Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Puzzles and Other Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   a game of werewolf (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=79456)

gorie 04-04-2006 11:08 PM

a game of werewolf

anyone interested in trying a game on the forum ? it might be fun (or it might be a terrible idea), i figure it's worth a try.

we'd want at least 11 players.

here's how it works...

people are assigned roles by the game moderator (that would be me). your role is to be kept secret. a player will only know their own role, but players with a role other than an ordinary villager will also know which of the other players share that same role. so, werewolves will know who the other werewolves are, but ordinary villagers do not know who the other ordinary villagers are. werewolves will need to work together in private selecting their victims.

at least 2 players will be a werewolf, at least 1 will be a seer, the rest will be ordinary villagers. the seer is a special villager that has the ability to detect werewolves. there are other options available but that is what i would go with for this one to keep it simple.

the players represent a village. it is the goal of the werewolves to slaughter the village. the villagers must try to eliminate the werewolves. if the number of non-werewolves is equal to or less than the number or werewolves the werewolves win.

the game has 2 phases, cycling between between day time, and night time.

during the night phase, the werewolves select a victim to kill (they will PM me with their selected target). the seer will select a person in secret as well, and they will gain information on this person's role.

during the day time, the village awakes to discover the corpse of the villager killed by the werewolves. they want revenge. all players form lynch mob and take part in voting.

all living players (including the bad guys) can exchange public messages trying to influence voting. everyone wants to stay alive. players will be allowed to change their vote until the majority vote is in, or all players have voted.

votes during the day phase should be in bold, written like i vote for gorie. if you already placed a vote and are changing it, it should read i change my vote from gorie to gorieiscool. so it will be easier for me to keep track of the voting.

the player who receives the most votes is lynched, and their role is revealed. dead players are no longer able to participate in the game (or you can ruin it for the rest of us).

it starts out pretty random but can get good sometimes.

once a player is lynched, night falls and the cycle repeats.

werewolves select another person to kill, and seer secretly learns another persons status. sun rises, player is found dead, remaining players discuss lynching. repeat until one side wins.

anyway, post if you're interested in joining the game and giving it a try. preferably people who can check the forum every day so it doesn't drag on forever waiting for moves.

or you can tell me i'm stupid and tl;dr, whichever. just something to do.

nation 04-04-2006 11:10 PM

Re: a game of werewolf

Im in.

Andrew Karpinski 04-04-2006 11:12 PM

This sounds fun can I play?

keikiwai 04-04-2006 11:13 PM

This may be a good idea. Edit: I'm interested in watching how this turns out, it just sounds too complicated for me.

PS: Please change your avatar to one that is the proper size. It looks out of focus.

Try this:

http://gimeimages.com/uploads/162172birthdaybear.gif

jba 04-04-2006 11:15 PM

count me in!

Fatt Albert 04-04-2006 11:17 PM

This sounds a bit like the party game "Mafia".

Anqew 04-04-2006 11:26 PM

Wow gorie, ORIGINAL.
-Anqew

gorie 04-04-2006 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow gorie, ORIGINAL.
-Anqew

[/ QUOTE ]
huh ? i didn't say i made it up.

gorie 04-04-2006 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This sounds a bit like the party game "Mafia".

[/ QUOTE ]
probably because it is then, i dunno. i just know it as werewolf.
there are other options available to play , like with an angel, or an illusionist. also can have a third faction of mafia with police, and medic. or masons

The DaveR 04-04-2006 11:39 PM

I just read about this game in a Jonathan Lethem short story like last month. Weird.

keikiwai 04-04-2006 11:48 PM

ok. i just re-read the instructions, it actually doesn't sound complicated.

count me in

Alex Jacob 04-04-2006 11:52 PM

ok i will play if it happens nowish.

sightless 04-04-2006 11:53 PM

Ill play I guess O_O

jesusarenque 04-04-2006 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

gorie 04-04-2006 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it can take days to finish the game, so i'm not sure what "nowish" means exactly. probably won't start until tomorrow (if we get enough people).

it would be best not to sign up unless you check the forums every day.

so far i've got:

nation
Andrew Karpinski
jba
keikiwai
Sightless

Alex Jacob 04-04-2006 11:56 PM

i didn't you literally meant "day" when you were describing it. why does it have to take days?

sightless 04-04-2006 11:58 PM

Please elaborate on the role of the seer again.

gorie 04-05-2006 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i didn't you literally meant "day" when you were describing it. why does it have to take days?

[/ QUOTE ]

well, a day phase doesn't really take a day, it goes by when moves & voting are complete. but considering you have to wait for everyone to make their moves each phase, and can involve discussion later in the game to figure out who is who, it rarely is something that can be done very quickly.

jba 04-05-2006 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

a seer is a villager. each day they can pick a player to find out if that player is a seer, villager, or werewolf. The only thing they can really do with that information is vote for werewolves perfectly.

gorie 04-05-2006 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the seer is a villager with special abilities. during the night phase, the seer will PM me a target. they will then learn if their target is a villager, or a werewolf.

the seer is important to the village, because they can sway votes during the day phase with the information they gather. but at the same time, they can't really come right out and say "i know so-n-so is a villager, do not lynch him!! i know because i am the seer." because then during the next night phase, the werewolves can kill him.

the werewolves want the seer dead asap.

sightless 04-05-2006 12:05 AM

ok, but can a werewolf say, "hey I am a seer and I know who the werewolf is".

and it would be in seers best interest to keep his identity hidden, interesting.

gorie 04-05-2006 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ok, but can a werewolf say, "hey I am a seer and I know who the werewolf is".

and it would be in seers best interest to keep his identity hidden, interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes !

jesusarenque 04-05-2006 12:08 AM

im in

nation 04-05-2006 12:08 AM

We need more people...cmon fools, you have nothing better to do.

bobbyi 04-05-2006 12:09 AM

I'm in.

Alex Jacob 04-05-2006 12:11 AM

i have nothing better to do right now, but in the coming days i will. i'd be in for some kind of speed game taht starts and ends tonight though

tightplay 04-05-2006 12:12 AM

im in
wut will the thread be called?

Kramer. 04-05-2006 12:13 AM

Ok, this could be really lame or really cool.

Will there be a dedicated werewolf thread?
How will you keep non-players from effing it up?

ah, screw it, I'll play.

gorie 04-05-2006 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
im in
wut will the thread be called?

[/ QUOTE ]

might just continue with this once once the game starts, or i'll start a new one called werewolf 1 or something , in case we do more [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

gorie 04-05-2006 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, this could be really lame or really cool.

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah, we'll see...

[ QUOTE ]
Will there be a dedicated werewolf thread?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes. either this one or i will create a new one.

[ QUOTE ]
How will you keep non-players from effing it up?

[/ QUOTE ]
non-players won't really have any game info and won't be assigned roles. if they start voting we'll ignore their votes. basically the people playing will just have to ignore them.

[ QUOTE ]
ah, screw it, I'll play.

[/ QUOTE ]

cool [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

gorie 04-05-2006 12:19 AM

current list of players:

nation
Andrew Karpinski
jba
keikiwai
Sightless
jesusarenque
bobbyi
tightplay
Kramer.

tightplay 04-05-2006 12:21 AM

question...wut if sear is killed first?
and does each werewolf killa person or do the werewolves in general just kil one person each night?

gorie 04-05-2006 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
question...wut if sear is killed first?
and does each werewolf killa person or do the werewolves in general just kil one person each night?

[/ QUOTE ]

the werewolves only kill 1 person per night.
the werewolves need to decide together in PMs who they want to kill during night phase, and then PM me the target.

if the seer is killed first, it just means the village is less 1 advantage, but game continues as normal. villagers can still win.

tightplay 04-05-2006 12:33 AM

do the werewolves get to vote during hte day?
and how would hte seer go about persuaing the other villagers?

gorie 04-05-2006 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
do the werewolves get to vote during hte day?
and how would hte seer go about persuaing the other villagers?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes the werewolves vote during the day. the act as normal villagers during the day.

as far as how the seer pursuades voters, that's up to the seer.

gorie 04-05-2006 12:38 AM

well guys i'm about to go to bed, but hopefully we can start tomorrow.

we could still use some more, so sign up if you want to play !

tightplay 04-05-2006 12:39 AM

ok...how random is the picking of whos seer and whos werewolf and whos just a village bum?

gorie 04-05-2006 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ok...how random is the picking of whos seer and whos werewolf and whos just a village bum?

[/ QUOTE ]

as random as picking out of a hat. except i don't have a hat... but it will be random. the only thing is making sure the ratio is fair, usually around 2 werewolves to around 8 villagers should be ok.

talentdeficit 04-05-2006 12:48 AM

i'll play. i'm a werewolf pro.

Born 2 Loose 04-05-2006 12:48 AM

According to this list of full moon days you can't play for about a week.