Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MOD DISCUSSION (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   the mmtbone thread - mod discussion (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=72948)

diebitter 03-28-2006 02:33 PM

the mmtbone thread - mod discussion

surely as mods we shouldn't be discussing it IN the pulled post?

And can we keep quiet about who pulled it? When it gets noticed, I'm hoping to make some money on prop bets that it was/wasn't me [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] (I kid)

jason_t 03-28-2006 02:34 PM

Re: the mmtbone thread - mod discussion

This is absurd.

[ QUOTE ]
[11:34] mmbt0ne: astro moved it because people complained about me saying lori is a dude
[11:34] mmbt0ne: well, astro sent me a pm
[11:34] mmbt0ne: i dont know if he moved it, or was just responding to mine
[11:35] jason_t: i don't understand everyone knows lori is a dude
[11:35] mmbt0ne: I KNOW!!
[11:35] mmbt0ne: everyone ive talked to about it has said that

[/ QUOTE ]

stabn 03-28-2006 02:35 PM

There's a long history of people calling lori a man on the forums. I'm not going to bother to search for it but it isn't really a secret.

ZBTHorton 03-28-2006 02:36 PM

Just a quick question.

Is Lorinda some kind of trans-sexual? or wish to be regarded as female for some kind of important reason?

I always knew it was a guy...not sure why I remember that...but it'd be important for me to know why this is so important to him.

Dids 03-28-2006 02:37 PM

db,

I was waiting for astro to start a thread about it, but he didn't. We can always just delete the mod posts.

I can't believe Lori would contemplate suing. Seriously- I don't know anybody who isn't aware of his gender. Somebody told me a long time ago, and it's been talked about a ton in IRC. There's simply no big secret that got out of the bag here.

I suppose if it's the difference between avoiding an nuisance suit from a lunatic, delete the offending post and move on. Frankly, I'd rather ban the offending lunatic/anti-rakeback troll and move on.

durron597 03-28-2006 02:40 PM

One other thing to consider guys:

[ QUOTE ]
the privacy rule: don't discuss a person's private life unless you're sure they wouldn't mind.

if you refer to people using pronouns or edited pictures, there's obviously no reasonable way that we could determine who they are. many threads around here have been edited, locked, or deleted because it became obvious that very bad things were being posted, and that either they could find out about it easily or a poster here could find them easily. these are the sort of things that can result in a lawsuit. perhaps a frivelous one, but an easily avoidable one. so make it fair, or anonymize the subject of your discussions.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, I think Lorinda is clearly right here if we want to follow our own rules - though again I don't want mmbt0ne to be banned or even suspended. I'm going to solidify my position (for whatever it's worth) that the offending posts should be removed and the thread restored, unlocked).

VoraciousReader 03-28-2006 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe Lori would contemplate suing. Seriously- I don't know anybody who isn't aware of his gender. Somebody told me a long time ago, and it's been talked about a ton in IRC. There's simply no big secret that got out of the bag here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Surely this is just satire of the ZBT drama and the ensuing brouhaha?

astroglide 03-28-2006 02:42 PM

here are the last 2 pms i've sent lori. they're basically wigging out on me and not making any sense.

does anybody know of a thread in which lori has participated where they were called a man or a woman and didn't freak out?

----

you can hold yourself responsible for a lack of action if you're too emotional to reason out why it should be taken.

i am not going to ban people any time it is requested. you would enjoy the same privilege if somebody called for your head. i said i want to work with you. if you want something done, you need to work with me.

i explained in plain english how people in oot are. if it is your concern that people will believe you are male as a result of his post, i can virtually assure you that it will only be MORE believed if i edit the comments out.

if you don't care about that, you are simply offended at the idea of anybody talking about you, or whatever you need to explain what is going on. i am trying to do what appears to be best for everyone, but you're not even telling me why you want what you want.

-----

get a [censored] grip. my last post was at 12:41AM. your first mod notice was at 12:54AM. i was not on 2+2.

where is the trainwreck? you are completely overreacting. there is 1 calm question, 1 calm response, and literally nobody commented on it.

i don't even know mmb, so he is not my buddy. i couldn't name a single post the guy has ever made outside of this one.

regarding pronouns, could you trouble yourself to read the entire sentence? if you refer to people using pronouns or edited pictures, there's obviously no reasonable way that we could determine who they are.. yeah, that really supports your point.

obviously you are upset by this. i tried to suggest a public denial because i assumed that you actually gave a crap about people thinking you were male, but it sounds to me like this is all a line of [censored] and it's just some kind of feud with mmb. the post is in the mod forum right now, but i will have it returned to oot unless you get a grip on your emotions and provide me with some REASONING. REASONING is what i need. i need to know WHY you are upset so that we can figure out the best way to address you. it is very clear what upsets you, and what sort of punitive action you want. it is meaningless unless i understand the reason why.

Dids 03-28-2006 02:43 PM

durron,

I can't remember how I know he's a man, but I'm 90% sure it's from somebody who met him in an MTG tournament. I think he's abandonded any reasonable expectation of privacy here.

durron597 03-28-2006 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You must not know Lori very well [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

durron597 03-28-2006 02:48 PM

Lori just sent me this over instant messenger

[ QUOTE ]

if i find any evidence of a situation where someone has discussed your gender and you did not throw at least an equal hissy fit, you will be banned.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is going a little too far for someone who regularly writes magazine articles and wrote the Zoo sticky.

Also Lori's exact words in msn were:

[ QUOTE ]

[13:19] Ms. Lorinda Dingles: I may even threaten to take 2+2 to court

[/ QUOTE ]

I have chat logs to this effect if necessary, I shouldn't have even mentioned it in my other post, and Lori didn't say for sure that the threat would be made for real, I think that was a private statement to me that was made more out of frustration than for real.

jason_t 03-28-2006 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
durron,

I can't remember how I know he's a man, but I'm 90% sure it's from somebody who met him in an MTG tournament. I think he's abandonded any reasonable expectation of privacy here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew it too, and I've known it for a long time. One of the reasons that it sticks in my mind is because I go to school with a British person named Lori who is also a man. He said it's common in England.

I like him because he dated my ex for a little and called her "mental" but that's a different story.

astroglide 03-28-2006 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I suppose if it's the difference between avoiding an nuisance suit from a lunatic, delete the offending post and move on. Frankly, I'd rather ban the offending lunatic/anti-rakeback troll and move on.

[/ QUOTE ]

i plan on banning lori if i find any evidence that somebody else said they were a man, lori knew about it, and lori didn't freak out.

VoraciousReader 03-28-2006 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
does anybody know of a thread in which lori has participated where they were called a man or a woman and didn't freak out?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't name a thread but even I have known for so long that it seems I have "always" known and I don't participate in off the forum chat, have only started reading OOT after I kept getting linked there as a mod, and am by no stretch of the imagination one of the "cool kids" or "insiders".

astroglide 03-28-2006 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is going a little too far for someone who regularly writes magazine articles and wrote the Zoo sticky.

[/ QUOTE ]

lori is wasting everybody's time here and inconveniencing anybody that is interested in the thread if this "outrage" is selectively enforced because of some sort of personal agenda.

dude: lori is a man
lori: hi dude

other dude: lori is a man
lori: other dude, do you like bowling?

mmb: lori is a man
lori: MY RIGHTS AS A HUMAN HAVE BEEN VIOLATED!

this is total [censored] if that's the case

Dids 03-28-2006 02:53 PM

durron,

If you're in AIM communication with him, please feel free to share what I've said about knowledge of his gender. Although since he holds a monster grudge against me, I'm not sure what it will mean.

VoraciousReader 03-28-2006 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You must not know Lori very well [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, not at all (except for the genie stories and the occasional anti-rakeback rant)...BUT I knew he was male.

Which, imo, is the point.

stabn 03-28-2006 03:00 PM

I'm having horrible perf opening threads on archiveserver right now which is making this a real bitch.

Sniper 03-28-2006 03:01 PM

fwiw... threatening to sue 2+2 should be an instant ban!

durron597 03-28-2006 03:02 PM

Here's the last thread on the topic in the SnG forum.

Lorinda's gender

Look at the poll results.

Also

[ QUOTE ]
durron,

If you're in AIM communication with him, please feel free to share what I've said about knowledge of his gender. Although since he holds a monster grudge against me, I'm not sure what it will mean.

[/ QUOTE ]

Done. Also Lorinda holds a huge grudge against you because you said you wanted him (yes I'm aware of what pronoun I just used everyone here knows by this point obviously) to go broke among other things

VoraciousReader 03-28-2006 03:19 PM

Thanks for the link...I lost my job yesterday and for some reason Big Limpin's post made me laugh for 5 minutes.

astroglide 03-28-2006 03:25 PM

could an admin please edit out the references to lori and return the thread to oot?

if anybody knows of a lori/gender thread in which lori has actually participated, i would appreciate it.

diebitter 03-28-2006 03:29 PM

An admin might wish to take off the last few comments by mods too?

durron597 03-28-2006 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
among other things

[/ QUOTE ]

thread

Edit: I should add that this isn't a big deal to me, but I'm posting these because you did ask

stabn 03-28-2006 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
among other things

[/ QUOTE ]

thread

Edit: I should add that this isn't a big deal to me, but I'm posting these because you did ask

[/ QUOTE ]

Dids is fairly accurate in that link, imo. Especially considering lori's current flip out.

Ryan Beal 03-28-2006 03:40 PM

How much would you like me to delete here? I'm trying to decide if I should delete the question, too.

Link

durron597 03-28-2006 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
among other things

[/ QUOTE ]

thread

[/ QUOTE ]

Dids is fairly accurate in that link, imo. Especially considering lori's current flip out.

[/ QUOTE ]

That wasn't the point, the point was "why lorinda doesn't like dids" not "is dids justified in the things he's said about lorinda" which is a discussion I definitely don't want to have right now

astroglide 03-28-2006 03:49 PM

i would say the question, the answer, and any references to the question or the answer (i don't think there are any of those)

Ryan Beal 03-28-2006 03:52 PM

Okay, it will be done shortly. Some will probably ask what happened, because at least one post will be 'Deleted by Cola'.

Mat Sklansky 03-28-2006 03:52 PM

I'd like mike Haven's opinion on this issue with lorinda. Maybe we should just delete her entire account.

Ryan Beal 03-28-2006 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like mike Haven's opinion on this issue with lorinda. Maybe we should just delete her entire account.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good timing. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

astroglide 03-28-2006 03:56 PM

are there 2 accounts, lori and lorinda? same person?

durron597 03-28-2006 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

Ryan Beal 03-28-2006 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

[/ QUOTE ]

lorinda

Lori

Commodus 03-28-2006 04:18 PM

We've reached a new pinnacle of excellence in prudish overmoderation it seems. How pathetic. I'm guessing diebitter is in some way responsible for this?

Cola, you might as well just delete the entire OOT forum while you're at it. Nowadays, it's rife with immaturity and vulgarity. It's just a cesspool, really. How I wish we could return to the halcyon times of threads about Andyfox's trip to the car wash with Clarkmeister and Dynasty.

diebitter 03-28-2006 04:30 PM

Would the emperor like a little wager about his guessing abilities?

[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

durron597 03-28-2006 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing diebitter is in some way responsible for this?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
And can we keep quiet about who pulled it? When it gets noticed, I'm hoping to make some money on prop bets that it was/wasn't me :D (I kid)

[/ QUOTE ]

How much did you win?

diebitter 03-28-2006 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How much did you win?

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, no one spotted it was gone, so none to be made. Unless his peripatetic-ness wants to double a grand I have in neteller and put his money where his guesses are? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Mike Haven 03-28-2006 04:36 PM

I was staying out of this because I've been on good pm/e-mail terms with lorinda for four or five years, and know bits and pieces about lorinda's real life, although lorinda has always been a very private person both on and off the boards.

If you look at lorinda's posting history, you will see that although people try to hit on lorinda every now and then, lorinda will NEVER respond in a sexual way. The ONLY indication that lorinda is female is the name lorinda, and, of course, the avatar.

Obviously, I know lorinda's real name and sex, but I am not going to state what I know, as this is confidential information given to me because of our friendly relationship.

I have not been in touch with lorinda over this matter, and it does seem like a bit of an over-reaction, to me, and I can't explain why it has become such a big deal to lorinda on this occasion.

I accept fully that if lorinda prefers that everyone thinks lorinda is female, that's lorinda's prerogative in a largely anonymous internet forum.

lorinda is a very intelligent person, and, (although I didn't tell lorinda), it seems to me that somehow lorinda has discovered that if a poster wants something deleted, and it isn't, then Twoplustwo could be sued - hence, the threat of legal action to get the relevant posts deleted, which is probably in reality all lorinda wants.

(Again, in reality, people in the UK don't sue, as a rule - it's a different world over here in that respect - so it is an empty threat, I believe. lorinda's good at running bluffs, don't forget!)

I'd HATE lorinda to be banned. lorinda is a major part of Twoplustwo's history. I can't actually see any reason to ban lorinda, simply because lorinda has reacted angrily to a thread that has really pissed lorinda off, for whatever reason.

I would ask that we delete the "offending" posts, as lorinda requested, and let the water run under the bridge. In fact, lorinda might leave of lorinda's own accord if lorinda falls out with more than a couple of people over this - it's the way lorinda is as a person.

Finally, Lori was created because at one point GrannyMae was on death's door, with 2500 posts to Granny's name. lorinda vowed that lorinda would never post more than 2500 posts, as a sign of respect, and therefore had to start the Lori account. After Granny's heart operation and recovery, lorinda was able to post again. In the early days of the use of the two accounts, I think lorinda was used for poker posts and Lori for chat posts, (or vice versa). I don't know if that is the case now, as lorinda sort of fell out with me when I was made a moderator in "lorinda's" Zoo, and lorinda moved to the strategy forums.

Ryan Beal 03-28-2006 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cola, you might as well just delete the entire OOT forum while you're at it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not deleting or editing anything at this point, fwiw.

Since Mat and Mike Haven are around, one of them will probably take care of it after everyone figures out what should happen next. I'm actually not going to be online for much longer this afternoon/evening, anyway.