Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   The Best Poster in SMP (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=557928)

Borodog 11-30-2007 11:52 AM

The Best Poster in SMP

Imo is a dead heat between vhawk and Metric. I'll let others elaborate.

Honorable mention goes to chezlaw.

We're all Sklanskys here; who do you annoint?

Nielsio 11-30-2007 12:09 PM

Re: The Best Poster in SMP

I know Splendour is the worst.

Mr_Moore 11-30-2007 12:15 PM

chezlaw is the coolest for sure.

Taraz 11-30-2007 12:28 PM

Is this just a question of which poster we agree with the most? If that is the case, I would say probably tame_deuces and RDuke (although he rarely posts here anymore).

Borodog 11-30-2007 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this just a question of which poster we agree with the most? If that is the case, I would say probably tame_deuces and RDuke (although he rarely posts here anymore).

[/ QUOTE ]

It's whatever you want it to be, about whomever you want it to be about, for whatever reasons.

pokervintage 11-30-2007 12:45 PM

I like me because I am the only poster of whom I read everything he (me) writes.

pokervintage

soon2bepro 11-30-2007 12:51 PM

I know I'm forgetting some people, but I would have to say Metric, Sklansky, and you (Borodog), in that order

I like madnak too.

chezlaw is fun but he can also be quite annoying

luckyme 11-30-2007 12:52 PM

Best?
I'd pick from the list of ones whose names I can't wait to click on when I see a post from them.
I suck at 'best' questions. I have enough trouble choosing the restaurant to go to.
The ones that smack me upside the head when I'm out of line ( in random order) ... Chezlaw, Bunny, Vhawk, Madnak, T...
nah, this is too tough.

luckyme

Borodog 11-30-2007 12:57 PM

luckyme,

I know, but it doesn't have to be exhaustive. FTR, I'm sad I forgot to honorable mention you with Chezlaw. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Borodog 11-30-2007 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and you (Borodog)

[/ QUOTE ]

Serious bizniz answers only, please. I am a mediocre SMP poster at best, and we all know it. I'll let others elaborate.

soon2bepro 11-30-2007 01:01 PM

what are you talking about? Mostly every post I've seen from you is correct, and you contribute quite a bit, especially in the science department

Borodog 11-30-2007 01:09 PM

You are clearly not reading enough vhawk and Metric posts.

I have made lots of posts where I was wrong, dead wrong. I don't ever recall seing vhawk or Metric be wrong, for example.

But it's mnore than that. I guess I'm going to have to elaborate on why I think their [censored] don't stink. vhawk can say something in a paragraph better than I could have said in an essay. He has a way of cutting right to the heart of something and putting it in a light that just makes it obvious and intuitive. Metric knows his [censored] upside and down, and just posts the most interesting and insightful things. Not to mention the fact that I defy you to find a Metric OP that is not thought-provoking, and at some level profound.

luckyme 11-30-2007 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
vhawk can say something in a paragraph better than I could have said in an essay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I'll give that the most weight in my Best list .
Chezlaw. He often squeezes clearly into a sentence concepts that would take me paragraphs to be unclear about AND he does it using highly technical terms like carrots and beer.

luckyme

Justin A 11-30-2007 01:23 PM

Phil153 ftw.

SNOWBALL 11-30-2007 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Phil153 ftw.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol

I like Luckyme and Lestat a lot. Actually, I like a lot of you guys.

Mr_Moore 11-30-2007 01:42 PM

Also, it would be interesting to find out what kind of educational background our favorite posters have.

foal 11-30-2007 01:53 PM

Yay popularity contests. The funniest and most entertaining threads I've read in here have been debates between Phil153 and Borodog, so I'll go with those two.

Borodog 11-30-2007 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yay popularity contests.

[/ QUOTE ]

See what a mediocre SMP poster I am?

I rest my case.

Lestat 11-30-2007 02:05 PM

Maybe it's because you and Sklansky are teachers that you think in such terms as 'best' (if DS isn't officially a teacher, he's for sure one in spirit).

To be honest, I don't have a best, because I'm not good at grading. Is Vhawk the most accurate? He's for sure among the top posters I like to read.

I can say that I believe one of the most underrated posters is luckyme. I always enjoy the slightly quirky and off the wall manner in which he presents a bit of logic. Maybe I just enjoy his brand of humor and style.

For sheer accuracy, I'd have to go with people like yourself, Borodog, DS, Vhawk, Pairthe board, Metric, and I'm sure I'm missing many (another reason why I don't like 'best' lists).

When it comes to math, no one impresses me more than BruceZ. Although I don't understand alot of the math topics, so could easily be missing people. I know PTB and others are also very astute in math.

I'd also have to mention people like Kurto and Chez in number of posts that I most enjoy reading. Not only for their logic, but for their eloquence and delivery. Very often while reading their posts, I'm thinking, "Yes! Yes! Exactly! I wish I would've said that!". I also enjoy midge, maxweiss, and again, I'm forgetting many.

But there are many other very worthy contributors. Bunny, NR, snowball, bobkl (sure I misspelled that), come to mind, but I'm going to be embarrassed at all the ones I'm forgetting.

Lastly, there are some posters who many would label as clearly NOT good, but who nevertheless put up posts that spark interesting debates.

So I'll leave 'best' for you guys to judge. But those I mentioned (and all who I'm forgetting), are some of the people that make SMP a place I like to check in on most days when I get the chance.

mbillie1 11-30-2007 02:17 PM

vhawk imo

madnak 11-30-2007 02:48 PM

I don't believe in best either. There are at least 15 posters here whom I would equally hate to see go. Probably more, I won't try naming them because I'd forget people who deserve to be mentioned. I like those who are interesting and make me think, and I don't much care about writing quality or accuracy.

Borodog 11-30-2007 02:54 PM

Can't believe I forgot lehighguy for an HM. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

PairTheBoard 11-30-2007 03:07 PM

carlos

PTB

govman6767 11-30-2007 03:19 PM

Ahhhh you all know what Jack Burton says at a time like this.....

Who

Jack Burton... ME !!!!!!

Subfallen 11-30-2007 03:27 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] everyone.

Peter666 is the most interesting poster to me because he seems completely insane and yet charming all at once.

vhawk01 11-30-2007 04:30 PM

Its hard for me to separate "has lots and lots of posts and some of them are bound to be good" from like the consistently best poster. And there are lots of really good posters. So, considering I'm probably overweighting posting history, my favorite SMP posters are luckyme, chezlaw and madnak, in no particular order. Honorable mentions: Metric, Subfallen, ChrisV (he doesnt post as much any more but I'm shocked no one mentioned him) and then a bunch more I guess.

EDIT: Oh and definitely Phil.

scorcher863 11-30-2007 04:34 PM

vhawk, I keep my pocket dictionary at hand when reading his posts. madnak is pretty much the man too. Also, posters i enjoy: lestat,tame dueces,and luckyme. Jay shark for the math end. Splendour for fueling the fire.

Edit: oh yeah, phil that damn twit
vhawk strikes again

madnak 11-30-2007 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
has lots and lots of posts and some of them are bound to be good

[/ QUOTE ]

We should put more emphasis on these posters. They totally kick more ass than anyone else.

chezlaw 11-30-2007 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are clearly not reading enough vhawk and Metric posts.

I have made lots of posts where I was wrong, dead wrong. I don't ever recall seing vhawk or Metric be wrong, for example.

[/ QUOTE ]
generally agree with the consensus, you're probably right about Metric I wish I could understand his posts.

Being wrong would be a big step up for some posters. Some of your posts have been thought provoking and interesting, matters not a jot if they were wrong.

and you can be annoying, apparantly a good thing.

chez

Kimbell175113 11-30-2007 04:54 PM

I lurk SMP a lot:

ChrisV - best writer.
vhawk and chez - best 'high-volume' posters.
madnak and Metric - my favorites.

vhawk01 11-30-2007 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
has lots and lots of posts and some of them are bound to be good

[/ QUOTE ]

We should put more emphasis on these posters. They totally kick more ass than anyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. And I have like 3000 more posts than you now so...

Taraz 11-30-2007 05:28 PM

I just wanted to pop in and add that as much as I disagree with him on a few topics, Phil153 probably makes me think about things and work hard to clarify my positions the most. I think that should count as part of what constitutes the "best" poster.

Most of the people people have mentioned are pretty awesome. Chez, vhawk, luckyme, borodog, ChrisV, bunny, madnak, lestat . . . basically anybody who posts here regularly is pretty solid. It seems like what happens is that some random people come in, get torn to shreds by the intelligent and poignant commentary and then slink away embarrassed. If you're still posting, you probably have some skills.

GoodCallYouWin 11-30-2007 06:10 PM

Lestat FTW.

hitch1978 11-30-2007 06:53 PM

I love all the regular posters, including Splendour!

When I first stumbled accross SMP, Foal was my #1 poster, and I still think his posts are spot on. I have never seen him be wrong on any subject, and would endorse 99% of his posts.

Then I (in my mind) promoted Phil as my favourite, mainly due to work done in geo-political threads, where I am pretty sure he is SMP god. Prove me wrong.

Then the philosolophical prowess of Madnak and Subfallen started to play on my mind, and I quickly became aware that the man for the job depended on the job.

While trying to balance all my above favourites, I was occasionally struck to my core in the most profoumd way by metric's posts. Few and far between, but they hurt.

I have to admit that one poster that seems to come in the top 3 of most people's list that I miss from mine is Vhawk. and the reason is pretty petty. I just hate posts that quote a whole book when they want to comment on the last sentance.

I also like conversing with NotReady, tamedueces and Taraz. I find our conversations refreshing.

I am sure there are more.

Lestat 11-30-2007 07:05 PM

<font color="blue"> It seems like what happens is that some random people come in, get torn to shreds by the intelligent and poignant commentary and then slink away embarrassed. If you're still posting, you probably have some skills. </font>

Excellent point and I think this says much about people like NotReady. Although I'll probably never see things his way, he hangs in there with the best of them.

vhawk01 11-30-2007 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love all the regular posters, including Splendour!

When I first stumbled accross SMP, Foal was my #1 poster, and I still think his posts are spot on. I have never seen him be wrong on any subject, and would endorse 99% of his posts.

Then I (in my mind) promoted Phil as my favourite, mainly due to work done in geo-political threads, where I am pretty sure he is SMP god. Prove me wrong.

Then the philosolophical prowess of Madnak and Subfallen started to play on my mind, and I quickly became aware that the man for the job depended on the job.

While trying to balance all my above favourites, I was occasionally struck to my core in the most profoumd way by metric's posts. Few and far between, but they hurt.

I have to admit that one poster that seems to come in the top 3 of most people's list that I miss from mine is Vhawk. and the reason is pretty petty. I just hate posts that quote a whole book when they want to comment on the last sentance.

I also like conversing with NotReady, tamedueces and Taraz. I find our conversations refreshing.

I am sure there are more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha I am really lazy when it comes to quoting people and I never go into the quote and type in what I am responding to. I guess I can see how thats annoying but I'm pretty unlikely to change so tough biscuits. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

hitch1978 11-30-2007 07:17 PM

I have honestly read (probably) &lt;5% of your posts because of this reason, but due to your references, that will now change [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Also, who is your worst poster? I don't like the way hopey always drags any discussion with any religious connotations into the gutter. He is the only poster I have not seeen add any value.

Phil153 11-30-2007 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm in hiding at the moment since RDuke55 challenged me to provide citations for my claims in the black thread. Takes time to get that [censored] together and write it out. Individual evidence is suspect but taken together it's like a brain explosion.

I don't have a favorite poster, but NotReady is high on the list.

NotReady 11-30-2007 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't have a favorite poster, but NotReady is high on the list.

[/ QUOTE ]

Life is confusing.

My 2 cents:

Bunny - the fairest and most thoughtful - he actually makes me think about my posts sometimes.

RJT 11-30-2007 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
chezlaw is the coolest for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I can't be Mick Jagger when I grow up, then I want to be chez. Somedays it is just chez (I don't think I have the energy to be Jagger anyway).