Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Averaging Grades (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=556966)

NNNNOOOOONAN 11-29-2007 02:20 AM

Averaging Grades

My fiancee is a T.A. in a music class and she has to figure out grades for the kids in the class. There are five things the kids are graded on and they all are weighted differently:

Tests: 45%
Quizzes: 20%
Participation/Attendance: 15%
Online Assignments: 10%
Concert Reports: 10%

Anyone know how to explain how to figure out how to give the grades?

Thanks.

foal 11-29-2007 02:22 AM

Re: Averaging Grades

just give them all As imo..

NNNNOOOOONAN 11-29-2007 02:28 AM

omg, that's what i said, except Fs

mikeczyz 11-29-2007 02:47 AM

That's funny...my ex-fiancee is a music teacher and we also had the EXACT same conversation.

NNNNOOOOONAN 11-29-2007 03:06 AM

so, what did you come up with?

ItalianFX 11-29-2007 03:06 AM

Take the weights and multiply them by total grades for each section, then just add them up.

Example:

Tests: 90 * .45 = 40.5
Quizzes: 100 * .20 = 20
Participation: 100 * .15 = 15
Online Assignments: 90 * .10 = 9
Concert Reports: 85 * .10 = 8.5

Total = 93%

tshort 11-29-2007 03:09 AM

Is she a 6th grader T.A.ing the 4th grade chorus?

NNNNOOOOONAN 11-29-2007 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Take the weights and multiply them by total grades for each section, then just add them up.

Example:

Total = 93%

[/ QUOTE ]

i have to way to know if this is right, but i'm probably just going to go with it, thank you very, very much.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

your mother

vhawk01 11-29-2007 08:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Example:

Total = 93%

[/ QUOTE ]

i have to way to know if this is right, but i'm probably just going to go with it, thank you very, very much.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

your mother

[/ QUOTE ]

Really, NO WAY to know?

FortunaMaximus 11-29-2007 10:00 AM

Or you could do this:

total = (t * .45) + (q * .2) + (p * .15) + (o * .1) + (c * .1)

Cleaner and gives you what IFX did. (Assuming you already have the scores for the above criteria already. If not, you're pretty much SOL.)

thylacine 11-29-2007 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My fiancee is a T.A. in a music class and she has to figure out grades for the kids in the class. There are five things the kids are graded on and they all are weighted differently:

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take the grade vector and the weight vector in five dimensional space and multiply their lengths and the cosine of the angle between them.

Nielsio 11-29-2007 11:29 AM

For real? Education is so dirtpoor today if even the teacher can't figure this out.

madnak 11-29-2007 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i have to way to know if this is right

[/ QUOTE ]

It's definitely right, and I'm sure you could understand a proof if you took the time to bother with it.

madnak 11-29-2007 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For real? Education is so dirtpoor today if even the teacher can't figure this out.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's better than it's ever been, sadly. Probably OP and his fiancee once solved problems like this using the "plug it in" approach and even got okay grades in high school math.

I've met many people who've passed calculus classes and are yet unable to grasp basic concepts. I mean, look at Monty Hall.

Oh, my mother and a few of her coworkers once spent an hour trying to explain a concept to another coworker. The other coworker was terrified of air travel after 9/11, and she wanted to find a way of bringing a bomb with her on a certain flight. Apparently she heard that the likelihood of two bombs independently being present on the same plane was extremely small, and so she thought that if she brought one bomb onboard, it would reduce the likelihood of another bomb being present. The attempts to explain her error failed, but she did give up on making a bomb.

Edit - coworker had a master's degree, btw. I think she made six figures.

Nielsio 11-29-2007 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's better than it's ever been, sadly.

[/ QUOTE ]

What makes you think that?

madnak 11-29-2007 12:13 PM

My knowledge of the quality of education in the past, the Flynn effect, my memories of my own schooling, the increasing ability of students to tackle harder subject matter. Then again, I'm only talking about the US and about the general trend (whether we're better than we were 10 years ago I don't know, but we're better than we were 100 years ago).

Wyman 11-29-2007 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take the grade vector and the weight vector in five dimensional space and multiply their lengths and the cosine of the angle between them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Before this, make sure you write the grade vector and weight vector with respect to the same basis, imo.

Bork 11-29-2007 03:56 PM

If she asked her students I bet at least a few of them would know, assuming they are over the age of 8.

NNNNOOOOONAN 11-29-2007 04:56 PM

thanks for the help guys.

i came in here for help because i'm not good at doing these things without sitting down to figure them out and i was on my way out the door last night.

Nielso,

you're an idiot. if you're basing the state of american education on whether my girlfriend wasn't sure about how to do this, you're an even bigger idiot. she's not a math person. that's why she's not going to be a math teacher. she's a terrific piano player. that's why she's going to teach music. haven't you ever taken a class that you had no interest in taking and were unsure of how to do something? there's no difference.

and wow, there are a lot of morons in this thread.

anyway, i digress, thanks guys.

and bork, if you even need help actually becoming a winning poker player, let me know.

Borodog 11-29-2007 05:32 PM

Noonan,

There's something that the above (serious) replies neglected, which is that the maximum score on each type of assignment might not be identical. In fact, they usually aren't, unless the instructor has been careful to construct the grades that way. For example, if the tests are graded out of 100 points, but the quizzes only 20 points, the above formula will NOT work.

You need to convert all the scores to the same range, multiply them by their individual weights, and add up the result. The easiest way to convert all the grades to the same range is to just divide each score by the maximum possible score for that type of grade.

An example:

Tests: 45%, maximum test grade is 100 pts.
Quizzes: 20%, maximum quiz grade is 20 pts.
Participation/Attendance: 15%, Max participation/attendance grade is 10 pt.
Online Assignments: 10%, Max online Assignments grade is 100 pts.
Concert Reports: 10%, Max concert report is 5 pts.

Assume a student has an 85 test average, a 15 quiz average, a 10 part./att. grade, a 95 online grade, and a 4 concert report grade.

That student's final grade would be given by:

(85/100)*0.45 +
(15/20)*0.2 +
(10/10)*0.15 +
(95/100)*0.1 +
(4/5)*0.1 = 0.86 = 86%

Kaj 11-29-2007 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
she's not a math person. that's why she's not going to be a math teacher. she's a terrific piano player. ... haven't you ever taken a class that you had no interest in taking and were unsure of how to do something? there's no difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

So she loves music but is so poor at math she can't even assign grades in her own class. I guess you just proved why just because you aren't a "math person" or math teacher, you still need basic mathematical skills.

I'm not an English teacher but still think its important to understand English.

NNNNOOOOONAN 11-29-2007 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
she's not a math person. that's why she's not going to be a math teacher. she's a terrific piano player. ... haven't you ever taken a class that you had no interest in taking and were unsure of how to do something? there's no difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

So she loves music but is so poor at math she can't even assign grades in her own class. I guess you just proved why just because you aren't a "math person" or math teacher, you still need basic mathematical skills.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is such a dumb statement i can't even come up with a witty thing to say about it.

madnak 11-29-2007 06:59 PM

Being good at something doesn't automatically qualify a person to teach it. Teaching is a separate skillset.

Nielsio 11-29-2007 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I CAN HAS LANG WISH?

vhawk01 11-29-2007 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Noonan,

There's something that the above (serious) replies neglected, which is that the maximum score on each type of assignment might not be identical. In fact, they usually aren't, unless the instructor has been careful to construct the grades that way. For example, if the tests are graded out of 100 points, but the quizzes only 20 points, the above formula will NOT work.

You need to convert all the scores to the same range, multiply them by their individual weights, and add up the result. The easiest way to convert all the grades to the same range is to just divide each score by the maximum possible score for that type of grade.

An example:

Assume a student has an 85 test average, a 15 quiz average, a 10 part./att. grade, a 95 online grade, and a 4 concert report grade.

(85/100)*0.45 +
(15/20)*0.2 +
(10/10)*0.15 +
(95/100)*0.1 +
(4/5)*0.1 = 0.86 = 86%

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL (I'm assuming this is mocking)

ItalianFX 11-29-2007 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Noonan,

An example:

(85/100)*0.45 +
(15/20)*0.2 +
(10/10)*0.15 +
(95/100)*0.1 +
(4/5)*0.1 = 0.86 = 86%

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. I was assuming all grades were out of 100, which is what you did, but one step backwards.

MoP_86 11-29-2007 07:17 PM

Is this whole thread a level?

Allinlife 11-29-2007 07:21 PM

I wish the public education system would teach more practical math stuff (well very similar to EV calculations we do in poker) that we can take advantage of many times through the course of our life when making various decisions.

tshort 11-30-2007 02:08 AM

Borodog,

I am sure you have experience with this:

What is the procedure if the test averages are around 40%?

vhawk01 11-30-2007 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this whole thread a level?

[/ QUOTE ]

Every time I am convinced it is someone posts something that makes me doubt it. Like I read OP, didnt think he was levelling, read the responses and his reubttal, figured he was, then read some outrage from OP, so maybe he isnt, read Boro's post, back to levelling, I really have no idea whats going on. I'm treating the whole thing like a level.

kevin017 11-30-2007 02:58 AM

i'm not positive whats going on here, but this thread makes me feel good about myself

goofball 11-30-2007 04:27 AM

Seriously, be smarter.

Alex-db 11-30-2007 06:58 AM

I think this is seriously worrying for any real teacher, but if she is a vocational instrument teacher, not an educator, then I think its OK.

I wouldn't be too worried if a boxing instructor needed a double check on putting a class grade together either.

VarlosZ 11-30-2007 07:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Noonan,

An example:

(85/100)*0.45 +
(15/20)*0.2 +
(10/10)*0.15 +
(95/100)*0.1 +
(4/5)*0.1 = 0.86 = 86%

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL (I'm assuming this is mocking)

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you assume that?

Anyway, In addition to what Boro said, I noticed that some college instructors who used a weighted grade system similar to the one in the OP would simplify the averaging process by grading the different parts of the class on the appropriate scale to begin with. So, for example, the tests would be graded 0-45, the quizes 0-20, etc. If the professor had enough forsight to do this, all you have to do is add up the various averages to get the total percentage from 0-100.

willie24 11-30-2007 07:37 AM

i'm not 100% sure what "level" means- but whether OP is kidding or not, there are definitely many people who would be incapable of solving this problem without help (>50% of world population?). while i know that to be true, it is almost hard for me to comprehend.
i think the explanation is something along the lines of: since i am a method X thinker, i have trouble comprehending the existence of method Y (and vice versa).

'method Y' obviously does not prevent people from surviving to adulthood, having kids, and otherwise being successful. there might even be advantages to it (since i don't understand it, i don't know what they would be).

tshort 11-30-2007 07:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is seriously worrying for any real teacher, but if she is a vocational instrument teacher, not an educator, then I think its OK.

[/ QUOTE ]

The issue isn't how their lack of basic math logic effects teaching a music course.

How do we possibly expect someone with a university degree who can't take weighted averages to understand a debate centered around something such as economic or monetary policy?

Borodog 11-30-2007 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Borodog,

I am sure you have experience with this:

What is the procedure if the test averages are around 40%?

[/ QUOTE ]

My test averages average 50%, by design. I just give the top 10% As, the next 20% Bs, the next 40% Cs, the next 20% Ds, and the lowest 10% fail.

goofball 11-30-2007 03:56 PM

Borodog,

Are you a physics professor?

T50_Omaha8 11-30-2007 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
she's not a math person. that's why she's not going to be a math teacher. she's a terrific piano player. that's why she's going to teach music.

[/ QUOTE ] Because math and music have nothing whatever in common...

Borodog 11-30-2007 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Borodog,

Are you a physics professor?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lecturer. It's like Professor Light.