Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Best NBA team to NOT win a title in the last 25 years (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=554204)

tuq 11-25-2007 03:49 PM

Best NBA team to NOT win a title in the last 25 years

I am interested in is people's opinions on teams that should have won against their competition that year but somehow fell short. Going back to the 25 years, this is what I've come up with:

Interestingly, in the period between the 1983 and 1990 seasons, only the Celtics failed to win the title despite having the best regular season record. That was in 1985 and the Lakers only won one fewer game. Plus it's hard to argue that any of those champions were clearly inferior to another team.

That leads us to the 1990 Los Angeles Lakers. In the year after Kareem's retirement, a seemingly rejuvenated Lakers squad led by MVP Magic Johnson and COY Pat Riley won 63 games but got pozzed in the second round by the Suns, 4-1.

The 1991 Portland Trailblazers dominated the regular season before falling fairly meekly to an inferior Lakers squad in the WCF, only to watch them lose to the Bulls in the finals.

The 1993 Phoenix Suns had Chuck Rock as their MVP and lots of veteran talent that had challenged for a ring for years leading up to that season. They paced the NBA with 62 wins that season and came close to beating the Bulls in the finals.

The 1994 Seattle Supersonics had an incredible regular season, winning 63 games and a +9.0 point differential and six players in double figures. But all anyone remembers is Dikembe Mutumbo clutching the ball on the floor after Denver won the last three games of the series in the first instance of a number 8 seed beating the top seed.

The 1995 Utah Jazz didn't even have the best record that year. They won 60 games which was second to the Spurs' 62, however their PD was +8.0 to the Spurs' +6.0 and their bench was ridiculously deep, featuring nine regulars averaging more than six points per game. However, they fell in a short series to the 47-win Rockets, who then went on to luckbox their way to the title.

The 2002 Sacramento Kings. Best record (62 wins) and PD (+7.6) in the league. Woulda shoulda coulda but fell to the two-time defending champion Lakers in painful fashion.

The 2003 Dallas Mavericks. Tied with the Spurs for the best record, had a huge edge in PD but probably lost that to experience. This is a borderline submission but they were a very good team, and their 62 expected wins was five clear of anyone else.

The 2004 Indiana Pacers. This was Reggie Miller's last best shot at a title. They fell to the Pistons in the ECF in a series in which every final score ended up something like 58-56.

The 2007 Dallas Mavericks. This one is kinda tricky, as the Spurs won nine fewer games but had both a better PD and actually also had three more expected wins. Still, the Mavericks were the darlings of the regular season, had made the finals the year before, and had a veteran team with something to prove. History has shown that champions have to take their lumps - as the Pistons did with the Celtics and Lakers, or the Bulls did with the Pistons - but that they oftentimes eventually get there.

I've considered also doing this poll with the NFL, MLB, and college football and basketball, and one thing I realized is that the NBA clearly has the highest percentage of 'deserving' winners, with the NFL probably closely behind. The long series and disparity in talent leads to a surprisingly low number of WTF? winners.

johnnylovescandy 11-25-2007 03:52 PM

Re: Best NBA team to NOT win a title in the last 25 years

04-05 Pistons

MacGuyV 11-25-2007 03:53 PM

In retrospect I'm not sure how those Portland teams were as good as they were. Was Clyde better than everyone thinks or were Jerome Kersey, Duckworth, et al better than everyone thought?

The Kings got hosed by the refs so I guess they have an argument.

edit: 10k ftw.

doubLe a tom 11-25-2007 03:54 PM

91-92 and 92-93 knicks were really good. probably would have won championships if it wasnt for jordan

tuq 11-25-2007 03:56 PM

I also want to point out that I fear my thread will get nitted to death. That's why I sat on it for a day and PMed Clark for his thoughts prior to even posting it.

The book on the Glide is that he was very good but got in his own way in pressure circumstances. He never led his team to a title; it was only after being traded to Houston and playing a distant second fiddle to Hakeem that he got a ring. Which was a ridiculous title but that's another story.

As for those Portland teams, I also think it had to do with every single one of those players peaking at the same time. And Terry Porter was underrated IMO.

tuq 11-25-2007 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
04-05 Pistons

[/ QUOTE ]
PD of +3.8 and 53 expected wins. They weren't the best team in the league, not close, and those numbers came against a weak Eastern Conference.

ClarkNasty 11-25-2007 03:57 PM

I think the Seattle team the Bulls beat in the finals was awesome, but obviously not the best team in the league that year.

THEOSU 11-25-2007 03:58 PM

88-9 cavs, be severely wounded in a pit of flames if you think otherwise.

tuq 11-25-2007 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the Seattle team the Bulls beat in the finals was awesome, but obviously not the best team in the league that year.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah I considered making it a "best team to not win the title" poll instead, but that just opens up a Pandora's Box of teams that were in the neighborhood of the best team or who had the misfortune of having a great year the same season that someone had an even better one. And the 1996 Sonics are no doubt the best example of that bad timing. 64 wins and a +7.8 PD, both would lead the NBA most seasons. But they did it at the same time as a 72 win Bulls team with a (lol) +12.3 PD.

doubLe a tom 11-25-2007 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://alltalksports.files.wordpress...-over-ehlo.jpg

johnnylovescandy 11-25-2007 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
04-05 Pistons

[/ QUOTE ]
PD of +3.8 and 53 expected wins. They weren't the best team in the league, not close, and those numbers came against a weak Eastern Conference.

[/ QUOTE ]

They dominated Spurs in NBA Finals and would've won in five if R.Wallace didn't act like such a baby. But whatever.

SBR 11-25-2007 04:06 PM

Voted for the 93 suns. And...

[ QUOTE ]

The 1995 Utah Jazz didn't even have the best record that year. They won 60 games which was second to the Spurs' 62, however their PD was +8.0 to the Spurs' +6.0 and their bench was ridiculously deep, featuring nine regulars averaging more than six points per game. However, they fell in a short series to Hakeem Olajuwon, who then went on to destroy every centre in the leauge and put to rest the debate on who the best centre of the last 25 years is on his way to the title.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

TheNoodleMan 11-25-2007 04:07 PM

97-98 Pacers are a glaring omission.
They went 58-24 and lost to the Bulls in 7 games in the ECF. Better team than the '04 Pacers and they would have matched up better with the 98 Jazz than the '04 team would have against the Lakers.

smbruin22 11-25-2007 04:10 PM

wow, great stuff....

when i saw headline, i thought you meant long-term team core that didn't get it done. and i'd say utah (although maybe sacramento??)

one season i have no idea, but your analysis is great.. what team that didn't win had the biggest win margin over the second win team??

NBA refereeing is extremely suspect on so many levels. i'd argue alot of it isn't within the player's ability to claim a championship if the league/ref doesn't shade it that way. not outright fraud but very, very superstar marketing-oriented and the refs have picked up on it for sure

johnnylovescandy 11-25-2007 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
97-98 Pacers are a glaring omission.
They went 58-24 and lost to the Bulls in 7 games in the ECF. Better team than the '04 Pacers and they would have matched up better with the 98 Jazz than the '04 team would have against the Lakers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but you're forgetting their PD, EW, etc. surely indicates they sucked that year, lolol...

tuq 11-25-2007 04:15 PM

SBR, that's correct. And despite his ridiculously chiseled physique I always thought David Robinson was a huge squeezably soft pussy who couldn't close a ham sandwich in the playoffs much less an entire series, and that's why he went ringless until Tim Duncan showed up. Despite the ridiculousness of the two titles the Rockets won (I mean particularly the second one, WTF) I am happy to see Hakeem come away with a ring as he is easily the best pivot this league has seen since Kareem and Moses Malone in their primes.

NoodleMan, doesn't qualify: had fewer wins, expected wins, and a lower PD than the Bulls. I just don't think they were better anyway, and if any team from that year belongs on there it's probably the Jazz.

THEOSU 11-25-2007 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

image removed

[/ QUOTE ]

this is just mean.

tuq 11-25-2007 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what team that didn't win had the biggest win margin over the second win team??

[/ QUOTE ]
Without looking it just has to be last year's Mavericks, who won six more games than the Suns. They were one of only two teams ever to win something like >63 games and not win the title. The other being the 1973 Celtics, who won 68 games but fell to the Knicks in the ECF.

tdarko 11-25-2007 05:17 PM

I think the real question is if tuq voted w/ all of his gimmick accounts?

doubLe a tom 11-25-2007 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

image removed

[/ QUOTE ]

this is just mean.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol couldnt resist, sorry [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

ClarkNasty 11-25-2007 05:26 PM

I think a big flaw with this is that it seems you're using reg season PD as the primary indicator. I think there are plenty of examples (2nd Rockets team, Lakers that lost to Pistons recently, some of the Bulls teams, some of the Spurs teams), that simply didn't care to go all out in the regular season and it can be argued they "cranked it up" for the playoffs.

I certainly think the recent Lakers team that lost to the Pistons should be on here. Malone's late injury was brutal to their chances. They are almost a textbook example as I think that was the year the T-Wolves had the #1 seed but everyone knew the Lakers were really "the" team.

sethypooh21 11-25-2007 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In retrospect I'm not sure how those Portland teams were as good as they were. Was Clyde better than everyone thinks or were Jerome Kersey, Duckworth, et al better than everyone thought?

[/ QUOTE ]

Kersey was really good. As as was Terry Porter. Buck Williams was very solid, and Uncle Cliffie Robinson (back when he was still Nephew Cliffie Robinson) was a great pace changer off the bench - this was a team deep enough that Drazen Petrovic barely got off the pine...

kbfc 11-25-2007 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
04-05 Pistons

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They dominated Spurs in NBA Finals and would've won in five if R.Wallace didn't act like such a baby. But whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, but I have to:
????

tuq 11-25-2007 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think a big flaw with this is that it seems you're using reg season PD as the primary indicator. I think there are plenty of examples (2nd Rockets team, Lakers that lost to Pistons recently, some of the Bulls teams, some of the Spurs teams), that simply didn't care to go all out in the regular season and it can be argued they "cranked it up" for the playoffs.

I certainly think the recent Lakers team that lost to the Pistons should be on here. Malone's late injury was brutal to their chances. They are almost a textbook example as I think that was the year the T-Wolves had the #1 seed but everyone knew the Lakers were really "the" team.

[/ QUOTE ]
Generally your points are very solid, but I think using the 1995 Rockets as an example of anything OTHER than a really, really lucky team is a bad idea. They were right place, right time, by the seat of their pants more than any title winner in NBA history. For example, the 1996 Sonics would absolutely destroy them eight times out of ten (well, I do sort of fear any team with Hakeem on it though) and they were only a year apart so generational stuff doesn't apply.

Having thought about it, your mention of that Lakers team meriting consideration is a very good one. It's like when I was a kid, playing Statis-Pro Basketball, can I use the players who had season cards but who were injured in the playoffs? Tough one. Perhaps the Lakers WERE the best team that season.

I do admit to loving the PD stat though, and should rely on common sense or RPI or other stats more than I do. I guess I just prefer to have things cut and dried.

ClarkNasty 11-25-2007 07:04 PM

I think you have to give credit to a team that won every series on the road. That's hard to do and call it flukey. One, sure. But winning 4 NBA playoff series without home court is brutally difficult to truly luckbox through. Give a little love to the "throw to Hakeem who either scores or passes to someone at the 3-line who passes to another guy at the 3-line for an open look" offense.

ClarkNasty 11-25-2007 07:06 PM

IIRC the Lakers, despite the Malone injury, were like -700 or so vs. that Pistons team btw. Maybe someone else can verify.

doubLe a tom 11-25-2007 07:08 PM

Why no love for the 92-93 knicks? That bulls/knicks series was [censored] awesome.

tuq 11-25-2007 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why no love for the 92-93 knicks? That bulls/knicks series was [censored] awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]
Because the Suns were better than them. Also, I was at the infamous "fight" game that year in Phoenix where Greg Anthony and Doc Rivers acted like little bitches and Pat Riley got his Armani suit torn. Half of the players were tossed at halftime but that was fine cuz the Suns already had it in hand by then. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

That said, the Knicks probably would have/should have/could have beaten the Bulls if Charles Smith remembered that he was like 6'10" and should dunk the ball when standing right next to the hoop, rather than attempt weak layups.

damaniac 11-25-2007 07:18 PM

Speaking of that Pistons-Pacers series on 2004, check out the box score of Game 6. I'm sure I watched it but thankfully don't remember it. This must have been a monstrosity to watch.

ClarkNasty 11-25-2007 07:21 PM

I love all these teams that would/could've beaten the Bulls title teams yet none of them except the Pacers in the final year even pushed them even to 7 games. Hard to win 4 if you can't win 3. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

doubLe a tom 11-25-2007 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Because the Suns were better than them. Also, I was at the infamous "fight" game that year in Phoenix where Greg Anthony and Doc Rivers acted like little bitches and Pat Riley got his Armani suit torn. Half of the players were tossed at halftime but that was fine cuz the Suns already had it in hand by then. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

That said, the Knicks probably would have/should have/could have beaten the Bulls if Charles Smith remembered that he was like 6'10" and should dunk the ball when standing right next to the hoop, rather than attempt weak layups.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the 92-93 Suns vs. Knicks would have been a great series. If you're saying the Knicks should have beat the Bulls, and the Bulls beat the Suns, I think you have to atleast consider the Knicks being as good as, or atleast very close to the Suns.

doubLe a tom 11-25-2007 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love all these teams that would/could've beaten the Bulls title teams yet none of them except the Pacers in the final year even pushed them even to 7 games. Hard to win 4 if you can't win 3. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Knicks took them to 7 games in 91-92 fwiw

bluef0x 11-25-2007 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Woulda shoulda coulda but fell to the two-time defending champion Lakers in painful fashion.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Losing to the refs is a painful way to lose, but I think you are implying something else.

BobJoeJim 11-25-2007 07:34 PM

I'd like to nominate the Blazers for the Franchise (as opposed to single year) version of this award. The record string of playoff appearances, the Lakers in the Western Conference finals (more than once), making the finals but losing (more than once), etcetera.

BobboFitos 11-25-2007 07:41 PM

there was a poll like this done not too long ago in an excellent fashion by assanni iirc. anycase, voted for jazz (obv)

tuq 11-25-2007 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Woulda shoulda coulda but fell to the two-time defending champion Lakers in painful fashion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Losing to the refs is a painful way to lose, but I think you are implying something else.

[/ QUOTE ]
They lost two games in really bad fashion - the Big Shot Bob deflection game, and game 7 in overtime. I don't remember how they lost the others but those two are burned upon my mind.

MacGuyV 11-25-2007 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
They lost two games in really bad fashion - the Big Shot Bob deflection game, and game 7 in overtime. I don't remember how they lost the others but those two are burned upon my mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Horry was Game 4. Game 6 the Lakers shot 894 free throws in the 4th Qtr.

rebuyboy 11-25-2007 08:39 PM

there should be no teams mentioned in the 6 years the bulls won the championship because the bulls unarguably had the best team each of those years.\

my vote goes to the 2000 blazers.

tuq 11-25-2007 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there should be no teams mentioned in the 6 years the bulls won the championship because the bulls unarguably had the best team each of those years.\

my vote goes to the 2000 blazers.

[/ QUOTE ]
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh...? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I just have to assume that both of your points here are a joke and thus aren't worth addressing at this point.

lastchance 11-25-2007 10:50 PM

96-97 Utah Jazz?

64 wins, +8.8, obviously not the best team in the league, but y'know, MJ happens.