Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Effectiveness of spreading a petition to get Pats v. Giants on TV? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=552509)

Jurollo 11-22-2007 09:44 PM

Effectiveness of spreading a petition to get Pats v. Giants on TV?

So it is incredibly lame that the Patriots could be taking there shot at being undefeated on the NFL network which no one has. Does anyone think the game will be made national if they are 15-0 going into it? Would some kind of huge public outcry have any effect on the NFL pulling this stunt? Any idea if it is going to be in the New England market outside of the NFL network?

Golden_Rhino 11-22-2007 09:46 PM

Re: Effectiveness of spread a petition to get Pats v. Giants on TV?

I am pretty sure that the fury of upset fans nourishes NFL execs. You know, like vampires.

ClarkNasty 11-22-2007 09:46 PM

I think the petition is called "call your local cable operator".

I can't imagine the NFL is going to relent on their evil plan to blackball everyone into carrying their network.

MicroBob 11-22-2007 09:47 PM

jurollo - no, that will not happen.
This could be the most important game in the universe but it was originally scheduled for NFLN and that is where it will stay.

Jurollo 11-22-2007 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the petition is called "call your local cable operator".

I can't imagine the NFL is going to relent on their evil plan to blackball everyone into carrying their network.

[/ QUOTE ]
Clark,
I know this but it just pisses me off so much I am having trouble accepting it. Much like when Seinfeld went off the air.

Golden_Rhino 11-22-2007 09:51 PM

Move to Canada. We will get it on basic cable.

Uglyowl 11-22-2007 09:59 PM

Both the cable companies and NFL are to blame here. Both are trying to screw us over and pointing fingers at each other.

FACT: Cable subscribers that live outside their favorite teams’ home markets won’t see their teams play on NFL Network unless they pay extra fees to their cable provider. NFL Network games are broadcast free over-the-air in the team’s local market – but Dallas Cowboys fans in San Antonio and Green Bay Packers fans in Madison, for example, will miss seeing their favorite teams play

http://www.iwantmynflnetwork.com/truth.php

DemonDeac 11-22-2007 10:00 PM

isnt it like $2 extra a month?

Uglyowl 11-22-2007 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
isnt it like $2 extra a month?

[/ QUOTE ]

Comcast bundles it with 8 other crappy stations and charges $8/month. That reminds me to call and complain right now.

There line is everyone shouldn't have to pay for it, but the comeback is that it shouldn't be bundled with other stuff I don't want to pay for.

GO TIME.

Franchise 60 11-22-2007 10:03 PM

The NFL deserves a lot more blame in this situation than the cable companies do.

MicroBob 11-22-2007 10:04 PM

watch the game at a bar or on the internet.
Not ideal of course, but it's better than nothing.

Franchise 60 11-22-2007 10:06 PM

The backlash is really going to start to pick up over the Dallas/GB game, then its just going to keep gaining steam up to the Pats/NY game imo.

bones 11-22-2007 10:11 PM

I can't imagine them taking it off the network. The best way to promote the network is to put games on that are actually worth watching.

Pudge714 11-23-2007 12:25 AM

Is the problem that some cable providers don't carry the NFLN or that some people don't want to pay $8 to get the game or both?

Triumph36 11-23-2007 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is the problem that some cable providers don't carry the NFLN or that some people don't want to pay $8 to get the game or both?

[/ QUOTE ]

both.

but some providers simply do not carry it - the NFL wants it on the basic tier, and is using the games as ransom.

capone0 11-23-2007 12:28 AM

Boys, GB-Dallas is next week. That game will atleast be competitive. It's on NFL network only as well e/c in local markets.

Jurollo 11-23-2007 12:31 AM

The $8 is fine, whatever, big deal. Its the principle of having to buy the NFL's network to see a local game

Golden_Rhino 11-23-2007 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Boys, GB-Dallas is next week. That game will atleast be competitive. It's on NFL network only as well e/c in local markets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a Packers fan and I fear the Pack will get smoked. They have had a pretty easy sched so far. The Cowboys >>>>>>>>>than anyone the Packers have played.

capone0 11-23-2007 12:38 AM

Not a great comparison. Cowboys at worst are a top 5 team. At best might be the 3rd or 2nd best team in the league.

I'll admit I don't like either team but it should be a good game. Pack plays close games.

SBR 11-23-2007 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a Packers fan and I fear the Pack will get smoked. They have had a pretty easy sched so far. The Cowboys >>>>>>>>>than anyone the Packers have played.

[/ QUOTE ]

True but the Packers >>>>>>>>> anyone the Cowboys have beat.

TheNoodleMan 11-23-2007 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The $8 is fine, whatever, big deal. Its the principle of having to buy the NFL's network to see a local game

[/ QUOTE ]

The game will be shown in the local market. Tonight's Colts/Falcons game was shown on the local NBC affiliate in Indianapolis. Local markets always get their game on free broadcast stations.

UATrewqaz 11-23-2007 12:54 AM

Re: Effectiveness of spreading a petition to get Pats v. Giants on TV?

The NFL wants the NFL Network to be carried on lower tier cable packages. Two seasons ago it actually was.

The major cable companies moved it to a higher tier and the NFL is currently fighting them about it.

I used to get the NFL Network before those bastards did this (Comcast).

A local affliate here in Atlanta also showed the Indy/Atl game with the NFL network feed.

Smell The Glove 11-23-2007 12:56 AM

nfl network pwns

HajiShirazu 11-23-2007 01:36 AM

Why would I want to pay $100 a year to watch two good games? Just like bigteleven network nfl network is garbage outside of their live games. And actually it's worse than $100 for two games because the pats game will be over in the second quarter anyway. So it's like 15-20 a quarter.

Billy Bibbit 11-23-2007 02:06 AM

How is it $100 a year? You can order it on a monthly basis, so it's just $16 a year to get the games. And I actually like some of their other programming. NFL Replay is awesome, and their highlights are much better than ESPN's.

Yeah, it would be nice if you could just order the channels you wanted to watch on an individual basis, but $8 a month is nothing, I spend twice that every Sunday at the sports bar. This is like 100th on the list of things I have to pay for that I wish I didn't. I do feel bad for the people whose cable providers don't carry the channel at all, but other than that it seems like people just looking for something to complain about.

Johnny Drama 11-23-2007 02:41 AM

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] DirecTV

MicroBob 11-23-2007 04:32 AM

As I mentioned in the other thread:

I actually get NFL Network on my package. Awesome!! Get to watch the games!!
WRONG!!
Today there was some thing scrolling across the screen that said my cable-company did not carry the games-package to show the Thurs and Sat night prime-time games so unless I was in the local market I would not get to see the game. Contact my cable company. My phone-calls can make a difference.

WHAT?!?!
I actually get the NFL Network and could watch the pre-game show tonight as well as any of their other programming including the replays of the past Sunday's games that they show...but when the live games come on they black it out because of the deal with y specific cable operator?
WTF? They get the channel but still not the games?!?!

Pretty irritating.

Golden_Rhino 11-23-2007 04:34 AM

Glad to know that cable companies are shifty in every country.

Killua 11-23-2007 04:38 AM

I thought the networks had the monopoly of nfl games, isn't it a bit ridiculous that they pay infinite money to the nfl but don't get to chose what games they can show? Someone enlighten me.

Uglyowl 11-23-2007 09:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Glad to know that cable companies are shifty in every country.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have read many articles on this and the NFL is just as much to blame as (if not more than) the cable companies (and I will take any chance I can to rip the cable companies).

Troll_Inc 11-23-2007 09:28 AM

Last week there was a very good (and honest) interview with a big Comcast exec in the Philadelphia area. I think he was some bigwig in a Rendell admin, so the dude was pretty slick...but surprisingly honest.

He made some good points which included:

1. If the NFL had allowed cable to bid on the big NFL package, then things might be different.

2. Comcast includes this on some NFL package that they already offer and most people that would want to see the NFL network already have that package.

3. LAst year there were some similar situations and they really didn't get that many complaints.

4. If you wanted to, you could call up and order the NFL network extra plan for a month or two and then drop it.

5. The NFL charges a crapload for the NFL network and compared to the total Comcast viewer's wants, it doesn't make sense for them to pass on this to all viewers. (Same holds true for BigTen network.) He compared this to something like the Lifetime network that is one of its highest rated networks that charges a lot less, so they include it.

Disclaimer: I hate Comcast and would already have DirectTV except that my apartment doesn't have any part that faces southwest.

NoChance 11-23-2007 10:11 AM

I'll get the game here but honestly have no interest in watching.

PokerFink 11-23-2007 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pack plays close games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone hasn't been paying attention lately.

PokerFink 11-23-2007 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just like bigteleven network nfl network is garbage outside of their live games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't speak for the bigteleven network, but NFL Network is awesome, and the majority of posers on this board that have it share that opinion.

Kneel B4 Zod 11-23-2007 11:48 AM

I've been a sucker paying high Comcast fees for years now. I just called and told them I was switching to DirectTV and they lowered my monthly bill for the next 12 months by $35/month. I then added the NFL Network (and associated channels) for the $7/ month or whatever.

Matt Williams 11-23-2007 11:53 AM

Will this game be shown on Fox/ESPN/CBS in the local markets, or do you still need the NFLN?

NoChance 11-23-2007 11:56 AM

I am guessing it will not be available on Fox/ESPN/CBS. My family lives in Wisconsin and they are already complaining about not being able to see the Dallas vs Green Bay game.

mblax10 11-23-2007 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just like bigteleven network nfl network is garbage outside of their live games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't speak for the bigteleven network, but NFL Network is awesome, and the majority of posers on this board that have it share that opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, NFL Replay, NFL Total Access & America's Game are great shows. During the off-season their's still NFL Replay every Sunday and great coverage of the Senior Bowl practice and the combine.

NFL is thrilled with any uproar from games being on the NFL Network. They want you to complain to your cable company and eventually have the network in more households.

IIRC, in 1994 ESPN2 was just starting and had Duke vs. UNC #1 vs. #2. People pissed that they couldn't watch that or similar games helped the rapid growth of ESPN2.

MC Chris 11-23-2007 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been a sucker paying high Comcast fees for years now. I just called and told them I was switching to DirectTV and they lowered my monthly bill for the next 12 months by $35/month. I then added the NFL Network (and associated channels) for the $7/ month or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

heh, nice bluff. i recently switched to verizon and they didn't try to give me a discount or anything. lucky for me i wasn't bluffing. now i pay about $30 less per month and get more channels, faster internet, and a land line that i didn't have before. wow i sound like a shill for verizon.

anyway nfl comes with the regular package on verizon, and also rcn which my parents have.

splashpot 11-23-2007 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am guessing it will not be available on Fox/ESPN/CBS. My family lives in Wisconsin and they are already complaining about not being able to see the Dallas vs Green Bay game.

[/ QUOTE ]
Really? From ESPN:
[ QUOTE ]
Fans in each local market will be able to see the game. NFL rules require that games televised on cable must be made available to an over-the-air provider in the home market cities.

[/ QUOTE ]
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3123865