Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   England out, what now for the FA? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=551671)

quickfetus 11-21-2007 06:31 PM

England out, what now for the FA?

England out, owned. McLaren was never the best choice for the job, but it's not his problem the players simply can't keep their [censored] together on the pitch.

FWIW, my "would-be" advice to the FA: Do whatever it takes, break the bank if necessary, to get a highly respected manager with massive gravitas and knowledge of the English game. Ideally this would be somebody with a cerebral approach to football management, but this is not an absolute necessity. Ideally it would also be someone who could get his charges playing good (read: intelligent, continental-style) football. For the love of god, this route 1 nonsense is strangling the development of English players.

Best Candidates: 1) Arsene Wenger (probably impossible but who knows)
2) Sir Alex Ferguson (obv. impossible)
3) Martin Jol: Best realistic candidate, massively unjustly sacked at Tottenham. Record of getting the most out of the players at his disposal, expert at working with young players, which will be key now that England will be building for the future. Also fits the bill in terms of a cerebral management approach.

Wildcard: Stuart Pierce Hey, if he can do it with the u21s. . . obviously this would fly in the face of what I said re: proven Premiership success and a cerebral approach to football management.

Most important: DO NOT appoint a Howard Wilkinson (or whatever his name is) or Peter Taylor style long-ball worshipping doofus from inside the FA.

ALSO: Similarly, no British school managers like Curbishley or Big Sam need apply.

ajmargarine 11-21-2007 06:43 PM

Re: England out, what now for the FA?

BBC:

[ QUOTE ]
"I'm not stepping down," McClaren told BBC Sport after England, who needed just a point to qualify from Group E, lost 3-2 to Croatia at Wembley

[/ QUOTE ]

Wilpro 11-21-2007 06:47 PM

England got no competitive games till after 2008 now yeah?

friskyfleabag 11-21-2007 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BBC:

[ QUOTE ]
"I'm not stepping down," McClaren told BBC Sport after England, who needed just a point to qualify from Group E, lost 3-2 to Croatia at Wembley

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So he chooses not to retain (some of) his dignity and jump before he's pushed. He'll be gone by tomorrow morning I would imagine. I guess the xenophobic majority of our public got what they deserved as it was so vital that "we get an English manager". Ho hum. Mourinho FTW!

Jay Riall 11-21-2007 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BBC:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

looooooooooooooooooooooooooooool Jesus have some dignity man!

sixfour 11-21-2007 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BBC:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Read: he wants to be sacked so he gets paid off

friskyfleabag 11-21-2007 07:00 PM

BBC:

[ QUOTE ]
The Football Association are to hold a board meeting on Thursday at 0830 GMT to discuss Steve McClaren's future.

[/ QUOTE ]

cya

Pontuan21 11-21-2007 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
BBC:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Read: he wants to be sacked so he gets paid off

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct, 5 million reasons he will not quit.

DemonDeac 11-21-2007 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
England got no competitive games till after 2008 now yeah?

[/ QUOTE ]

World Cup 2010 qualifiers??

Wilpro 11-21-2007 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BBC:

[ QUOTE ]
The Football Association are to hold a board meeting on Thursday at 0830 GMT to discuss Steve McClaren's future.

[/ QUOTE ]

cya

[/ QUOTE ]

lol 0830. Remind me never to become England manager, i can not physically get out of bed before 12, unless i stay up all night.

Disturbance 11-21-2007 07:17 PM

Mourinho please, however I doubt the FA can afford him after lavishing so much money on Sven. Maclaren was the cheap option but even he will have to be paid off.

Blue Celery 11-21-2007 07:18 PM

What's next for the FA? Probably hiring Venables.

IrishHand 11-21-2007 07:32 PM

Mourinho far and away the best choice. Not close imo.

KJS 11-21-2007 07:47 PM

Why would any world class manager want to coach England?

KJS

quickfetus 11-21-2007 07:52 PM

Umm, because it's one of the most prestigious (albeit overanalyzed and tormented) positions in football?

bigmonkey 11-21-2007 07:55 PM

It has to be Mourinho. It is the most high-profile managing position in the world, and Mourinho will relish it. He's already either loved or hated by every football fan in England, but respected by all. What's important is that he has desire. You wouldn't see him standing glibly under an umbrella as his team are two goals behind qualifying.

samwallistea 11-21-2007 07:58 PM

Why would anyone want to be England manager now? So they can begin preparation for the 2010 world cup qualifers? Basically the next year of England playing football will be friendlies against teams that will actually be playing in Euro 2008. Great job for manager... For the 2010 world cup qualifying campaign we must learn our lesson from this failed attempt: we have to get points vs. the crappy making-up-the-numbers teams and win the crucial games.

reo 11-21-2007 07:59 PM

I want to see Ashley Young and Agbonlahor out there. Give Johnson a shot too. Time to see some young faces on that squad.

guilt_trip 11-21-2007 08:25 PM

Massive overhaul now. McClaren can say he's not stepping down but he'll be forced out now. Even if we qualified he probably should have gone, we needed Israel to gift us a huge advantage and we couldnt take it

IMO McClaren and some FA heads have to roll. This thing has been mismanaged for too long and attitudes have to be changed

McClaren wasnt a good choice for the spot and his ineptitude at high level football has cost us dearly. He messed up big and nearly got away with it with a spot in the Euros but he'll be known as a guy who couldnt get a team of top top level pros past what was an easy group comparatively

Enervate 11-21-2007 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mourinho has said he would only managed Portugal.

Guus Hiddink is the man for the job.

Suiteness 11-21-2007 08:32 PM

I don't think Mourinho would be satisfied by coaching a national team just yet. I think his next move will be towards a big club like Milan.

guilt_trip 11-21-2007 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think Mourinho would be satisfied by coaching a national team just yet. I think his next move will be towards a big club like Milan.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. Mourinho doesnt want the job and there are alot bigger and better jobs for him at club level

eurythmech 11-21-2007 08:51 PM

I was thinking Mourinho myself, but it makes sense that he'd rather stay at the club level.

Are there any exciting, young (45 or younger) English managers out there?

A good non-English pick, though would be Hiddink.
He's taken over 2nd rate countries and worked wonders in the past

quickfetus 11-21-2007 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

David Moyes?

quickfetus 11-21-2007 09:08 PM

I also suspect Marcello Lippi's name may come into the mix.

guilt_trip 11-21-2007 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

David Moyes?

[/ QUOTE ]

The day a Scot is the England manager is the day I eat my own face

Problem is there arent that many really good candidates at the moment. Big Sam? Curbishley? Blah. The only good ones are unavailable until after Euro 2008(Hiddink, Scolari) or beautiful pipe dreams (Wenger, Mourinho)

I think we should put Venables as cartaker manager until post Euro 2008 snd use the time to recruit a new manager to take over in August/September for the 2010 World Cup campaign.

Some have suggested trying Shearer (hey worked for Holland with Rykaard (how the hell do you spell that?)). But then again that job is waaaay beyond his current capabilities imo

quickfetus 11-21-2007 09:49 PM

Haha, good point re: Moyes. . . I hadn't thought of that for some reason. There are definitely no viable English candidates, as many people have already stated. Appointing Curbishley or Big Sam would be a massive step backwards in terms of entrenching an unintelligent football culture even further.

Your idea re: El Tel as caretaker until some heavy hitters free up is probably a good one. I'm still curious, what do you guys think about Martin Jol?

quickfetus 11-21-2007 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Massive overhaul now. McClaren can say he's not stepping down but he'll be forced out now. Even if we qualified he probably should have gone, we needed Israel to gift us a huge advantage and we couldnt take it

IMO McClaren and some FA heads have to roll. This thing has been mismanaged for too long and attitudes have to be changed

McClaren wasnt a good choice for the spot and his ineptitude at high level football has cost us dearly. He messed up big and nearly got away with it with a spot in the Euros but he'll be known as a guy who couldnt get a team of top top level pros past what was an easy group comparatively

[/ QUOTE ]

Top level pros?? Whereas the Croats and Russians are amateurs plying their trade in intramural leagues?

guilt_trip 11-21-2007 10:04 PM

lol I meant obv superior in terms of individual talent ie. Rooney, Gerrard, Terry, Ferdinand etc etc. None of the Russia or Croatia players are World Class but are very good (obv) and England had a massive advantage in terms of pure talent available

Its weird with Jol because some managers are much better as Club managers than National one (Eriksson being the obvious example). I think Jol would only work as either the Holland manager or a club team.

I think if England wait until after Euro they can have either Hiddink or Scolari and either oneof those would probably be the best choice for advancing England further in terms of international success

eurythmech 11-21-2007 10:24 PM

England have now been schooled by Croatia, twice.
They finished six points behind.
And yet their ignorami fans don't see how great that team is?
How great the players are?

No, England is not "massively" better.
That is why you never do well, ever.

quickfetus 11-21-2007 10:31 PM

Since we've moved into discussing the nature of the England squad itself, I'm going to copy/paste a post of mine in the England BBV4Life thread.

I'll try to address some of the players (a different poster) mentioned.

With all due respect to Beckham (a fantastic player and leader), his international career is clearly finished. SWP is not a worldclass player by any means, so you're back to the drawing board in terms of finding a right-sided player.

Crouch, despite finding the target with remarkable proficiency for England (all you can ask, really) wouldn't make it onto a world class national team.

Carrick is a fine player, but nowhere near the league of Mascherano, Xavi, or Pirlo, players who man his position for true top class national teams. (FWIW, each of their teams has at least one other defensive midfielder who would walk into the England XI). The same is true of Gareth Barry, who would obviously not find his way into the Argentinian/Italian/Spanish national teams.

Rooney: Part of why he plays so well for United is the foreign legion at his disposal. Receiving service from Ronaldo, Giggs and company must be a nice thing. His struggles scoring for the national team even when fit are well documented, no need to rehash them here.

Also, you can't simply brush off the lack of a world-class keeper or any depth up front. These are things that top class teams generally have, that you do not.

Finally, your contention that the Premiership is the best league in the world is also debatable. Certainly in terms of heaviness at the top, I can agree. But all around? Compare the teams you send to the UEFA Cup with those from La Liga. Blackburn? Middlesborough? We all remember what happened in the final two years ago. The Spanish middleweights are worlds apart. Unfashionable Villareal almost found themselves in the Champions League Final, for crying out loud!

guilt_trip 11-21-2007 10:35 PM

Show me the part where I say England are massively better

I said that England INDIVIDUALLY are much more talented but as a team they sucked and were mismanaged. England has some World class players at our disposal and yet we failed to go through a group that compared to others was weak

I'll give Croatia their due. They were much better and played us off the pitch and were the better team no doubt

Enervate 11-21-2007 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since we've moved into discussing the nature of the England squad itself, I'm going to copy/paste a post of mine in the England BBV4Life thread.

I'll try to address some of the players (a different poster) mentioned.

With all due respect to Beckham (a fantastic player and leader), his international career is clearly finished. SWP is not a worldclass player by any means, so you're back to the drawing board in terms of finding a right-sided player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lennon, Bentley?

[ QUOTE ]
Crouch, despite finding the target with remarkable proficiency for England (all you can ask, really) wouldn't make it onto a world class national team.

[/ QUOTE ]

When Rooney and Owen are fit???? He wont be near the team.

[ QUOTE ]
Carrick is a fine player, but nowhere near the league of Mascherano, Xavi, or Pirlo, players who man his position for true top class national teams. (FWIW, each of their teams has at least one other defensive midfielder who would walk into the England XI). The same is true of Gareth Barry, who would obviously not find his way into the Argentinian/Italian/Spanish national teams.

[/ QUOTE ]

If Carrick or Hargreaves had started, we wouldn't had lost -DUCY?

[ QUOTE ]
Rooney: Part of why he plays so well for United is the foreign legion at his disposal. Receiving service from Ronaldo, Giggs and company must be a nice thing. His struggles scoring for the national team even when fit are well documented, no need to rehash them here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, you can't simply brush off the lack of a world-class keeper or any depth up front. These are things that top class teams generally have, that you do not.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, what to do?

[ QUOTE ]
Finally, your contention that the Premiership is the best league in the world is also debatable. Certainly in terms of heaviness at the top, I can agree. But all around? Compare the teams you send to the UEFA Cup with those from La Liga. Blackburn? Middlesborough? We all remember what happened in the final two years ago. The Spanish middleweights are worlds apart. Unfashionable Villareal almost found themselves in the Champions League Final, for crying out loud!

[/ QUOTE ]

You are obviously have selective memory. How many EPL teams were in the ECL semi finals last year? I agree that the EPL may not be the strongest league (i.e La Liga) but it is definitely stronger than any other league.

[/ QUOTE ]

quickfetus 11-21-2007 11:19 PM

Lennon and Bentley: Absolutely nowhere near the level of right wingers in world class national teams.

Re Defoe: Fair point, but other teams have far deeper strikeforces nonetheless.

Re Carrick or Hargreaves: Ok, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but the fact remains that they would hardly find their way into an Argentina, Italy, or Spain XI.

Re the ECL: Don't get me wrong, I agree. In terms of talent at the top, the EPL is the strongest league. I'm not trying to slight it. Just pointing out that in terms of all around depth, La Liga easily bests it. The Villareal example was merely designed to help show that.

eurythmech 11-21-2007 11:40 PM

Yes, you said that England individually are much more talented. Which is an ultra retarded thing to say.

TCEgor 11-22-2007 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mourinho has said he would only managed Portugal.

Guus Hiddink is the man for the job.

[/ QUOTE ]
Guus had publicly stated several times that he will work with Russia until 2010

ThaSaltCracka 11-22-2007 04:14 AM

No way Wenger or Fergie ever go coach a national team.

Why not Capello?

Also, English players are overrated. Perhaps your team isn't as good as you think it is.

Wondercall 11-22-2007 04:53 AM

I'm not sure I understand quicks post... are you implying that Rooney isn't the best England as to offer and he wouldn't be part of most other national teams?

clowntable 11-22-2007 05:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lol I meant obv superior in terms of individual talent ie. Rooney, Gerrard, Terry, Ferdinand etc etc. None of the Russia or Croatia players are World Class but are very good (obv) and England had a massive advantage in terms of pure talent available

Its weird with Jol because some managers are much better as Club managers than National one (Eriksson being the obvious example). I think Jol would only work as either the Holland manager or a club team.

I think if England wait until after Euro they can have either Hiddink or Scolari and either oneof those would probably be the best choice for advancing England further in terms of international success

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd say the Russians and Croatians are less overrated. But that's just me.
Srsly, If you are English and can somewhat play you're bound to make a bundle simply because the PL is full of international players but wants to pretend to still be English at the core.
Then they are surprised if they "underperform"

Still sad to not see England at the Euros because it's always fun to have them around and English fans are fun (- the morons but they exist for every nation). On the other hand I'm quite happy to see Russia will be playing at the Euros. They had good teams over the last years but always lacked discipline imo and I think if they play to their full potential they'll be exciting to watch.

LuckyLloyd 11-22-2007 05:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The day a Scot is the England manager is the day I eat my own face

[/ QUOTE ]

IF YOU WANT TO WIN A MAJOR CHAMPIONSHIP THE FIRST ATTITUDE YOU NEED TO ELIMINATE IS THE ABOVE. THE NATIONALITY OF A MANAGER IS 100% IRRELEVANT. JUST GET THE BEST MAN FOR THE [censored] JOB. NOT THE BEST ENGLISHMAN. HE CAN BE SCOTTISH, WELSH, IRISH, FRENCH OR WHATEVER NATIONALITY WOULD ANNOY YOU. IT DOESN'T MATTER A [censored] IF HE WINS.

[img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]