Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   3bet Pot OOP w/ AKs (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=551666)

jk3a 11-21-2007 06:20 PM

3bet Pot OOP w/ AKs

Villain is solid TAG, likely 2p2. Not a ton of history. He runs like 19/17/3. Obv. the only real hands that beat me on this river are QQ/AQ. Snap-call? Fold? Rest of hand?

Poker Stars, $1/$2 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

BB: $257
UTG: $353.30
Hero (MP): $244.75
CO: $222.60
BTN: $205.20
SB: $66.55

Pre-Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (MP)
UTG folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $8</font>, CO folds, <font color="red">BTN raises to $24</font>, 2 folds, Hero calls $16

Flop: ($51) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, BTN checks

Turn: ($51) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $36</font>, BTN calls $36

River: ($123) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $78</font>,

Fletcher19 11-21-2007 06:26 PM

Re: 3bet Pot OOP w/ AKs

dislike pf . 4bet nearly always

as played, meh, tough to put him on a solid range so i probably look him up just for that.

shpanko 11-21-2007 06:28 PM

would he really flat call the turn with AQ/QQ? Both the A and Q are clubs so he can't have a FD if that's the case, and thus he'd need to raise to protect his hand, and to get more money in. I think I call and expect to see AK, possibly with the Kc.

Also I agree with Fletch that you should just 4-bet pre and get it in there.

Novles 11-21-2007 06:32 PM

snap. pf is puke

LooseAggressive 11-21-2007 06:42 PM

I call. Your hand is underrepresented and with villains stats I don't expect him to show up with a flush very often.

Margaud 11-21-2007 07:03 PM

4bet with a drawing hand? Seriously?

martijn 11-21-2007 07:39 PM

meh meh I dont really like calling for a chop at best.

Floyd13 11-21-2007 07:48 PM

call river, please shove PF

Paul Thomson 11-21-2007 08:01 PM

His line is really weird...

I don't hate preflop if you play creatively post-flop.

Fonkey123 11-21-2007 08:08 PM

Anyone saying auto 4 bet preflop every time without exception always always is tilting me. Are you guys never check/raising ace and king high flops as bluffs? If you always 4bet AK check/raising either of those flops you'll be repping such a narrow range it's meh.

As played I'd snap call. He has TcTx I'd imagine. I don't know what else he could have unless he's tarp happy. I really have no idea what had he's going to show up with except a pair+club draw or 2 pair peeling for a safe card to make another bet in position. If he's a weak 2p2er I might fold.

Fletcher19 11-21-2007 08:10 PM

i said nearly always [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Gesangsverein 11-21-2007 08:18 PM

After he checked behind the flop, I don`t like leading turn here. The Qc is a dangerous card =&gt; I am likely to check/call here and play a pot as small as possible.

Fat Nicky 11-21-2007 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone saying auto 4 bet preflop every time without exception always always is tilting me.

[/ QUOTE ]

not saying flat calling 3-bets w/AK is wrong, but if you have a decent 4-bet strategy, there is nothing wrong w/ALWAYS 4-betting AK.

shpanko 11-21-2007 08:27 PM

I don't really ever c/r A/K high flops in 3-bet pots, so no I don't think it's bad that I always 4-bet AKs in this spot vs this villain. And once again, call the river.

yad 11-21-2007 08:30 PM

of course this is a snapcall.

curious why you don't just lead the river though.

shpanko 11-21-2007 08:32 PM

Yeah betting is ok to try and get slim value from KK/AT/KQ(?) but I think KcXx and TT etc might bluff at this a decent amount so checking is ok. But yeah I think betting is prob better.

jk3a 11-21-2007 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what range do you think he calls with?

yad 11-21-2007 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what range do you think he calls with?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it's too thin...was thinking basically what shpanko outlined though (KK, KQ, AT, as well as stuff that beats you ). I think he bets flop or raises turn with most of what you're behind to though (not always obviously, but enough). Still, maybe it's too thin.

jk3a 11-22-2007 12:44 AM

I called river and don't think it's even close. Not sure why I can't stop posting losing hands. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Fonkey123 11-22-2007 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I called river and don't think it's even close. Not sure why I can't stop posting losing hands. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tc/Tx or KcJx one time?

orange 11-22-2007 01:16 PM

call the river, i don't really hate PF all that much (though i agree that i typically 4b more often).

tubasteve 11-22-2007 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
call the river, i don't really hate PF all that much (though i agree that i typically 4b more often).

[/ QUOTE ]

same thoughts here. preflop is ok as long as you arent just folding every time you miss

Kala1928 11-22-2007 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you have a decent 4-bet strategy, there is nothing wrong w/ALWAYS 4-betting AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes there is

sh58 11-22-2007 01:59 PM

i think i 4bet PF although the call isn't that bad if you are c/r shoving alot postflop.

as played call the river

DanJ. 11-22-2007 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if you have a decent 4-bet strategy, there is nothing wrong w/ALWAYS 4-betting AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes there is

[/ QUOTE ]

ehh...explain please.

cbboy 11-22-2007 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes there is

[/ QUOTE ]

ehh...explain please.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah seriously. I think I 4b AK every time I am 3b. There is nothing with 4-betting it every time IF you have a balanced 4-betting strategy.

Edit- I think its definately best to 4-be when OOP.

dmoney 11-22-2007 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone saying auto 4 bet preflop every time without exception always always is tilting me. Are you guys never check/raising ace and king high flops as bluffs? If you always 4bet AK check/raising either of those flops you'll be repping such a narrow range it's meh.

[/ QUOTE ]

I literally can't even remember the last time I c/r an Ace high flop in a 3 bet pot. I just don't do it. It's not even part of my game. I (95% of the time I do it all the time) bet any flop in a 3 bet pot. Especially Ace high flops, with or without an ace. In my eyes I get more value from hands that way, I often win the pot on the flop, as well as when I hit my ace with big hands it will cost him alot if he a) doens't have an ace or b) played a weaker ace. just to find out if I have an ace or not.

IMO you lose alot less when in a 3 bet pot by cbetting on Ace high flop vs c/r bluffing. You can often win the pot with a cbet and you can fold to a raise. I would much rather have to make villain commit alot of chips on a bluff or to find out if I do have an ace or not, vs me being the one doing so.

Ringmaster 11-22-2007 02:31 PM

I can see calling preflop in position, but OOP this is a 4-bet every time IMO.

As for the river, we don't beat much but I just can't see folding since we basically have to put him on a slowplayed monster to do so. I call and expect to see a split/bluff quite often.

Ringmaster 11-22-2007 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes there is

[/ QUOTE ]

ehh...explain please.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kala1928 11-22-2007 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes there is

[/ QUOTE ]

ehh...explain please.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah seriously. I think I 4b AK every time I am 3b. There is nothing with 4-betting it every time IF you have a balanced 4-betting strategy.

Edit- I think its definately best to 4-be when OOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Always 4betting AK is like handing cash to people out there who dont 3bet hands like JJ and AK. They are hard to spot and there arent really many of them but "ALWAYS 4betting AK" has something inheritly wrong with it because pf aggression is often opponent-dependant so I decided to mention it.

add: even if you have a very well thought out and balanced 3betting/4betting strategy you just simply have to dump the strat-table sometimes and against some players.

HoldEmNewby 11-22-2007 02:43 PM

Preflop - I prefer a 4bet because given villains image he doesn't seem like his range is much beyond AA-JJ,AK-AQ (if his 3bet range is wider I can see an argument for calling and getting fancy on the flop)

Postflop looks good assuming you call.

I sometimes lead the flop if i have a crazy image, because it looks fishy and hands like KK,QQ,TT will surprisingly stick around for 2 bets.

primate 11-22-2007 02:54 PM

Preflop - How often has villain 3bet preflop? Break this down further into with what frequency and more importantly in what position (blinds or button) does villain 3 bet preflop. Then we can decide whether to push preflop or not.

Post flop - As played its a snap call on the river. You've checked obv hoping to c/rai on the flop. When villain doesn't oblige you've led the turn which is fine. Now call the river, your ahead often enough methinks.

If villain has you crushed on the flop w/ AA, JJ he has played this hand poorly. Only hand I'm worried about is AQ.

nb. I don't think a donkbet on the flop is out of the question here.

Rob121 11-22-2007 03:16 PM

um bet the flop

NoahSD 11-22-2007 03:19 PM

Fold river.

TT and KK need to be hugely discounted because most people won't bet them on them on the river. QQ/AQ make perfect sense. You also see AJ/JJ here occasionally.

Imrahil 11-22-2007 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold river.

TT and KK need to be hugely discounted because most people won't bet them on them on the river. QQ/AQ make perfect sense. You also see AJ/JJ here occasionally.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. I don't understand why everyone is so up for calling the river. He doesn't have like TT or Ax here imo.

Requin 11-22-2007 03:55 PM

Yeah fold riv unless you think this is Ax alot, which it probably isn't

primate 11-22-2007 04:04 PM

What are his "Bet river %" stats? &gt;20 consider a call. &lt;20 fold.

Fulzgold 11-22-2007 04:33 PM

another vote for looking him up.