Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Full Ring (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   anybody else frantically chasing supernova? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=551171)

keepitreal 11-21-2007 03:01 AM

anybody else frantically chasing supernova?

i spent the early part of the year not playing cash aka not banking VPPs. now im close enough to supernova that i gotta go for it but am gonna hate my life in decemeber doing it. im at 74k and play 50NL and lots of tables (was 12 and now its 20+). on a "long" day, i make 1k VPP.

basically family time for thanksgiving and xmas really limits me and i know im killing my BB/hour but think its damn worth it to be supernova in 2008 for the FPPs and to be able to buy the $1500 bonus for 100k FPPs.

my reason for the post is this:
im just not starting to wonder if it really is worth it. i time out more than i'd like and cant always think. i'm playing 60BBs instead of the normal 100BB to make decisions easier but im still not always able to make the optimal decision. plus i end up with over full BI stacks after a double and then have to worry about more money with each decision...

plus, socially, i'll be giving up a fun weekend or two in the coming month and my eyes will hurt a lot.

thoughts/comments/concerns/hate filled rants all welcome.

ASPoker8 11-21-2007 03:01 AM

Re: anybody else frantically chasing supernova?

meeeee

I'm at 83kvpp

Averaging like 15k/month since i started trying

pattay 11-21-2007 03:11 AM

poker is never worth messing up a social life for, unless its life-changing money (sounds like its not?) please hang out with friends on weekends and spend family time during holidays. nevertheless gogogogogogogog

rdrr 11-21-2007 03:12 AM

Just got there today

keepitreal 11-21-2007 03:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
poker is never worth messing up a social life for, unless its life-changing money (sounds like its not?) please hang out with friends on weekends and spend family time during holidays. nevertheless gogogogogogogog

[/ QUOTE ]

good advice. and im not giving up family time. im actually planning on 10 poker-less days before the new year. maybe i'll sneak in a few hours late at night but it wont be easy.

i think im setting myself up for a 24 hour session. i've always wanted to try that.

TheProdigy 11-21-2007 03:18 AM

I make supernova like twice a month [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I am loser.

too eazy 11-21-2007 03:19 AM

just do it you chump

do you want it or do you want ot make excuses

people like you make me sick you wishy washy weak chump

GiantBuddha 11-21-2007 03:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
im actually planning on 10 poker-less days before the new year.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are those?

[ QUOTE ]
i think im setting myself up for a 24 hour session. i've always wanted to try that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Always fun. But you'll only get like 3000 VPP @ NL50.

pterodactyl_ 11-21-2007 03:44 AM

I need 75k more VPPs to make it. Is this at all feasible 16-tabling NL200?

Sorry to kind of hijack OP

ASPoker8 11-21-2007 03:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if you're a robot

The Eureka Kid 11-21-2007 03:46 AM

I spent the first 8 months of the year not playing at Stars, so since September I've been grinding away. Only since I moved up to 200NL at the start of this month have I been in a position to chase it. Hoping to have 30k to go by the end of the month and that should be a cruise. If all goes to plan it'll be over well and truly before Christmas and I can kick back and relax!

illini43 11-21-2007 03:46 AM

I'm planning on making a run next year, so we will see how that goes. My goal this month or next is to try and get Platinum.

GiantBuddha 11-21-2007 03:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You only have to play like 134 hours I think. That's less than 30/week for the rest of the year.

pattay 11-21-2007 03:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

150k hands. yes.

pterodactyl_ 11-21-2007 04:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

150k hands. yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright. Its on yo

felixleong 11-21-2007 04:33 AM

been mostly only gold star vip this year since i just started in january
but i will go for super nova next year 4 tabling 100nl

illini43 11-21-2007 05:26 AM

I'd estimate about 1,000 hours/year to get SN felix.

diebitter 11-21-2007 06:06 AM

um, you could shortstack 24 tables of nl200? Probably get you 5K vpps a day or more than way.

plus everyone will love you for delaying every table.

RiverMustelid 11-21-2007 06:21 AM

7k more points for me - think I'm going to make it.

Although Im going travelling next year, so it'll probably be no use at all (:

diebitter 11-21-2007 06:22 AM

I passed it a while back, but haven't got the $1500 bonus, because I've been cashing out for amazon vouchers + the assorted shiny toys they give out.

pocktdeuces 11-21-2007 10:13 AM

i just started on stars a couple months ago, and have 58k vpp to go for supernova...

any idea on the best way to get there playing 100nl? how many hands is that? should i try short stacking 24 tables?

kindling 11-21-2007 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i just started on stars a couple months ago, and have 58k vpp to go for supernova...

any idea on the best way to get there playing 100nl? how many hands is that? should i try short stacking 24 tables?

[/ QUOTE ]

Conservatively, plan for about .4 VPP/hand at 100NL FR, so that's about 145,000 hands. Estimate 60 hands/table/hr and 24 tables, you could do it in about 100 hrs. So it's achievable, but not easy, depending on how many hours and tables you typically play.

pattay 11-21-2007 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Conservatively, plan for about .4 VPP/hand at 100NL FR, so that's about 145,000 hands. Estimate 60 hands/table/hr and 24 tables, you could do it in about 100 hrs. So it's achievable, but not easy, depending on how many hours and tables you typically play.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think its closer to .35vpp/hand

Johnes Benjamin 11-21-2007 10:35 AM

I'm at 78k, definitely plan on making it. I don't think shortstacking or playing more tables than you are comfortable with are necessary.

pocktdeuces 11-21-2007 11:12 AM

ya, this is about what i calculated too. but 150k hands in 40 days is prolly more than i can handle. is there a better way to get vpp??

seems like the 33% rakeback from supernova would just be sooo worth it. im fine with playing breakeven poker for a while if i really have to. because i think it will pay off me in the long run. any other thoughts?

AlexB182 11-21-2007 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

seems like the 33% rakeback from supernova would just be sooo worth it. im fine with playing breakeven poker for a while if i really have to. because i think it will pay off me in the long run. any other thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, what? I am so not into this supernova stuff as not playing much on stars, could someone like give me a two lines summary why I should transfer half of my BR to stars next year and try to make it. Greatly appreciated!

pattay 11-21-2007 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ya, this is about what i calculated too. but 150k hands in 40 days is prolly more than i can handle. is there a better way to get vpp??

[/ QUOTE ]

are you good at STT's? if you could mass multitable like the 60's thats probably a good way to rack up VPP's, but if not just play lots of full ring tables, its really the best way to rack them up with a pretty low bankroll.

Chargers In 07 11-21-2007 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wait, what? I am so not into this supernova stuff as not playing much on stars, could someone like give me a two lines summary why I should transfer half of my BR to stars next year and try to make it. Greatly appreciated!

[/ QUOTE ]Stars doesn't go down as often as Tilt. Stars is much easier on the eyes. Stars doesn't lag after putting up 8 tables. Stars doesn't lock your account for no reason. Stars actually has good CS. I don't understand why people bother with FT. The CS alone is worth it.

kindling 11-21-2007 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think its closer to .35vpp/hand

[/ QUOTE ]

YMMV. It depends a lot on the table and time of day. I play full-stack nights and weekends. So I think I get more VPP/hand on avg (I usually use .42 vpp/hand for estimates actually). If you SS during the day, you probably have a much smaller avg. It really matters when you're talking about things like Supernova, where the difference between .4 and .35 is 20k hands for OP's 58k VPPs!

Chargers In 07 11-21-2007 12:46 PM

Is this outdated or something? Was made in mid August...

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6466/101058qx4.gif

Dennisa 11-21-2007 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

About 4400 hands a day for 30 days will get you there. Thats 5-6 hours 12-16 tabling. It should be attainable.

Dennisa 11-21-2007 01:02 PM

With the better bonus, higher earn rate next year and the free rolls, its probably worth about $2,000 to make SN by the end of the year. Its not worth it if you can keep 10k VPP's per month every month next year.

I have 88K right now, and I have finally finished the middle of the month reporting nightmare that I call my job. I am hoping to make it by around the 10th next month.

holdem2000 11-21-2007 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

AlexB182 11-21-2007 01:24 PM

@chargers: help me out, CS? Seem to have my stupid day today...

PS: strangely, my tables don't start to lag, at least not up to 12 tables. Eye problem is solved with a nice mod. I'd probably still switch to stars part time next year, need to find (and use) a table mod a good bet pot script first though...
Plus all you guys are playing there, don't know if I need to play with you guys every day [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Chargers In 07 11-21-2007 01:26 PM

Customer service.

AlexB182 11-21-2007 01:27 PM

LOL, allright...Thank you.

keepitreal 11-21-2007 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With the better bonus, higher earn rate next year and the free rolls, its probably worth about $2,000 to make SN by the end of the year. Its not worth it if you can keep 10k VPP's per month every month next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

is it only $2k? i was hoping more. never really did calculations but i guess thats still a nice chunk.

and did u mean if you CANT sustain 10k/month? because you obviously lose it...or is getting 10k/month and being platinum good enough?

pattay 11-21-2007 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this outdated or something? Was made in mid August...

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6466/101058qx4.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

the only level i have a pretty decent sample size of is nl200, and i got about .52 VPP's per hand. so yea, kinda outdated imo

grouchie 11-21-2007 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I make supernova like twice a month [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I am loser.

[/ QUOTE ]

when did you hit elite?

grouchie 11-21-2007 06:27 PM

You figure that chart should be outdated especially now that they allow 24 tabling.

I think we should start a new thread for just full ring rates since the 24 table limit.

The NL 50 one on that list is pretty close to what I'm getting though