Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Community (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Staking dilemma (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=550446)

THAY3R 11-20-2007 04:56 AM

Staking dilemma

Scenario :

Staking team is built of 3 backers, A, B and C.

A has a horse from before the team was formed. Let's say he has 9k in makeup. A wants to bring him onto the team, what amount should B and C pay for this right?

It seems to me that theoretically if horse gets out of makeup 100% of the time, B and C should pay A 3k each. Of course this is not a certainty, hence the dilemma.

My brain has exploded thinking of what to do.

For the love of [censored], MTTC help us!

shaundeeb 11-20-2007 05:00 AM

Re: Staking dilemma

I obv suck at this but I think that B and C should be in on A in all future but backtrack it since the 9k in makeup was all given by A when horse gets even first 9k goes to A and rest is split up based on the standard deal.

While if the horse gets further into makeup BC can now cover the future buyins It doesn't have to be equal sending as long as everyone has an equal share in profits just because say B is giving the money doesn't mean A and C aren't still invovled. Now it's just as if it was always going on with all 3.

THAY3R 11-20-2007 05:02 AM

thayer: your post makes no sense
Shaun: lol
Shaun: fu

Dawg24 11-20-2007 10:15 AM

If person A is ok with that deal it sounds fair to me...translate...

A gets first 9000 made by stakee and then the horse is split 3 ways.

sounds fair...

Body Man D 11-20-2007 10:17 AM

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...d/images-1.jpg

Bakes 11-20-2007 01:10 PM

my solution works, i think. was there beef with it?

Todd Terry 11-20-2007 01:29 PM

There is no fair or correct solution to this problem. The player is worth a certain amount to a backer, in NPV terms, over the length of the backing period, call it X (obviously X is subject to a great amount of uncertainty, but ignore that for a second). B and C should be willing to pay any amount up to 1/3 X for the right to receive 1/3 of the player's profits over the backing period. Obviously, if the player were JC Tran live or Imper1um online, B and C should be willing to pay a lot more than they would for someone else. Essentially, A is giving up something of very uncertain value -- to wit, 2/3 of the profits of the player -- and how the parties value that something is dependent on the parties.

sheetsworld 11-20-2007 01:31 PM

Why would someone want a player who is in makeup? Doesn't that mean she is a losing player?

Man I thought you guys were smart.

sheets

sheetsworld 11-20-2007 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no fair or correct solution to this problem. The player is worth a certain amount to a backer, in NPV terms, over the length of the backing period, call it X (obviously X is subject to a great amount of uncertainty, but ignore that for a second). B and C should be willing to pay any amount up to 1/3 X for the right to receive 1/3 of the player's profits over the backing period. Obviously, if the player were JC Tran live or Imper1um online, B and C should be willing to pay a lot more than they would for someone else. Essentially, A is giving up something of very uncertain value -- to wit, 2/3 of the profits of the player -- and how the parties value that something is dependent on the parties.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol towitaments

Doylestown 11-20-2007 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the best

Double Ice 11-20-2007 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would someone want a player who is in makeup? Doesn't that mean she is a losing player?

sheets

[/ QUOTE ]

Heheh, now I know what Eric has been up to.

FatalError 11-20-2007 02:20 PM

http://www.tvcrazy.net/tvclassics/ar...ee-stooges.jpg

it's photoshop time?

BrandiFan 11-20-2007 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

sheets

[/ QUOTE ]

Heheh, now I know what Eric has been up to.

[/ QUOTE ]Hooking Brandi up with sat buyins?

Bidz 11-20-2007 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I lol'd

[ QUOTE ]
lol towitaments

[/ QUOTE ]
and again [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

ASPoker8 11-20-2007 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

cking 11-20-2007 03:51 PM

the answer:

stake me

:/

Ship Ship McGipp 11-20-2007 04:09 PM

if train B and train C leave the station at 6pm and they are 9k miles apart and train A leaves the same station but he has cargo on his back wearing makeup then whats for breakfast?

shaundeeb 11-20-2007 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if train B and train C leave the station at 6pm and they are 9k miles apart and train A leaves the same station but he has cargo on his back wearing makeup then whats for breakfast?

[/ QUOTE ]

waffles

WarDekar 11-20-2007 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Breakfast burritos?

FatalError 11-20-2007 04:41 PM

marijuana?

THAY3R 11-20-2007 04:43 PM

I would just like to point out that this is the person I have to deal with every day :

thayer: your post makes no sense
Shaun: lol
Shaun: fu
Shaun: how doesn't it?
Shaun: as long as its clear all 3 are in on the staking deal
Shaun: when the horse gets out of makeup he gets all
Shaun: but if the deal ends and it's -$
Shaun: then A B and C just sqaure up
Shaun: and all have an equal loss
thayer: do you nont understand what the dilemma is
Shaun: that theres 9k in makeup from A backing him
Shaun: while B and C want the action
Shaun: if A hadhad say 60% of the action
Shaun: and then had 20% and we had 20% a piece
Shaun: then if the horse gets up 20k we would spit that up normally
Shaun: I dunno how this sitatuon is ever different
thayer: so you think we should each give A 3k
Shaun: no
Shaun: nothing
Shaun: when the horse gets out of makeup
Shaun: A just gets 9k
thayer: so you think we should assume all future risk equally, while me and you get shafted on the 1st 9k
Shaun: to cover what he fronted
Shaun: yah
Shaun: it's bascalilly as if we were always there
Shaun: and A just gave him 9k to use first
thayer: so its basically me and you picking up a player at a loss
thayer: so A is freerolling
thayer: do you not see this
Shaun: no
Shaun: we all have equal equity
Shaun: and he just sent more to the horse
Shaun: just like with X
Shaun: we had equal shares
Shaun: but I got like 30k of his makeup
Shaun: cuz I had sent it to him
thayer: no its not just like X
Shaun: how so?
thayer: nobody joined in on us staking him
thayer: we were equally sharing in X's losses from the start
thayer: it wasnt like hey thayer want to absorb half my losses
thayer: and i was like yah ok
Shaun: but we aren't absorving half his losses
thayer: dude
thayer: lol
thayer: me and you miss out on the 1st 9k he makes, while A gets it
thayer: yet me and you assume equal risk on future losses
Shaun: but it's as if we were there from the start
thayer: just imagine if he was stuck 10 billion dollars
thayer: why would we do that
thayer: where we share future losses while A gets the 1st 10 billion
thayer: in future winnings

THAY3R 11-20-2007 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with what you are saying, but look at it from the viewpoint where if A's horse was not in makeup he would bring him onto the team at no charge.

Todd Terry 11-20-2007 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with what you are saying, but look at it from the viewpoint where if A's horse was not in makeup he would bring him onto the team at no charge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming the backers are getting 50% of the profits after makeup, then something in the ballpark of A gets 66 2/3, B gets 16 2/3, C gets 16 2/3 of the first $18K in total profit (i.e., $13.5K in profit to the backers) of the player, then 1/3 1/3 1/3 split after that seems to make sense. This is with all backers contributing 1/3 of each buy-in going forward. This lets A get the major share while the player is in makeup, but still gives B and C an incentive to back the player while he's in makeup. In fact, B and C are getting the same return on the player for the first $9K that they would be if he wasn't in makeup, since they don't have to split anything with the player. Run a spreadsheet with this as a starting point against various scenarios and I'm sure this will be close to agreeable.

Jurollo 11-20-2007 05:14 PM

B and C don't pay anything initially but are in on staking the player from that point, but A gets the first 9k for his makeup then the rest is split proportionally. If player is truly +EV its still a good deal for all the backers proportionally.

THAY3R 11-20-2007 05:17 PM

That is only correct if the deal is for forever, and if he is truly +EV.

I guess we have to take the % of time he doesn't get out of makeup/isn't +EV and multiply it by 3000 and that's the amount I owe.

What is the % though, and yes I realize now it's not something really quantifiable.

shaundeeb 11-20-2007 05:21 PM

thayer if he stays down we would just each give 9k first then after 27k in makeup do it even.

THAY3R 11-20-2007 05:28 PM

Stop posting in this thread.

imo

shaundeeb 11-20-2007 05:28 PM

HATE YOU, you are nothing/no one without me remember that

Jurollo 11-20-2007 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thayer if he stays down we would just each give 9k first then after 27k in makeup do it even.

[/ QUOTE ]
that actually makes sense. Over the next 18k in staking you dont pay and then pay 50/50 and you split profits 33/33/33

Body Man D 11-20-2007 05:40 PM

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q.../oddcouple.jpg

gobbomom 11-20-2007 05:48 PM

this thread reminds me of the good 'ole days, way last year before everybody started winning so much.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

shaundeeb 11-20-2007 05:50 PM

gobbomom I am linking this post in 12-18 months when you have your first 5 figure score.

Doylestown 11-20-2007 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q.../oddcouple.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry but I envision 2 Oscars here and no Felix. Feel free to photoshop if you see fit lol.

Aren't Mr. Waffle and Mr. Crush too young to even appreciate the humor in this.

gobbomom 11-20-2007 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
gobbomom I am linking this post in 12-18 months when you have your first 5 figure score.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! ok, you do that. and you & Thayer & Steve & Timex & A.J. will probley be fighting over who owns the most percentages of the most condo developments by then. I hope.

Double Ice 11-20-2007 07:23 PM

Does this makeup never expire? Is the horse allowed to quit A? My full analysis forthcoming after these questions are answered.

Sherman 11-20-2007 07:26 PM

A is obv >>>>>>>>> smarter than B.

Stumpy 11-20-2007 07:41 PM

Thayer, if the team would pay A nothing for a horse not in makeup, then A should pay B and C to take this horse, not vice versa.

Assuming a normal stake with a guy not in make-up, 50/50 split, if horse wins 9k in a tournament, you guys would get 1.5k each.

If A gets his 9k back first, then B and C would get $0.
So if A paid you guys each 1.5k, you'd be even.
This assumes the horse always gets out of makeup.

If he gets out of make-up 75% of the time, then A should pay B and C 1.5k * (0.75) = $1,125.
A then gets the first 9k in wins back.

A obviously has the choice to either take this deal or keep staking the guy on his own.

Confused1 11-20-2007 07:52 PM

I think it should go like this:

Player starts getting backed by group, player A has 9K of makeup on him.

When player wins $$, third it up and pay each person their share (makeup first, then their split). Player A get's the 'players' share against his makeup until he's out of the hole.

For instance...let's say he goes $6K more in the hole, then has a 15K score. $5K (1/3 - all makeup) goes to player A and he still has $6K makeup on that. Other two guys get $2K each (their makeup) and their 'split' their profit (at 50/50, that's $1500 each). That leaves the player with $3K in 'his' pile...but then that goes to player A and reduces his makeup to $3K.

Rinse, repeat.

That doesn't subject staker b and c to buying bad debt, but provides staker A a way to get out of his makeup with less future risk.

Obviously if B or C WANT to buy some debt, then they could, but I wouldn't do it without some vig (nobody pays full price for debt). If Staker A wants some money, he could sell $3K of that makeup for say $2500, should he be willing to do that (rate depends on likelihood of return).

oh - and stake me.

Todd Terry 11-20-2007 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thayer, if the team would pay A nothing for a horse not in makeup, then A should pay B and C to take this horse, not vice versa.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the player is +EV, this is totally wrong -- it is a benefit to B and C to get a player stuck in makeup, because it means that the first $9K in profit is going all to the backers, whereas only $4500 of the first $9K in profit would go to the backers if the player wasn't in makeup. And if the player is -EV, he shouldn't be backed by A, B or C.

THAY3R 11-20-2007 08:40 PM

This seems like a good plan, thoughts?

Aguiar (5:45:23 PM): how about you and shaun pay the full 3k
Aguiar (5:45:33 PM): with the stipulation that if he ends the deal with makeup
Aguiar (5:45:35 PM): you get that % back
Aguiar (5:45:58 PM): so if the deal ends 6k in makeup
Aguiar (5:46:01 PM): you and shaun get 1k each back
Aguiar (5:46:12 PM): if the deal ends 100k in makeup you only get 3k back tho