Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   SSNL in Thailand (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=549646)

sh58 11-19-2007 10:38 AM

SSNL in Thailand

so me and my mate are gonna live in thailand for 4 months or more starting in January.

we are both poker players, me playing 1-2 and him playing 3-6, and the plan is to just grind and party, and hopefully come back to england rich and happy (ier).

i have seen dotted around various threads that there are other people who are thinking of doing the same thing, i heard that fletch is coming to thailand in jan as well, but for a whole year, and i'm sure there are others who are thinking about it.

so i thought i'd make this post for us to plan the trip a bit, help each other out, meet up when we get out there etc.

the thread below is a must read for those thinking about living in thailand

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...art=92&vc=1

the main issues seem to be:

the net is a bit slow unless you buy some special cable ($500), this is the only real living expense that i can think of

there are nicer places than bangkok, we are probably gonna live up north

avoid getting ripped off by the locals

ladyboys!!

let the fun begin

Jay Riall 11-19-2007 12:40 PM

Re: SSNL in Thailand

lol wierd, I'm planning to go for almost the exact same timeframe and am just about to book my tickets. I'm planning to go mid Jan and come back some time in April I guess. By myself for most of it, but I have a friend coming out for a month in Feb and another friend for a couple of weeks at some point. I'm probably going to travel round a whole bunch of different places, but would definitely want to meet up/party/go whoring (sans ladyboys) at some point. You planning on living in Chaing Mai (sp??)?

Edit : If at any point someone wants a roommate for a month or something then give me a shout.

willw9 11-19-2007 12:42 PM

Just curious, how much do you guys plan on spending between airfare, living accomodations, food, partying, etc during thses 4 months?

Jay Riall 11-19-2007 12:43 PM

Oh another point. I am really dumb. If I book a ticket to go back on say the 21st April, am I able to change the date if I want to go home earlier/later? I want a decent amount of flexibility in my return date.

Jay Riall 11-19-2007 12:45 PM

Will - My airfare is $1000ish (from the UK), and I've been told its pretty hard to spend more than $2-3k/m while there even travelling around, food, accomodation, partying etc.

manupod 11-19-2007 12:56 PM

If I wasn't already going to Denver, I'd be excited for this. I need something around April, when ski season ends- what are your plans for after that?

Bikini Wax 11-19-2007 12:57 PM

not sure if SSNL will find a house that I like but if you guys find something nice PM me -

[b]

Fletcher19 11-19-2007 01:02 PM

Myself and another 2p2er are planning on going from about Late Jan-Dec but maybe longer depending on how things go.

Haven't really got to far as booking places/tickets and such. We are planning on going to koh samui and are looking to sort out a house when we get there as apparently they are alot cheaper if you sort it out there rather than the expensive ones offered by foreign holiday companies on the net.

Would be class to meet up with people other 2p2ers over there too.

Any reason you guys are planning on going up to the north? I've heard it's alot cheaper there than the south but less beaches.

Great thread idea [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

dirtylobster 11-19-2007 01:06 PM

I might hook up for a few weeks in april if you're still there. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

kolotoure 11-19-2007 02:42 PM

I will probably be going to see a girlfriend there for a couple of months next year

sh58 11-19-2007 02:53 PM

yeah i was thinking a roommate would be great cos the only real expense that is out of the ordinary seems to be the decent internet cable and having more than 2 people in a flat will more fun anyway.

i'm a bit worried cos i haven't really sorted anything out at all yet. i have no real plans about north or south really, don't really care either, just heard bangkok isn't so great except for maybe a week or so

Cernunnos 11-19-2007 02:55 PM

i'm moving there dec/jan for looooooooong time, will be based near nakhon ratchasima or kolat

sebbb 11-19-2007 04:46 PM

This is totally off-topic, but I wanted to thank the OP for his recent contributions to the forum ("how I retooled my game", etc). I'm gonna move back down to NL50 after a large downswing and try to apply your concepts.

Jay Riall 11-19-2007 09:13 PM

Just found out we can't play Party in Thailand. How gay

nazahl 11-19-2007 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

boo [censored] hoo. welcome to america

Rolon 11-19-2007 09:23 PM

I just moved to Thailand three days ago. I'm in Bangkok right now but am not sure where I'm going to get an apartment or house. I'm either heading up to Chang Mai or down to Koh Sumai to check out potential places.

I'm staying at my friends house right now and without any special internet cable, the internet is wicked fast. Although I am comparing it to a 56k China connection so I'm a bit biased.

On another note, it seems as if half of 2p2 is moving to Thailand. Perhaps because poker got harder, they make less money and can't afford to live in their home countries? Interesting theory, eh?

sh58 11-19-2007 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you can play, it is just illegal, and not something the police care about apparantly. people play on party in internet cafes and stuff. i'm gonna be very careful and only play when i am in a private room but it isn't supposed to be a problem

any form of gambling is illegal in thailand, as is dancing, so they don't take a very hard line on it like they do with drugs

sh58 11-19-2007 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is totally off-topic, but I wanted to thank the OP for his recent contributions to the forum ("how I retooled my game", etc). I'm gonna move back down to NL50 after a large downswing and try to apply your concepts.

[/ QUOTE ]

your welcome

DontTapTheGlass 11-20-2007 11:03 AM

Bangkok is where it's at IMO. A lot of the old farts prefer the beach life, and just to warn you...be flexible. Living on a beach, getting sun, and playing poker sounds great on paper, but the nightlife on the islands is pretty limited. It can get old pretty quickly.

After 4-5 days in the south, I can't wait to get back to Bangkok. Just don't lock yourself into a lease if you can. Good luck and look me up when you guys arrive.

GSykes 11-20-2007 11:53 AM

Me and some buddies were going to go like April 15->May 15 before the WSOP but isn't that the start or is rain season?

sh58 11-20-2007 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bangkok is where it's at IMO. A lot of the old farts prefer the beach life, and just to warn you...be flexible. Living on a beach, getting sun, and playing poker sounds great on paper, but the nightlife on the islands is pretty limited. It can get old pretty quickly.

After 4-5 days in the south, I can't wait to get back to Bangkok. Just don't lock yourself into a lease if you can. Good luck and look me up when you guys arrive.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i don't really care where i am as i don't know any better. as long as i have 24 hour good web acess and it is a nice place and cheap i'll be more than happy.

my learn thai cd rom arrived today, apparantly the locals like you a lot more if you speak a bit of their language. i am awful at languages, so we'll see how well i can do

GSykes 11-21-2007 12:49 AM

I have been talking to my friends and they are really interested.

How hard would it to be able to stay for like 6 month?

SinkRox 11-21-2007 06:59 AM

I went on my own for just 3 weeks last may, but it was a great fun trip.

Buy a few books and you can get the lowdown on all the different places. I would suggest finding somewhere nice to stay... then every now and then perhaps go off on a 4-7day bender somewhere, like the full moon party?

SinkRox 11-21-2007 07:00 AM

Apparently its easy to stay for long periods, every now and then (3 months?) you have to travel outside of Thailand for a day, then you can come back rinse and repeat.

fees 11-21-2007 07:11 AM

WTF is the fascination with thailand will someone please explain this. (I'm not knocking it, I just do not get it at all)

Vavavoom 11-21-2007 07:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
WTF is the fascination with thailand will someone please explain this. (I'm not knocking it, I just do not get it at all)

[/ QUOTE ]

Ł1 === > $2.10 ==== > A Long Way in Thailand

dirtylobster 11-21-2007 07:53 AM

Eastern europe is also pretty cheap but there aren't palm trees and monkeys (or thai women) in contries like the Czech Republic or Poland.

sh58 11-21-2007 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Eastern europe is also pretty cheap but there aren't palm trees and monkeys (or thai women) in contries like the Czech Republic or Poland.

[/ QUOTE ]

plus i just went there on holiday a few months ago

Fletcher19 11-23-2007 11:15 PM

what's this cable you speak of sh?

i still havent booked anything as of yet but the wheels are in motion right now. i've got soooo much stuff to sort out.

Also, everybody feel free to add me to AIM (FletcherNineteen) or whatever. I think it's good to talk to as many as people as possible about the whole thing really.

Fletch

ofdabeat 11-24-2007 04:25 AM

This cable thing is bullcrap. For 25 bucks a month we have a good connection very few problems ( shared by 3 people we are renting a house on sukhumvit).

You can play party in thailand just PM cookie for details.

Living in bangkok is the nuts, many cool other cities but in BKK you won't get bored ever. Domestic travel is dirt cheap.

[ QUOTE ]
will be based near nakhon ratchasima or kolat

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow... Isan gf? How old are you?

fees 11-24-2007 05:41 AM

1 USD = 31.2 BAHT's

mmmmk.. how much does say a cup of coffee or a pack of gum cost in thailand? How much is rent for a nicer place?

Bramsterdam 11-24-2007 07:09 AM

BKK is isn't exactly the nuts. It's a dirty city without fresh air. I wouldn't stay there for more then a week...

immesan 11-24-2007 07:34 AM

Im going in a few days will be staying for a few months...first off iŽll party like a rockstar in pataya for a few days...then head on to samui and iŽll stay there for some time... anyways dnt be a stranger HOLLA!!!

monkover 11-24-2007 07:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

your welcome

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry must have missed them... can you please post the links?

Cernunnos 11-24-2007 07:55 AM

I'm 36, and yes, her mum is from kolat,I met her here in england , she is a chef, i was a chef to before poker. Only problem is she is a fantastic cook, ive put on a 1.5 stones this year, so i've already got my wieght loss target for next , 6 2' and sixteen stone is ok........ 17 and half is getting phat.

sh58 11-24-2007 07:57 AM

well....i just read about needing the cable in the degen living in thailand thread so if it is not true then that is great

monkover

here is my newest post about retooling your game

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...ue#Post13026431

in it there is a link to my PAHUD stats post too.

monkover 11-24-2007 08:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
well....i just read about needing the cable in the degen living in thailand thread so if it is not true then that is great

monkover

here is my newest post about retooling your game

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...ue#Post13026431

in it there is a link to my PAHUD stats post too.

[/ QUOTE ]

sweet thanks

ofdabeat 11-24-2007 08:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BKK is isn't exactly the nuts. It's a dirty city without fresh air. I wouldn't stay there for more then a week...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's your opinion, but just about every poker player now in thailand live there ( a few in phuket too ) , but that's probably because we are all clueless.

immesan 11-24-2007 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's your opinion, but just about every poker player I KNOW in thailand live there ( a few in phuket too ) , but that's probably because we are all clueless.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Schmitty 87 11-26-2007 11:14 AM

From what I know, for good internet you'll need to live in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, or one of the more touristy islands (Koh Samui or Phuket). Chiang Mai is the cheapest, but I'd probly do Samui given the choice. I would prefer to live in Chiang Mai, but for grinding/partying for a few months, I think Samui is better.

Don't worry much about getting ripped off. The one time I got ripped hard is when I paid 8x the price I should have for a taxi in Bangkok, costing me like US$8.

I'm likely gonna be back in Thailand from March 14th-April 28th, so I'll be sure to check up to see what you guys are up to.