Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   The NL kids who short stack omaha now (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=547914)

billm420 11-16-2007 08:00 PM

The NL kids who short stack omaha now

Dustin Dirksen how much is this guy down? gotta be 6 figures

doesn't seem like they are doing too well playing omaha?

amirite?

tubk 11-16-2007 08:01 PM

Re: The NL kids who short stack omaha now

no

sqwisssssss 11-16-2007 08:13 PM

wasnt itslinda or someone like that very successful at shorstacking the nose bleeds?

i know dustin starts out with the minimum but he is as loose as gus. i dont know if he can win long term like that.

NNNNOOOOONAN 11-16-2007 08:16 PM

i think it's weird that everyone in the world hates shortstackers, but when durrrr and raptor rathole, no one says anything.

i don't have a problem with it, whatever makes you the money, but it's sad the double standard on this forum.

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

LucidDream 11-16-2007 08:27 PM

shortstacking in omaha is much less effective.

fraac 11-16-2007 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think it's weird that everyone in the world hates shortstackers, but when durrrr and raptor rathole, no one says anything.

i don't have a problem with it, whatever makes you the money, but it's sad the double standard on this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]
Those who hate shortstackers don't understand the game. But what do you care?

Taylor Caby 11-16-2007 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm pretty sure this isn't true. there's a lot of people making a lot of money doing this.

tc

kuelk420 11-16-2007 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm pretty sure this isn't true. there's a lot of people making a lot of money doing this.

tc

[/ QUOTE ]

very true, in nl a shortstacker can be all in pre-flop with only a 5% chance, where in omaha..

Azizal 11-16-2007 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

tc

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT, I know of a few who have been very successful doing this at nosebleed stakes.

imabigdeal 11-16-2007 08:52 PM

peachykeen is doing it, doesn't seem to be working too well for him but i think he's jus trying to learn the game still so he's startin off small. also it seems like both of his accts have been playin at once dk what's up with that

ArmenH 11-16-2007 08:55 PM

It's very hard to make mistakes when you buy in for minimum. He's just trying pushing when he's getting good odds on his money. Kind of gay.

Ansky 11-16-2007 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
peachykeen is doing it, doesn't seem to be working too well for him but i think he's jus trying to learn the game still so he's startin off small. also it seems like both of his accts have been playin at once dk what's up with that

[/ QUOTE ]

what 2 accounts?

LucidDream 11-16-2007 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

tc

[/ QUOTE ]

im not saying people can't do it very successfully. but a shortstacker can never have as big of an equity advantage in PLO as compared to NL.

limon 11-16-2007 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

tc

[/ QUOTE ]

this is true. less effective doesnt equal not effective.

the main mistake people make against shortstackers is calling their bets/raises with hands that are severely dominated and they have no implied odds or bluff opportunites. in omaha fewer hands are severely dominated (especially pre flop)

Dilznoofus 11-16-2007 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Those who hate shortstackers don't understand the game. But what do you care?

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you elaborate?

Victor 11-16-2007 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

tc

[/ QUOTE ]

im not saying people can't do it very successfully. but a shortstacker can never have as big of an equity advantage in PLO as compared to NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

doesnt this work both ways? one can never be as big a dog either.

plzbenice 11-16-2007 09:22 PM

prett sure i saw dirksen up 500K+ on highstakes.nu

Micturition Man 11-16-2007 09:30 PM

I think the advantage is bigger in PLO.

Hands being closer in value means:

1. You can stick it in pre more often,

2. You gain a lot more by being all-in on the flop because even when you missed the flop you still have substantial equity... in NL when you miss you are typically way behind.

3. The preflop domination effect is a lot less significant in PLO which means you will rarely be hurt for your inability to get 100 BB's in preflop. (Except against big donks.)

and

4. In practice it is WAY more common for someone to play PLO too loose than to play NLHE too loose. (I would say easily 80%+ of FTP 200/400 PLO players play too loose pre.)

augie_ 11-16-2007 09:38 PM

its simple why omaha is way better to shortstack than HE. you can resteal and when you get called, its 51/49 no matter what tyou have

Bonified 11-16-2007 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
its simple why omaha is way better to shortstack than HE. you can resteal and when you get called, its 51/49 no matter what tyou have

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much :-). If anyone's interested, Rolf Slotboom's book has some interesting discussion of short-stacking PLO.

imabigdeal 11-16-2007 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what 2 accounts?

[/ QUOTE ]

p_c4Libr4ted and n0rthf4ce

DLizzle 11-16-2007 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
peachykeen is doing it, doesn't seem to be working too well for him

[/ QUOTE ]

fwiw in my experience p3achykeen is pretty bad at fullstacked omaha, i would guess he is shorstacking to get a feel for it, but maybe not.

DLizzle 11-16-2007 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Those who hate shortstackers don't understand the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong

WotaWaster 11-16-2007 10:32 PM

"the main mistake people make against shortstackers is calling their bets/raises with hands that are severely dominated and they have no implied odds or bluff opportunites. in omaha fewer hands are severely dominated (especially pre flop)"

Really? I am pretty sure at the mid-high stakes, semi decent players aren't calling a 4bb raise from a guy with 20bbs to set mine.

DLizzle 11-16-2007 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"the main mistake people make against shortstackers is calling their bets/raises with hands that are severely dominated and they have no implied odds or bluff opportunites. in omaha fewer hands are severely dominated (especially pre flop)"

Really? I am pretty sure at the mid-high stakes, semi decent players aren't calling a 4bb raise from a guy with 20bbs to set mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

its funny when someone makes a cleverly crafted condescending remark like this when they just didn't understand the post they responded to. sorry if i misinterpreted and you weren't being condescending but it sure seemed that way.

PokerHatesMe 11-16-2007 11:25 PM

If your not short stacking PLO you are essentially playing flips every time you see a flop... might not be for your whole stack, but a substantial amount since draws are pushed so hard

DLizzle 11-16-2007 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If your not short stacking PLO you are essentially playing flips every time you see a flop

[/ QUOTE ]

come on guys.

anyway, enough ripping on people, my own comments on shortstacking plo are that I think it could be very profitable because in high-nosebleed stakes people are more likely to just ignore the shorstacks and see them as just adding money to the pot, and kinda play like the shortstacks don't exist, as opposed to holdem where people adjust to them somewhat better.

Not sure if that came out like how I mean, but I do think that a smart plo shortstacker could make a comparable amount to a smart nlh shortstacker, and possibly much more. However I also think that being a very good plo shortstacker is much more difficult than being a very good nlh shortstacker, but I'm just guessing on all of this.

PS shorstacks please die

chucky 11-16-2007 11:34 PM

And yet very good players make long term profit at several bb/100 hands. Short-stacking does not change your flop equity , all it does is make getting it in light on the flop correct more often.

fraac 11-17-2007 08:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong

[/ QUOTE ]
The game is what the game is. It isn't what any prescriptive ruleset says it is, and it certainly isn't what you want and perhaps imagine it to be.

KamiKatze 11-17-2007 09:00 AM

Stats from highstakesdb

01.01.07-11.11.07 | FTP PLO

Losers
Results Session Hands Hours

Dustin Dirksen
$-565.691,00 106 6923 80,57

01.01.07-15.11.07 | FTP PLO

Losers

Dustin Dirksen
$-740.422,50 163 9656 118,6

01.01.07-16.11.07 | FTP PLO

Losers

Dustin Dirksen
$-892.378,00 183 10738 132,27

ericicecream 11-17-2007 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Short-stacking does not change your flop equity , all it does is make getting it in light on the flop correct more often.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't really true though. In multiway pots, just the fact that someone will usually flop a made type hand and someone else a draw, the made hand can often bet the draw hand out, cleaning up your own draws, or the strong draw hand can bet out the 2 pair hand, allowing you to win with 2 weaker pair or even one pair if his draws miss.

As an example, say you c/r all-in preflop with KQQJds. You are against AK76ds that duplicates both your flush draws, only better, and JJT8 from the third guy. On a flop of JT4 rainbow, the JJT8 puts pressure to fold the other guy, and opens up the two queens as outs for you as well as opening up 2 back door flush draws.

orthopraxia 11-17-2007 10:47 AM

rolf slotboom wrote the book on short staking plo

zen_rounder 11-17-2007 10:48 AM

luck123 seems to to do well at shortstacking plo. buys in for 8k does afew flips

DLizzle 11-17-2007 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong

[/ QUOTE ]
The game is what the game is. It isn't what any prescriptive ruleset says it is, and it certainly isn't what you want and perhaps imagine it to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

so if i hate shorstacks because they make me and other people at the table play differently than if they weren't there, and in many cases make me win less money, I only hate them because I don't understand the game? Also if sites allowed you to sit with 0.1bb, would that be cool with you? It would all be part of the game of course. What if they only allowed 100bb or more?

fraac 11-17-2007 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so if i hate shorstacks because they make me and other people at the table play differently than if they weren't there, and in many cases make me win less money, I only hate them because I don't understand the game? Also if sites allowed you to sit with 0.1bb, would that be cool with you? It would all be part of the game of course. What if they only allowed 100bb or more?

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you trying to prove your point or mine?

Don't hate the player – this is well known. But also don't hate the game. Be one with the game. Then you don't beat the game, you simply find that it pays well.

JB_Dawg 11-17-2007 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is incorrect

JB_Dawg 11-17-2007 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

Quote:

tc

[/ QUOTE ]

not to be a jerk, but you are wrong and you dont understand what a short stacker is trying to do

DLizzle 11-17-2007 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't hate the player – this is well known. But also don't hate the game. Be one with the game. Then you don't beat the game, you simply find that it pays well.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf? i can hate the player if i want. fu

fraac 11-17-2007 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf? i can hate the player if i want. fu

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think poker is for you... but you are definitely for poker. Sit at my table any time.

Hattifnatt 11-17-2007 01:07 PM

shortstacking omaha well is more effective than shortstacking NL well in general.