Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Is one wrong answer more wrong? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=546864)

KneeCo 11-15-2007 02:00 PM

Is one wrong answer more wrong?

If I say "2 + 2 = 5", and someone else says "2 + 2 = -63", is it correct to say that he is 'more wrong'.

madnak 11-15-2007 02:25 PM

Re: Is one wrong answer more wrong?

"Wrongness" has to be defined here. You are closer to the correct answer than he is. Does that mean much? Not in this case. Close doesn't count in math, though your answer is more correct as an estimate.

tame_deuces 11-15-2007 02:39 PM

In physics you are most correct and the other guy is old-school.

tame_deuces 11-15-2007 02:43 PM

Oh and in psychology you are so last year and the other guy has worked out a new model others are now refining.

(And that's my field so I get to crack jokes at it!)

Splendour 11-15-2007 03:02 PM

You have just defined the political process known as revolution in mathematical terms.

Kurn, son of Mogh 11-15-2007 04:19 PM

close is only important in horseshoes and hand grenades.

FortunaMaximus 11-15-2007 04:35 PM

Looks like a definite maybe.

mbillie1 11-15-2007 04:37 PM

in math you're both idiots

TheCutter 11-15-2007 05:41 PM

In religion they are both completely irrelevant, since they are not mentioned in the holy book.

PLOlover 11-15-2007 10:58 PM

sure one is more wrong.

if a cashier overcharges you a dollar, and your buddy 2 dollars,

did one of you get overcharged more?

surftheiop 11-15-2007 11:10 PM

and engineering or any real world application of math for that matter

AlexM 11-15-2007 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I say "2 + 2 = 5", and someone else says "2 + 2 = -63", is it correct to say that he is 'more wrong'.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say yes. Obviously in this situation both answers just look stupid, but if we were dealing with numbers in the trillions and someone was one off with more complicated equations than simple addition, it would be hard to say that the person who is 1 off isn't "less wrong" than the person who is trillions off.

Borodog 11-15-2007 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I say "2 + 2 = 5"

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you an astrophysicist?

Close enough.

madnak 11-16-2007 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sure one is more wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

He gets overcharged more, but that doesn't mean the cashier was "more wrong" in his case. In fact, he may have been "less wrong" by some standards. What if your true total is $.75, while your buddy's total is $214.99?

Another example. Imagine that I'm measuring the distance to a certain star, and so is my friend. I like the number 50, so I guess "50 parsecs." My friend works out some calculations, and they're almost perfect - but he makes a careless mistake and comes up with 70 parsecs as his answer. The actual distance of the star is 45 parsecs. Am I more right?

And what if my answer to 2+2 is 8? Or 40? Maybe -4? At least these are all divisible by 2, and have a meaningful relationship to the correct answer of 4. Can we say that 5 is "more correct" because it happens to be in closer proximity to the correct answer? What if having an even number, or a number with the digit "4" in it, is important to our application?

andyfox 11-16-2007 12:57 AM

Depends. If someone tells us to go up two floors from the second floor to pick up our checks and I end up on floor 5 and you end up on floor -63, you're going to have a harder time getting to the right place than I. But if we're taking a math test, we both get the problem wrong.

Borodog 11-16-2007 01:24 AM

4 ~ 5

4 !~ -63

QED

mickeyg13 11-16-2007 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
4 ~ 5

4 !~ -63

QED

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on how you define the "~" operator. In some applications it might make sense to say that 5 is more right than 4, but if you want to speak strictly about mathematics, both answers are equally wrong. In a mathematics course, if the correct answer is pi, for instance, and a student writes 3.141592653 for an answer, then that answer is wrong, although that answer is more than fine for almost any conceivable engineering application.

PLOlover 11-16-2007 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
4 ~ 5

[/ QUOTE ]

4 is equal to 5 for extremely large values of 4. lol

Phil153 11-16-2007 03:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The second is more wrong as it violates a greater number of basic principles. There are number of principles broadly and instinctively understood, such as proximity, relative size, oddness and evenness, positives making a positive, and so on. The first only violates a couple whereas the second violates several more, indicating that the person giving the second answer is more prone to error.

stinkypete 11-16-2007 04:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
4 ~ 5

[/ QUOTE ]

4 is equal to 5 for extremely large values of 4. lol

[/ QUOTE ]

i was thinking more along the lines of "4 has the same distribution as 5"

soko 11-16-2007 05:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
sure one is more wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

He gets overcharged more, but that doesn't mean the cashier was "more wrong" in his case. In fact, he may have been "less wrong" by some standards. What if your true total is $.75, while your buddy's total is $214.99?

[/ QUOTE ]

To take this a step further you could also say what if the cashier gave one of you an extra $10 and the other an extra $20? It was the same mistake, one extra bill unaccounted for but the damage the mistake has caused is not proportional to the physical act of making the mistake.

Borodog 11-16-2007 05:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
4 ~ 5

4 !~ -63

QED

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on how you define the "~" operator. In some applications it might make sense to say that 5 is more right than 4, but if you want to speak strictly about mathematics, both answers are equally wrong. In a mathematics course, if the correct answer is pi, for instance, and a student writes 3.141592653 for an answer, then that answer is wrong, although that answer is more than fine for almost any conceivable engineering application.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have ruint teh funny.

tame_deuces 11-16-2007 05:47 AM

Postmodernistically you are both challenging the rigorous adherence to tradition and boldly offering new truths. 2+2=5 is still bound by old beliefs while 2+2=63 is new, radical and postulates a change to the system, whilst being subjective, still poses new and unanswered question to the teachings brought to young ones all across the modern world. Existensialistic mathematics if you will.

We are all right.

soko 11-16-2007 06:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Postmodernistically you are both challenging the rigorous adherence to tradition and boldly offering new truths. 2+2=5 is still bound by old beliefs while 2+2=63 is new, radical and postulates a change to the system, whilst being subjective, still poses new and unanswered question to the teachings brought to young ones all across the modern world. Existensialistic mathematics if you will.

We are all right.

[/ QUOTE ]

does the same thing apply for 2+2=-63 though? I think that is the real question here.

StayHungry 11-16-2007 06:34 AM

Thinking about this question is a complete waste of time.

StayHungry 11-16-2007 06:38 AM

In fact, what can be gained from this post is the realization that this question exists in the realm of nothingness.

tame_deuces 11-16-2007 07:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

We are all right.

[/ QUOTE ]

does the same thing apply for 2+2=-63 though? I think that is the real question here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I...I don't know! I will peruse Kierkegaard, Sartre and lots of german authors with difficult names and make up my own opinion referenced to works nobody has ever read in a glaring attempt to state something provoking.

Borodog 11-16-2007 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

We are all right.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP. Decisive yet cryptic.

Do you see why?

Nielsio 11-16-2007 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Given that this is a logical problem, there are only true and false statements. Saying that one false statement is 'more wrong' than another false statement does not compute.

jester710 11-16-2007 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given that this is a logical problem, there are only true and false statements. Saying that one false statement is 'more wrong' than another false statement does not compute.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a simple case of applying Degrees of Wrongness. 2+2=5 gives us +1, so it's at Level 1 on the Wrongness scale. 2+2=-63 is a -59 on the scale, so it is in fact really really right; more righter, in fact, than 2+2=4, which has a mere 0 Degrees of Wrongness.

The question we're left with, of course, is: at what point does an answer become so right that it is, in fact, wrong? In other words, is it possible to be more wronger and less righter despite increasing the degree of Less Wrongitude past the point of Extreme Rightness?