Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Heads Up Poker (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   HUSNG - Marginal hand OOP on turn (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=546446)

Nichomacheo 11-14-2007 10:50 PM

HUSNG - Marginal hand OOP on turn

Haven't picked up much on villain, other than he limps more than optimal in position.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (2 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button (t1415)
Hero (t1585)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
Button calls t15, Hero checks.

Flop: (t60) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t60</font>, Button calls t60.

Turn: (t180) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Check/Call?, Check/Fold? Bet/Fold?

I see merits to all of these lines. Am I aiming for pot control or should I be trying to extract value from a weaker ten (who may think I'm on a flush draw) or flush draw (who will either take a free card/bet)?

rja87 11-14-2007 10:55 PM

Re: HUSNG - Marginal hand OOP on turn

I'd fire on the turn, alot of them will just give up since your turn bet will be bigger than the flop bet. There's also a good chance he's on the draw or bottom pair, it's pretty rare they play a queen this way so the only hand you can feasibly be worried about is AT. I'd definitely bet and then evaluate again depending on the river.

jay_shark 11-14-2007 11:03 PM

The bet-fold option is stronger .

It is a limped pot after all so it's likely your hand fairs better if he has middle pair . If he has top pair , you will probably find out on the turn but I think this is less than 50% of the time .

cwar 11-14-2007 11:23 PM

I would c/c here, I think without a lot of info this will do the best because you have to assume he will be a significant amount of flush draws when checked to so this protects you best when he has Qx and you extract more from his weaker pairs.

Dromar 11-14-2007 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would c/c here, I think without a lot of info this will do the best because you have to assume he will be a significant amount of flush draws when checked to so this protects you best when he has Qx and you extract more from his weaker pairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. c/c.

bbbushu 11-15-2007 02:03 AM

cwar,

are u saying that when we check villain will bet his/her weaker pairs? seems like villain will need to bet a lot of hands like that or the draws in order for checking to be better. our check looks defensive to villain on the turn - i doubt they'd bet very often as a bluff (or even semibluff) knowing that we prolly won't fold.

Landonfan 11-15-2007 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Do we c/c twice, or call turn/fold river? Without reads, I can't possibly see how calling twice is better than a b/f.

Landonfan 11-15-2007 02:25 AM

Oh, what level is this? This a b/f at an 11, but I don't know how it would play out where the ratio of stations to bluff-happy lags is different.

sonneti 11-15-2007 12:03 PM

Sorry for derailment but I've only started playing HU sng's lately so I may be way off but why arent you raising pre-flop? If he is limping too much shouldnt you be punishing that or should we just wait until later.

At the $20 level I'd normally raise PF, fire at the flop, fire at the turn, check call river to see all sorts of wiffed draws and 7-9 type combo's.

jay_shark 11-15-2007 12:13 PM

Sonneti , you're right .

He should have raised pre-flop with k-10 against a frequent limper .

Nichomacheo 11-15-2007 05:55 PM

Hero bets 120
Villain raises to 240

Hero?

Anyone like betting 90 or 150 better?

Nichomacheo 11-15-2007 06:00 PM

Oh, and as for KT oop, I think it's close as to whether you should raise preflop or just check. Against loose small blind limp/callers, I'd rather not play a big pot with this hand and these stacks.

ChicagoRy 11-15-2007 06:08 PM

I'd rather raise it against somebody who's limping AND raising PF, as you can be pretty sure you have the stronger hand.

It's tough to raise a hand like KTo OOP to a constant limper because he shows up with hands that dominate or are ahead of you preflop too often and you put yourself in very tough spots.

1outer 11-15-2007 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather raise it against somebody who's limping AND raising PF, as you can be pretty sure you have the stronger hand.

It's tough to raise a hand like KTo OOP to a constant limper because he shows up with hands that dominate or are ahead of you preflop too often and you put yourself in very tough spots.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. I played a HU sng today against a constant limper and ran A4 into AA on a A46 board. I was absolutely shocked (match only lasted like 21 hands tho).

I would c/c turn as well. There are some draws out there that may not fold to a) strong bet (3/4 - pot size bet) b)c/r. I feel like you don't have that much FE on that board. You don't want to build that pot with a marginal hand OOP to an opponent that has a gigantic range of hands due to his standard limp PF.

I would prob hafta check the river if board comes paint as it completes lots of draws and probably call most bets except shove if river comes blank.