Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Tournament Circuit/WSOP (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Ruling Question: Oversize Chip Thrown On Top of Blind (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=546398)

Todd Terry 11-14-2007 09:36 PM

Ruling Question: Oversize Chip Thrown On Top of Blind

This issue has come up a few times in recent tournaments I played, with of course different rulings at different places and different rulings at the same place. If someone in the blinds throws an oversize chip out on top of the blind (that is, without pulling back the blind), is it a call or a raise? For example, folded around to the SB, blinds 100/200, SB throws out a 500 chip on top of the 100 chip already out there without saying anything.

xxrod17xx 11-14-2007 11:38 PM

Re: Ruling Question: Oversize Chip Thrown On Top of Blind

its a call...and the dealer should announce it as a call right away, and not ask if it is a call or a raise. Oversized Chip Rule.

Matt Savage 11-14-2007 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This issue has come up a few times in recent tournaments I played, with of course different rulings at different places and different rulings at the same place. If someone in the blinds throws an oversize chip out on top of the blind (that is, without pulling back the blind), is it a call or a raise? For example, folded around to the SB, blinds 100/200, SB throws out a 500 chip on top of the 100 chip already out there without saying anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

xxRodxx is correct.... It is a call.

Matt Savage

xxrod17xx 11-14-2007 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Matt Savage

[/ QUOTE ]

The Matt Savage?

Matt Savage 11-15-2007 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Matt Savage

[/ QUOTE ]

The Matt Savage?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes the 13 year old Jazz Pianist Matt Savage

shaniac 11-15-2007 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Matt Savage

[/ QUOTE ]

The Matt Savage?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes the 13 year old Jazz Pianist Matt Savage

[/ QUOTE ]

lol.

T_Mac 11-15-2007 02:38 AM

What if the guy pulls in the 100 and then throws out the 100 and the 500 together?

Clayton 11-15-2007 03:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What if the guy pulls in the 100 and then throws out the 100 and the 500 together?

[/ QUOTE ]

then its obv a raise, since there are two chippies

Todd Terry 11-15-2007 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What if he pulls in the 100 and then throws out the 500?

xxrod17xx 11-15-2007 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Also an obv raise...if he leaves out the small blind and puts in an oversized chip its an auto call. This was like the first thing i learned at dealers school.

Greg (FossilMan) 11-15-2007 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Also an obv raise...if he leaves out the small blind and puts in an oversized chip its an auto call. This was like the first thing i learned at dealers school.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, pretty sure you're wrong. Pulling in the 100, then tossing out the single 500 chip without saying anything is a call. The simplest way to explain the rule is that you must either verbally announce the raise, or you must MOVE two or more chips at the same time.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

sketchy1 11-15-2007 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, pretty sure you're wrong. Pulling in the 100, then tossing out the single 500 chip without saying anything is a call. The simplest way to explain the rule is that you must either verbally announce the raise, or you must MOVE two or more chips at the same time.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

[/ QUOTE ]

def not a raise. again this is an oversized chip. it would be no different than if you were in the large blind for 300, and tossed a 5k chip in after someone raised to 1k. this is a call, as is pulling back the sb and putting in an oversized chip.

good rule of thumb. unless you're throwing out more than one chip at a time, announce raise. otherwise, one chip tossed out is always going to be a call in no limit when there's action ahead of you. i can't think of a situation where you don't state raise and toss an oversized chip that it wouldn't be a call.

RR 11-15-2007 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i can't think of a situation where you don't state raise and toss an oversized chip that it wouldn't be a call.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is one, but it isn't NL and it isn't a tournament. I have no idea if they still do this, but traditionally playing 100-200 stud putting in a single 100 chip on third street was considered completing the bet because it was such a common thing.

Ramon Scott 11-15-2007 09:49 PM

How about small NL 1-3 cash game... $6 straddle is on, player tosses in two five dollar chips without any statement?

Todd Terry 11-15-2007 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have fairly consistently seen this ruled a raise.

xxrod17xx 11-16-2007 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was told in dealers school to use my disgresion with this one. I said it was an obv raise before, and greg as well as other peoples rulings (whom I trust more than my teachers in most cases) disagreed. I was told today that it can go either way. I don't think this is the case. It is either a raise or a call. Based on the fact that the player says nothing i take my previous statement back and also agree that it has to be a call weather you have seen it ruled a raise or not.

shaniac 11-16-2007 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't.

At Bellagio, during a 100/200 level, I threw in a 500 chip on top of my 100 small blind, intending to make it 600. It was ruled a call.

RR 11-16-2007 07:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How about small NL 1-3 cash game... $6 straddle is on, player tosses in two five dollar chips without any statement?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is clearly a call.

gobboboy 11-16-2007 07:28 AM

Why? You're throwing out two chips and the required raise is to 12 (or is it 9?) so either way you've gone over half the legal raise amount, right?

The straddle raise size is also messing with my head, I might just be tired though.

Todd Terry 11-16-2007 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't.

At Bellagio, during a 100/200 level, I threw in a 500 chip on top of my 100 small blind, intending to make it 600. It was ruled a call.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's always a call at the Bellagio. In fact, every time there's an argument about it here on the East Coast, I say, "It's a call at the Bellagio."

JohnnyGroomsTD 11-16-2007 10:02 AM

It's a call at Beau Rivage, and at any poker tournament I am associated with. The rule was intended to prvent an ambiguous action. If there is any doubt about a players intended action in that spot, it is ruled a call. the rule reads " when a player places an oversized chip in the pot without announcing the intention to raise, it will be considered a call" verbage may not be exact, but the fact that the player is actually placing ONE chip into the pot at the time covers this situation.

PBFan 11-16-2007 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
its a call...and the dealer should announce it as a call right away, and not ask if it is a call or a raise. Oversized Chip Rule.

[/ QUOTE ]

La Brujita 11-17-2007 12:06 AM

it was a call in the foxwoods 10k last week

Deuce2High 11-17-2007 03:05 PM

This just happened to me, as well.

At 100-200 I threw in a 500 chip in the small blind intending on raising.

I was under the impression that the oversized chip rule only mattered in those situations when you don't have smaller chips to make change. Guess not.

moorbr02 11-21-2007 06:19 AM

it's simple no matter what if you put an oversized chip in the pot it's a call. even if you're playing 1/2 no limit and you have 100 $1 chips in front of you and you place a $500 dollar chip in the pot without saying anything, you called a $2 bet. it's that simple. (oversized chip = call). how is this open for so much debate and questions? if you want to raise, just say raise. not that difficult.

MaverickUSC 11-21-2007 07:45 AM

but from the big blind it's still a raise, right? 1-2, limped, option, throw out a purple, poof! 700 total.

moorbr02 11-21-2007 12:50 PM

500 total, but only from the option. that's a raise because they pulled back the 2. but call for everyone else