Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Lazy way to pump gas (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=545969)

Yobz 11-14-2007 12:17 PM

Lazy way to pump gas

Gas pumps which don't have an auto-hold feature or whatever it's called piss the hell out of me. A while ago I discovered a way to auto-pump gas and not have to stand there holding the handle like a tool. Being the great guy I am, I am now relaying this discovery to everyone on the internet:
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/9500/img024pa0.jpg

Apathy 11-14-2007 12:18 PM

Re: Lazy way to pump gas

what happens when the tank is full on this method? does it just keep pouring and overflow?

Apathy 11-14-2007 12:19 PM

also my gas tank cover is attached to the car I think

kipin 11-14-2007 12:20 PM

Are you serious Apathy? Pumps have an auto shutoff feature.

Also, this wouldn't work with my car since the cover is attached by a plastic cable.

This is a pretty awesome idea tho!

Yobz 11-14-2007 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what happens when the tank is full on this method? does it just keep pouring and overflow?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it stops. When you're holding it, what happens? LDO...

[ QUOTE ]
also my gas tank cover is attached to the car I think

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine is, too. It is on a string thing but the string thing is long enough for this. Unless yours has a tiny string (never had a car with a really small one), this should work.

Yobz 11-14-2007 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, this wouldn't work with my car since the cover is attached by a plastic cable.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can see the plastic cable attached to the filler cap in the rear. It's not obvious in the picture, but it's there.

liquidboss 11-14-2007 12:24 PM

I am also very angered by the gas pump with the broken automatic feature. You win at life for thinking of this.

Apathy 11-14-2007 12:26 PM

Im going to try this today, they dont have the auto pump things in Ontario and I always get jealous when Im road tripping through the states that Americans get to be lazier then me.

Eurotrash 11-14-2007 12:26 PM

i'm pretty sure this trick has been around for decades.

Hold'em 07 11-14-2007 12:27 PM

I thought this was common knowledge?

MrWookie 11-14-2007 12:28 PM

Still, it's news to me and many other posters here. And in addition to helping you be lazy, you're less likely to forget your gas cap on the roof of your car.

bosoxfan 11-14-2007 12:32 PM

I'm really surprised this is new to some of you. In Massachusetts most of the pumps have a sticker saying it's illegal to do this.

PokerHatesMe 11-14-2007 12:34 PM

Welcome to 1985.

Dids 11-14-2007 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm really surprised this is new to some of you. In Massachusetts most of the pumps have a sticker saying it's illegal to do this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Boston:

Better at:

Football, basketball, baseball and pumping gas.

Per people from Boston.

tuq 11-14-2007 12:41 PM

News to me. OP, eff the haters. It's been awhile since I've seen a pump that didn't have the "auto-hold feature or whatever it's called" though.

Kneel B4 Zod 11-14-2007 12:42 PM

this has been around since gas caps have been around

RacersEdge 11-14-2007 12:45 PM

I'm going to guess it's more common in cold weather states.

mbillie1 11-14-2007 12:46 PM

This method of gas pumping makes women, children and the chinese obsolete.

PokerHatesMe 11-14-2007 12:46 PM

Obv OP suffered brain damage from sniffing too much gas fumes while standing there holding pump .... but hell I don't blame him... gas smells delicious !

Yeti 11-14-2007 12:48 PM

how slow exactly are your pumps? i am usually at the pump for 30 seconds.

Jzo19 11-14-2007 12:48 PM

agree with OP...standing and actually pumping gas makes me feel like an A hole ..the auto hold gas pump is one of the greatest inventions ever...srsly

tuq 11-14-2007 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Some of us get more than five dollars at a time. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Kneel B4 Zod 11-14-2007 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Euro pumps are MUCH faster. I was just on vaca, and I got 8 euro of gas in like literally 15 seconds. granted your petro or kerosene or whatever you use is more expensive, but it was so fast I thought I was being cheated or something

Yeti 11-14-2007 12:56 PM

yeah i thought they might be, i think you get around a litre a second here.

tuq 11-14-2007 12:58 PM

Wait, Yeti really is from Europe? With a Tom Cruise avatar and a healthy love of NFL football? Weird.

kyleb 11-14-2007 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what the [censored] that is some serious hose power

mbillie1 11-14-2007 12:58 PM

I'm in upstate NY and they pump sloooww, it might take 3-5 minutes to get 10 gallons I think. Varies by gas station though. Also my perception of time could just be awful.

XXXNoahXXX 11-14-2007 01:00 PM

I have a great lazy way to pump gas. It's called full service.

Teph 11-14-2007 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

inc. happy ending?

stabn 11-14-2007 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
agree with OP...standing and actually pumping gas makes me feel like an A hole ..the auto hold gas pump is one of the greatest inventions ever...srsly

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. And anything without an auto hold can diaf.

Yeti 11-14-2007 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what the [censored] that is some serious hose power

[/ QUOTE ]

ok might be a hairrr more but i'm pretty sure it's under 1.5 seconds. i don't pay that much attention. i don't how much it varies, i tend to go to the same place.

Runkmud 11-14-2007 01:08 PM

Oddly enough a bic lighter also fits in there perfectly, although I usually get some pretty strange looks when I use one to keep the gas flowing.

solids 11-14-2007 01:08 PM

LOL, this technique is as old as dirt, you noobs. But then again, I'm originally from upstate NY, so we basically know all of the tricks to stay out of the cold and snow. I now live in Jersey (technically), and we aren't even allowed to pump our own gas, which is nice.

miajag 11-14-2007 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Too bad this is unacceptable unless you are a New Jersey resident and/or a woman.

Kneel B4 Zod 11-14-2007 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oddly enough a bic lighter also fits in there perfectly, although I usually get some pretty strange looks when I use one to keep the gas flowing.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I can't imagine anything going wrong with exposing a potential source of fire to open flowing gas

microbet 11-14-2007 01:12 PM

As said, this is common knowledge. But, the pump you showed a picture of has an auto-hold feature. Perhaps it was broken or something, but that metal clip right in front of your gas cap will hold the pump on if you push it down after you start pumping. Or maybe that wasn't a pic of the pump in question? Or maybe lol?

tuq 11-14-2007 01:22 PM

mia,

Oregon has those gay no-pump laws also. From what I've heard it's to help reduce unemployment by forcing gas stations to hire people to pump gas. WTF.

kipin 11-14-2007 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I can't imagine anything going wrong with exposing a potential source of fire to open flowing gas

[/ QUOTE ]

Better stay away from the sun, and lightning bolts while pumping gas while you're at it!

stabn 11-14-2007 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
mia,

Oregon has those gay no-pump laws also. From what I've heard it's to help reduce unemployment by forcing gas stations to hire people to pump gas. WTF.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oregon just sucks dicks.

tuq 11-14-2007 01:27 PM

cabn,

That's why they're gay.