Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Ordering Takeout (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=545436)

twonine29 11-13-2007 07:01 PM

Ordering Takeout

i can't bring myself to cook regularly...i'll make myself a sandwich/hamburger helper/eggs&bacon maybe twice a week...the other 5 days i'm constantly ordering subs/chinese/pizza/any type of takeout/delivery.

Lazyness? Takeout-disorder? Can't fend for myself disorder? just normal college lifestyle?

not really concerned...just found it intriguing as i was placing an order for a Chicken Caesar salad and a side of fries when i could easily throw in a frozen pizza or make a tuna sandwich.

Pog0 11-13-2007 07:22 PM

Re: Ordering Takeout

I live off of takeout and pre-cooked chicken wings.

I'll make myself breakfast every 2 weeks or so.

I hear people can get joy out of cooking, and cooking for others can be fun, but I'd say you can write this one off as just a normal college lifestyle.

Henry17 11-13-2007 07:27 PM

Cooking isn't worth the effort. I either go to a restaurant or order delivery pretty much every meal. The first 6 years in this apartment I had never turned on the stove once. Now that I have a Gf she'll make dinner once or twice a week.

doppelganger 11-13-2007 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cooking isn't worth the effort. I either go to a restaurant or order delivery pretty much every meal. The first 6 years in this apartment I had never turned on the stove once. Now that I have a Gf she'll make dinner once or twice a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

This probably depends on your income and the value you place on your time. For a broke college student cooking more meals at home can save a lot of money for extra beer and women. Honestly, it doesn't take any more time to cook a simple meal than it does to wait for a delivery - delivery just frees up the 30-40 minutes you would've spent cooking to do something else.

sonneti 11-14-2007 12:29 PM

The quality of food you can cook is way better than buying take away but there is a bit of a learning curve involved. Takes me around 15 mins to cook a massive pot of chilli/taco's/bolognese/etc & serves like 7 people... or myself 7 times & it's so cheap its practically free.

Yads 11-14-2007 12:32 PM

How does it take you 15 minutes to cook a pot of chili?

istewart 11-14-2007 12:38 PM

I cook basically everything because nothing is healthy here, but man, campusfood makes it so [censored] easy.

traz 11-14-2007 12:40 PM

Most of my meals are takeout/store bought.

Young bachelor + no cooking ability + lazy ass + too much money.

I will either find a woman who will cook for me, or I will never eat home cooked food on a regular basis.

bobman0330 11-14-2007 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1 minute to open the can and pour the chili into a pot, 14 minutes to heat to serving temperature. pretty simple, really.

mbillie1 11-14-2007 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The quality of food you can cook is way better than buying take away

[/ QUOTE ]

obviously you've never eaten one of my trademarked "exploded, disgusting hotdogs" or "mac and cheese with powdery clumps of dried cheese mixture clinging to the fork"

for some of us, delivery/takeout is as gourmet as it gets [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

i'm waiting for my groundbreaking wednesday lunch to arrive:

chicken fingers w/ bbq sauce
fries
turkey sub
macaroni salad
bag of chips
mountain dew

if only they delivered cigarettes and toilet paper, i'd never leave the office

PokerHatesMe 11-14-2007 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1 minute to open the can and pour the chili into a pot, 14 minutes to heat to serving temperature . pretty simple, really.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF r u making a bonfire with some tree bark or something

oddjob 11-14-2007 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most of my meals are takeout/store bought.

Young bachelor + no cooking ability + lazy ass + too much money

[/ QUOTE ]

well i'm no longer young (33) and i don't have too much money, but i've found if i want to eat well at home (tastes good, not healthy, but this is probably applicable as well), i end up spending as much or more if i just ate out or got takeout, and it takes a while.

i suck at cooking and unless i make some prepackaged crap, it takes a while, and gets pricey, and i usually don't even enjoy what i end up making.

oddjob 11-14-2007 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1 minute to open the can and pour the chili into a pot, 14 minutes to heat to serving temperature. pretty simple, really.

[/ QUOTE ]

this doesn't sound like something i'd want to eat.

tuq 11-14-2007 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Multi-tabling POG? Plz post your graph.

traz 11-14-2007 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Multi-tabling POG? Plz post your graph.

[/ QUOTE ]

this title ain't just for show you know

traz 11-14-2007 12:51 PM

also, the food I buy is more delicious than anything I could make myself

JackInDaCrak 11-14-2007 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're fast in the kitchen you can get a pot of chili going in 15 minutes.

Chop onion garlic celery etc, cook beef, drain beef, cook vegetables, add beer and beans and beef, and spices.

That should take you about 15 minutes if you know what you're doing. The let it sit on low for 2 hours. Good to go.

Yads 11-14-2007 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. Even funnier is no one is getting the joke.

mbillie1 11-14-2007 12:53 PM

14 minutes to heat chili LOL, like i'm the dalai f'in lama, i microwave that sh*t

Yeti 11-14-2007 12:55 PM

cooking is cool, and fun, but i don't really buy all this 'with just a few days practice you can make better dishes than your local takeaway'. narr.

solids 11-14-2007 12:59 PM

I love cooking, yet I still order food almost all the time. This is likely due to laziness and getting home too late from work. I often get back to my apartment around 7, and I typically don't like waiting 30-60 minutes before I can eat. I suppose I could microwave some stuff, but those precooked meals typically taste like [censored].

scotchnrocks 11-14-2007 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The quality of food you can cook is way better than buying take away but there is a bit of a learning curve involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

This just isn't true in my experience unless you are comparing to McD's or similar.

No way I can make a better sub than Jersey Mike's for less money, I've tried many times, using fresh sliced deli meats, etc. and it just flat out doesn't taste as good and costs the same except now I have to eat 4 roast beef and provolone sandwiches in a week so the ingredients don't go bad.

Same with stopping into Moe's or Willie's and picking up a burrito for $6 that is absolutely delicious. There is no way I can make an equivalent burrito for that cheap.

mbillie1 11-14-2007 01:10 PM

googling frozen dinners is hard apparently... but there's this frozen dinner, a sweet and sour chicken stir-fry, in a bag, all the stuff included, you just put olive oil in a frying, put ingrediants in pan, cook until they look ready to eat, and then eat them. i forget the brand name. it's absolutely fantastic though, but it's still like $6 for one of them, and i can eat most of it myself in one sitting despite the fact that it purports to "feed 2"

for $6 i can just go get a sweet&sour chicken combo from a chinese place or a giant 1.5 foot sub... each of which takes less time/effort/cleanup...

bxb 11-14-2007 07:33 PM

I never cooked into i got a rice cooker. It is basically the greatest cooking instrument since the microwave. Just put stuff in it and come back when you are hungry.

SoloAJ 11-14-2007 07:47 PM

mbillie,

Bertolli?

I like cooking a lot. I try to cook something every night even if it's just cooking some chicken and veggies or whatever. I definitely can attest to the fact that it can actually be more expensive to cook than to get takeout though. I've had some $15 meals for myself because of the crap I had to buy from the recipe.

I thoroughly enjoy cooking...but I also thoroughly enjoy eating out. The fact I don't have much money is why I cook at home most of the time. If I had money I'd spend like $20 a day eating out, haha.

Henry17 11-14-2007 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The quality of food you can cook is way better than buying take away

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree. My take out is usually limited to chicken or chicken wings. There is no way I could make either of those better at home.

I have a very odd diet so at least of basically steak, chicken or Italian. There is no way I'm going to make steak at home that is better then from a steak house. Same goes for Italian.

I don't eat at chains. I don't eat fast food. Once you exclude those the quality of food bought prepared by others is always going to be better than anything someone can make at home.

Also when you factor in time for cooking you need to add in the time wasted at the grocery store and the time wasted cleaning up.

Christophers 11-14-2007 08:03 PM

Jesus, I feel unhealthy if I eat takeout more than once a week. WTF every meal?

Henry17 11-14-2007 09:41 PM

I'd say take out 2-4 times a week. Pub food 2-4 times a week and the rest of the time I'll go out to eat. I live right downtown so plenty of restaurants.

The pub food is the only stuff I think is unhealthy. The wine also probably doesn't help. But food I don't see how if I made a steak at home it would be any healthier for me than a steak from Hy's

Nielsio 11-14-2007 10:09 PM

Microwave meals ftw. Seriously. Here in Holland the supermarkets have like 20 kinds. They are reasonably healthy and taste fine.

Keyser. 11-14-2007 10:12 PM

I moved into my new apartment 6 months ago and I've yet to open the oven. I used the stove once went I bought a can of soup.

En Passant 11-14-2007 10:30 PM

campusfood = the nuts

SmokeyRidesAgain 11-14-2007 10:47 PM

[censored] eating out, buy a wok and season that beast until it's rusty. If it still doesn't taste as good, buy some msg and add more grease.

thirddan 11-14-2007 10:50 PM

how much does the average day cost in food alone for you take out guys?

rowdyclassmate 11-14-2007 11:00 PM

Obviously making your own food is 1) cheaper and 2) better for you, but it's also time-consuming. Last night, I cooked spaghetti and some chicken breasts. Then some broccoli and the pasta... it took a good 45 minutes. Made grecian chicken out of some of the breasts and have enough food for a week.

rowdyclassmate 11-14-2007 11:03 PM

As for the average day cost for take-out, when I go out for lunch - it averages about $10. Guessing here, but I'd estimate 3 meals out a day would be $25 - $30.

dlk9s 11-15-2007 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Same with stopping into Moe's or Willie's and picking up a burrito for $6 that is absolutely delicious. There is no way I can make an equivalent burrito for that cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I loves me some Willy's or Moe's, you can make the exact same burrito for REALLY cheap. Do you not realize how inexpensive a spoonfull of beans, rice, and chicken, plus a little bit of lettuce, tomato, and seasonings are?

I do love Willy's, though.

tuq 11-15-2007 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
While I loves me some Willy's or Moe's, you can make the exact same burrito for REALLY cheap. Do you not realize how inexpensive a spoonfull of beans, rice, and chicken, plus a little bit of lettuce, tomato, and seasonings are?

[/ QUOTE ]
True, but unfortunately the Safeway across the way from me doesn't sell these things in spoonfuls. So after spending $10+ on beans, rice, chicken, lettuce, tomato and seasonsings, I am under the gun to eat many spoonfuls in a short period of time in order to get ROI. And that would get old fast. So instead I should just go to Willy's and not have to deal with any of this.

nuggetz87 11-15-2007 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
campusfood = the nuts

[/ QUOTE ]

even though i still cook/make most of my meals.

TheNoodleMan 11-15-2007 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how much does the average day cost in food alone for you take out guys?

[/ QUOTE ]
I probably spend about $20.

I eat out almost always, I don't cook anything at home other than prepackaged stuff. I live alone and its just not worth the hassle of cooking for one.

dlk9s 11-15-2007 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
True, but unfortunately the Safeway across the way from me doesn't sell these things in spoonfuls. So after spending $10+ on beans, rice, chicken, lettuce, tomato and seasonsings, I am under the gun to eat many spoonfuls in a short period of time in order to get ROI. And that would get old fast. So instead I should just go to Willy's and not have to deal with any of this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tup,

Refrigerator, spice rack, and a little creativity FTW.

But I do still love me some Willy's!