Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   KK vs cold-calling TAG (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=545427)

Wolfram 11-13-2007 06:51 PM

KK vs cold-calling TAG

Villain is 20/18-ish. The only time we've tangled before, he cold-called my late pos. TT open with AA from the blinds. Check/calls a 9-7-7 flop, then donks a 6 turn.

Poker Stars, $0.50/$1 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LeggoPoker Hand History Converter

MP: $51
Hero (CO): $244.85
BTN: $237.10
SB: $59
BB: $121.10
UTG: $61.40

Pre-Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (CO)
2 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $4</font>, BTN calls $4, SB calls $3.50, BB folds

Flop: ($13) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $8</font>, <font color="red">BTN raises to $30</font>, SB folds, Hero calls $22

Turn: ($73) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $40</font>, Hero calls $40

River: ($153) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $99</font>, Hero hates life.

TJ Eckleburg12 11-13-2007 06:54 PM

Re: KK vs cold-calling TAG

Absolutely have to 3-bet the flop, I think. We get raised by one queen a TON here.

cs3 11-13-2007 06:56 PM

river is a fold and dont worry much about it. this is never a bluff and hardly anyone ever plays AQ/KQ this strong and fires that bet on the river.

but i dont really like your line at all.
i usually 3 bet the flop, but calling is ok i guess.
as played, i prefer b/f turn for like 46 way more than c/c. if i check, its becasue im planning to ch/r

Wolfram 11-13-2007 06:57 PM

Plz note that we're 240bb's deep.

Casper05 11-13-2007 06:57 PM

snapcall

The 8 is a great card

TheDivineRod 11-13-2007 06:57 PM

check raise all in on turn unless he's a nit who would only do this with a set.

(nm I didn't notice the deepness)

cs3 11-13-2007 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
snapcall

The 8 is a great card

[/ QUOTE ]
what, how? you think he had like Q5? i dont get it...

Wolfram 11-13-2007 07:00 PM

cs3,
why is c/c such a bad line on the turn? Because we miss value from Queens? I don't think he's calling 2 streets of value with AQ if we donk turn and bet river.

Or is it because you don't want to give a free card to a draw?

I'm assuming you're b/f-ing the turn then?

Wolfram 11-13-2007 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
snapcall

The 8 is a great card

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The 8 increases our equity because it removes some combos of 2-pair and sets.

TheDivineRod 11-13-2007 07:04 PM

like 90% of players are probably stacking off here with AQ

Casper05 11-13-2007 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
snapcall

The 8 is a great card

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]huh? he never has 2pr here. Its either a set, a Q, or 67...maybe 89/9T type hands sometimes.

Wolfram 11-13-2007 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
snapcall

The 8 is a great card

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]huh? he never has 2pr here. Its either a set, a Q, or 67...maybe 89/9T type hands sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]
Still, it increases our equity from about 44% to about 47% if his range is only sets, big pairs or AQ. Not a big difference but it helps.

ikestoys 11-13-2007 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain is 20/18-ish. The only time we've tangled before, he cold-called my late pos. TT open with AA from the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

wait, so he flatted AA OOP? and he's 20/18?? If he can show up with AA or QQ here I'd fold, but if he's repopping like he should, he has 55 or nothing and I call.

ikestoys 11-13-2007 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
snapcall

The 8 is a great card

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

cuts down the number of 88s obv

cs3 11-13-2007 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
snapcall

The 8 is a great card

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
exaclty my point... so how is that 8 so awesome for us? and jsut becaue it reduces the combos of 88 from 3 to 1, isnt a good reason to jsutify calling instaed of folding. (and im not saying calling is necessarily bad, just that combos of 88 arent a a good reason to sway one way or the other)

anyway, especally given history about villains cold calling tendencies PF, i think folding the river is fine, becasue what worse hand can villain expecet HERO to have, that he can get any value out of whatsoever on the river?

name one hand in heros range that pays off vs AQ

stickdude 11-13-2007 07:12 PM

This just doesn't feel like a set for some reason -

- A set will want to get it all in by the river (especially this deep) - he has barely over one PSB left on the river ($163 behind in a $153 pot), so why isn't he shoving the river?

- He has position and a fairly dry flop - why not wait until you fire a second barrel on the turn before raising - he can make a bigger raise and you'll be much more committed at that point.

I think I'd look him up and expect to see AQ here a decent percentage of the time.

SamuraiJon 11-13-2007 07:12 PM

I really don't see someone over 200BB+ deep firing this hard with out a really big hand. AQ is a possibility but I sincerely doubt he's betting it this confident that he is a winner with these stacks.

Wolfram 11-13-2007 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so how is that 8 so awesome for us?

[/ QUOTE ]
I never said it was awesome, but it does help:

Text results appended to pokerstove.txt

28 games 0.005 secs 5,600 games/sec

Board: Qd 8s 5h 7s 2d
Dead:

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 44.643% 42.86% 01.79% 12 0.50 { KdKs }
Hand 1: 55.357% 53.57% 01.79% 15 0.50 { QQ+, 88, 55, AQs, AQo }

---

26 games 0.005 secs 5,200 games/sec

Board: Qd 8s 5h 7s 8d
Dead:

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 48.077% 46.15% 01.92% 12 0.50 { KdKs }
Hand 1: 51.923% 50.00% 01.92% 13 0.50 { QQ+, 88, 55, AQs, AQo }

---

bilbo-san 11-13-2007 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
snapcall

The 8 is a great card

[/ QUOTE ]

cs3 11-13-2007 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
cs3,
why is c/c such a bad line on the turn? Because we miss value from Queens? I don't think he's calling 2 streets of value with AQ if we donk turn and bet river.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont like your line becaue because he rarely if ever fires both turn and river with a AQ, but will almost always call both streets with AQ.
and yes, i think b/f &gt; ch/r &gt; c/c given how the hand has been played up to this point

stickdude 11-13-2007 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't see someone over 200BB+ deep firing this hard with out a really big hand. AQ is a possibility but I sincerely doubt he's betting it this confident that he is a winner with these stacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't necessarily disagree - the problem is that he's betting this harder than I'd expect TPTK to bet, but not as hard as I'd expect a set to bet.

bilbo-san 11-13-2007 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
cs3,

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont like your line becaue because he rarely if ever fires both turn and river with a AQ, but will almost always call both streets with AQ.
and yes, i think b/f &gt; ch/r &gt; c/c given how the hand has been played up to this point

[/ QUOTE ]

I think b/f the turn is absolutely TERRIBLE vs. a 20/18.

Either:

1) He puts you on an absolute monster for calling the flop and donking the turn and folds

or

2) He thinks your line is really [censored] fishie and it looks like you are b/fing so he raises (particularly with all his non-Q semi-bluff hands that you still beat).

Neither result is very hot for you.

Wolfram 11-13-2007 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

- He has position and a fairly dry flop - why not wait until you fire a second barrel on the turn before raising - he can make a bigger raise and you'll be much more committed at that point.

[/ QUOTE ]
If he wants to go all in he needs to start building the pot.

ikestoys 11-13-2007 07:22 PM

wait, so he flatted AA OOP? and he's 20/18?? If he can show up with AA or QQ here I'd fold, but if he's repopping like he should, he has 55 or nothing and I call.

reposting b/c ppl have missed this

SamuraiJon 11-13-2007 07:22 PM

exactly stickdude. I immediatley thought top two or way more likely in his hand range... a set.

stickdude 11-13-2007 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If he wants to go all in he needs to start building the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

but then he doesn't go all in after he's built this big pot... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

cs3 11-13-2007 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no i saw it, and im not sure why he can have AA here (AA adn QQ are both obv possibilities) but not be capable of calling PF in pos 200 bb's deep with some marginal hands too... like Q8s, 58s etc
and you guys think he pretty much never has Q8s, 58s, 78s, or 46s right?

bilbo-san 11-13-2007 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't miss this, sorry. I thought this was an obvious call and that you are saying basically the same thing Casper said (with more words) [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

cs3 11-13-2007 07:28 PM

bilbo-san,

villain HAS coldcalled OOP with AA in the past, so QQ+ def are in this guys range. reread the OP

SamuraiJon 11-13-2007 07:36 PM

I really don't see the snapcall here. Villain is obviously reading that hero can beat the Q by calling 1 massive raise and 1 moderate turn bet. He isn't risking his 200BB+ stack on a possible tie.

Casper05 11-13-2007 07:52 PM

[censored], AA being in his range doesnt really change things for me...because if he's played AA like a donkey before, he's more than capable of playing JJ like one now.

matt85 11-13-2007 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This just doesn't feel like a set for some reason -

- A set will want to get it all in by the river (especially this deep) - he has barely over one PSB left on the river ($163 behind in a $153 pot), so why isn't he shoving the river?

I think I'd look him up and expect to see AQ here a decent percentage of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much my thoughts exactly, especially given how passively you have played your KK here. AQ must be a huge part of his range.

Daddy Warbucks 11-13-2007 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[censored], AA being in his range doesnt really change things for me...because if he's played AA like a donkey before, he's more than capable of playing JJ like one now.

[/ QUOTE ]

What?

Unknown Soldier 11-13-2007 07:58 PM

like 300000 posts and noones asked about sb yet?

cs3 11-13-2007 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if he's played AA like a donkey before, he's more than capable of playing JJ like one now.

[/ QUOTE ]
c'mon, you can't be serious?

Casper05 11-13-2007 08:07 PM

haha, ok not JJ...but yes I am serious when I say that just bc AA is now in his range doesnt make it a fold...If you are going to extend his range one way because of 1 hand (that played weird anyway bc it was a blind battle) then you have to extend it at least a little the other way as well.

crunchi 11-13-2007 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
like 300000 posts and noones asked about sb yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

umm... is sb a lady-boy?

Hail Eris 11-13-2007 08:10 PM

Anyway, there's no reason to think AA is still in his range here 240BB deep and not closing the action. The circumstances of the previous hand were probably different.

Ranma4703 11-13-2007 08:25 PM

Clear fold. That turn and river bet are begging for value. I don't think he's triple barrel bluffing here, and I don't think he is value betting a worse hand when he can close the action in a massive pot. What would he do if you pushed? Obviously call, so he is willing to risk the rest of his stack to win a 99$ bet when he could just check behind, without a read that he is a complete moron this is an easy fold.

cs3 11-13-2007 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

name one hand in heros range that pays off vs AQ

[/ QUOTE ]

also nobody has even attempted to answer this question...