Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Health and Fitness (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Healthy frozen dinners (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=543418)

LightsOut 11-11-2007 05:00 AM

Healthy frozen dinners

I eat terribly now and my plan is to eat nothing but lean cuisines while I am on a cardio diet. Not gonna lift much b/c my overall goal is to just lose weight. Is this bad? What frozen dinners can u recommend that are healthy / don't taste like [censored].

I don't want to start making my own meals b/c it takes too much time and i'm a busy man, so plz don't give me those "Just buy real food and make it urself" responses. Thanks

Rootabager 11-11-2007 05:40 AM

Re: Healthy frozen dinners

I think the best ones are the south beach diet ones.

They all taste pretty good.

There is alot of dif flavors.

They are better than all the other ones(healthy choice, lean cuisine, etc)

Frozen chicken breast are pretty decent. I think the best tasting ones are from Sam's.

kyleb 11-11-2007 08:35 AM

south beach diet and lean cuisines are decent enough in a pinch.

XXXNoahXXX 11-11-2007 04:11 PM

Ones that taste ok:

Lean Cuisine Orange Chicken and Rice
LC Sante Fe Rice and Beans
LC Mac and Cheese
LC Chicken Fett Alfredo

SB Pizza is OK, only like 250 cals and 31g of protein

Go to Trader joes and get the Spicy Kung Pao chicken bowls.

Jeff W 11-11-2007 05:01 PM

I'd look into meal delivery service in your area.

ottsville 11-11-2007 06:37 PM

buy fresh vegetables and fruit...eat as much as you want raw. That's even faster than frozen meals for the busy man. Use some frozen meals for your protein/variety.

smallworld00 11-12-2007 04:11 AM

vegetables and fruit are always the best food we should choose, healthy

JackInDaCrak 11-12-2007 12:37 PM

http://ninecooks.typepad.com/photos/...kenbreasts.jpg

+

http://www.dvo.com/Products/george-foreman-grill.jpg

Wolfram 11-12-2007 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
buy fresh vegetables and fruit...eat as much as you want raw. That's even faster than frozen meals for the busy man. Use some frozen meals for your protein/variety.

[/ QUOTE ]
Getting 3k+ calories and 250g+ of protein is extremely hard without 2 dead-animal meals a day.

istewart 11-12-2007 01:26 PM

Kosher chicken breasts are the first step on the road to bustoing your ATM account. What a [censored] ripoff.

Thremp 11-12-2007 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Kosher chicken breasts are the first step on the road to bustoing your ATM account. What a [censored] ripoff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm waiting until I can coerce my friends to go halves with me or until I get a deep freeze then... Side of beef time.

goodguy_1 11-12-2007 06:06 PM

hey guys ask your mom how to teach you to make beef stew.

It is very easy,fast and nutritious . Buy lean relatively cheap cuts of beef mix in tons of veggies and lots of seasonings. You cut up the beef and put in a bag of flour for coating then braise the beef in olive oil -then add in all the other goodies and beef stock..You can use a pressure cooker or crockpot.

I use a pressure cooker. If you use a pressure cooker it will take maybe 45 minutes top ..15 minutes to cut everything up ie celery, carrotts ,peas, onions, parsnips, sweet pototoes whatever and 30 minutes to cook it -pressure cookers are awesome. When I do it I cook enough for ~3-4 large meals and it freezes well.

better than any tv dinner takes about 10-15 minutes per serving to make. Even the healthy tv dinners taste nasty.

cbloom 11-12-2007 06:06 PM

Seriously, clean bulking is hella expensive.

Thremp 11-12-2007 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF?

cbloom 11-12-2007 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF?

[/ QUOTE ]

"Kosher chicken breasts are the first step on the road to bustoing your ATM account. What a [censored] ripoff. "

Thremp 11-12-2007 07:35 PM

Lame. Food b cheap. Just change your tastes. I'm sure I could gain like 97% of the nutritional value of what I eat for like <50% of the cost.

theblackkeys 11-12-2007 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What's the price difference between kosher and not kosher?

Parallax 11-12-2007 08:30 PM

Healthy Choice has some new "steamers" dishes that are actually pretty good and low in sodium and fat. Boston Market has frozen dinners now as well. The only healthy one I've seen is the turkey and cranberry one though, all the others have an insane amount of sodium and are a little heavy on the calories.

Wolfram 11-12-2007 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lame. Food b cheap. Just change your tastes. I'm sure I could gain like 97% of the nutritional value of what I eat for like <50% of the cost.

[/ QUOTE ]
God I wish I lived in the US where food is actually cheap. You would have a heart attack if you saw my grocery bill.

kyleb 11-12-2007 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
God I wish I lived in the US where food is actually cheap. You would have a heart attack if you saw my grocery bill.

[/ QUOTE ]

Loc: Reykjavik

I can only imagine.

Thremp 11-13-2007 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh. Not as much as I would over your tax bill.

cbloom 11-13-2007 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Meh. Not as much as I would over your tax bill.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually from what I can tell Icelandic tax law is much simpler and more fair than US taxes, and in many cases far lower. The Corporate tax rate is only 18%, and tax on interest income is only 10%. The total personal income tax is lower than what I pay as a California resident.

Also just about every poker player in the world pays way less taxes than we do. I'm paying around 50% taxes.

Wolfram 11-13-2007 05:32 AM

cbloom,

you are seriously well informed. We have a 35.72% income tax and you get a "personal discount" of that which is about $550. I work in IT and make about an average salary for that field and my total effective income tax last month was 32%.

But that's not the whole story. The real tax is the 24.5% VAT which is on almost any consumer product. Also, the fact that we're a very small economy dominated by large companies that have a virtual monopoly on the market. E.g. about 90% of grocery stores in iceland are controlled by 2 corporations and they are suspected of using price control.

Fun fact: A single big mac (not a meal) is about $8, depending on how much the dollar has fallen that day.

PLOlover 11-13-2007 05:17 PM

arent' all the frozen thingees loaded with MSG?

JackInDaCrak 11-13-2007 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't realize the image i posted was for kosher breasts - What about non-kosher ones, are they available? I imagine that the ones at Cosco are fairly reasonable in terms of price/lb.

kyleb 11-13-2007 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
cbloom,

you are seriously well informed. We have a 35.72% income tax and you get a "personal discount" of that which is about $550. I work in IT and make about an average salary for that field and my total effective income tax last month was 32%.

But that's not the whole story. The real tax is the 24.5% VAT which is on almost any consumer product. Also, the fact that we're a very small economy dominated by large companies that have a virtual monopoly on the market. E.g. about 90% of grocery stores in iceland are controlled by 2 corporations and they are suspected of using price control.

Fun fact: A single big mac (not a meal) is about $8, depending on how much the dollar has fallen that day.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol taxaments

god that is sick

ottsville 11-15-2007 09:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Getting 3k+ calories and 250g+ of protein is extremely hard without 2 dead-animal meals a day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry...missed where OP said he needed 3k cals/day

PITTM 11-20-2007 12:51 AM

paying mexicans for tacos is the efficient way to eat imo.

rivermetimbers 11-20-2007 12:59 AM

I actually eat lots of the LC meals, mainly bc im a student though and dont know how to/ refuse to cook, ldo. just be careful tho bc those things are full of salt, which obviously isnt great for ur health

ezflop212 11-29-2007 12:48 AM

Weight Watcher makes these chicken tacos that are really good. They taste as good as something you might get at Taco Bell.