Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   About the Forums (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   OOT WGA Threads (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=543015)

.Alex. 11-10-2007 04:38 PM

OOT WGA Threads

I started a thread a few days ago about the writer's strike because there's a lot of TV fans in OOT and this is obviously a big issue right now. Yeti promptly locked it saying there was already a thread in the lounge about it. I disagreed with his decision so I PMed him to discuss it. My argument was that the entire purpose of the four different communities was that the same topic can be posted in multiple forums depending on the type of responses requested and that it seems silly to restrict such a big event to a forum that is only a small percentage of the off-topic community. Yeti responded by implying that the decision would stand, and he didn't care to debate it further. I PMed NT but that didn't get very far either. I considered posting here, but decided that it wasn't that big of a deal and just dropped it.

So what do I see today? Another thread about the strike in which Yeti himself made a contribution! I realize that this OP had much more content and was more thoughtout, which could be a valid point except:
1) This was not the stated reason for locking the thread.
2) The whole point was that I didn't know much about the situation and was hoping to get a clearer picture from the OOT posters.

Look, I'm not trying to be annoying or a dick, but it's frustrating to see the constant hypocrisy and lack of communication among the OOT mods. It sucks that I now have to wonder whether my previous complaints about NT had anything to do with this decision. I just wish that they at least tried to consider anyone's arguments aside from their small group of friends around here.

Troll_Inc 11-10-2007 05:02 PM

Re: OOT WGA Threads

[ QUOTE ]

So what do I see today? Another thread about the strike in which Yeti himself made a contribution! I realize that this OP had much more content and was more thoughtout, which could be a valid point except:

[/ QUOTE ]

Sue for plagarism obv.

ElliotR 11-10-2007 05:05 PM

Organize a post-writer's union.

tuq 11-10-2007 05:22 PM

Alex,

Did you forget to label it the ****************OFFICIAL SCREEEN WRITERS GUILD TO THE SUPER BOWL THREAD****************? That's probably why it got dissed.

Claunchy 11-10-2007 05:24 PM

I didn't see your original thread, but if it did actually get locked just because there was already a thread in the Lounge, that is a dumb reason. No one [censored] reads the Lounge (sorry tuq).

.Alex. 11-10-2007 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Alex,

Did you forget to label it the ****************OFFICIAL SCREEEN WRITERS GUILD TO THE SUPER BOWL THREAD****************? That's probably why it got dissed.

[/ QUOTE ]
The far bigger problem is guys like this who don't even put the same number of asterisks on each side. That really pisses me off, and I'm impressed that you avoided doing that.

tuq 11-10-2007 08:30 PM

Claunchy, that hurts mang.

Alex, copy/paste FTW.

stabn 11-10-2007 09:09 PM

cry more nub.

NT! 11-10-2007 09:20 PM

maybe you should go on strike or something

Bulletproof Monk 11-10-2007 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
maybe you should go on strike or something

[/ QUOTE ]

lol beat me to it

CallMeIshmael 11-10-2007 11:39 PM

all joking aside, this is a pretty reasonable complaint

Pudge714 11-10-2007 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
all joking aside, this is a pretty reasonable complaint

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT this is one of the few good OPs in ATF's history.

Yeti 11-10-2007 11:57 PM

haha

NT, vn.

alex, your thread was more of a 'hey i just heard about this strike? anyone got any info?', and i pointed you to a very informative thread in the lounge.

in the last few days i realised the strike might be a bigger deal than i initially thought. today's thread was well-written and informative. i let it stay.

i'm pretty drunk right now. but yeah, that's basically it.

AquaSwing 11-11-2007 12:15 AM

Yeti for mod

Because we're both drunk.

Butcho22 11-11-2007 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
in the last few days i realised the strike might be a bigger deal than i initially thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

its_just_me 11-11-2007 01:33 AM

actually you guys are all strike breakers for writing posts.

Assani Fisher 11-11-2007 03:30 AM

OOT mods are the worst on the forum. Just go post in the other similar off topic forums here at 2p2.

100,214.45 and coutning

.Alex. 11-11-2007 04:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

alex, your thread was more of a 'hey i just heard about this strike? anyone got any info?', and i pointed you to a very informative thread in the lounge.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, if I had all of the information, why would I need to start a thread? I am not sure where the disconnect is, but I would think that one of the main purposes for starting threads is to learn about a subject that you are interested in but don't know a lot about. I tried my best to ask a couple of leading questions and provided a link describing the basics.

[ QUOTE ]
in the last few days i realised the strike might be a bigger deal than i initially thought.

[/ QUOTE ]
So you ignored the several times I stated in our PM exchange that this was a major event, which was the crux of my argument. That's exactly my point.

[ QUOTE ]
i'm pretty drunk right now. but yeah, that's basically it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm just looking for an explanation that someone is willing to stand behind instead of trying to wiggle out of a discussion with excuses.

its_just_me 11-11-2007 04:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OOT mods are the worst on the forum. Just go post in the other similar off topic forums here at 2p2.

100,214.45 and coutning

[/ QUOTE ]
i kinda like your custom title imo

NT! 11-11-2007 04:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Well, if I had all of the information, why would I need to start a thread? I am not sure where the disconnect is, but I would think that one of the main purposes for starting threads is to learn about a subject that you are interested in but don't know a lot about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you should familiarize yourself with the OOT rules before you make any more complaints.

Yeti's reasoning is absolutely fine here, and what's more, even if it hadn't been, it's. not. a. big. deal. If you don't like it post in a different forum.

LOL at making this about OOT mods not liking you. It's about you starting a thread that you put no effort into, and someone else restarting the thread with some modicum of research / effort. "It sucks that I have to wonder about whether OOT mods not liking me is part of this." Boo [censored] hoo, LOL. Your thread got locked, it's not like someone ran over your puppy.

.Alex. 11-11-2007 05:14 AM

Dude, I realize it's not a big deal, and I'm not crying about it. This is the [censored] problem; anytime someone makes a complaint, you guys belittle it and attack the OP for "taking the internet too seriously" instead of actually defending your actions. Look at my post above you! I'm just trying to make the forum better, no [censored] it's not going to be a life changing thing.

NT! 11-11-2007 05:20 AM

So just to recap:

You make a thread asking for info on a current event. The thread doesn't follow OOT rules (which you clearly didn't read or don't understand).

Yeti directs you to a place where you can get the information you requested.

You come here to complain about Yeti.

Is this how you usually treat people who do you favors?

You're trying to make the forum better? Oh really? By not reading the rules, complaining when people answer your questions, and then ignoring perfectly reasonable explanations? Thanks for your efforts, you're doing a fantastic job. Yeah, no [censored] we are going to belittle you, because you're making inane complaints and you have no insight into your own actions. And your avatar sucks.

NT! 11-11-2007 05:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you guys belittle it and attack the OP for "taking the internet too seriously" instead of actually defending your actions.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

in the last few days i realised the strike might be a bigger deal than i initially thought. today's thread was well-written and informative. i let it stay.

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like a reasonable defense to me

Yeti 11-11-2007 08:40 AM

heh, how was i trying to wiggle out of it? i basically admitted i may have made a mistake.

btw, i misspoke, i knew quite a lot about the strike, but thought the deadline was this sunday, not last sunday. from what i had read i somewhat anticipated a last minute settlement and that it would all blow over. i was wrong.

oh and do you have any idea how tired the mods get of PM exchanges over pretty insignificant things? and i believe my exact words at the time were 'i'm going to bed now but bring it up with NT if you like'. hardly unreasonable.

but yeah, at the end of the day, DOES THIS REALLY MATTER?

Yeti 11-11-2007 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Look, I'm not trying to be annoying or a dick, but it's frustrating to see the constant hypocrisy and lack of communication among the OOT mods. It sucks that I now have to wonder whether my previous complaints about NT had anything to do with this decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha yeah i can assure you they didn't, i have absolutely no idea who you are to be honest.

.Alex. 11-11-2007 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So just to recap:

You make a thread asking for info on a current event. The thread doesn't follow OOT rules (which you clearly didn't read or don't understand).

Yeti directs you to a place where you can get the information you requested.

You come here to complain about Yeti.

Is this how you usually treat people who do you favors?

[/ QUOTE ]
I mean, sure, if you want to spin it that way, that's fine, but to me it looks more like this:

I start a thread about a major pop-culture situation that is likely to be interesting and informative to me and a lot of posters.

It gets locked.

I civilly and rationally try to understand what I did wrong and/or explain why I thought the thread should have stayed.

It takes me PMs to two different mods and an ATF thread littered with sarcasm and patronization before someone admits that it could have possibly been a mistake.

[ QUOTE ]
oh and do you have any idea how tired the mods get of PM exchanges over pretty insignificant things? and i believe my exact words at the time were 'i'm going to bed now but bring it up with NT if you like'. hardly unreasonable.

but yeah, at the end of the day, DOES THIS REALLY MATTER?

[/ QUOTE ]
THIS situation doesn't really matter, but it's the overall way of running things that gets to me. Almost every time someone complains in here, the first response is that they should have PMed a mod first because it's easier to deal with things in private and mods are reasonable and will resolve your issue. NT assured me in this forum a few weeks ago that I was mistaken in belief that there was a communication problem between mods and posters, and that mods do take the time to send and respond to PMs.

What you said wasn't unreasonable, but wouldn't it have been better if instead you said, "i'm going to bed now, but I'll consider what your point and reply tomorrow"? I'm sure you get plenty of dumb protests, but I thought my argument was at least valid enough to deserve a fair response. Like, I still don't know if the problem was that my post wasn't long enough or that there was already an existing thread. Again though, I didn't even bring it up again until I saw the other thread and thought "huh?"

Butcho22 11-11-2007 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
DOES THIS REALLY MATTER?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

NT! 11-11-2007 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Like, I still don't know if the problem was that my post wasn't long enough or that there was already an existing thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

so in other words, no amount of explanation will help, and we are wasting our time talking to you.

traz 11-11-2007 05:38 PM

The way mod complaints are dealt with in this forum is really bad. If someone feels like they've been treated unfairly, there's no avenue for them to try and talk things out, because the mods for the most part are total douchebags about admitting they might have been wrong.

It's just the way things are. You just have to accept that by and large this is a dictatorship and you're not necessarily entitled to fair treatment. 2p2 has constantly shown that to be the case.

Georgia Avenue 11-11-2007 05:53 PM

.Alex. is pretty much owning this thread.

I guess if OOT mods apologize and admit they made a mistake the internet blows up.

C'est l'oot.

Yeti 11-11-2007 06:09 PM

i'm pretty sure i have been more than fair here, and that no ownage has taken place.

NT! 11-11-2007 06:25 PM

link to the thread that got locked.

This thread has no content and no effort by the OP. It contains a link and a question. This was courteously explained by Yeti in his first post in this thread. That should have ended the discussion, but it didn't, because some people will never be satisfied with a polite and sensible response to their inane complaints. They need things spelled out to them repeatedly, and if everything isn't letter perfect, they will continue to piss and moan about it until people stop bothering to respond. That's what OP did here, posting responses that contained a number of questions (such as "why can't i start a thread to find out more? what's so wrong with that?") that are addressed in the OOT rules and more or less weekly on this forum when someone starts a thread like this.

OP is pissing and moaning because he doesn't get to have his own thread about the WGA strike. Not only did he get help with his question (WHICH WAS THE STATED PURPOSE OF HIS POST AND WHICH WAS REPEATED IN THIS THREAD AS WELL), he also got his wish of seeing a post about it in OOT, because someone else actually bothered to follow the OOT sticky and make a post about it that was appropriate for the forum. On top of that, he got a timely and courteous response to his complaint from the mod who locked his thread.

But to some people, this = a horrible injustice. Go on a hunger strike or something.

[Phill] 11-11-2007 06:30 PM

I think Yeti has come across really well and is the closest to being the person to "own" the thread.

NT as usual used his own style of attack the messenger. Stabn came in as a premptive warm up, acting as advanced scout to NT. I strongly suspect they are the same person, someone do an IP check! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I think the funny thing here is NT basically saying Yeti did nothing wrong and Yeti admitted he probably did - though his reasoning seems sound enough imo, its all about what was in the OP.

NT! 11-11-2007 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think the funny thing here is NT basically saying Yeti did nothing wrong and Yeti admitted he probably did - though his reasoning seems sound enough imo, its all about what was in the OP.

[/ QUOTE ]

it sounds to me like yeti is saying he could possibly have explained it better to the OP, but of course the OP could have pre-empted that necessity by simply reading the rules.

the lock itself is without a doubt completely standard for OOT.

2/325Falcon 11-11-2007 06:43 PM

The Lounge version of the WGA thread is doing the pwning here.

.Alex. 11-11-2007 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Like, I still don't know if the problem was that my post wasn't long enough or that there was already an existing thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

so in other words, no amount of explanation will help, and we are wasting our time talking to you.

[/ QUOTE ]
The PMs from both of you gave the sole reason for the lock that there was already a separate lounge thread without mentioning the content of my post at all. In this thread that argument was abandoned, and Yeti implied (which you quoted) that the problem was lack of information. Yeti, who I agree has at least tried to give legitimate responses here, also admitted that it was likely a questionable call, while you've been adamant that the rules are clear and I'm obviously in the wrong.

Is it really that incredible that I still don't feel that I've received anything concrete? Let's get back to the question that is most important for OOT going forward. Is it appropriate to start threads on topics that currently exist in other forums? Does it matter what category it is (entertainment, current event, favorite _______ )? I was given the impression that this is usually prohibited, but apparently most posters disagree with the policy.

[ QUOTE ]
This thread has no content and no effort by the OP. It contains a link and a question. This was courteously explained by Yeti in his first post in this thread. That should have ended the discussion, but it didn't, because some people will never be satisfied with a polite and sensible response to their inane complaints. They need things spelled out to them repeatedly, and if everything isn't letter perfect, they will continue to piss and moan about it until people stop bothering to respond. That's what OP did here, posting responses that contained a number of questions (such as "why can't i start a thread to find out more? what's so wrong with that?") that are addressed in the OOT rules and more or less weekly on this forum when someone starts a thread like this.

OP is pissing and moaning because he doesn't get to have his own thread about the WGA strike. Not only did he get help with his question (WHICH WAS THE STATED PURPOSE OF HIS POST AND WHICH WAS REPEATED IN THIS THREAD AS WELL), he also got his wish of seeing a post about it in OOT, because someone else actually bothered to follow the OOT sticky and make a post about it that was appropriate for the forum. On top of that, he got a timely and courteous response to his complaint from the mod who locked his thread.

But to some people, this = a horrible injustice. Go on a hunger strike or something.

[/ QUOTE ]
NT, you I think I'm bitter because my name isn't on the front page? Come on. I just want there to be consistent guidelines for what can and cannot be posted. Again, notice how your current line of reasoning is completely different than anything said to me through PM.

CallMeIshmael 11-11-2007 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the lock itself is without a doubt completely standard for OOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I would say that, if a thread about a topic as hot as the WGA strike is going to be locked because the guy didnt put a ton of effort into the OP on account of the rules, then the rules arent great.

Obv. I dont speak for all of OOT, and the collective opinion is what matters, but we already have two OT forums with a stricter "you need to put a lot of effort into your OPs" rules, and my thoughts are more that the OP in question here is more than enough wrt to substance (especially given the topic) to be an OOT thread. Though, in all, Id like to see a lot less locking than is current SOP, so I might be off on this subject.

NT! 11-11-2007 06:54 PM

I will admit that this lock could have been explained to OP a bit better as soon as OP admits he ignored the OOT rules and wasted our time by making this thread.

CallMeIshmael 11-11-2007 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I will admit that this lock could have been explained to OP a bit better as soon as OP admits he ignored the OOT rules and wasted our time by making this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

was this in response to me?

THEOSU 11-11-2007 07:04 PM

nt,

i am far from a regular oot poster, but what you're implying here is that it is inappropriate to start a thread in OOT asking for information that does not seem to go in any other thread.

is this true?

edit: and i don't mean googletarding. but like actual substance.