Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Farha (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=542612)

genius55 11-10-2007 01:13 AM

Farha

I just watched all of season 4 and here's my impression.

1) he is a joke preflop
2) he reads hands well and plays aggro postflop
3) he plays well postflop
4) His preflop innacuracies fail to be patched by his postflop play.

I'm just a little confused as to how someone who i think is pretty good could continue to play like this?

obv i still think he is an awesome guy. honestly i't like, if he were to fold a hand preflop it seems to me he might do pretty well.

HighSteakesPr0 11-10-2007 01:15 AM

Re: Farha

yea WHERE DOES HE GET HIS MONEY?

Micro Donk 11-10-2007 01:16 AM

i guess not assuming that just because theyre on TV a lot means theyre good players is a start...

futuredoc85 11-10-2007 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i guess not assuming that just because theyre on TV a lot means theyre good players is a start...

[/ QUOTE ]

BAN!

gbporkpie 11-10-2007 01:24 AM

Because he doesn't care. He's (presumably) loaded big time and loves to gamble.

Sort of like if you just launched some NL25 tables for old times sake and just spewed money everywhere and laughed.. oh wait.

genius55 11-10-2007 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Sort of like if you just launched some NL25 tables for old times sake and just spewed money everywhere and laughed.. oh wait.

[/ QUOTE ]

i didn't get the impression that he did not care about losing the 250k pot or whatever to hellmuth with aq vs aqs ai preflop. id say he looked pretty miserable.

in fact watching him play the one thing i notice is that he does care about winning and playing well which is what i respect about him.

Dynasty 11-10-2007 01:38 AM

It's interesting how people's views on Farha have changed so radically. Today, people tend to call him a donkey because of what they've seen on High Stakes Poker.

But, after the 2003 WSOP aired and for at least a year aftewards, Farha was loved by most posters here. People thought Sammy Farha was exactly what a no-limt player should be.

futuredoc85 11-10-2007 01:41 AM

posters got better at poker?

genius55 11-10-2007 01:44 AM

I also think he ran pretty bad season 4 so that might be affecting it. He didn't connect with any flops when someone had an overpair and everyone seemed to be intent on calling him down moving in on him with like middle pair, which is not good if one plays like that..

Paul B. 11-10-2007 01:45 AM

Regardless of what you think of his game, you have to be grateful to Sammy for making poker what it is today. Same goes for Chris Moneymaker.

Pauly3511 11-10-2007 01:49 AM

Re: Farha *DELETED*

Post deleted by Dids

futuredoc85 11-10-2007 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Regardless of what you think of his game, you have to be grateful to Sammy for making poker what it is today. Same goes for Chris Moneymaker.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes absolutely i was just saying that what people here thought of him a few years ago doesn't make his pf play less horrible.

skip8118 11-10-2007 02:08 AM

When 95% of the time the money goes in postflop, I would take his horrible preflop anyday to be able to play like him. Same goes with Gus, Negraneu and Ivey.

I like him a lot, it gets boring watching people play decent hands which is probuly why HSP is a lot of fun to watch when you have these players making some nice plays with crappy cards.

1968 11-10-2007 02:17 AM

he's a reg at the high stakes black jack tables. this should be enough explanation..

sqwisssssss 11-10-2007 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I also think he ran pretty bad season 4 so that might be affecting it. He didn't connect with any flops when someone had an overpair and everyone seemed to be intent on calling him down moving in on him with like middle pair, which is not good if one plays like that..

[/ QUOTE ]

no, its just not good when they are moving in light and he doesnt have a hand.

like sammy said, he's dangerous. he'll let you get the small pots but he'll get you in the big one.

but obviously he was stuck and gambling a bit too much pre flop on hsp4. if he only connected a few hands at the right time, he could have easily been a big winner at the table.

if anyone listened carefully on season 3, sammy i believe beat the big game for like 5 million one night. sammy aint no sucker. you could hear eli and jennifer making references to licking theyre wounds from that particular night and sammy also said to eric lindgren in reference to that blood bath, "eric, let me give you some friendly advice......dont play like they did".

robracing 11-10-2007 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you people are a bunch of complete idiots, think before you type you fking retards

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for such an enlightening and well-reasoned contribution to this thread.

doodydota 11-10-2007 03:03 AM

IMHO Farha is leveling on TV. He's gonna have lots of action at the non televised live tables. Obv. he's gonna clean out the fish who think he's playing live the same as on TV.

11-10-2007 03:12 AM

Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

kuelk420 11-10-2007 03:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So yeah... Where DOES sammy get his money from ?

I found the answer...
Here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

[/ QUOTE ]
you are so bad at 2+2

Hotel Detect 11-10-2007 03:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I found the answer...
Here is the link

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, super obvious RR.. but i liked it regardless

Keyser. 11-10-2007 03:50 AM

[x] thought you were genius28

My first checkbox I think!

genius55 11-10-2007 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[x] thought you were genius28

My first checkbox I think!

[/ QUOTE ]

lol not quite

johnnyrocket 11-10-2007 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

side businesses, the casual 1/2NL player is better than him

genius55 11-10-2007 04:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

side businesses, the casual 1/2NL player is better than him

[/ QUOTE ]

i doubt the average live 1/2nl player is better than him obv online that s true.

Takeover_inc 11-10-2007 04:58 AM

I think after the 1-2k nl/plo game aba said somewhere that Farha was very good.

jcl 11-10-2007 05:08 AM

Sammy clearly didn't care at the start of season 4. People kept berrating him and Eli for being retards preflop as though they truly didn't know that K7 isn't a good hand. They obviously do and just wanna have fun for TV. If you watch the first 500K episode you can see he knows what he was doing. e.g. bet/folding the river when he had the flush (rather than check-calling or something as a lot of people might in that spot) and instant mucking a donkey straight (which was gutterballed iirc) to a raise. Standard stuff but he nevertheless knew it which is more than what most people suggested prior to that episode.

MadeHand 11-10-2007 05:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I found the answer...
Here is the link

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the arms , it's always the arms.

Marwan 11-10-2007 05:22 AM

I'm pretty sure Farha's regarded as one of the best short handed PLO players in the world (Barry G mentions this on his site so it's not just hearsay).. holdem seems to be his weaker game from what I've seen, but that's what gets played on TV.. I've only seen him on HSP and he obviously seems to spew big time PF.. As mentioned I'm fairly confident that he plays up to the camera a ton and I don't think a few eps of HSP is enough to determine his caliber of play..

Scotty_12 11-10-2007 05:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

degree of lol at this depends on the stakes that you play. However, I see that you do not post often in strategy forums. However I did see a little bit about limiting the field after a button raise to 0.3 after two 10 cent limpers from the SB with KQ

Chilltown 11-10-2007 05:42 AM

He's PLO game has never been questioned...Hellmuth even called him the best PLO player in the world on this season of HSP. I don't see how people can debate his NL game judging solely on what we've seen on HSP...he's a gambler, he's going to call with weaker hands and won't regret it. Those instincts and reads of his are world class though when he's on his game.

And yeah, I'm sure most 1/2 online players are better than him... Why don't you all get yourself a stake in The Big Game and challenge him to prove that theory.

SNOWBALL 11-10-2007 06:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ehhhh that's kinda silly
15/30 is my reg game but I will sit in 4/8 or 6/12 sometimes while waiting. Sometimes I might even sit at 3/6 if the waitlist is superlong. I don't play looser or worse at all really. The only thing I do which is bad is I don't focus too much on my opponents.

SNOWBALL 11-10-2007 06:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure Farha's regarded as one of the best short handed PLO players in the world (Barry G mentions this on his site so it's not just hearsay).. holdem seems to be his weaker game from what I've seen, but that's what gets played on TV.. I've only seen him on HSP and he obviously seems to spew big time PF.. As mentioned I'm fairly confident that he plays up to the camera a ton and I don't think a few eps of HSP is enough to determine his caliber of play..

[/ QUOTE ]

dude he called 25 THOUSAND with K7o PF vs hellmuth. That was sooooo bad

brutalBeater 11-10-2007 08:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...part=1&vc=1

Shizzle12345 11-10-2007 08:22 AM

i think becaues he plays like this he gets ALOT of tv time. Also its not that -ev, since he can use his crazy image in other games, and maybe later in HSP. Also since he normally plays bigger games and hes rich as hell.

DaddyFatStack 11-10-2007 08:26 AM

Sam Farha seems to be advertising on the first season of HSP. He players that play in his game that aren't regulars to think they have a read on him, that he is really just an aggtard who doesn't have a clue. His style that he advertises is a great way to play shorthanded PLO, loose raising in position pf, calling with questionable hands etc. He is widely regarded as the best PLO player in the world, and some people think he doesn't understand basic NL and couldn't beat 1-2 online?

Think about how much money in EV he actually lost and how many times over that will be repaid to him in high limit mixed games that are centered around PLO and O8. He will probably get paid at least 5:1 on his play on HSP and probably has made millions taking advantage. Brilliant.

zen_rounder 11-10-2007 09:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
he's a reg at the high stakes black jack tables. this should be enough explanation..

[/ QUOTE ]unless he counts, which would be a headache to disguise at the stakes he prob plays at, black jack is easier to spew money at than poker.prob just swings like mad. HSP s1 he does quite well if you remember.

Spurious 11-10-2007 09:20 AM

havent read anything of the thread
i hope someone said it before

he's probably the best SH PLO player
he plays FR NLHE like never
FR doesnt fit his aggressive play
he'd play SH NLHE pretty good i guess
he plays big bet poker, most players are not familiar with that kind of play, if that mixes up with his aggression in SH-play, it's swingy but most people will get thrown of their game

Max Raker 11-10-2007 09:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

People keep saying this. Why?

People still think it is remarkable that a non-pro won in 2003 even thought they made up 90% of the field? The poker boom was because of ESPN putting the WSOP (along with the WPT) on heavy rotation and broad band connections becoming popular. I think anybody could have won in 03 and the poker world would have been the same.

gbporkpie 11-10-2007 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ehhhh that's kinda silly
15/30 is my reg game but I will sit in 4/8 or 6/12 sometimes while waiting. Sometimes I might even sit at 3/6 if the waitlist is superlong. I don't play looser or worse at all really. The only thing I do which is bad is I don't focus too much on my opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just making a joke on OP's Loc.

Anyway it's great that you're able to play a variety of stakes and keep yourself motivated, but based on what I've seen and read you're an exception.

rocketsfan4lyfe 11-10-2007 10:17 AM

if it werent for sammy, we wouldnt be watching HSP, so give him credit for that

he has unlimited roll from his businesses, so he can play every hand if he wants