Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   The Right Brain vs Left Brain test (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=542435)

sonneti 11-09-2007 07:53 PM

The Right Brain vs Left Brain test

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...005375,00.html

The Right Brain vs Left Brain test ... do you see the dancer turning clockwise or anti-clockwise?

If clockwise, then you use more of the right side of the brain and vice versa.

Most of us would see the dancer turning anti-clockwise though you can try to focus and change the direction; see if you can do it.

LEFT BRAIN FUNCTIONS
uses logic
detail oriented
facts rule
words and language
present and past
math and science
can comprehend
knowing
acknowledges
order/pattern perception
knows object name
reality based
forms strategies
practical
safe

RIGHT BRAIN FUNCTIONS
uses feeling
"big picture" oriented
imagination rules
symbols and images
present and future
philosophy & religion
can "get it" (i.e. meaning)
believes
appreciates
spatial perception
knows object function
fantasy based
presents possibilities
impetuous
risk taking

blackize 11-09-2007 07:58 PM

Re: The Right Brain vs Left Brain test

Old news and has been debunked

http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ancer-teach-us/

Genesis 11-09-2007 08:01 PM

I see clockwise, but I know I'm more 'left-brain' oriented.

mosdef 11-09-2007 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...005375,00.html

The Right Brain vs Left Brain test ... do you see the dancer turning clockwise or anti-clockwise?

If clockwise, then you use more of the right side of the brain and vice versa.

Most of us would see the dancer turning anti-clockwise though you can try to focus and change the direction; see if you can do it.

LEFT BRAIN FUNCTIONS
uses logic
detail oriented
facts rule
words and language
present and past
math and science
can comprehend
knowing
acknowledges
order/pattern perception
knows object name
reality based
forms strategies
practical
safe

RIGHT BRAIN FUNCTIONS
uses feeling
"big picture" oriented
imagination rules
symbols and images
present and future
philosophy & religion
can "get it" (i.e. meaning)
believes
appreciates
spatial perception
knows object function
fantasy based
presents possibilities
impetuous
risk taking

[/ QUOTE ]

My brain tells me "those are nice [censored]". What does that make me, right or left?

eviljeff 11-09-2007 08:04 PM

preemptive: yes it's possible to see it spin the other way

z28dreams 11-09-2007 08:08 PM

I'm WAY more left brained, but this [censored] is spinning clockwise.

I still can't figure out how she spins the other way.

Quicksilvre 11-09-2007 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

xenthebrain 11-09-2007 08:18 PM

I can change the direction of the dancer by looking at one of the sides at the point where her hand is the furthest away from her body.

If I focus that point on one side to get one direction and vice versa with the other side.

There is no real turn around, the first half of the turn and the second half is exactly the same, just mirrored and since she is all black you just assume it's the right or left hand, when actually it could be both.

z28dreams 11-09-2007 08:36 PM

Ya I finally got it... crazy stuff

StevieG 11-09-2007 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

jjshabado 11-09-2007 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I'm definitely 'left-brained' but saw it going clockwise. I don't know why I bothered to post.

jjshabado 11-09-2007 09:03 PM

Its pretty cool though. I can get it to switch by focusing on the shadow at the bottom then slowing looking up.

Edit: This is awesome. Once I see it going counter-clockwise I have to switch tabs, then when I come back its clockwise. But the second I look at the grey shadow directly it switches to counter-clockwise.

bottomset 11-09-2007 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, what pisses me off if that the very first time the bitch was spinning counterclockwise, i hit refresh, and its been clockwise ever since

MicroBob 11-09-2007 09:44 PM

I really think my personality is a mix of both 'sides'.

I'm left-handed and very left-dominated in other things such as kicking, eye-sight and even hearing. So I suppose that I'm more right-brain oriented.

I can only see that thing spinning clockwise and do not believe I can make it look counter clockwise but I might keep trying for a bit longer.

I think it's weird that the article presupposes that most people will see it spinning counter-clockwise and that I don't think anyone here has that as their first impression.

Russ M. 11-09-2007 09:52 PM

I saw counter at first, then looked away (probably at the text on the left) then she was clockwise.

Klompy 11-09-2007 10:00 PM

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...ue#Post12615569
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...ue#Post12551536

edit: I believe it's only possible ccw because of the shadow on the foot. If it was going cw the foot wouldn't disappear when it does. I can see it both ways, but ccw is correct.

Wires 11-09-2007 10:02 PM

Odd. I guess I'm one of the majority they are talking about (minority here so far). I see counter-clockwise and no matter how hard I stare I can't get her to go clockwise.

Edit: Forget it - I can see her turning both ways now - pretty easy to control once you get the hang of it.

MicroBob 11-09-2007 11:37 PM

dammit dammit dammit.

I can NOT get it to counter-clockwise.
I stare at corners, let my focus go hazy, try looking away, and even try covering my left eye on the assumption that my right eye is more closely associated with my left-brain.

nothing nothing nothing.

Guess I'm REALLY right-brained or something.

Fabian 11-10-2007 12:13 AM

I've seen this on like 5 separate occasions now and it tilts the hell out of me that I can't see it spinning counter clockwise. At this point I'm assuming it's a giant conspiracy against me a la Truman Show.

xenthebrain 11-10-2007 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
dammit dammit dammit.

I stare at corners, let my focus go hazy, try looking away, and even try covering my left eye on the assumption that my right eye is more closely associated with my left-brain.

nothing nothing nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]
stare at the left side of the animation at the point where her hand passes by and imagine she starts out her ccw spin at this point, and don't pay attention to the rest of the animation.

jjshabado 11-10-2007 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
dammit dammit dammit.

nothing nothing nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try following the shadow with your eyes. It worked like a charm for me.

Klompy 11-10-2007 12:16 AM

To all of you who can only see clockwise,

How do you explain that the foot's shadow disappears at the wrong time? The only way it makes physical sense is for the foot's shadow to disappear while in the front and thus out of our view under the frame.

At least this is the way I can only make actual sense of it. Then again this is a mind game so maybe I just can't see it make sense the other way even though I can actually make it spin clockwise for short periods of time.

MicroBob 11-10-2007 12:17 AM

Okay, I'm BARELY starting to get something.
This is weird.

I have the dancer more towards the center of my screen and one poker table in the upper right corner. If I stare at the poker table while trying to remain aware of the dancer then I can start to see it as counter-clockwise but only for brief spurts and only if I have absolutely no focus on it.

Fabian 11-10-2007 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
dammit dammit dammit.

nothing nothing nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]
stare at the left side of the animation at the point where her hand passes by and imagine she starts out her ccw spin at this point, and don't pay attention to the rest of the animation.

[/ QUOTE ]

IT WORKED!!!!! I had to cover the rest of her up at first, but GREAT SUCCESS.

Now I can sleep at night.

xenthebrain 11-10-2007 12:19 AM

If you look slightly below the point of her hand and you then look up, it changes for me.
I can actually have her spin only half way and then half way back again for 2-3 times until I mess up.

MikalSjekson 11-10-2007 12:24 AM

i saw it spinning both ways. more anti-clockwise then clockwise though.

But what [censored] tilts me the most. WHICH WAY IS IT ACTUALLY SPINNING IN REALITY

MicroBob 11-10-2007 12:24 AM

fabian's way does absolutely nothing for me.

Klompy 11-10-2007 12:27 AM

micro, stare at the shadow

esad 11-10-2007 12:48 AM

I just stared at stared at the top left of my screen and imagined in my mind that she was turning the other way and looked and she was. Then I practiced closing my eyes and imagining her turning the other way and then opening my eyes and presto she was turning the other way. Takes a little practice but I can get her to go either way at will this way.

Freakin 11-10-2007 12:58 AM

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/2...warmingwi8.jpg

Zygote 11-10-2007 01:22 AM

i was about to write i sincerely dont believe she can turn counter clockwise but went to check again and finally got her to do so. She was clearly going counter clockwise now but after about 10-15 seconds she switched back.

Im curious if this is a hoax and the page refreshes with different results. Have two people looked the dancer at the same time and came up with different answers for the same data?

Klompy 11-10-2007 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Have two people looked the dancer at the same time and came up with different answers for the same data?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

Dudd 11-10-2007 01:38 AM

You all must be leveling me, this is impossible.

Adebisi 11-10-2007 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
dammit dammit dammit.

nothing nothing nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cover most of the image with your hand, leaving just the bottom parts of the legs exposed. Look at the legs with the assumption that the figure is spinning counter-clockwise. Uncover the rest of the image.

12ressiMorP 11-10-2007 03:05 AM

I'm trying everything and can't get a glimpse of a counterclockwise spin. It's [censored] maddening

fartman77 11-10-2007 03:09 AM

Initially i saw the figure spinning clockwise. Now, i think the sure-fire way to see it going counter is to stare at her shadow on the ground, particularly of the elevated foot.

The shadow of the elevated foot is actually going counter (watch it in the same manner as the sun, as it rises from the east and sets on the west).

Follow this rotation with your eyes and allow your peripheral vision to see the rest of the figure. The whole thing will start goin counter. Tripped me out when i figured this.

Uglyowl 11-10-2007 03:18 AM

I get counter clockwise and even trying to see it clockwise a'int working. You guys are messed up.

Is this a sick joke where there are two different pictures or something?

StayHungry 11-10-2007 04:21 AM

I got it to go back and forth like a pendulum, I think that means I'm like more advanced or somthing

MicroBob 11-10-2007 04:52 AM

I cannot do it.

The best I can do is looking only at the feet and I can see part of the rotation going the other way. But I cannot see an entire rotation going that way. It goes half-way around counter-clockwise and then snaps back to where it was sort of like a pendulum.

But I can only do that with the feet.
Stare at one corner or one shadow or whatever and I just can't do it to make it go the other way and I've really been trying on this.

Keep in mind that with my left-handedness I believe I am pretty far over into my right-brain.

tarheeljks 11-10-2007 04:55 AM

i be left handed mother [censored]