Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Weird spot with friend and possible jailtime (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=540939)

Colombo 11-07-2007 11:48 PM

Weird spot with friend and possible jailtime

Well I get a call today from a pretty close friend of mine because apparently one of our mutual friends got into trouble by stealing $6,000 from his work (cashier at a CVS-type store) . The kid who stole is 20 years old and a good person, so this news shocked me.

Anyways, he needs to pay back the $6,000 by December 31 or he will be charged with a felony and face up to 6-12 months in jail. At this time he has virtually 0% chance of getting this money.

Well, the friend who called me, knowing I played poker, asked me if I could lend the other friend $6,000 and he would pay me back over time. Do I do this, or say [censored] it and let him deal with it himself?

FWIW, I'm not really close with the friend who stole. I mean, we get along great and all but I wouldn't consider him one of my top 2 or 3 friends.

garcia1000 11-07-2007 11:50 PM

Re: Weird spot with friend and possible jailtime

No.

edfurlong 11-07-2007 11:50 PM

Just send him a carton of cigarettes, I hear they're like money.

lastchance 11-07-2007 11:51 PM

Will you get paid?

This is the most key issue you did not mention. The fact that you didn't mention this makes me think no.

poorolrich 11-07-2007 11:52 PM

I wouldn't do it. There is time in everybody's life that they have to stand up and pay the piper.

Colombo 11-07-2007 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Will you get paid?

This is the most key issue you did not mention. The fact that you didn't mention this makes me think no.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I'd get paid, it would take a long time though, which I don't really want to deal with.

eviljeff 11-07-2007 11:52 PM

if it's really money or jail, I'm pretty sure he'll get the money

TeeJayOrTJ 11-07-2007 11:57 PM

I think you pay and get 600 hours of slave work out of him.

kurosh 11-07-2007 11:58 PM

Scam

Elevens 11-08-2007 12:00 AM

Is it worth $6000 to you to never see these friends again?

ginko 11-08-2007 12:02 AM

dont do it. he wont repay, and he deserves punishment for his crimes

FaDi 11-08-2007 12:14 AM

Meet him one on one and talk about it. Then decide.

mookboi 11-08-2007 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

CalledDownLight 11-08-2007 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. Also, if you are well off and can afford it then "hire" him to do some bitch work for you for like $20/hr and make him work for like 50 hours in this time period. Then he'll only be 5k short. He should be able to scrape up a few hundred here and a few hundred there if he really is a good kid. If you give him the money I would not really expect to get it back so it should be out of your good will.

Also, $6k is a [censored] lot for a cashier to be taking in cash. Did he take like every [censored] dollar for a month straight or something?

Starfish 11-08-2007 12:38 AM

It prolly goes this way: the thief pays your friend every month, then he pays you. Then the thief won't pay, your friend says he's trying to get him pay so he could pay you, then he maybe pays you something once or twice. I don't think he will feel he's fully responsible for the debt that the thief prolly never pays him back.

My guess is you'll end up getting $500-1000 back. If it satisfies you, do it.

Why couldn't he sell everything he owns, then get more from his family, then try to borrow the rest? I think I know the answer, though. I know many guys like him.

Dale Dough 11-08-2007 12:39 AM

How the [censored] do his parents not bail him out here? The fact that this obvious route wasn't mentioned makes me doubt he is a good kid. I mean ffs any working person should be able to get a 6k loan right?

shaftman11 11-08-2007 12:39 AM

Peter... watch out for your cornhole, bud.

-zero- 11-08-2007 12:41 AM

I'd never do this unless it was a close friend and I didn't care about getting the money back.

*** 11-08-2007 12:44 AM

Why doesn't he use the $6000 he stole? Because he spent it frivolously. Lending that kind of money to someone with that kind of money management skill seems like a bad idea.

Starfish 11-08-2007 12:47 AM

Besides, those cashier thieves usually spend the money in drugs or gambling. Unless they are women, when they could also spend it in clothes that is the same thing. And would you ever trust a drug addict or gambler?

DrVanNostrin 11-08-2007 12:52 AM

I wouldn't trust a kid who stole $6,000 to pay me back. Also, it's kind of a dick move on your friends part to put you in the spot by even asking.

kurosh 11-08-2007 12:53 AM

Is this something common? Since when do you get a time limit to repay stolen goods before you go to jail? Especially 6k?

If not, as I said, it sounds like a scam.

Starfish 11-08-2007 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't trust a kid who stole $6,000 to pay me back. Also, it's kind of a dick move on your friends part to put you in the spot by even asking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. It's a squeeze play. Fold.

Edit: Kurosh is probably right. Poker players make great targets for scams like these. Anyway, what I know about some cashier thieves, they would steal from anyone, and absolutely wouldn't pay back large sums to their friends.

Case Closed 11-08-2007 01:00 AM

Hmmm, is there anyway you could write up a contract where he would have to pay you back something like 9k for your risk?

Or, couldn't he just take a loan out at the bank? To avoid jail I am sure he can find 6k somewhere somehow.

pegusus 11-08-2007 01:04 AM

I think you already know the answer and just wanted assurance. Under no circumstances should you even consider doing this. The whole manner how this went down makes it a clear no, he steals 6 grand from the place where he works and really thinks he wouldn't get caught. Then another mutual "friend" asks you to bail him out cuz he knows you play poker (and he was prolly put up to it by the guy who did it, no?). I've clamped down way hard on giving/lending money to "friends" who assume just cuz I play poker that I don't mind flinging it around to them all the time for anything. I wouldn't even consider it for this.

garcia1000 11-08-2007 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Right. It's a squeeze play. Fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/9...laintroik5.png

Thread saved

Hopey 11-08-2007 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't trust a kid who stole $6,000 to pay me back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo. The guy has already proven himself to be a thief...and now the OP is going to hand him $6000 and expect to get paid back? Especially taking into account that the OP mentions that the guy in trouble isn't really a close friend. What possible motivation would a guy like that have to pay you back?

[ QUOTE ]

Also, it's kind of a dick move on your friends part to put you in the spot by even asking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, my guess is that the intermediary is laying on the guilt pretty thick, which is why the OP is even considering it. I'd be inclined to break off a friendship with someone like this. If he was a true friend, he wouldn't be putting the OP in a spot like this.

johnbeans 11-08-2007 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How the [censored] do his parents not bail him out here? The fact that this obvious route wasn't mentioned makes me doubt he is a good kid. I mean ffs any working person should be able to get a 6k loan right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a pretty good relationship with my parents (at least I think?). However, I know for a fact that they would not bail me out of a situation like this, and I wouldn't even dream about asking nor expect them to do so.

Colombo 11-08-2007 01:18 AM

Ya I obviously told him no, but said I'd think about it and that I felt bad (pretty much a lie). I just felt kind of douchey refusing to help a kid when I'm his only friend that can.

Bork 11-08-2007 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this something common? Since when do you get a time limit to repay stolen goods before you go to jail? Especially 6k?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this correct. Also if he was good he wouldn't steal that money. Why do you care if somebody you don't know goes to jail for stealing? He should go to jail; give away your money if you want though.

n.s. 11-08-2007 01:26 AM

This is definitely a scam. I could never see a store like CVS making a deal like this - why would they want to send a message to all of their cashiers that if they steal from the store and get caught, all they have to do is pay it back? Store management would be taking a huge risk of letting this kid just skip town and they should be smart enough to know that he'll never be able to repay the money. Plus how the hell would he manage to net $6k from a store like this? Most people pay with plastic these days - it would take a lot of stealing over a very long time to get that much.

If by some chance you are dumb enough to fall for this, arrange to meet with the store manager and give the money directly to him, not to your friend. And then count on never getting any of it back.

Cry Me A River 11-08-2007 01:34 AM

How does this guy not approach you directly for a loan instead of through a third party? That's SUPER sketchy!

And I've never heard of any business that would not press charges in return for money being paid back, unless maybe it's enough that the business could really suffer. They just have the accountants write it off and nail the perpetrator as hard as possible. Particularly since in a lot of cases, the judge will order restitution as part of (say) a probation agreement. Or the DA may accept a plea that includes restitution. So the business has a decent chance of getting some or all of the money back, anyway.

I'd def follow this up and find out what's really going on before I'd consider handing over any cash.

ChipsAhoya 11-08-2007 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is definitely a scam. I could never see a store like CVS making a deal like this - why would they want to send a message to all of their cashiers that if they steal from the store and get caught, all they have to do is pay it back? Store management would be taking a huge risk of letting this kid just skip town and they should be smart enough to know that he'll never be able to repay the money. Plus how the hell would he manage to net $6k from a store like this? Most people pay with plastic these days - it would take a lot of stealing over a very long time to get that much.

If by some chance you are dumb enough to fall for this, arrange to meet with the store manager and give the money directly to him, not to your friend. And then count on never getting any of it back.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's pretty much standard for any company to let you off if you pay the money back. Do you think the CVS manager would rather have some kid he'll never see again sit in jail for 1/2 a year or get his [censored] $6,000 back??

-ChipsAhoya

Bork 11-08-2007 01:38 AM

They can get both.

TripleH68 11-08-2007 01:51 AM

America's Dumbest Criminals?

How much do they pay for stories?

nath 11-08-2007 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You're right.

Colombo,

Merely posting this thread means you need a better defined boundary between "junkie klepto acquaintance" and "close friend I would lend thousands of dollars to in a pinch.". Hint: there's a whole spectrum of relationships in between.

gimmetheloot 11-08-2007 02:22 AM

Hell no colombo, doing this is the worst idea ever.

retep 11-08-2007 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it worth $6000 to you to never see these friends again?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would OP want/need friends like this?

Also, it is pretty shady by your friend to ask you to lend the guy 6k when you are not even friends with him.

Dont do it imo

stabn 11-08-2007 02:55 AM

Don't give them a cent.

Adebisi 11-08-2007 02:59 AM

It's pretty simple. If he's your friend, give him the money. If not, [censored] him. The fact that you'd even consider not paying 6k to keep him out of jail seems to indicate that he's not your friend.