Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Health and Fitness (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Nutritional Supplements (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=540596)

PrimogenitoX 11-07-2007 03:34 PM

Nutritional Supplements

What nutritional supplements should be default standard for everyone? For example, I take a Centrum multivitamin and 1000mg of Vitamin C and feel that this should be standard for everyone and consider people who don't take these supplements after being made aware to be mentally challenged. Then again I could get murdered tomorrow so what does it matter...

thirddan 11-07-2007 03:42 PM

Re: Nutritional Supplements

multivitamin and fish oil...

PrimogenitoX 11-07-2007 04:00 PM

hmm...fish oil...daily? What is the exact purpose of it? Omega 3s? What dosage am I looking for?

chancelor1 11-07-2007 06:12 PM

other then the supposed benefits for the heart what else does fish oil (omega 3's) do for you?

PLOlover 11-07-2007 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
other then the supposed benefits for the heart what else does fish oil (omega 3's) do for you?

[/ QUOTE ]

if you're deficient you might experienced hard like rock libido difference upon taking it. (over time, like a week maybe).

Bond18 11-08-2007 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if you're deficient you might experienced hard like rock libido difference upon taking it. (over time, like a week maybe).

[/ QUOTE ]

Your wording confuses me a little here. Are you saying you may experience erections that are really really hard? Or a very very high sex drive?

PLOlover 11-08-2007 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your wording confuses me a little here. Are you saying you may experience erections that are really really hard? Or a very very high sex drive?

[/ QUOTE ]

it's a subtle effect, more of the former.

thirddan 11-08-2007 03:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://ezinearticles.com/?7-Fish-Oil...&id=415032
this was the first hit on a google search of "fish oil benefits"

you can find dozens of benefits...i take 3-5g / day...dosage recommendations go from 2g/day all the way up to 15-30g/day...

Blarg 11-08-2007 01:24 PM

Wow that site is sleazy. I like the breast enlargement herbs, including an "ancient secret" from Thailand, that "some say" work and that "are generally considered safe and effective by the FDA." Thankfully, this is written by a lady who is a regular contributor to a site about natural breast enhancement products, so we know we are getting unbiased info. And the human growth hormone article article is a winner too.

thirddan 11-08-2007 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow that site is sleazy. I like the breast enlargement herbs, including an "ancient secret" from Thailand, that "some say" work and that "are generally considered safe and effective by the FDA." Thankfully, this is written by a lady who is a regular contributor to a site about natural breast enhancement products, so we know we are getting unbiased info. And the human growth hormone article article is a winner too.

[/ QUOTE ]

meh, the site may not be the most reputable or whatever, i didnt look into it much, it was the first hit and had some of the same points i see about fish oil all the time...im sure you can find hundreds of better sites that will say similar and different benefits for fish oil if you feel like looking...

Big TR 11-08-2007 02:24 PM

Part 3 of this T-Nation series is going to be dealing with supplements. Omega-3's make an appearance before part 3.

http://tinyurl.com/2f44p7

Blarg 11-08-2007 03:56 PM

Yeah, fish oil's benefits are pretty well established. The site just cracked me up though.

johnnyrocket 11-08-2007 08:53 PM

BCAA's, branch chained amino acids, they are the building block to all muscle growth and you dont get all you need in from food, they are some of the cheapest supplements and the most powerful

mperich 11-09-2007 01:24 AM

i like bcaa's too (purple wraath ftw) but i dont think they are as cheap or as effective as you think (relative to other supps)

-Mike

Big TR 11-09-2007 09:26 AM

I know next to nothing about weight training and/or nutrition but know that T-Nation is to be taken with a really large grain of salt. It is one of the most over the top websites that takes itself seriously that I have ever seen.

onlinebeginner 11-13-2007 09:08 PM

What are BCAA's?

onlinebeginner 11-14-2007 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What are BCAA's?

[/ QUOTE ]
let me elaborate... what supplements contain bcaa's

GamblorZ 11-14-2007 06:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What nutritional supplements should be default standard for everyone? For example, I take a Centrum multivitamin and 1000mg of Vitamin C and feel that this should be standard for everyone and consider people who don't take these supplements after being made aware to be mentally challenged. Then again I could get murdered tomorrow so what does it matter...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think any supplement is really necessary, but fish oil and a good multi vitamin would definately help people to be healthier.

Also something I've noticed is today's men usually lack in zinc (since the RDI of zinc is 15mg - about 1/2lb of red meat per day). Zinc is important for energy levels and everyone I've reccomended zinc too notices a large increase in sleep levels (and sex drive - zinc assists this too [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])

PLOlover 11-14-2007 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Zinc is important for energy levels and everyone I've reccomended zinc too notices a large increase in sleep levels

[/ QUOTE ]

women too or just men or don't know?

Blarg 11-14-2007 08:59 PM

The National Cancer Institute recommends selenium supplementation daily.

mperich 11-14-2007 09:34 PM

i dont think its as important in women, since in men zinc deficiency causes lowered test levels. i still cant see it being bad for women, but im not sure if theyre rec daily intake is as high

-Mike

GamblorZ 11-15-2007 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Zinc is important for energy levels and everyone I've reccomended zinc too notices a large increase in sleep levels

[/ QUOTE ]

women too or just men or don't know?

[/ QUOTE ]

women need a lot less zinc then men, so if they eat red meat 2 times a week then should be fine.

PLOlover 11-15-2007 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
women need a lot less zinc then men, so if they eat red meat 2 times a week then should be fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

curious mostly about the sleep/seditive effect if there is any.

mag/zinc really zonked me out at first, increased rem, but the effect seemed to quickly taper off. I mean, I'm a guy, I'm just wondering if zinc would have a sleep effect for girlfriend.

GamblorZ 11-17-2007 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

curious mostly about the sleep/seditive effect if there is any.

mag/zinc really zonked me out at first, increased rem, but the effect seemed to quickly taper off. I mean, I'm a guy, I'm just wondering if zinc would have a sleep effect for girlfriend.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that their is any "magical" property about the zinc/magnesium combination that supplement companies market.

The reason this supplement has an effect on people is that literally everyone is defeciet in it IMO. The RDI's for most nutrients are basically set to the minimum for people to live (for example the RDI for vitamin C is only 40mg to fight off scurvy, but benefits are seen upwards of 500mg).

So what I'm trying to say is that the reason people experience a better sleep from taking a zinc/mag supplement is really just bringing their sleep to a normal level, not impoving it beyond "normal". A lot of people don't realise that which is why companies are ripping people off. Your gf can try supplementing with zinc and see if it helps, but I doubt it would. A lot of things can effect the quality of sleep some body gets, the main one being NOT sleeping at a regular time every day of the week

sorry for the long winded reply

PLOlover 11-17-2007 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think that their is any "magical" property about the zinc/magnesium combination that supplement companies market.

The reason this supplement has an effect on people is that literally everyone is defeciet in it IMO. The RDI's for most nutrients are basically set to the minimum for people to live (for example the RDI for vitamin C is only 40mg to fight off scurvy, but benefits are seen upwards of 500mg).

So what I'm trying to say is that the reason people experience a better sleep from taking a zinc/mag supplement is really just bringing their sleep to a normal level, not impoving it beyond "normal". A lot of people don't realise that which is why companies are ripping people off. Your gf can try supplementing with zinc and see if it helps, but I doubt it would. A lot of things can effect the quality of sleep some body gets, the main one being NOT sleeping at a regular time every day of the week

[/ QUOTE ]

not really sure, BUT, my personal experience was that I just took the magnesium pill and zinc pill out of my daily rattler (bottle that has my daily dose of vitamin pills and stuff) that I take after lunch or dinner, and instead took them right before bed.

and for a couple/few days it really increased rem and sleeping, but then the effect seemed to taper off.

so not sure exactly what is up with that. could be what you say though cause I take mag every day, but not the zinc every day.

btw, the reason I don't take the zinc every day is cause I read you got zinc/copper balance and if you take zinc you can get deficient in copper cause copper/zinc absorbed at same place in intestine or something.

GamblorZ 11-18-2007 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not really sure, BUT, my personal experience was that I just took the magnesium pill and zinc pill out of my daily rattler (bottle that has my daily dose of vitamin pills and stuff) that I take after lunch or dinner, and instead took them right before bed.

and for a couple/few days it really increased rem and sleeping, but then the effect seemed to taper off.

so not sure exactly what is up with that. could be what you say though cause I take mag every day, but not the zinc every day.

btw, the reason I don't take the zinc every day is cause I read you got zinc/copper balance and if you take zinc you can get deficient in copper cause copper/zinc absorbed at same place in intestine or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I take my zinc pre bed (I have a seperate calcium/mag sup so don't really need more mag). I do notice a better sleep as well, but haven't experimented with taking zinc at other times during the day (but largely because zinc is best absorbed on an empty stomach/low calcium meal).

and yep, your right about excess levels of zinc causing copper deficiency's and vice versa...but notice i said excess. 30mg a day for a healthy male should be fine [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

btw I'm almost finished in a dietics/exercise science degree so I'm not just talking out of my ass. Amateur bodybuilder too (at a height of 5"6' [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] )

Machmood 11-18-2007 08:53 PM

Im going to answer this question assuming you are talking about an active male(works out regulary) over the age of 18. I could name over 150 things you SHOULD take, so many things in nature we could benefit from takng, but here are the basics,and what i take.

1. EFA's
2. branch chain amino acids(BCAA)
3.Vit C/r-ALA (taken at the same time)
4.A once a day multi vitamin(natures bes is cheap)
5. Tongkat ali (not essential but is Known to increase testosterone levels and libido
(you can look into tribulus terrestris and ZMA for added effects of tongkatali)

You can look into a product called animal pack, or i know GNC has a megaman pack that is supposed to cover all bases for men, things like prostate,liver,heart etc support
but they can be overpriced

dave88 11-18-2007 10:32 PM

Zinc can cause other supplements and meds not to be absorbed properly, so should be taken separately.

Sam-e is an interesting supplement, it definitely has effect on mental acuity. It seems to have interaction with intoxicants though, causing you to get maybe a little drunker, and weed will hit you a lil harder if you're taking it. It is quite pricey though and has freshness issues, it breaks down quickly. Don't buy super cheapo off brands as they are generally ineffective.

http://www.raysahelian.com/sam-e.html

JammyDodga 11-19-2007 05:43 AM

Why do we need any suppliments at all? If you are eating a balanced diet, with red meat, some fish and a whole pile of different vegetables etc, surely we should be getting everything we need?

I'm just interested in hearing the other viewpoint, because everyone here seems to assume that suppliments are required.

Blarg 11-19-2007 11:45 AM

Eating properly is necessary whether you use supplements or not. However, it's probably far less common than people suppose. And some things, like minerals, depend partially on the water supply in your particular area. Stress and exercise also increase the need for certain nutrients. Not everyone exercises, but stress is near universal in the modern world.

PLOlover 11-20-2007 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do we need any suppliments at all? If you are eating a balanced diet, with red meat, some fish and a whole pile of different vegetables etc, surely we should be getting everything we need?

I'm just interested in hearing the other viewpoint, because everyone here seems to assume that suppliments are required.

[/ QUOTE ]

short answer, soil depletion. because we don't let the land rest once every seven years we use chemical fertilizer instead and the land becomes depleted of minerals and it works its way up the food chain.

also vitC might be special case.

also modern manufactured food. (anything with shelf life or canning has had most nutrients removed by manufacturing process.)

dave88 11-21-2007 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"My Nutrients, They have Escape!"

shemp 11-21-2007 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
everyone here seems to assume that suppliments are required.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it seems that way because it's a thread about what supplements folks thinks should be required? I take nothing. I don't advocate my approach, and frankly, I think I should probably take a multi-vitamin because so many people seem to recommend them. Since I never remember to buy them, I suppose I'd never remember to take them, so there's that.

That has me thinking, if there was a supplement for memory, the people who took it would be the one's least in need. Wow. I just blew my mind.

dave88 11-21-2007 04:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

"My Nutrients, They have Escape!"

[/ QUOTE ]- Shake,
Aqua Team Hunger Force, Colon Movie for Theaters
Very funny Colon film, watch it you will.