Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Guy crashes into my truck, his fault, gives false insurance info (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=539101)

Big Bend 11-05-2007 05:53 PM

Guy crashes into my truck, his fault, gives false insurance info

Yep, this last weekend my son was driving my truck when someone pulled right in front of him, causing an accident. Guy admitted it was his fault. He gave my son his personal and insurance info. The cops were called out but they didn't want to file a report since it was a minor accident, nobody was hurt, and it looked like all info was exchanged. Damn I shoulda had the cop file a report anyway.. oh well..

Today we called the guys insurance and found out it was totally bogus. Then we found out his phone # was fake too. Well we do have a valid drivers license # and his address is correct - I drove by his house and saw his damaged car in the driveway. Found out his real home phone # and called but nobody answers.

So, unless we can contact this a-hole and get some valid insurance info from him (which I doubt will ever happen), then we'll have to file a claim against our insurance that an uninsured person hit us, and pay a $250 deductible. Which SUCKS!! Its not our fault, why should we have to pay?

So whats my play? I'll be calling again tonight, will try knocking on his door to ask for the right info, but that might cause problems too. But damn, if I gota pay $250 and deal with a lying a-hole, there will definitely be revenge at some point down the road.

Suggestions on how to handle this, and how to get revenge if all else fails, much appreciated. Doubt the cops will do anything at this point. Oh well, at least nobody hurt.

L8r.. BB

eviljeff 11-05-2007 05:56 PM

Re: Guy crashes into my truck, his fault, gives false insurance info

definitely get the cops involved. put some pressure on them.

traz 11-05-2007 05:57 PM

obviously get the cops involved, but how does this even happen? I mean, don't you usually look at the insurance papers when the accident happens?

edit-- this is a serious question, not being an idiot or anything

yeotaJMU 11-05-2007 06:01 PM

call the cops or set his car and fire and leave a fake note

Lazy Meatball 11-05-2007 06:02 PM

have your insurance go after the cops for failing to file a report, which is negligent on their part. When the cops get this pressure they will go after the douchebag.

(this is just what i think should happen, no idea if that's how it works)

qdmcg 11-05-2007 06:02 PM

the only play here is going to the police, don't show up to the dude's house, nothing good will come of this

alternatively, call your insurance company and ask what to do, they have probably dealt with this before

jmcclone 11-05-2007 06:03 PM

It is very likely that this guy has no insurance and no intention of paying for your damages. Report the accident with his info to your insurance company and let them deal with the hassle of trying to subrogate. Either way you are out $250 for at least the time being. Next time make sure an accident report is filed.

Lottery Larry 11-05-2007 06:04 PM

Call the police- I'm sure they'd be happy to hear about someone who lied to them to avoid an accident report

poorolrich 11-05-2007 06:05 PM

When you talk to him and (if) he gives you the run around buy the cheapest bottle of wine, give the wine to a bum/wino, fill empty bottle with gas, burn house down at 4:am. Revenge is good!!! Oh yeah, wipe finger prints off bottle!!!!!!!!!

diddyeinstein 11-05-2007 06:11 PM

^^ No [censored], my advice was to burn down their house as well.

As stated above you going to their house by yourself can only be a bad thing. Contact the insurance, contact the police, cross your fingers.

Apparently I forgot the cross your fingers step when this happened to me because I still haven't gotten [censored].

Poofler 11-05-2007 06:12 PM

Stop asking a message forum that loves to give unqualified advice, and call your insurance company to ask for theirs.

LateNiteRush 11-05-2007 06:12 PM

OK I see this EVERYDAY in my line of work, seriously everyday... Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do here. It is HIS word against your sons. The police will not do anything now. Always, Always, Always get a police report when there is an accident. The only time you can't, is if you get hit on private property, and the law says the police cannot come out on private property in that county. I don't know why everyone here is saying get the police involved, it's too late. I would NOT go knocking on the guys door, that will only cause problems. PM me if you need more information, thanks.

smk67 11-05-2007 06:13 PM

If I were you, I would call your insurance agent ASAP because dealing with this stuff is their job. Also, I can't understand why the cops would not make a report for any accident. The report is the best proof that the accident was not your son's fault.

Big Bend 11-05-2007 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
obviously get the cops involved, but how does this even happen? I mean, don't you usually look at the insurance papers when the accident happens?

[/ QUOTE ]

His insurance paper looked legit to me and the cop, but turned out to be fake. So I need to call the cop back again? What's he gona do, go to the guys house? And when nobody answers the door, what then?

The cop didn't want to write a report, said we didn't need one, but asked if I wanted one filed anyway. Damn, I SHOULD have made him do it anyway, thats my $250 mistake, and at the time it looked like all the guy's info was correct and would be easily handled.

My insurance company says they can't go after this guy, they just either need his Ins info or I have to file a claim against my policy that an uninsured motorist hit me.. They're not being very helpful, but I guess there isn't much they can do.

So the guy is driving an uninsured car, is a liar, gives fake info to me and a cop, and will prob get away with it. Sounds like in a year or so (after he's forgotten about me) he should be without transportation somehow. I'll need to do some research on how to best get away with my revenge schemes. I have a good friend who can help me out there so I'm not "directly" involved. This should be fun.. tho sucks just the same.

Oh well, live n learn... more suggestions appreciated tho if ya got any.

L8r.. BB

Zameus 11-05-2007 06:22 PM

If this guy is showing a Policeman fake documents I would think the authorities would want to get involved.

vikefan24 11-05-2007 06:30 PM

Crash into him next time you see him driving..

Matt Williams 11-05-2007 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK I see this EVERYDAY in my line of work, seriously everyday... Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do here. It is HIS word against your sons. The police will not do anything now. Always, Always, Always get a police report when there is an accident. The only time you can't, is if you get hit on private property, and the law says the police cannot come out on private property in that county. I don't know why everyone here is saying get the police involved, it's too late. I would NOT go knocking on the guys door, that will only cause problems. PM me if you need more information, thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your a noob w/ 42 posts. The OP won't listen to you.

kevin017 11-05-2007 06:40 PM

You can no doubt sue him for the damages, but that would be a bigger hassle than 250 bucks is worth. But, i think it might be worth threatening him with suing him for the entire amount unless he pays your 250 deductible. I dunno how it works, you could probably even initiate a small claims court case for the whole amount then tell him to give you 250 and hope he does it.

I'm not sure what the police heard, but if he admitted in front of the police, you can probably tell him the cop said he'd testify for you or something.

A.P. Keaton 11-05-2007 06:41 PM

First, you should definitely report the accident to your insurance company. If he is uninsured, and it sounds like that's the case, then your insurance company is required to cover the damages under the uninsured motorist provisions of your insurance policy. If you delay reporting the claim, your insurance company may deny coverage (you have a duty to report all claims promptly under the terms of your insurance policy).

Second, the guy almost definitely doesn't have insurance. He wouldnt lie to you if he did.

Third, call the police and explain the situation. Ask if you can come to the station and make a report. Give the police all the information you have and explain that the guy lied about his insurance information. You say that he pulled in front of your son -- he will probably lie and say that your son rear-ended him -- a police report may be helpul for insurance purposes. The best way to get the police to make a report is to be very nice to them.

Fourth, ask your insurance company if they will go after the guy for your deductible. Sometimes when insurance companies pay you for the damages to your vehicle, they still go after the responsible party (this is called subrogation).

Fifth, I might try to call the guy and lean on him a little to pay for the damages and threaten a lawsuit, but I wouldn't go any farther than that. It's not worth it to face criminal charges to get even with the guy.

Good luck.

traz 11-05-2007 06:44 PM

http://www.davidbordwell.net/blog/wp...ther-1-500.jpg

make sure you think to call him godfather

golfnutt 11-05-2007 06:52 PM

Interesting. I never thought that someone would manufacture fake insurance docs especially since the license plates can be traced to a house.

Logical answer: $250 out the window. Big deal.

Tilt answer: Call the police, sue, and if that doesn't work work terrorize him.

MicroBob 11-05-2007 07:07 PM

WTF?
Just find the same cop. Even if he didn't file a report he'll remember the incident.

Why would you even bother trying to call this guy? He swindled you already and is probably hoping you will drop it now....but you have no idea what kind of person he is.
You establishd that he lives there. Great. Don't try to handle any more of it.

Find the cop who was involved. Talk to him and say, "Hey, remember me. You advised that we exchange insurance info and I agreed. Well, it turns out that his info is bogus."

etc etc etc.

This really isn't that hard. So what that the cop didn't file a report. He still has a memory doesn't he?

Wires 11-05-2007 07:16 PM

" OK I see this EVERYDAY in my line of work... It is HIS word against your sons. The police will not do anything now. "

I'm not sure what line of work you are in but I think you are wrong. He showed the police officer false or forged documents. Find the same officer who attended the accident - I would wager that he will be very interested in paying the guy a visit. I imagine he could face some serious charges.

BuckyK 11-05-2007 07:28 PM

Why do you ask for advice, then when good advice is given you blow it off? Like MicroBob said, get a hold of the officer that was at the accident.

I don't know in which state you live, but in Oregon you have 72 hours to file a report with the DMV, and that includes using the other driver's information. Why didn't you file an accident report with the DMV?

As for my feelings toward this situation, your last statement and the apathy you are showing toward this situation is leading me to believe that you deserve anything negative that comes out of this accident. It's too bad your kid is going to learn how to handle these situations from a bad source.

MC Chris 11-05-2007 07:42 PM

you should really just find the same cop like everyone is saying and fill him in. also, please post updates.

Big Bend 11-05-2007 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you should really just find the same cop like everyone is saying and fill him in. also, please post updates.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll definitely be contacting the policeman. I tried getting ahold of him today and they said he was off duty. He'll remember everything - he even said at the time if this goes to court, that he would testify for my son.

So I don't think getting a police report filed after the fact will be a problem, but at the same time, I doubt it'll help any either. I've already contacted my insurance company and reported everything, so we're covered there. But seriously, looks like the a-hole will get away with it, unless some sort of revenge takes place down the road... but that won't help me anyway. And I don't like the idea of calling him and threatening to sue, that might invite some sort of reprisals my way when he realizes what I intend to do.

Damn lazy cop not wanting to write a report at the scene, talked me out of it, my bad, live n learn. The $250 itself isn't so bad, but the fact that it will be on my insurance record somewhere will I'm sure raise my rates someday, especially if we have another incident or two to file again in the near future. If all I had to do was pay the $250 and nothing bad would happen, I wouldn't care that much. As it stands now, I'm still quite pissed about the whole thing.

L8r.. BB

gisb0rne 11-05-2007 08:27 PM

Contact the police and have them arrest him for fraud or whatever the crime is. Then sue him for the damages to the truck.

dragonystic 11-05-2007 11:14 PM

molotov cocktail

Ray Zee 11-06-2007 01:57 AM

big bend, he isnt going to pay much. your 250 you can get by calling him or leaving a message that you will pursure felony criminal charges for false identification.
this guy probably is already on probation and will pay the 250 to get you to shut up, or he will kill you. probably pay.

but really this is the same as if he hit you son and told him he didnt have insurance.
you would be in the same situation.

Henry17 11-06-2007 09:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting. I never thought that someone would manufacture fake insurance docs especially since the license plates can be traced to a house.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is actually quite common. If you go to traffic court you'll see at least 1-2 a week.

It is a pretty serious offence. In my jurisdiction the fine is about $12k (although usually the crown will ask for less) plus another $5600 for driving without insurance. I'm not sure if it is as serious in the States but it would be something that is fairly easy to find out.

I'd definitely file a police report. I wouldn't bother suing for the $250. The time and effort plus the probability of the guy being judgement proof makes it a losing proposition.

mak15 11-06-2007 10:36 AM

BigBen,

Relax and stop being such an idiot.

snewland22 11-06-2007 10:50 AM

Definitely go the police route first. But, if that doesn't work, there is no way I let this go. Maybe I'm just a hotheaded idiot, but I'm not letting this slide. I'd have to think about what to do, but I would make sure the world stayed in balance.

droopy0021 11-06-2007 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the only play here is going to the police, don't show up to the dude's house, nothing good will come of this

alternatively, call your insurance company and ask what to do, they have probably dealt with this before

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts (I'm in the insurance business):

1. Calling cops probably won't do you any good re: getting your $$. They filled out a report and the person filled his info, some of it false. Even if they give him a ticket for filing false report, how is that going to get your $$? It's not.

2. You've made reasonable attempts to contact this individual by phone. You can try a letter next. If that doesn't work you could enlist an attorney, who likely would charge you $$ to pursue that it wouldn't be worthwhile to use said attorney.

3. Your insurance company can give you advice and might issue letter to recoup the whole repair cost (including deductible). How much they pay to fix your car will determine how hard they pursue. If it's $1-2k to fix they'll probably try with a letter or 2 and phone calls. Probably not worth their cost to sick a mad attorney.

4. I'd recommend you get the repair done through your insurance company, pay the deductible and provide them the accident report & contact info you've developed (right phone #). It sucks you have to pay the deductible. This unfortunately happens a lot....the responsible person with insurance pays when a deadbeat causes an accident.

This accident shouldn't be held against your insurance costs (unless you have a lot of claims).

MC Chris 11-06-2007 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
big bend, he isnt going to pay much. your 250 you can get by calling him or leaving a message that you will pursure felony criminal charges for false identification.
this guy probably is already on probation and will pay the 250 to get you to shut up, or he will kill you. probably pay.

but really this is the same as if he hit you son and told him he didnt have insurance.
you would be in the same situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah good point. i thought about this but didn't post it. i mean, say the guy said "i have no insurance", you'd have to pay the $250 anyway right? if anything this is better since maybe the guy will get into some kind of legal trouble for forging papers.

iambusto 11-06-2007 04:41 PM

dont hire an attorney yet. not worth it.
contact the cops like others have said. the cops would be very interested in pursuing a guy who gave them forged papers. who knows what kind of charges they are likely to file against him (especially if it pisses off the cop involved as it might hurt his ego that someone conned him into believing that papers were genuine)

pray daily that the guy runs into a large semitruck next time, from the side, in a mountaneous road...probably wont happen but hey you can always hope right.:)

KFCandKoolAid 11-06-2007 05:07 PM

if you pm me his number i can run it to get his address if you need it for a future beat down.

jk1986 11-06-2007 07:00 PM

What have you got to lose by contacting the cops, def gotta be your first step imo.

NT! 11-06-2007 07:08 PM

update?

Twistofsin 11-06-2007 07:13 PM

This cop was beyond lazy, he was incompetent. Not wanting to fill out a report .. okay paperwork is a PITA. But not verifying that he has valid insurance?

WTF, I'd be tempted to speak with his superior over this matter.

Slappz 11-06-2007 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Damn lazy cop not wanting to write a report at the scene, talked me out of it, my bad, live n learn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe your upset about the cop, he seemed more than helpful. He even agreed to testify for you. Maybe you should get him to hold your hand in court too.