Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Can someone explain? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=539053)

rabbitlover 11-05-2007 04:55 PM

Can someone explain?

I have these situations that happen to me constantly to take me out of tournaments. For the life of me I do not know how to deal with players who will call any PF raise with any two cards and then PUSH on a flop they are only 38%.

It happens to me so often I am getting paranoid that either I don't play these situations right or the whole damn thing really is rigged.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (9 handed) TightPoker converter

UTG+1 (t1850)
MP1 (t3745)
MP2 (t4380)
Hero (t4110)
CO (t8416)
Button (t5075)
SB (t5611)
BB (t3248)
UTG (t4075)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls t50, MP2 calls t50, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t650</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls t625, BB calls t600, MP1 folds, MP2 calls t600.

Flop: (t2650) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t4961 (All-In)</font>, BB folds, MP2 folds, Hero calls t3460 (All-In).

Turn: (t11071) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: (t11071) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t11071

Results hidden below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
SB has 4c 3c (straight, seven high).
Hero has Ks Ah (high card, ace).
Outcome: SB wins t11071. </font>

Hope some of the more experienced here will respond; and don't just tell me about bad beats. I am consistantly being bad beat by bad players.

quirkasaurus 11-05-2007 04:58 PM

Re: Can someone explain?

here's the explaination...

the dude put you AK, AQ, AJ, etc...

after the flop, he was hoping to bluff you
off your hand by "representing" trips,
the nuts flush draw, or TPTK or even JJ,
QQ, etc...

he wasn't hoping for a call,
much less to win the hand after you did.

PantsOnFire 11-05-2007 05:04 PM

Everyone has a lot of chips for the blind level. Is this a $3 rebuy on Pokerstars?

If that is the case, then these clowns are trying desparately to double up. Your preflop raise is a massive overbet. Next time, raise to $250 and fold to that flop bet.

Maybe you can't give up a hand like AK. I don't know. But when I venture into these tourneys, I play lots of cheap flops and look to double up myself. I'll even call with JJ because I know that a raise will get no respect.

I do like raising with AK though. If you don't hit, just fold. Guys playing like this will give you no fold equity so either check and hope for a free card or fold and move on. When you do hit a hand, you will likely double up so that makes it easier to contiually see a flop and then fold because sooner or later you will hit and somebody will go all-in.

latvian7 11-05-2007 05:06 PM

most people are clueless what to do out of position, but im really amazed by his play, im assuming this is some kinda freeroll or 0,10$ tournament or you got really really lucky with your table.Haven't seen this kinda plays even in rebuys.

Tackleberry 11-05-2007 05:06 PM

I simply donīt understand YOUR play here.

1) Why do you make it 650 preflop? This is much too high ...

2) SB pushes into three opponents. The board is rather dry (besides the two hearts). What the hell was your motivation to call him with just A high (and a backdoor flushdraw)?! You must have had special reads to do this ...

Sharkzilla1 11-05-2007 05:12 PM

Idk how you call that flop shove ever, you were okay this time but I have no idea how this call can be profitable long time.

rabbitlover 11-05-2007 05:16 PM

$55 no re-buy

rabbitlover 11-05-2007 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

QQ, etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

I take it then that is a std. PF call for YOU with 4-3s?

ssnyc 11-05-2007 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have these situations that happen to me constantly to take me out of tournaments. For the life of me I do not know how to deal with players who will call any PF raise with any two cards and then PUSH on a flop they are only 38%.

It happens to me so often I am getting paranoid that either I don't play these situations right or the whole damn thing really is rigged.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (9 handed) TightPoker converter

UTG+1 (t1850)
MP1 (t3745)
MP2 (t4380)
Hero (t4110)
CO (t8416)
Button (t5075)
SB (t5611)
BB (t3248)
UTG (t4075)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls t50, MP2 calls t50, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t650</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls t625, BB calls t600, MP1 folds, MP2 calls t600.

Flop: (t2650) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t4961 (All-In)</font>, BB folds, MP2 folds, Hero calls t3460 (All-In).

Turn: (t11071) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: (t11071) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Hope some of the more experienced here will respond; and don't just tell me about bad beats. I am consistantly being bad beat by bad players.

[/ QUOTE ]

you raised it what preflop?????? Why? For the love of god why???? And then you called the all in for how much???????? Who cares what he had...you played it badly and would have lost to a huge range of hands

rabbitlover 11-05-2007 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

2) SB pushes into three opponents. The board is rather dry (besides the two hearts). What the hell was your motivation to call him with just A high (and a backdoor flushdraw)?! You must have had special reads to do this ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I did, he pushed with nothing twice before against different opponents, loses one, then cracks AA on the other to regain chips. So yes, I had a read and was fairly sure I was ahead.

rabbitlover 11-05-2007 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
most people are clueless what to do out of position, but im really amazed by his play, im assuming this is some kinda freeroll or 0,10$ tournament or you got really really lucky with your table.Haven't seen this kinda plays even in rebuys.

[/ QUOTE ]

$55

ZenMusician 11-05-2007 05:24 PM

When I started playing O8, I was a winning LHE
player up to 10/20. I began at the bottom - .01/.02
and worked my way up to where I normally play.

I simply cannot fathom how you can "learn" in $50+
tournaments without a basic knowledge of fundamentals.

If money is no object, then, whatever, but you are
robbing yourself of an education.

Just my silly .02

-ZEN

ssnyc 11-05-2007 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I did, he pushed with nothing twice before against different opponents, loses one, then cracks AA on the other to regain chips. So yes, I had a read and was fairly sure I was ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

please answer question 1

rabbitlover 11-05-2007 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

UTG+1 (t1850)
MP1 (t3745)
MP2 (t4380)
Hero (t4110)
CO (t8416)
Button (t5075)
SB (t5611)
BB (t3248)
UTG (t4075)

[/ QUOTE ]

you raised it what preflop?????? Why? For the love of god why???? And then you called the all in for how much???????? Who cares what he had...you played it badly and would have lost to a huge range of hands

[/ QUOTE ]

Then seeing what I have explained about this player, at what point do YOU not allow yourself to be pushed off a hand?

ssnyc 11-05-2007 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

UTG+1 (t1850)
MP1 (t3745)
MP2 (t4380)
Hero (t4110)
CO (t8416)
Button (t5075)
SB (t5611)
BB (t3248)
UTG (t4075)

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then seeing what I have explained about this player, at what point do YOU not allow yourself to be pushed off a hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

rabbit...simple enough...you have a bad player targeted...why go after him with absolutely nothing? yes AK is junk after the flop to that much action...trust our ability to outplay him and find a better spot...remember that term cause it's a wonderful poker truism...you can find a better spot...

also raise less preflop...no reason to raise that much...if he sucks you can stack him if you hit. If you want to get fancy with QQ plus like this fine but AK needs some care

rabbitlover 11-05-2007 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

please answer question 1

[/ QUOTE ]

Obvious overbet, $250 to $300 would have been fine; but I can tell you I am not folding to this guy.

So my play is suspect to you; but really NO comment about the other guy?

rabbitlover 11-05-2007 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I started playing O8, I was a winning LHE
player up to 10/20. I began at the bottom - .01/.02
and worked my way up to where I normally play.

I simply cannot fathom how you can "learn" in $50+
tournaments without a basic knowledge of fundamentals.

If money is no object, then, whatever, but you are
robbing yourself of an education.

Just my silly .02

-ZEN

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the enlightenment. YOU would have played the hand how?

ssnyc 11-05-2007 05:33 PM

not the point at all...you played the hand horrible...a pair o dueces beat you...you had a read..great but use it in conjunction with a hand...

ZenMusician 11-05-2007 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
at what point do YOU not allow yourself to be pushed off a hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

When I actually HAVE a hand.

Please stop making reads that players won't fold and then
gaping in awe when they beat your Ace-high. kthanks

-ZEN

quirkasaurus 11-05-2007 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

QQ, etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

I take it then that is a std. PF call for YOU with 4-3s?

[/ QUOTE ]

did you quote the right post?!

i said the guy was pretending like he had QQ or JJ...

i don't think anyone here, villain included, expected you
to make that call. if any face card hits that flop, i doubt
the villain makes that play.

ZenMusician 11-05-2007 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the enlightenment. YOU would have played the hand how?

[/ QUOTE ]

This attitude will get you far here, best of luck

-ZEN

Tackleberry 11-05-2007 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So my play is suspect to you; but really NO comment about the other guy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it really help you to hear that Villain played this hand badly? Then better go to the BBV forum ...

Honestly, I think your play is much worse than that of Villain. As other posters already explained, a thinking Villain (which he maybe actually wasnīt - but however) takes your ridiculous raise as a sign of weakness, telegraphing a hand like 22-77. Then he calls you with any two, planning to shove every flop a hand like 66 doesnīt like (which is nearly everyone!). This is a hyperaggressive but not by all means bad play. Your play actually IS bad by all means.

PantsOnFire 11-05-2007 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

UTG+1 (t1850)
MP1 (t3745)
MP2 (t4380)
Hero (t4110)
CO (t8416)
Button (t5075)
SB (t5611)
BB (t3248)
UTG (t4075)

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Pushed off what hand? Ace high?

rabbitlover 11-05-2007 05:52 PM

Fair enough guys. Now how would you play this opponent and this hand HU?

BarryLyndon 11-05-2007 06:02 PM

I tried "learning" how to play poker by playing $50s and $25s with BRs no higher than 1K. And I wasted two years of my poker career making every terrible mistake under the sun. Like this one.

Barry

quirkasaurus 11-05-2007 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm thinking the consensus is a std 3xBB raise PF,
and fold to aggression.

wait for a monster and trap him.

mflip 11-05-2007 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm thinking the consensus is a std 3xBB raise PF,
and fold to aggression.

wait for a monster and trap him.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. But 250-300 PF makes the hand play a lot differently.

crankalicious 11-05-2007 07:16 PM

I bet everyone here understands and empathizes with your thinking. I know I do. You just can't let your frustration with somebody else's bad play dictate your play. This happens most often as you sit still, getting no cards, and watch some guy accumulate chips with nothing. You say to yourself either "I'm just going to see a flop" or "I'm going after this guy with the first decent hand I get". A lot of poker is patience. What this guy offered you was a chance to crush him in the right situation. It was your job to find that good opportunity.

tomek322 11-05-2007 07:20 PM

Flop: (t2650) 6, T, 2 (4 players)
SB bets t4961 (All-In), BB folds, MP2 folds, Hero calls t3460 (All-In).

am I missing something? call? is there a read that was involved in making this call?

Also 650 PF?

EDIT: i didn't read the second or 3rd pages... i see these questions already asked. Never mind.

make it 250 PF. Proceed from there.

Just an FYI... this isn't even a bad beat. He does have 10 outs.

ssnyc 11-05-2007 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I bet everyone here understands and empathizes with your thinking. I know I do. You just can't let your frustration with somebody else's bad play dictate your play. This happens most often as you sit still, getting no cards, and watch some guy accumulate chips with nothing. You say to yourself either "I'm just going to see a flop" or "I'm going after this guy with the first decent hand I get". A lot of poker is patience. What this guy offered you was a chance to crush him in the right situation. It was your job to find that good opportunity.

[/ QUOTE ]

a very good trick I use early in tournies is to go look at the stats (www.officialpokerrankings.com) of obvious bad players who are getting lucky..you will see that while the bad play seems to get rewarded in the short term they are actually losing large amounts of $$$$ over any decent sample...patience and saving the moves for when the blinds and antes punish idiots are the ways to win these crapshoots

Rottersod 11-05-2007 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you confused about SB's play? It seems like a perfectly good play from a suited 43 in the SB if he had a plan to push a flop that wasn't coordinated. He knows that if MP's had a really good hand they would have come over the top pre-flop and he's just putting you on the kind of hand you have. Fold. No reason to think your AK is all that strong here.

ssnyc 11-05-2007 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you confused about SB's play? It seems like a perfectly good play from a suited 43 in the SB if he had a plan to push a flop that wasn't coordinated. He knows that if MP's had a really good hand they would have come over the top pre-flop and he's just putting you on the kind of hand you have. Fold. No reason to think your AK is all that strong here.

[/ QUOTE ]

perfectly good play by villan seems a bit too positive...also saying it may send the OP over the edge...villan played the hand pretty wild but I agree hero played it worst...

Rottersod 11-05-2007 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

perfectly good play by villan seems a bit too positive...also saying it may send the OP over the edge...villan played the hand pretty wild but I agree hero played it worst...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, all we have to go by is what the HH tells us. We have no insight into villains play. I do know that this is a pretty standard play against an opponent that I have a good read on so I'm giving villain the benefit of the doubt. Against an A high it's a good play, especially with a passive MP and BB and I agree with the other posters who wrote that he certainly didn't expect to be called.

MorsifiedZombie 11-05-2007 08:56 PM

Why post...and then complain when you get legit critiques. Why are you complaining about a player that calls a huge raise with slop? Put in a note and take his chips next time....

That kind of spewtardish play is easily exploitable.

But you can't take advantage until you get your S@#$ together. Listen to the advise you are getting here and stop being defensive. Your play pre and post flop stunk....per the other post....raise less...fold post

Why get mad? We all screw up.....we post here to learn...if u don't like that....u r in the wrong place.

Sherman 11-05-2007 09:03 PM

Why does this thread have posts? There are way way better threads on this forum all the time. Why aren't more people replying to them and thinking about substative questions that can make money?

This thread is really easy. The SBs shove was pretty bad. The OP's call was worse.

Sherman

hamnegger 11-05-2007 09:06 PM

12bb rai? why do you want EVERYONE to fold? then you CALL of your stack w ak? i haven't looked at the hands but i i dislike your play

Pokerfarian 11-05-2007 09:07 PM

I'm going to side with the OP here a bit. Sure, 650 is meh &amp; I'd have made it 300 preflop, but if you've got a read SB is calling anything with a huge range, then it's fine. And with a read, which was obviously correct by him flipping over 43, the flop call is okayish. I've made similar calls before. I don't like the way the OP played the hand but it isn't as bad as people are making out. And for the sake of OP's ego, I agree with him the SB played it worse.

Jetpilot86 11-05-2007 09:25 PM

I feel your pain, however...

IMHO, you over raise pf and therefore trap yourself on the flop. If he's as bad as you say he is than he'll pull that stunt with any pair or the draw he had. I'd raise the min for the situation 250 I think has been mentioned, and curse my bad luck vs the donk on the flop, then wait for a real hand to trap him with and hope he doesn't suck out then. AK is a finesse hand not a power hand once cards are on the board.

Now if I can just figure out how to keep these kind of idiots from drawing out on me when I'm 3-1 preflop, and 23-1 going to the river....

ssnyc 11-05-2007 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to side with the OP here a bit. Sure, 650 is meh &amp; I'd have made it 300 preflop, but if you've got a read SB is calling anything with a huge range, then it's fine. And with a read, which was obviously correct by him flipping over 43, the flop call is okayish. I've made similar calls before. I don't like the way the OP played the hand but it isn't as bad as people are making out. And for the sake of OP's ego, I agree with him the SB played it worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

way too nice but if it will put an end to the madness then sure...what he said