Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   November Goals, Graphs, Results Thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=536359)

jesse8888 11-01-2007 06:18 PM

November Goals, Graphs, Results Thread

I figured somebody should start this.

My goals are the same:

1. 40 hours of live 6/12
2. 1 big bet per hour

gobbledygeek 11-02-2007 11:13 AM

Re: November Goals, Graphs, Results Thread

My goal is rather modest this month: simply to have a winning month (even 1BB will do) after a couple of stinker back-to-back months.

KitCloudkicker 11-02-2007 11:16 AM

1) stop playing retardo hands OTB
2) win 40 BB which will go towards the purhase of a PS3

jesse8888 11-02-2007 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Kit, could you further define "retardo"? Also, 40*20=800 doesn't cover a PS3?

In other news, I won 21 big bets last night in just a shade over 2 hours, so for the second month in a row I am on pace for a freaking monster.

KitCloudkicker 11-02-2007 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Kit, could you further define "retardo"? Also, 40*20=800 doesn't cover a PS3?

In other news, I won 21 big bets last night in just a shade over 2 hours, so for the second month in a row I am on pace for a freaking monster.

[/ QUOTE ]

last session i played J4s after two limpers OTB. this is retarded and although i flopped two pair i really was hoping to lose the hand and teach myself a lesson (i did lose the hand so i guess mission accomplished).

well, i want a PS3, Ratchet and Clank: tools of destruction, the new Kingdom Hearts game, NBA 2K8, and gas+toll money, so maybe i need 35 BB.

gobbledygeek 11-02-2007 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

last session i played J4s after two limpers OTB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yuck! Last session my loosest hand was Q6s OTB, but after about 5 or 6 limpers so I'm thinking that was acceptable.

KitCloudkicker 11-02-2007 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

last session i played J4s after two limpers OTB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yuck! Last session my loosest hand was Q6s OTB, but after about 5 or 6 limpers so I'm thinking that was acceptable.

[/ QUOTE ]

after 5 or 6 limpers i would limp J4s OTB and not feel that bad about it.

2 limpers tho = puke

jesse8888 11-02-2007 12:05 PM

Wow. I think I need to loosen up a bit

KitCloudkicker 11-02-2007 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow. I think I need to loosen up a bit

[/ QUOTE ]

if you folded it everytime in that spot it isnt a leak. its your preference and how you comfortable you feel playing hands like that. if you asked the experts in this forum i'd say that most would prefer folding it.

ok looks like i derailed the thread, my b

Lethe 11-02-2007 01:08 PM

I'll steal Jesse's and go with:

40 hours of live $15/$30
1 BB per hour.

Oh and I want to win with top set at least once this month. Yeah, that'd be nice.

GuyOnTilt 11-02-2007 02:27 PM

To you guys making winrate goals over 1.2k samples:

wtf.

KitCloudkicker 11-02-2007 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

wtf.

[/ QUOTE ]

for me, having a goal of winning such and such helps me play better and more focused.

you dont have to meet it to have a succesful month though. and it might not be true for everyone - for some, having such a goal might make them play worse.

jesse8888 11-02-2007 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

wtf.

[/ QUOTE ]

for me, having a goal of winning such and such helps me play better and more focused.

you dont have to meet it to have a succesful month though. and it might not be true for everyone - for some, having such a goal might make them play worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

It definitely helps me play better having a specific, objective goal for the end of each month. I completely understand that for 1400 hands my actual win-rate is fairly close to meaningless. But if I set the goal 6 months in a row, it's helpful [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

chesspain 11-02-2007 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It definitely helps me play better having a specific, objective goal for the end of each month.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think that having the goal of winning "x" amount of money over a short period of time playing a high variance game leads one to play better...

...it doesn't, unless you need this goal to take the game semi-seriously and not make super retarded plays.

KitCloudkicker 11-02-2007 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

It definitely helps me play better having a specific, objective goal for the end of each month.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think that having the goal of winning "x" amount of money over a short period of time playing a high variance game leads one to play better...

...it doesn't, unless you need this goal to take the game semi-seriously and not make super retarded plays.

[/ QUOTE ]

where do you come up with this bs

like i said it varies from person to person.

and if having a goal to "win money" increases your +EV, then your goal should be "win money." that simple. if it doesnt, then you goal should NOT be to "win money," but to do something that WILL increase your EV.

but just going out and making a blanket statement like that is silly.

Frond 11-02-2007 02:58 PM

Both short term and long term goals are good for any game IMO. It can keep one more focused. For some it makes no difference I suppose. For me my long term goal is continue to make good decisions overall

bsnone 11-02-2007 02:59 PM

November Goals:

30 Hours of live 8/16 kill, 1.5 BB/hour

To learn to be more disciplined when playing Omaha/8B. I am trying to expand my game options and my Omaha 8 game is awful, I probably need to spend a few hours reading up...

Bob T. 11-02-2007 03:35 PM

Play good.
Make supernova.
Play a bunch of sitngos.

GuyOnTilt 11-02-2007 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Kit,

This might just be me not being able to be objective, but I feel that in poker (as well as others areas of life), wasting energy or thought over things completely out of my control is just that: a waste. I've spent a lot of effort into trying to rid my subconscious of these thoughts and I feel like it's made a very significant difference in my poker game, as well as being beneficial in other aspects of my life. It just creates a subtle and maybe not even conscious mindset that, imo, is detrimental to your current game and your ceiling.

There's probably also something to be said of the subconscious psychological effects of not completing a goal. I don't know a lot about this side of things, other than what I've picked up from golf, but the effects there are huge and I would tend to think the same would be true of poker to at least some extent.

Dondoh 11-02-2007 11:20 PM

Goals for November...

To quit merely lurking and reading the collected wisdom here, get over my fear of looking like the poker dunce that I am, and to jump in feet first to this poker version of Lord of the Flies (and I am pretty sure I will be playing the role of the fat kid...).

Expect an introductory post of some sort explaining my current game as I see it and then it is open season!

To win enough on a trip to Vegas later in the month to cover the cost of the trip to Vegas later in the month...

ProfessorBen 11-03-2007 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

wtf.

[/ QUOTE ]

chesspain 11-03-2007 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
where do you come up with this bs?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah...sixteen years of being a psychologist.

[ QUOTE ]
and if having a goal to "win money" increases your +EV, then your goal should be "win money." that simple.

[/ QUOTE ].

One's goal should always be to play well, not to win money. If one plays well, the money will eventually follow. I still fail to see how for the average person having a goal to win, say, 400BB in 200 hours is going cause one to play well, unless this person will play below average otherwise.

Do you think that good baseball players start hitting better because they tell themselves they want to hit .300 over the next month? Do you think that competent stockpickers start increasing their profits because they tell themselves they want to beat the S&P 500 over the next month? This shouldn't be that difficult to comprehend.

FWIW, I remember you posting in the recent past your chagrin(?) about having had a couple of small losing sessions in a row, after not having had two losing sessions in a row for nearly a month. Any good player would tell you that if you are almost never experiencing consecutive losing sessions (especially playing limit poker) then you are either:

1) Hitting and running.
2) Playing super long sessions to chase your losses.
3) In the midst of a nice heater...which is most likely when talking about a winning player, and also likely to cause one to lose sight of the relative roles of skill vs. luck in their results. If you've never had a -300BB period, you're in for an unpleasant surprise. If you have experienced a run like this, then you probably have a short memory.

[ QUOTE ]
but just going out and making a blanket statement like that is silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I agree completely with this.

MattHH 11-04-2007 01:29 PM

My goal is to play 12,000+ hands of .25/.50 with a 4+BB/100 winrate... and stop paying off chasers when they hit their draws!! doh

MattHH 11-04-2007 03:00 PM

apparently this post should have been in the microstakes. sorry!!

jesse8888 11-26-2007 07:50 PM

How's everyone doing? I just got there for my live 6/12 goals:

39.75 hours
1.7 big bets per hour

Frond 11-26-2007 09:28 PM

Well I just got there for tonight: Made a good decision and made myself a Gin & Tonic [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Seriously, I feel that I am making better decisions. The bad decisions I make I know them immediately after I make them. So I am recognizing them as well. I am still making a few dumb plays every session but not really expensive ones. Those little ones can add up so I am working on that. Starting to recognize more & more situations that arise which can work out nicely.

KitCloudkicker 11-26-2007 09:36 PM

hmm, i only made 2 really really dumb raises that i can remember. so i guess that counts a little [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

i took a shot at 20/40 and found more donks there than at 10/20. i dunno if that counts

gobbledygeek 11-27-2007 12:20 PM

Tonight will be my last game of the month. Only have to make up 5 BB to break-even for the month, not bad considering this month included my worst session ever (-68.75 BB in 5 hours).

Frond 11-27-2007 12:21 PM

Kit- how did that 20/40 shot go anyways?

KitCloudkicker 11-27-2007 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Kit- how did that 20/40 shot go anyways?

[/ QUOTE ]

up 20 BB. it was vs a bunch of donks though so not much to brag about.

jesse8888 11-27-2007 01:48 PM

My 15/30 shot was pretty much the same. I think the "everyone is retarded" axiom might hold for a lot longer than most of us think.

James. 11-27-2007 02:38 PM

well. this is great.

i'm 32 years old, about 6 foot and 210 pounds. my wife is an RN(she doesn't work; she stays home and takes care of the girls but she has the degree so i assume she's qualified) and she took my blood pressure a week or so ago. 168/106. she took it again last night(granted the steelers were playing the dolphins way closer than it should have been) and it was 170/110. went to the doctor today and it was 170/110. he freaked out that someone my age would have numbers like that(google what normal is). so now i'm on blood pressure medicine, he wants me to change my diet, no more caffeine, no alcohol, no salt, ugh! i'm thirtyfreakingtwo. geez. i also need to start exercising. i'm sure in the next day or two he'll get my cholesterol(and other blood work) back and i'll have to go low fat also.

i'm just saying this so if i suddenly disappear in the near future, you guys know what happend.

oh, by the way i thought this was the LC thread. but i just noticed this is goals, graphs, blah, blah. so my goal for next month:

change my diet! woot!

i reached my goal this last month of tripling my online roll and cashing twice. so that's good.

KitCloudkicker 11-27-2007 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well. this is great.

i'm 32 years old, about 6 foot and 210 pounds. my wife is an RN(she doesn't work; she stays home and takes care of the girls but she has the degree so i assume she's qualified) and she took my blood pressure a week or so ago. 168/106. she took it again last night(granted the steelers were playing the dolphins way closer than it should have been) and it was 170/110. went to the doctor today and it was 170/110. he freaked out that someone my age would have numbers like that(google what normal is). so now i'm on blood pressure medicine, he wants me to change my diet, no more caffeine, no alcohol, no salt, ugh! i'm thirtyfreakingtwo. geez. i also need to start exercising. i'm sure in the next day or two he'll get my cholesterol(and other blood work) back and i'll have to go low fat also.

i'm just saying this so if i suddenly disappear in the near future, you guys know what happend.

oh, by the way i thought this was the LC thread. but i just noticed this is goals, graphs, blah, blah. so my goal for next month:

change my diet! woot!

i reached my goal this last month of tripling my online roll and cashing twice. so that's good.

[/ QUOTE ]

man, sorry to hear that, good luck.

if modding this forum is spiking your BP, I would be willing to help you out on a temp basis [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

-kit "power-hungry" cloudkicker

jesse8888 11-27-2007 02:53 PM

James, watching that game last night could easily explain a 20% spike in blood pressure. I aged at least 4 years during the Bettis fumble/immaculate tackle play against the colts 2 years ago.

Seriously though...I'm 25, and when I was in college I had "high" blood pressure. In my case it was about 145-150/95-100, which while not as high as yours, was also alarming for someone who could not yet legally drink.

Now that I'm out of college I've made a big effort to exercise at least 3 times a week and eat better and my blood pressure is down 25 points, right in the heart of the bell curve. Not to mention I feel better [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. So my advice is to buy one of those portable exercise bikes and ride it while you play, and cut out the bacon and eggs [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

gobbledygeek 11-27-2007 02:56 PM

I hope poker isn't the only exercise you guys get...

I play hockey 2 or 3 times a week but other than that I don't get any exercise. I've been trying to jog once or twice a week but man jogging sucks.

GbaconforeverG

jesse8888 11-27-2007 02:58 PM

My place of employment has a nice gym where I work out. My stated deal with myself is that if I don't go to the gym, I can't go to the card room that day. This works 90% of the time [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

KitCloudkicker 11-27-2007 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

man, sorry to hear that, good luck.

if modding this forum is spiking your BP, I would be willing to help you out on a temp basis [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

-kit "power-hungry" cloudkicker

[/ QUOTE ]

oh and btw i was kidding ldo

KitCloudkicker 11-27-2007 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My place of employment has a nice gym where I work out. My stated deal with myself is that if I don't go to the gym, I can't go to the card room that day. This works 90% of the time [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow how do you have the time to work, work out, and play cards?

jesse8888 11-27-2007 03:16 PM

I don't work very hard, thats for sure. My girlfriend also owns a horse, which occupies her for, conveniently, 15 or so hours a week.

James. 11-27-2007 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My girlfriend also owns a horse, which occupies her for, conveniently, 15 or so hours a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm. interesting. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]