Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Thoughts on EA Madden series (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=536071)

supermangina 11-01-2007 11:20 AM

Thoughts on EA Madden series

I haven't bought a Madden game since 2005, opting for either FIFA, NHL, or NBA. I was a dominant player back in the day (pre 05), none of friends could challenge me. I recently visited a friend at his university and played a game of Madden 08 against one of his house mates. Needless to say I was bent over and raped. It has to be the most complicated sports game to play nowadays if your not a regular player (well maybe easier than rugby). There is way to many pre-snap options.

Has anybody else noticed this? My advice buy either FIFA08, HHL08, or NBA08...way better game play.

skindog 11-01-2007 12:41 PM

Re: Thoughts on EA Madden series

NBA 2k8 > NBA live 08, imo

4 High 11-01-2007 07:49 PM

Most EA series have seriously dropped off in quality, especially Madden and NBA. The NHL series is finally coming back up and just this year passed 2K in terms of quality.
They have a LONG ways to go with Madden and NBA.

Autocratic 11-01-2007 08:05 PM

This year was one of Madden's best IMO. Pre-snap options are exactly what football is about. I feel like stickwork should be of relatively minimal importance.

rubbrband 11-01-2007 09:41 PM

Agreed that madden has fallen off in the last few years but they always hit a slump when moving to a new system. 08 is pretty [censored] good for the 360 were as 07 kinda sucked and 06 was even worse. There are so many new features this year that it can be really overwhelming I suggest watching the tutorials.

Shoe 11-01-2007 10:02 PM

It has been all down hill since Madden '98. That game rocked!

yeotaJMU 11-01-2007 10:26 PM

uh the more they add the better it makes it... football is a complicated game. sorry you n00bs cant just throw hail mary's all day and win now

4 High 11-01-2007 10:41 PM

Yes that must be the reason we don't like it.

rubbrband 11-01-2007 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
uh the more they add the better it makes it... football is a complicated game. sorry you n00bs cant just throw hail mary's all day and win now

[/ QUOTE ]
Uhh yeah they can. Randy Moss FTW! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Shoe 11-01-2007 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would agree if the game could read your mind. They keep adding more and more and it is just not possible to take advantage of all the features, because unlike football, it is not just as simple as reading the field and reacting (with your whole body at the same time) you need to push a button for each little aspect.

Once they come out with a full-body wii suit I'll be all for it. I have no problem with adding complexity to the game, to me, it just seems they are making it way too complex (with way too many buttons to push) for the little bit of reaction time they give you -- and half of the reaction time you either can't move or spike or throw a bad pass right away because you were trying to hike the ball and the system didn't respond until you hit the button one too many times.

Maybe i'm just a moran, but I really think you need to be a super-freak to keep up with the game now.

However, I agree it is still a good game. I just think EA is just letting themselves coast off of the franchise they build in years past. It is partially the NFL's fault for not allowing any companies to compete with them to build the best football game possible (with actual NFL rosters that people most people would actually buy).

there really is absolutely minimal improvement in the game from year to year. I really feel I am pretty much playing the same exact game for the last 5+ years, just with slightly better graphics. Yet, everyone flocks out to buy it year after year.

Just my opinion of course.

JuntMonkey 11-01-2007 11:13 PM

Whatever happened to the Sony NFL Gameday games? In the late '90's they pwned all sports games...'97 and '98 both got 5 star ratings (very prestigious at the time) from Next Generation magazine.

Edit: From Wiki:

[ QUOTE ]
NFL Gameday 96 began to gain recognition as one of the Madden franchise’s biggest rivals. Gameday 97 continued the trend and was seen as a legitimate contender as the best football game of the time. When Gameday 98 was released, it was considered by many the greatest football game ever made and easily took the crown as the champion of football titles that season.

[/ QUOTE ]

The series ended when EA got the exclusive license in 2005.

littlekeed 11-01-2007 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whatever happened to the Sony NFL Gameday games? In the late '90's they pwned all sports games...'97 and '98 both got 5 star ratings (very prestigious at the time) from Next Generation magazine.

Edit: From Wiki:

[ QUOTE ]
NFL Gameday 96 began to gain recognition as one of the Madden franchise’s biggest rivals. Gameday 97 continued the trend and was seen as a legitimate contender as the best football game of the time. When Gameday 98 was released, it was considered by many the greatest football game ever made and easily took the crown as the champion of football titles that season.

[/ QUOTE ]

The series ended when EA got the exclusive license in 2005.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gameday went way down in quality on the PS2. It was the third best football game on the market, behind Madden and Sega's NFL 2K series. Considering how great each of those two were, there was no way the series could have survived. I doubt anyone really misses it either.

As for Sega's football games, that's a whole other story. I loved the Dreamcast games, and they really went out with a bang with NFL 2K5. That was probably the best football game on the market that year. It also only cost $20 which was awesome.

AceLuby 11-02-2007 11:42 AM

I really don't like the new series. It's not about reading a defense, finding the open guy and throwing anymore. Between QB vision, RB specials, lead blockers and all the pre-snap options it makes it nearly impossible to just pick up an play. '07 will be the last Madden game I buy for a while. Personally I think they peaked at '01.

yeotaJMU 11-02-2007 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't like the new series. It's not about reading a defense, finding the open guy and throwing anymore. Between QB vision, RB specials, lead blockers and all the pre-snap options it makes it nearly impossible to just pick up an play. '07 will be the last Madden game I buy for a while. Personally I think they peaked at '01.

[/ QUOTE ]

i find this to be the opposite... if your pre snap reads are wrong you WILL throw interceptions just like in real football. i dont find that it is really "so many buttons" you need to push to play the game. i like how the defense has gotten better so you can shut teams down with good play calls and such. as for the RB its basically only the right stick and its not that advanced. i really like 08 over 07 thats just my two cents

rubbrband 11-02-2007 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
08>>>>>>>>>07 fwiw

g-bebe 11-02-2007 04:39 PM

have always prefered EA's NHL08 over NHL2K8, but when it comes to football, the only 2Kx experience I had was with 2K4, and I remember it being a helluva lot better than Madden.

PITTM 11-02-2007 06:05 PM

Yeah a lot of us were talking the other day about how FIFA08 is the only game EA sports now does better than its competitors.

capone0 11-02-2007 07:06 PM

You can't possibly think that the 2k sports Football Game is better than the Madden game.

reo 11-02-2007 07:09 PM

They need to fix rocket jumping in Madden. Throwing bombs is cake . . .

grando 11-02-2007 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this might be the dumbest thing I've ever read

PITTM 11-02-2007 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can't possibly think that the 2k sports Football Game is better than the Madden game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't played this years version. It def was for awhile though.

Shadowrun 11-02-2007 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously just play blitz, if you think madden is complicated.

BillNye 11-02-2007 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It has been all down hill since Madden '98. That game rocked!

[/ QUOTE ]

98 rocked, but 08 madden XBOX VERSION ONLY is great.

Madden has always sucked on 360.

littlekeed 11-02-2007 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Before EA got exclusive rights, they were each very good, but I preferred (as did many people) NFL 2K5 over Madden 2005.

capone0 11-02-2007 09:48 PM

Have you played the 360 version the 2k6 game, it's terrible.

360 version of madden is pretty solid this year, bad the last 2 years.

NLSoldier 11-02-2007 11:38 PM

Should I get madden 08 for 360 or wii?

blackize 11-02-2007 11:52 PM

Depends. Wii madden controls are pretty sweet and it's definitely more fun to play when drinking, but the controls make presnap adjustments more difficult.

4 High 11-03-2007 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gameplay wise its not even close.

sixfour 11-03-2007 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah a lot of us were talking the other day about how FIFA08 is the only game EA sports now does better than its competitors.

[/ QUOTE ]

The new Pro Evo/Winning Eleven must really suck compared to the last six incarnations then, it's been way ahead for years and not been close

Khaos4k 11-03-2007 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to assume you don't play hockey games. NHL 08 is the best hockey game by far.

reo 11-03-2007 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The new Pro Evo/Winning Eleven must really suck compared to the last six incarnations then, it's been way ahead for years and not been close

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming you haven't played the new one. I played WE for years, the new one is utter garbage.

Check out Evo Web and PES Fan . . .

. . . many former WE players are now turning to Fifa. Seabass lied to us . . .

By the way, the last solid WE was 9 imo. I'm not an EA Sports fan boy either. I purchased NBA2K8 instead of Live and didn't buy the new Madden due to rocket jumping.

capone0 11-03-2007 11:41 PM

Who says the new WE is garbage. The reviews are pretty solid. Fifa is a pretty game, it's just doesn't have the level of depth that WE has.

reo 11-04-2007 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Who says the new WE is garbage. The reviews are pretty solid. Fifa is a pretty game, it's just doesn't have the level of depth that WE has.

[/ QUOTE ]

You seriously need to go read those forums then . . .

. . . not all over us are fan boys man. I could careless who has the better game or just go download the demo on XBL right now and check it out for yourself. I was disappointed . . .

EscapePlan9 11-04-2007 11:24 AM

Grammar nazi questions the accuracy of the statement "I could care less". It seems more likely he meant "I could not care less".

reo 11-04-2007 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Grammar nazi questions the accuracy of the statement "I could care less." It seems more likely he meant "I could not care less."

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed it for 'ya . . .