Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Health and Fitness (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   subway sandwich (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=534933)

onlinebeginner 10-30-2007 09:29 PM

subway sandwich

I just started working out regularly (3 days a week) a couple months ago... nothing crazy and i drink a protein shake during as well as after

just trying to eat healthier in general to be healthier, feel better and look better

Subway Footlong sandwich
Whole weat bread
Chicken breast
(no cheese sometimes...testing out if i notice taste difference)
Light onions
tomatos
lettuce
mayo
oil
just a little ranch

I usually eat the first 6 inches.... then wait 2-4 hours (depending on my hunger/activities) and then eat the other half

i feel like this is a fairly healthy option... but am i correct?

gimme some advice how I can improve this

tedfurlong 10-30-2007 09:48 PM

Re: subway sandwich

Double meat and drop two of the mayo ranch oil combo.

POKEROMGLOL 10-30-2007 10:42 PM

Light Mayo FTW.

GooseHinson 10-30-2007 10:56 PM

Unless you're trying to lose weight, there's nothing wrong with a little cheese, I couldn't eat one without it. Double meat is always good too.

Wolfram 10-31-2007 05:38 AM

Here's a typical lunch for me:

6" Whole wheat bread
double turkey
mustard
vinegar (I'm pretty sure this is calorie free)
All the veggies (lettuce, tomato, green peppers, red onions, black olives, pickles, jalapenos)
pepper + oregano
I'm on the fence with cheese. Sometimes I'll have it, someitmes I wont.

I wouldn't go for any kind of dressing except mustard. It's all loaded with fat or higly processed corn syrup. Light Mayo is just fooling yourself. Even though it's "only" half the fat of regular or whatever, it's still pretty awful.

I'd much rather treat myself to the real stuff once a week and stick to the mustard for the rest of the week.

If I get the foot-long I divide it over two meals like OP does.

BigCummins 10-31-2007 06:10 AM

Idk why your taking out cheese but adding mayo,oil, and ranch which are probably the highest calorie condiments you could put on there.

Wynton 10-31-2007 08:00 AM

What would be the best thing available at Subway for someone who is watching their carbs and would like to lose weight?

Wolfram 10-31-2007 08:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What would be the best thing available at Subway for someone who is watching their carbs and would like to lose weight?

[/ QUOTE ]
If you want a sub, then go for the one I posted. I don't think it gets much better than that without skipping the bread but then it's just a salad and imo you can get better salad elsewhere.

The key is getting whole wheat bread and only 6", but doubling the meat (any choice of lean cold-cuts or the grilled chicken). Also, skip all dressings except mustards and vinegar.

Wynton 10-31-2007 08:51 AM

Hey Wolfram,

Do you have any vague idea of the nutritional specifics for that particular sub? I'm perusing the Subway website, which lists some nutritional details, but doesn't account (I believe) for variations.

Subway website is here.

Under six inch double meat turkey breast, the website indicates 330 calories, 50 grams of fat, 48 grams of carbs and 28 grams of protein. But I don't know what that sub is supposed to include.

Wolfram 10-31-2007 09:14 AM

Wynton,
Check the bottom of the page:

"Subs with 6 grams of fat or less include Italian or wheat bread, lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, onions, green peppers and olives. All other sandwich values include cheese unless otherwise noted.

Salads contain meat/poultry, standard vegetables and do not include salad-dressing or croutons.

Addition of other condiments and fixings will alter nutrition values."

ledders07 10-31-2007 10:24 AM

this is OT but damn you guys in the US get so many options at subway. in the UK we get [censored] all options
vinegar, oil wtf!

entertainme 10-31-2007 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I go for the chicken breast wrap. Their wraps are 8-10 net carbs. Love it.

littlekeed 10-31-2007 01:14 PM

If I'm forced to go there I usually get a Sweet Onion Chicken. It's listed under the 6 grams of fat or less menu but I put cheese on it (I'm not cutting).

What's so bad about non-wheat bread? I really can't stand the flavor of wheat.

qdmcg 10-31-2007 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Wolfram,

Do you have any vague idea of the nutritional specifics for that particular sub? I'm perusing the Subway website, which lists some nutritional details, but doesn't account (I believe) for variations.

Subway website is here.

Under six inch double meat turkey breast, the website indicates 330 calories, 50 grams of fat, 48 grams of carbs and 28 grams of protein. But I don't know what that sub is supposed to include.

[/ QUOTE ]

This stuff doesn't really make sense to me either.

Assuming you mean 5.0 grams of fat, not 50. Still, if you do the 4 calories/gram of carb and protein, and 9 per gram of fat, the caloric estimate is closer to 350.

Also, I don't remember the specifics but a 6 inch turkey breast with wheat, lettuce, mustard is something like ~250 calories. It seems way too low of an estimate. If you look at how much bread you're eating (ie, the weight of the bread) it seems like that in and of itself should be pretty close to 250, before you add in the turkey.

onlinebeginner 10-31-2007 02:15 PM

So get double the chicken breast... good advice (don't know how much it will cost but meh i guess)

Also i get just a little oil a little mayo and barely any ranch

i could prolly cut the oil tho and just go a little mayo and a squirt of ranch

bwana devil 10-31-2007 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

youve got it backwards. use oil instead of mayo and ranch.

onlinebeginner 10-31-2007 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

youve got it backwards. use oil instead of mayo and ranch.

[/ QUOTE ]

okay thanks... i'll go light oil and barely any ranch(even just a little adds a lot of flavor)

i could prolly go extra tomatos and kick the oil actually to avoid dryness... i always thought oil was pretty good for you tho

Go HoosGo 11-15-2007 02:09 PM

Just a quick question.

Why double meat?

dethgrind 11-15-2007 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just a quick question.

Why double meat?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because most people eat too many carbs and too little protein.

Go HoosGo 11-15-2007 02:24 PM

Would it be better to eat one with the wrap instead of the wheat bread?

onlinebeginner 11-24-2007 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

? good question... thoughts?

entertainme 11-26-2007 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The wrap is 120 calories and 13 carbs.

6" wheat bread is 200 calories and 40 carbs.

ActionJeff 11-27-2007 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The wrap is 120 calories and 13 carbs.

6" wheat bread is 200 calories and 40 carbs.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored], lol

I have a 6 inch on wheat about once a week, thats really brutal, jeez. guess I will try the wrap

AcTiOnJaCsOn 11-27-2007 12:37 PM

sounds like a good healthy alternative

Machmood 11-27-2007 02:59 PM

Why not go to your local shoprite/Deli and buy sliced turkey and chicken breat, even roastbeef if you want. Buy whole wheat bread/wraps and make your own sandwich. You can controll the EXACT amounts,, and save tons of money??

Machmood 11-27-2007 02:59 PM

boars head sliced buffalo chicken breast is the [censored]!!!

demon102 11-27-2007 04:20 PM

who else luvs the southwest sauce? Nothing else compares to it. Anyone know if there is something like it that I can get at the grocery store?

edfurlong 11-27-2007 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not go to your local shoprite/Deli and buy sliced turkey and chicken breat, even roastbeef if you want. Buy whole wheat bread/wraps and make your own sandwich. You can controll the EXACT amounts,, and save tons of money??

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it's easier to go to subway when you're already out and it's pretty close to free anyway?

onlinebeginner 11-27-2007 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

2 dollars is tons of money?

onlinebeginner 11-27-2007 08:24 PM

Also wheat bread, i hear that it's better for you... is it because it has less calories and carbs, or because they are better carbs?