Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   2007 NFL half-season awards (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=534293)

Billy Bibbit 10-29-2007 11:57 PM

2007 NFL half-season awards

Now that the first half of the season is in the books, who would you give the post-season awards to at this point in the season? Here are my choices.

All-Pro Team

QB Tom Brady, Patriots
RB Ronnie Brown, Dolphins
RB Marion Barber, Cowboys
WR Randy Moss, Patriots
WR Braylon Edwards, Browns
TE Antonio Gates, Chargers

DE Aaron Kampmann, Packers
DE Kyle Vanden Bosch, Titans
DT Albert Haynesworth, Titans
DT Kevin Williams, Vikings
OLB DeMarcus Ware, Cowboys
OLB Shawne Merriman, Chargers
ILB James Farrior, Steelers
ILB Kirk Morrison, Raiders
CB Champ Bailey, Broncos
CB Rashean Mathis, Jaguars
S Bob Sanders, Colts
S Adrian Wilson, Cardinals

Offensive POY Tom Brady, Patriots
Defensive POY Bob Sanders, Colts
MVP Tom Brady, Patriots

Offensive ROY Adrian Peterson, Vikings
Defensive ROY Amobi Okoye, Texans

Comeback POY Albert Haynesworth, Titans

Coach Bill Belichick, Patriots

-These are just my opinions based on which players have impressed me personally in the 5 or 6 NFL games a week that I watch, and based on looking at a few different stats. I don't know of any good stats that measure individual defense so it's possible that my defensive All-Pro team has horrible choices. I don't know enough about offensive line play so I didn't even try to judge them.

Vyse 10-30-2007 12:01 AM

Re: 2007 NFL half-season awards

for the most part purty good, i think the arguments start at the LBs on down. chad j > edwards tho.

Tyler Durden 10-30-2007 12:05 AM

Sean Taylor >> Adrian Wilson

bottomset 10-30-2007 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nah

Nonfiction 10-30-2007 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nah

[/ QUOTE ]
Sean Taylor has 5 INTs, a forced fumble and 9 passes defended. Adrian Wilson has 2 INTs, 0 forced fumbles and 2 passes defended.

Semtex 10-30-2007 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
was thinking the same thing

Billy Bibbit 10-30-2007 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sean Taylor has 5 INTs, a forced fumble and 9 passes defended. Adrian Wilson has 2 INTs, 0 forced fumbles and 2 passes defended.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think INTs and PD's are the best way to judge a safety. My favorite safeties are guys like Sanders and Wilson who make plays all over the field, as opposed to guys like Taylor and Ed Reed who sit back in coverage most of the time but are much weaker against the run. Taylor still would've been my third if I listed three safeties, FYI.

I was hoping you guys would give your own awards instead of just picking one line from my post to bash...

Vyse 10-30-2007 01:20 AM

writing out that type of thing takes too long. easier just to comment a lil on yours.

ADLinden 10-30-2007 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
chad j > edwards tho.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

capone0 10-30-2007 01:29 AM

Willis over Okoye.

stakman1011 10-30-2007 01:31 AM

Adrian Peterson > Marion Barber

Vyse 10-30-2007 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
chad j > edwards tho.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes actually. this isn't fantasy football; no need to overrate the extra TDs edward has. chad's been the best player on a bad bengals team and palmer vs anderson is actually in anderson's favor this year, so that's not a point in edwards' favor anymore. toss in the fact that chad has been elite for a while and it's a slam dunk.

ADLinden 10-30-2007 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
toss in the fact that chad has been elite for a while and it's a slam dunk.

[/ QUOTE ]

that has nothing to do with this year

Vyse 10-30-2007 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

don't know about you but in all-star games / all-nba / etc. etc. i put value in how likely the performance is to sustain. i'm not selecting derek anderson as my pro bowl QB no matter what if there's a marc bulger (obv they're in diff conferences, it's a point) who had a reasonably comparable year but has done it many a time before. it's basically a tally of who the best players are; it's silly to purposefully restrict your view. i mean it's like saying pujols is no longer a top 5 player or something because he had an "off" year this year. still the best player in the game etc. etc.

Billy Bibbit 10-30-2007 01:41 AM

To clarify, I was posting who I think has played at the highest level during the first 8 weeks. If I were making projections I wouldn't have included Ronnie Brown (who has easily been the best RB in the NFL so far this year) because he's out for the season.

ADLinden 10-30-2007 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

don't know about you but in all-star games / all-nba / etc. etc. i put value in how likely the performance is to sustain. i'm not selecting derek anderson as my pro bowl QB no matter what if there's a marc bulger (obv they're in diff conferences, it's a point) who had a reasonably comparable year but has done it many a time before. it's basically a tally of who the best players are; it's silly to purposefully restrict your view. i mean it's like saying pujols is no longer a top 5 player or something because he had an "off" year this year. still the best player in the game etc. etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea but then its turns into some dumb popularity contest, like the mlb all star game.

I also don't agree that TDs don't count towards something, all-pros are picked by stats. Its like saying Beckett or CC won't win the CY Young this year because Johan Santana is obv the best pitcher in baseball and he should win.

SuperUberBob 10-30-2007 01:52 AM

Tomlinson and Addai best backs so far

Supwithbates 10-30-2007 02:08 AM

yeah you can't ignore LT he's #1 fantasy back of the season too despite his slow start

Vyse 10-30-2007 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Yea but then its turns into some dumb popularity contest, like the mlb all star game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, so you can't prevent your own picks from turning into a popularity contest? Okay. Sorry about that.

I can, though.

[ QUOTE ]
I also don't agree that TDs don't count towards something, all-pros are picked by stats. Its like saying Beckett or CC won't win the CY Young this year because Johan Santana is obv the best pitcher in baseball and he should win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, so now the goal is to predict the faulty selections the actual selectors will make?

Okay. You can do that. I'll just pick who I think are the best choices irrelevant of what actually happens.

ADLinden 10-30-2007 02:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, so you can't prevent your own picks from turning into a popularity contest? Okay. Sorry about that.

I can, though.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, so now the goal is to predict the faulty selections the actual selectors will make?

Okay. You can do that. I'll just pick who I think are the best choices irrelevant of what actually happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

meh w/e arguing over whos like 2nd or 3rd seems dumb....im probably just being a homer anyways

d10 10-30-2007 03:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was hoping you guys would give your own awards instead of just picking one line from my post to bash...

[/ QUOTE ]

If my list differed significantly from yours I would do this but I think it's pretty good for the most part. I'll just make a case for Sean Taylor again. He's way improved from the last couple years, the same athletic ability but much more disciplined this year, and it's made a huge difference.

I'll also make a case for London Fletcher at ILB. Last year the Redskins defense was terrible (31st in YPG, 32nd in YPP, 27th in PPG, 32nd in turnovers), and that was with a much better offense to help them out. He's been the biggest upgrade this year and I think the only reason that defense isn't in the bottom half of the NFL again. He's all over the field involved in almost every play, run or pass. 67 tackles, 7 PDs, 2 INTs and a fumble recovery through 7 games.

Vyse 10-30-2007 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He's been the biggest upgrade this year

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a poor reason to argue for someone. DUCY?

battschr 10-30-2007 06:36 PM

Sanders might be the best choice for DPOY, I don't know. But every time I see Tennessee play, Haynesworth is just freaking dominant.

Pudge714 10-30-2007 06:42 PM

Rbs are something like this
Brown > Westbrook > Peterson > Barber > Addai > Tomlinson
Projecting for the rest of the season it is probably
Tomlinson > Westbrook > Barber > Peterson > Addai > Brown
Not positive for Tomlinson on the last one and I could be overrating him. Regardless he is prob better than AP and Addai

Fonkey123 10-30-2007 06:45 PM

Derek Anderson needs to win something :-P

edit Waiver Wire Wonder Award ftw

vixticator 10-30-2007 09:13 PM

Offensive line getting a lot of love here imo.

Billy Bibbit 10-30-2007 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not that I don't appreciate the importance of offensive line play, I just don't consider myself qualified to judge who the best guys are, and I really hate when people spout off on things they don't know about so I don't do it. I can tell which teams have the best O-lines but sometimes it's hard to single out different players on the same line.

kyro 10-30-2007 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not that I don't appreciate the importance of offensive line play, I just don't consider myself qualified to judge who the best guys are, and I really hate when people spout off on things they don't know about so I don't do it. I can tell which teams have the best O-lines but sometimes it's hard to single out different players on the same line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pats O-Line. All of them. I feel like Brady gets an average of 30 seconds to find an open receiver.

MacGuyV 10-30-2007 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I respect that attitude. It kills me when people pretend to pay attention to individual OLmen.

Nice list - I'd definitely go w/ Addai over Barber.

mogwai316 10-30-2007 09:41 PM

Mentioned already: Westbrook, Taylor

Here's a few that haven't been mentioned that I think deserve strong consideration:
Osi Umenyiora
Jason Witten
Nick Barnett
Trent Cole
Barrett Ruud

prohornblower 10-30-2007 10:00 PM

Jauron

Belechick
Dungy

Everyone else

BadBoyBenny 11-03-2007 01:13 AM

Comeback player of the year Ben Roethlisberger

BadBoyBenny 11-03-2007 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think INTs and PD's are the best way to judge a safety. My favorite safeties are guys like Sanders and Wilson who make plays all over the field, as opposed to guys like Taylor and Ed Reed who sit back in coverage most of the time but are much weaker against the run. Taylor still would've been my third if I listed three safeties, FYI.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you're judging a player by the scheme he plays in. If Taylor were all over the field, he would contstantly be out of position and Washington would be giving up touchdown after touchdown over the top. Given your preferences there aren't many safeties who would qualify for consideration at the start of each season.