Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   How many 38+ vpip do you want at your table? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=532299)

solidswede 10-27-2007 12:47 AM

How many 38+ vpip do you want at your table?

I seem to do better if there is only 2 or 3 players with a vpip of 38 or higher at the table.
If it is only me and 4 or 5 players with a VPIP of 38+ I struggle.
It only seems relevant in a 5 or 6 handed game, while in a 4 handed game I do fine.

Thoughts?

MitchL 10-27-2007 01:12 AM

Re: How many 38+ vpip do you want at your table?

I generally like 5.

whodaman 10-27-2007 01:28 AM

i like 9

MitchL 10-27-2007 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i like 9

[/ QUOTE ]

I do also, but this is a sh forum.

Adebisi 10-27-2007 02:15 AM

Ideally I want the 3 on my right to be >38 and the 2 on my left to be <24.

Oink 10-27-2007 07:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you dont believe that regardless of what kind +38vpip guys we are talking about.

You want as many idiots at your game. It will always be more profitable to have a 40/0 guy to your left than a 24/17 guy. He is gonna make more mistakes.

Obviously you dont want too many 40/30 guys to your left as they will make life hell for you.

Also, anyone who think that players with vpip +38 are bad by definition. Think again!

Leader 10-27-2007 08:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, anyone who think that players with vpip +38 are bad by definition. Think again!

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my first thought. Table full of 40/20/1.5/38 guys. Nah I think I'll pass.

Adebisi 10-27-2007 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you dont believe that regardless of what kind +38vpip guys we are talking about.

You want as many idiots at your game. It will always be more profitable to have a 40/0 guy to your left than a 24/17 guy. He is gonna make more mistakes.

Obviously you dont want too many 40/30 guys to your left as they will make life hell for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know many 38+ VPIP aren't that bad, but regardless of how tough they might play postflop, I'll make money from them when I have position. It would be nice to have some 40/0 retarded guys on my left, but I don't think that's very realistic these days. A guy with a ~40 VPIP is much more likely to be 40/25 and a pain to deal with postflop. I'd definately rather have a 24/17 on my left than a 40/25. Especially when I have players that are too loose on my right, since I'd like to isolate them as much as possible.

Kobecarter 10-28-2007 10:08 AM

Yesterday i had 5 Fish on a 30/60 6max table. The flop was almost always 3-5 handed and average vpip was 63.
the pots are huge and variance is quite high with this type of players.

Do you guys think its more profitable than let's say 3 retards to your right and 2 TAGs to your left?

Oink 10-28-2007 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you guys think its more profitable than let's say 3 retards to your right and 2 TAGs to your left?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your long term winrate at a table is determined by the sum of mistakes your opponents make. Substituting players who makes a lot of mistakes with players who makes fewer mistakes can never ever be good - unless you suck at adjusting.

disjunction 10-28-2007 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your long term winrate at a table is determined by the sum of mistakes your opponents make. Substituting players who makes a lot of mistakes with players who makes fewer mistakes can never ever be good - unless you suck at adjusting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely true, and I agree with your point.

But one possible small exception to note is that when the guy on your left cold-calls you a little too much, it is possible that his mistake takes from both of your equities and passes them to the blinds.

Oink 10-28-2007 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely true, and I agree with your point.

But one possible small exception to note is that when the guy on your left cold-calls you a little too much, it is possible that his mistake takes from both of your equities and passes them to the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

ya good point.

Victor 10-28-2007 05:50 PM

theres quite a few situations where opponents combined mistakes hurt your expectation. combined outs, pooling effect, etc.

Adebisi 10-29-2007 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is too simplistic, and it overlooks the value of position and "schooling".

Say you're in a 6-max game with a horrible loose passive player on your immediate right.

The LP open limps (as he often does) and you raise with a wider-than-usual range. Would you rather have the players behind you fold, cold-call, or 3-bet with hands like JTo, Q9s, 44, A7o, K9s, 87s, KTo. If the players behind are inclined to get involved, and you adjust by tightening up your isolation standards, you will win less from the huge fish than you could have if the players behind you were tighter. If you keep your isolation standards the same, you will be stuck playing lots of very marginal hands in ~4 way raised pots out of position.

When players behind you get involved, they inflate the pot (making loose post-flop play by the player(s) on your right more correct) and take equity away from you. They also negate your positional advantage.

Players that are really bad will obviously be putting money in your pocket no matter where they sit, but players behind you that are too loose, but only kind of bad, will definately detract from how much you can make off a big fish sitting on your right, without contributing enough to your earn to make up for it.

Here's another way to look at it: Say having the button postflop in worth X BB/100. If a player cold-calls or 3-bets 50% of your raises, he will cost you money unless he figures to lose at least 1.5X BB/100 to you.

EDIT:

I just noticed you were talking about opponents making mistakes rather than just being too loose. In that case I agree with you. Assumiung something around 30/20 is optimal for a particular game, I want the too loose guys on my right and the too tight guys on my left. When I said I want tighter players on my left, I don't mean standard 30/20 tough-playing TAGs. I mean weak/predictable 23/17 "TAGs".

vmacosta 10-29-2007 02:00 AM

this is such a dumb speculative argument. Just go through a large db and filter for games with 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 high vpip fish. Compare winrates. Disjunction already did that for us in another thread in this same forum ~ 1 month ago.