Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Wii has sold more than we thought (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=531752)

Nicholasp27 10-26-2007 08:12 AM

Wii has sold more than we thought

Sites like nexgenwars.com have wii currently at 12 million sold. However, according to Nintendo, as of September 30 this year, 13.17 million were sold. So it's closer to 15 than 12 right now.

I think they'll have maybe 4 million more shipped by end of year, so they should hit 19 million before the end of the year (unless they are really trying hard to get 20 mil made)

On their 1 year anniversary, they should have already broken the 17 million console mark!

4 High 10-26-2007 09:04 AM

Re: Wii has sold more than we thought

So? We knew they were on top. Why does this matter so much to you? Why don't you make a post on the Wii's horrible attachment rate and the fact that outside of the "Big 3" They have no other games coming soon worth getting.

Side note - I have a Wii and have been playing it more lately, but by far it gets the least play out of my 3 systems.

Nicholasp27 10-26-2007 09:18 AM

well, for one it should silence people that say "nintendo is purposefully keeping stock low to keep demand high"...the fact is that they are shipping unprecedented volumes of consoles...nobody has shipped this many in such a short period of time...and they have done it in year one with a low rate of failure...so they are not holding back stock

and it's only 11 months into the wii...besides mario, mario kart, brawl, batallion wars coming out soon, there are also 3rd party titles like no more heroes, medal of honor heroes 2 (better controls than metroid and 32-player online), manhunt 2, gh3, winning eleven, rayman 2, re: umbrella chronicles, star wars (with light sabers), geometry wars, ghost squad, nights, call of duty 4 and more that we don't yet know about

and those are just for 'gamers'

people who like 'non-hardcore' games will also enjoy many other games like wii fitness and mini game collections and now they are starting to release edutainment software for the 4-8 year old segment

Nicholasp27 10-26-2007 09:23 AM

btw, let's stop yet ANOTHER lie about the wii

the wii has a 5:1 attach rate...66 million software sold for 13 million consoles (plus over 7 million vc games sold, which aren't counted in that number) {as of sept 30th}

it also has 8 titles that are million sellers so far, with metroid to join that as soon as it releases in europe/australia...and of course galaxy and brawl and mario kart are all guaranteed million sellers...360 only has 11 so far in much more time, and the xbox only got 7 million selling titles (ps3 has 2)

additionally, 360 only has 2 titles that sold 2mil+, while wii already has 4, and mario/brawl/kart and maybe metroid will all hit 2+ as well, bringing the total to at least 7-8 soon

btw, "And the Wii now has the highest software attach rate of any platform since 1996." (disclaimer: not sure if just talking about Japan or worldwide tho)

scotchnrocks 10-26-2007 09:25 AM

cute thread, the title even has a pun in it lol!!1!!!!

MrWookie 10-26-2007 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
btw, let's stop yet ANOTHER lie about the wii

the wii has a 5:1 attach rate...66 million software sold for 13 million consoles (plus over 7 million vc games sold, which aren't counted in that number) {as of sept 30th}

it also has 8 titles that are million sellers so far, with metroid to join that as soon as it releases in europe/australia...and of course galaxy and brawl and mario kart are all guaranteed million sellers...360 only has 11 so far in much more time, and the xbox only got 7 million selling titles (ps3 has 2)

additionally, 360 only has 2 titles that sold 2mil+, while wii already has 4, and mario/brawl/kart and maybe metroid will all hit 2+ as well, bringing the total to at least 7-8 soon

btw, "And the Wii now has the highest software attach rate of any platform since 1996." (disclaimer: not sure if just talking about Japan or worldwide tho)

[/ QUOTE ]

What 8 Wii titles are million+ and 2M+ sellers? Source? What about for the 360, etc?

Nicholasp27 10-26-2007 11:10 AM

from wiki:

Wii Sports (11.58 million) (packaged with system in all regions [9.5 million bundled],[52] except Japan [2.08 million sold])[53]
Wii Play (4.49 million)[54]
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (3.61 million)[54]
Mario Party 8 (2.89 million)[52]
Wario Ware: Smooth Moves (1.82 million)[54]
Super Paper Mario (1.25 million)[54]
Rayman Raving Rabbids (1 million)[55]
Red Steel (1 million)[55]

360:
Gears of War (4 million)[16]
Halo 3 (3.3 million in US)[17]
Crackdown (1.5 million)[18]
Perfect Dark Zero (1.5 million)[19]
Call of Duty 2 (1.4 million)[20]
Saints Row (1.4 million shipped)[21]
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition (1.4 million)[22]
Dead Rising (1.3 million)[22]
Madden NFL 07 (1.1 million in US)[23]
Dead or Alive 4 (1 million)[24]
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter (1 million)[23]

ps3:
Resistance: Fall of Man (2 million)[98]
MotorStorm (1 million)[99]

jalexand42 10-26-2007 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
from wiki:

Wii Sports (11.58 million) (packaged with system in all regions [9.5 million bundled],[52] except Japan [2.08 million sold])[53]
Wii Play (4.49 million)[54]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol at including these. Wii Play is a $10 game and it blows.

astroglide 10-26-2007 11:25 AM

does the attach rate include wii sports (free) and wii play ($10 w/second controller)?

Nicholasp27 10-26-2007 11:28 AM

they are still games that are sold

wii sports is included free in most regions, but in regions where it isn't, almost everyone who buys a wii buys wii sports

if it wasn't bundled then it still would have sold over 6 million

but fine, take ALL bundled wii sports (9.5mil) and ALL wii play (4.5mil) and you still have 62 million software for 13 million consoles = 4.77:1 attach rate

so it drops the attach rate by .3:1

so no matter what you can't say the wii has "horrible attachment rate" when it has best in 11 years in at least japan (where wii sports is NOT bundled so all sales of that there are actual sales where people paid for them)

Jeremy517 10-26-2007 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but fine, take ALL bundled wii sports (9.5mil) and ALL wii play (4.5mil) and you still have 62 million software for 13 million consoles = 4.77:1 attach rate

so it drops the attach rate by .3:1

[/ QUOTE ]

66 million minus 14 million is 52 million, not 62 million.

Nicholasp27 10-26-2007 11:54 AM

my bad; that's a 4:1 ratio

so drops it by 1

ThaSaltCracka 10-26-2007 12:00 PM

I like the Wii, but will probably never buy one. NP, you are kind of annoying man.

Finally, it seems like Sony is being left in the dust here.

AceLuby 10-26-2007 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Finally, it seems like Sony is being left in the dust here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last year at this time the 360 had only 6 million boxes sold (11 mos after launch), compared to 5.5 million PS3's sold in the same timeframe.

Granted the 360 had a huge jump during Q4 last year during the holidays that will be hard for Sony to match, but as far as the system goes it is barely behind the 360 in sales for the first 11 mos. IMO they are doing REALLY well for only having a few good games.

Nicholasp27 10-26-2007 12:11 PM

sorry if u find me annoying, but if i'm not here posting about the fallacies others say, then who will?

people continually say things like "wii has horrible attach rate" when it has 4:1-5.5:1, depending on what u consider for the criteria

and people continually say it's a 'kiddie' console or a 'casual' console even tho it has manhunt2, the most mature game ever released on a console and there are plenty of hardcore games in the pipeline (again, only out 11 months)

Nicholasp27 10-26-2007 12:12 PM

ps3 also had a higher price point and had to deal with competing with wii and 360, while 360 was cheaper and didn't have to deal with any competition

so ps3 selling almost as fast as 360 is quite a feat and bodes well for it...ps3 may well be the 2nd console this gen behind the wii

Duke 10-26-2007 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sorry if u find me annoying, but if i'm not here posting about the fallacies others say, then who will?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably nobody, until it ever actually mattered.

Nicholasp27 10-26-2007 12:18 PM

does 99% of what we post about on 2+2 actually matter?

AceLuby 10-26-2007 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
does 99% of what we post about on 2+2 actually matter?

[/ QUOTE ]

Teh internets r serious bizness [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

PITTM 10-26-2007 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
according to Nintendo, as of September 30 this year, 13.17 million were sold. So it's closer to 15 than 12 right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

wait, what?

AceLuby 10-26-2007 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ps3 also had a higher price point and had to deal with competing with wii and 360, while 360 was cheaper and didn't have to deal with any competition

so ps3 selling almost as fast as 360 is quite a feat and bodes well for it...ps3 may well be the 2nd console this gen behind the wii

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, but to count them out and declare the 360 the clear winner in these console wars is short sighted. The last system wars went on for 5+ years and we are ending year 1 for 2 systems and year 2 for one.

If people remember the same things were said about the PS2 during launch. "It's too expensive", "It's too hard to program for", "There aren't any great games out for it"... sound familiar? Look at it now w/ it's huge library of games 7 years later. In all honesty I look forward to the exclusives on both machines and have the utmost confidence that great games will be produced on both machines.

Nicholasp27 10-26-2007 12:32 PM

they have sold 13.17 as of september 30th...it's been a month since then so close to 2 million more likely sold, so closer to 15 million than 12 million

MrWookie 10-26-2007 12:33 PM

I'm surprised Madden 07 is so low on the 360 list, and that 08 isn't even on it. In some of the monthly reports that Dire has posted, Madden was putting up some truly ridiculous sales numbers.

Nicholasp27 10-26-2007 12:35 PM

madden 08 will likely have 1 million very soon...those numbers are likely from september 30th, shortly after the game came out

scotchnrocks 10-26-2007 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
madden 08 will likely have 1 million very soon...those numbers are likely from september 30th, shortly after the game came out

[/ QUOTE ]

You're leaving out several million plus sellers for the 360. A quick search confirmed Madden 08 sold almost a million in the first month for the 360, and it is already over a million. Forza 2 and Bioshock are also over a million currently. I could probably find more. Last month the 360's software sold 3 times as much software as the Wii and PS3 combined.

AceLuby 10-26-2007 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're leaving out several million plus sellers for the 360. A quick search confirmed Madden 08 sold almost a million in the first month for the 360, and it is already over a million. Forza 2 and Bioshock are also over a million currently. I could probably find more. Last month the 360's software sold 3 times as much software as the Wii and PS3 combined.

[/ QUOTE ]

ummmm.... you don't think 3 Mil copies of Halo 3 had anything to do w/ this do you?

Nicholasp27 10-26-2007 02:02 PM

scotch, the post u quoted stated that it was month-old data and thus leaving out madden

360 had 8 as of September 30th...it likely has at least one more now (madden)...

scotchnrocks 10-26-2007 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

ummmm.... you don't think 3 Mil copies of Halo 3 had anything to do w/ this do you?

[/ QUOTE ]

sure it did, but the month before that Madden 08 outsold the top 4 wii titles combined...the point is that every time something good comes out for the 360, which is something like every other month, it absolutely crushes everything in sales

scotchnrocks 10-26-2007 02:17 PM

Madden 08 360 is at 1.1 million
http://adultgamingenthusiasts.com/blogs/...-000-units.aspx

I was wrong about Bioshock, but it will be at 1 mil by Christmas

Nicholasp27 10-26-2007 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Last month the 360's software sold 3 times as much software as the Wii and PS3 combined.

[/ QUOTE ]

btw, u do realize that u are using US-only data this statement...so xbox software isn't selling as much better as you are representing since it's doing much worse in Japan and not doing nearly as well in europe/australia/south america/etc as in the US

Autocratic 10-26-2007 02:23 PM

Why are gamers so pissy about their favorite console being the best? Can't we all just hug it out and admit that we're all geeks in this thing together?

scotchnrocks 10-26-2007 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Last month the 360's software sold 3 times as much software as the Wii and PS3 combined.

[/ QUOTE ]

btw, u do realize that u are using US-only data this statement...so xbox software isn't selling as much better as you are representing since it's doing much worse in Japan and not doing nearly as well in europe/australia/south america/etc as in the US

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, so a more expensive console that essentially requires an HDTV is not selling as well as a much cheaper console that does not require an HDTV in countries where consumers have less disposable income. Stop the [censored] presses.

Nicholasp27 10-26-2007 03:09 PM

i'm solely saying that it isn't accurate to state things like 360 software outsold wii+ps3 by 3x in september when that is US-only numbers

u can give excuses all day long for why sales aren't as good, but your statement "360 software outsold wii+ps3 software 3 to 1 in september" is not accurate

ThaSaltCracka 10-26-2007 03:57 PM

I am more impressed by US SALES numbers. I mean, they still make PS2 games in Europe. Nintendo products always killed in Japan, so no surprise there either.

I really don't understand why this is Wii v Everything else, with you. Wii is cool. I like the system, as do lots of people. Its cheaper than all the other ones. However, I won't buy one because I like my 360, and I like the video quality of the 360. I don't see why this is such a big deal for you.

blackize 10-26-2007 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I really don't understand why this is Wii v Everything else, with you. Wii is cool. I like the system, as do lots of people. Its cheaper than all the other ones. However, I won't buy one because I like my 360, and I like the video quality of the 360. I don't see why this is such a big deal for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

The real question is why do YOU care? If Nick wants to post about how the Wii is kicking ass and that idea offends you, don't read his posts. I for one am happy that he posts these things, especially the game updates because it lets me hear about things that I may not have known about otherwise.

Keep up the good work Nick.

AceLuby 10-26-2007 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am more impressed by US SALES numbers. I mean, they still make PS2 games in Europe. Nintendo products always killed in Japan, so no surprise there either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Personally I'm most impressed by Mexican sales numbers...

Also, they still make PS2 games here...

ThaSaltCracka 10-26-2007 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The real question is why do YOU care?

[/ QUOTE ] Why? because its unneccesary clutter. I don't see why this whole debate has to be about convincing people which system is best. Its retarded and counterproductive reading a debate constantly bashing the other systems.

"Wii sells more units than 360"
"well 360 sold a ton last month"
"Wii is popular in Asia and Europe"

Who gives a [censored], sales don't equal best, any moron realizes that. People will buy whatever they please, for whatever fits their personal life best. I don't see why this always has to be a debate. Why don't you people just mention the positive and negatives and leave it at that.

Secondly, I care about US sales of a product because I live in the US. The sales success of a system here has a direct impact on the type and quality of games available here.

scotchnrocks 10-26-2007 04:26 PM

Now that we have all of these sales numbers squared away, let's talk about the actual quality of the games.

According to the site Metacritic, which averages the reviews of reputable game sites, the Xbox 360 has 80 titles with a review score of 80 or higher compared to just 11 for Wii. Moving up to 90 or above, we see that the 360 has 9 games compared to 3 for the wii.

http://www.metacritic.com/

Do you think any of the games for the wii even have a shot at game of the year?

AceLuby 10-26-2007 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Secondly, I care about US sales of a product because I live in the US. The sales success of a system here has a direct impact on the type and quality of games available here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your logic is flawed. If 360 sold 10 Mil systems and 9 Mil in US, but the PS3 or Wii sold 1 Mil systems here, but still 10 Mil worldwide there would be zero impact on the quality. Maybe the type, as you'd get differing styles because there would be a worldwide market, but I don't see that as a bad thing.

blackize 10-26-2007 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why? because its unneccesary clutter.

[/ QUOTE ]

This forum doesn't get much traffic and these threads are very easy to ignore if you wish to.

[ QUOTE ]
Its retarded and counterproductive reading a debate constantly bashing the other systems.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then don't read it!

The solution to your complaints is so simple and doesn't require moderator action or censorship! Just don't read threads that don't interest you.