Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Californians fires (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=531737)

MidGe 10-26-2007 07:20 AM

Californians fires

As I watch the news, here, in Australia, my thought go to all those people that have lost their houses and possessions (and some indeed their lives or loved ones lives) in California those past days.

I was disturbed by also being forced to watch President Bush promise (another promisee, another lie) those Californians that they will not be forgotten in Washington and that help was forthcoming.

Assuming that President Bush was not lying, a big ask, I understand, what would make those Californians different from the many from New Orleans that are still waiting, regardless of even the international support and donations that that catastrophe generated?

DblBarrelJ 10-26-2007 07:31 AM

Re: Californians fires

[ QUOTE ]
As I watch the news, here, in Australia, my thought go to all those people that have lost their houses and possessions (and some indeed their lives or loved ones lives) in California those past days.

I was disturbed by also being forced to watch President Bush promise (another promisee, another lie) those Californians that they will not be forgotten in Washington and that help was forthcoming.

Assuming that President Bush was not lying, a big ask, I understand, what would make those Californians different from the many from New Orleans that are still waiting, regardless of even the international support and donations that that catastrophe generated?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing. Californians are also unfortunate enough to have one of dumbest governors in America, so they're pretty much screwed. And you people wonder why most 2+2ers don't trust the government.

adios 10-26-2007 07:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got some exciting news for you, your contributions are welcome here:

Bush-Clinton Katrina Fund

I'm happy that you're contributing. As far as feds ignoring people in need of Katrina relief, first time in history that spending $127 billion amounts to ignoring disaster victems plight.

The Big Easy’s Billion Dollar Boondoggle

Here’s a pop quiz: How much money has Uncle Sam spent on New Orleans and the Gulf region since Hurricane Katrina ripped the place apart?

I’ll give you the answer because you’ll never guess it. The grand total is $127 billion (including tax relief).

and

Perhaps all this money should’ve been directly deposited in the bank accounts of the 300,000 people living in New Orleans. All divvied up, that $127 billion would come to $425,000 per person! After thanking Uncle Sam for their sudden windfall, residents could head to Southern California and buy homes that are now on sale thanks to the sub-prime mortgage crisis and bid up the sagging house prices in the state.

MidGe 10-26-2007 08:16 AM

Genuinely interesting post, adios, no sarcasm intended.

I am a bit dubious about whom got in receipt of the $127 billions. Maybe like the Iraq war costs it goes to Bush and his cronies.

I do seem to remember that some foreign monies got returned. I didn't get mine back, and I know people who have lost all and need it the most, albeit not any longer in New Orleans didn't get their "fair" share.

Anyway I'll try to check out what went to the people renting rooms and surviving from music in New Orleans, etc..

InTheDark 10-26-2007 08:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
James Madison is the acknowledged father of the constitution. In 1794, when Congress appropriated $15,000 for relief of French refugees who fled from insurrection in San Domingo to Baltimore and Philadelphia. James Madison wrote disapprovingly, "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
In 1854, President Franklin Pierce vetoed a popular measure to help the mentally ill saying, “I cannot find any authority in the Constitution for public charity.” To approve the measure "would be contrary to the letter and the spirit of the Constitution and subversive to the whole theory upon which the Union of these States is founded.”

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
During President Grover Cleveland’s two terms in office, he vetoed many congressional appropriations, often saying there was no constitutional authority for such an appropriation. Vetoing a bill for relief charity, President Cleveland said, “I can find no warrant for such an appropriation in the Constitution, and I do not believe that the power and duty of the General Government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering which is in no manner properly related to the public service or benefit.”

[/ QUOTE ]

Their misfortune is no Constitutional entitlement to my treasure, a long forgotten truth.

MidGe 10-26-2007 08:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Their misfortune is no Constitutional entitlement to my treasure, a long forgotten truth.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, we know where to place you on he scale of empathy for others.

I am presuming that you are part of a real minority in the US. Of course there is a lot of evidence that shows that you may not be part of such a minority after all!

manbearpig 10-26-2007 10:17 AM

Semi off topic, but I thought is was kind of funny. Radio bit this morning had a fake Gov Schwarzenegger on talking about the fire.

One of his lines was "dont worry, President Bush has assured me that the War on Fire is just beginning."

MiloMinderbinder 10-26-2007 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Empathy has nothing to do with fact.

Fact: The US Constitution does not authorize the federal govt to seize assets to relieve individual suffering. The Constitution makes no prohibition on state and local govts from taking action or from individuals giving freely on their own accord, however.

Americans have shown over and over again to be extremely generous in helping each other and those around the world following a disaster without needing their contributions coerced from them by force.

pvn 10-26-2007 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, midge, I thought you said government was so awesome. Now you're telling me that politicians lie, and actually won't help you when you need it???

wtfsvi 10-26-2007 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wait, midge, I thought you said government was so awesome. Now you're telling me that politicians lie, and actually won't help you when you need it???

[/ QUOTE ] He personally believes that this only applies US American politicians ldo.

vulturesrow 10-26-2007 11:19 AM

I thought this was the Politics forum, not the "Midge Displaying His Pathological Hate of Bush" forum?

AlexM 10-26-2007 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Californians are also unfortunate enough to have one of dumbest governors in America

[/ QUOTE ]

Did they replace Arnold with someone? At an IQ of 135, he's not a genius, but calling him dumb is... dumb.

AlexM 10-26-2007 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, most statists see all the problems with government. They just lump them all on their opposition as being their fault and not the fault of the "good" politicians.

DblBarrelJ 10-26-2007 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Californians are also unfortunate enough to have one of dumbest governors in America

[/ QUOTE ]

Did they replace Arnold with someone? At an IQ of 135, he's not a genius, but calling him dumb is... dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love this argument. If I had time, I would post pages and pages of links to stories to prove the point, but, I must go to work.

Arnold may have a high IQ, but that does not automatically mean he makes smart day to day decisions in ruling the People's Republic of California.

Arnold on Freedom of Speech

Arnold Forcing Gun Companies To Submit

Those two took less than a minute to find.

I'll post more later if needed to prove my point.

-J

AlexM 10-26-2007 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Arnold may have a high IQ, but that does not automatically mean he makes smart day to day decisions in ruling the People's Republic of California.

[/ QUOTE ]

And making bad decisions and even being a terrible governor does not make one "dumb."

Bedreviter 10-26-2007 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was disturbed by also being forced to watch President Bush promise

[/ QUOTE ]

Im pretty sure they dont force people to watch the news even in Australia. You were not forced to watch Bush, you chose to watch him so you could twist and turn anything he said to reinforce your view of him as an egoistic evil man. Choice and force is quite the opposite you see.

[ QUOTE ]
I am a bit dubious about whom got in receipt of the $127 billions. Maybe like the Iraq war costs it goes to Bush and his cronies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wonderful. Now you got some numbers that indicate the level of commitment the US government has in the New Orleans area after Katrina, but in stead of admitting that you were blowing hot air out of your ass in your previous post you put the focus on an uneducated guess that the money goes to Bush and "his cronies".

Sure, why bother about reacting to facts when its much more fun to make up ideas and facts that supports your wrongful understanding of the situation. When people you have decided that you do not like do what you want them to do you choose to rather make some retarded assumptions about them being corrupted, that way you done thave to challenge your little brain to try to understand that the world is not all black and white.

Reminds me of a comedy skit I saw a few years ago on norweagian television about 2 members of a nazi group: Person A: I read somewhere that 90% of immigrants cannot read, and 85% are living on welfare. Person B: Wow, where did you read that? Person A: I read it in something I had written myself. Person B: Very well written!

DblBarrelJ 10-26-2007 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And making bad decisions and even being a terrible governor does not make one "dumb."

[/ QUOTE ]

OK. Fine. You win. He "Makes Bad Decisions".

I don't want to get into a semantics war.

BTW, I've got desk duty today, so I may be slow or very quick in responding, depending on how things are running at the moment.

jogsxyz 10-26-2007 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

-J

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who disagrees with you is dumb by definition?

DblBarrelJ 10-26-2007 02:20 PM

See Above

TomCollins 10-26-2007 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No Bush bashing, hmmm... Who hacked into MidGe's computer?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah there it is.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

adanthar 10-26-2007 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fact: The US Constitution does not authorize the federal govt to seize assets to relieve individual suffering.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain how Congress providing tax relief to Californians is not covered by this clause of the Constitution.

Also, please explain how disaster management expenditures (such as FEMA grants, etc.) are not covered under this clause, either.

MelchyBeau 10-26-2007 02:59 PM

A big difference in this is that for one, not alot of actual infrastructure was damaged. The roads are still fine. San Diego doesn't need to be drained of water. no bridge collapses. Although there was power line damage. So the rebuilding of actual city infrastructure won't be as expensive. Yea, the government does do stupid stuff. I live in Poway which was hit hard by the fires. San Diego County emergency had a map that said I should be evacuated, however Poway's map said I was safe.

Another thing is that the most devastated in Katrina were the poor people. Whereas in San Diego many of the burned residential areas are full of very well off people, such as Rancho Santa Fe. This is an extremely rich area where you probably aren't getting a house for under 3 to 5 mill there.

govman6767 10-26-2007 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I love this argument. If I had time, I would post pages and pages of links to stories to prove the point, but, I must go to work.

-J

[/ QUOTE ]

Microstamping is bad ?????

Getting OG's off the streets is bad???

(I understand microstamping won't get the ganstas's and gangs caught for murder)

But as years roll on and weapons improved and older weapons are phased out it will make a difference in being able to catch murderers.

iron81 10-26-2007 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain how Congress providing tax relief to Californians is not covered by this clause of the Constitution.

Also, please explain how disaster management expenditures (such as FEMA grants, etc.) are not covered under this clause, either.

[/ QUOTE ]
The "General Welfare" clause is one of the areas of the Constitution that has been interpreted in a way limiting government power. The relevant Supreme Court precedents have basically neutered this clause for purposes of expanding government power. Of course, this is one area where the libertarians aren't strict constructionists.

owsley 10-26-2007 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fact: The US Constitution does not authorize the federal govt to seize assets to relieve individual suffering.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It might be that seizing assets =/= lay and collecting taxes and duties, since the taxes would be on future economic activity which is different than seizing assets.

adanthar 10-26-2007 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It might be that seizing assets =/= lay and collecting taxes and duties, since the taxes would be on future economic activity which is different than seizing assets.

[/ QUOTE ]

...I mean, *I* agree with that, but "seizing assets" is AC code for "taxes" in every other thread in this forum, and if that's not what you meant, nobody's seized any assets.

re: iron: It's true that for freakish historical reasons, nobody bothers with this clause while shoehorning all sorts of random strained facts into the commerce clauses, but the difference is pretty moot when you consider 90% of the shoehorns tend to fit into this clause, anyway.

InTheDark 10-26-2007 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cite your evidence.

Feelings get a liberal only so far.

AzDesertRat 10-26-2007 08:51 PM

Sadly, California deals with natural disasters annually between mudslides, earthquakes, fires and other events. They have learned to deal with them as a state should and not the federal government.

Louisiana, for some reason, doesn't or didn't prepare adequately for its own type of disasters, ie hurricanes and flooding and tried to defer much of the effort to an ineffective federal government. At least they managed to show how states can't depend on Fema and other government agencies to bail them out of any emergencies.

Anyhow, the Department of Interior's mismanaged policy of putting out every fire is largely responsible for this disaster. Expect things to get worse as drought combined with decades of fire suppression and the resulting extra fuels will make these types of fires more commonplace.

NasEscobar 10-28-2007 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm happy that you're contributing. As far as feds ignoring people in need of Katrina relief, first time in history that spending $127 billion amounts to ignoring disaster victems plight.

Here’s a pop quiz: How much money has Uncle Sam spent on New Orleans and the Gulf region since Hurricane Katrina ripped the place apart?

I’ll give you the answer because you’ll never guess it. The grand total is $127 billion (including tax relief).

and

Perhaps all this money should’ve been directly deposited in the bank accounts of the 300,000 people living in New Orleans. All divvied up, that $127 billion would come to $425,000 per person! After thanking Uncle Sam for their sudden windfall, residents could head to Southern California and buy homes that are now on sale thanks to the sub-prime mortgage crisis and bid up the sagging house prices in the state.

[/ QUOTE ]
And yet there are still areas in New Orleans that look like Katrina just hit yesterday.

adios 10-28-2007 06:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and

[/ QUOTE ]
And yet there are still areas in New Orleans that look like Katrina just hit yesterday.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is the point of the article more or less. With all the government money spent in the recovery from Katrina in New Orleans the place isn't even close to being rebuilt. Kudlow says this:

So the billion-dollar question becomes: Where did the rest of that money go?

Meanwhile, according to an article by Nicole Gelinas at the Manhattan Institute, New Orleans has earned the distinct honor of becoming the murder capital of the world. The murder rate is 40 percent higher than before Katrina, and twice as high as other dangerous cities like Detroit, Newark, and Washington, D.C.

Think of this: The idea of using federal money to rebuild cities is the quintessential liberal vision. And given the dreadful results in New Orleans, we can say that the government’s $127 billion check represents the quintessential failure of that liberal vision. ...

Remember President Reagan’s line during the 1980 campaign about how LBJ fought a big-government spending war against poverty, and poverty won? Well think of all this Katrina spending as the Great Society Redux. And it failed. I suppose the current Bush administration would like to label this “compassionate conservatism.” But guess what? That failed, too.

Right from the start, New Orleans should have been turned into a tax-free enterprise zone. No income taxes, no corporate taxes, no capital-gains taxes......

Jamougha 10-28-2007 06:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How much money has Uncle Sam spent on New Orleans and the Gulf region since Hurricane Katrina ripped the place apart?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cute take all the costs of clearing up after a hurricane and then pretend it all went on lil' old Orleans.

adios 10-28-2007 06:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How much money has Uncle Sam spent on New Orleans and the Gulf region since Hurricane Katrina ripped the place apart?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cute take all the costs of clearing up after a hurricane and then pretend it all went on lil' old Orleans.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're saying the vast majority of the money was spent on other places in the Gulf region and the Federal government hasn't spent enough on New Orleans. Also your implication is that other areas of the Gulf region hit by Katrina have recovered substantially while New Orleans hasn't. Some articles that would contradict those views:

Billions have been spent to rebuild the city, but not enough is reaching the local economy. Residents wonder where the funds are being spent.

Two Years Lster, Washington Money not Getting to Those in Need

Katrina Money Remains Unspent

Perhaps we just need to have a debate on what level of spending is appropriate and are the costs justified. I note that in one of these article that the claim was made that FEMA was low balling estimates of the costs of rebuilding. Why should we be willing to believe the locals and give them a blank check?

MidGe 10-28-2007 07:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why should we be willing to believe the locals and give them a blank check?

[/ QUOTE ]

You think it is impossible to reset things back to the way they were? Is that the administration fault, or the displaced residents' one. It seems to me like a very incompetent administration whatever it tries its hands on! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Jamougha 10-28-2007 07:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

So you're saying the vast majority of the money was spent on other places in the Gulf region and the Federal government hasn't spent enough on New Orleans. Also your implication is that other areas of the Gulf region hit by Katrina have recovered substantially while New Orleans hasn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm saying that the comparison immediately appears biased and if I saw that paragraph then my BSometer would be ringing loudly. I have no idea what the money was spent on and frankly I don't care, it's your taxes not mine. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

bills217 10-29-2007 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the guy who wrote it said it doesn't?

blufish 10-29-2007 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the only reason for a post like this is to inflame. why does this guy get a pass, continually?? what a joke. what vested interest does he have in any conversation regarding an American tradgedy? uh. yeah. none.

so eeeeeeeeeeeeeeasy to sit a world away and hurl inflammatory, ridiculous statements at those incompetent, corrupt Americans.

i mean how old does this get?? mission accomplished in my case, i guess. you have managed to raise my blood pressure a bit. which is your only point in every post that you bless upon this forum.

well done.

EN09 10-30-2007 12:22 AM

and here i thought cali was burning from the hand of God.

the most unfortunate part of this whole thing is many will once again migrate into our area and commence their attempts at turning our Red State into a Blue. they did after the earthquakes back around '89 and they'll come again. we hate'em.

it'll be Brokeback Mountain all over again... dudes holding hands and swapping spit on the street corners, liberal professors and abortion lovers and yet more coffee shops.

EN

Copernicus 10-30-2007 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

the most unfortunate part of this whole thing is many will once again migrate into our area and commence their attempts at turning our Red State into a Blue. they did after the earthquakes back around '89 and they'll come again. we hate'em.

it'll be Brokeback Mountain all over again... dudes holding hands and swapping spit on the street corners, liberal professors and abortion lovers and yet more coffee shops.

EN

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, dont go too far. We need a Diedrich's in our neighborhood.

Taso 10-30-2007 12:35 AM

I don't think EN will last long here without being banned.

adanthar 10-30-2007 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Because the guy who wrote it said it doesn't?

[/ QUOTE ]

Many of those who wrote it certainly did; many others disagreed. The plain text, however, is pretty clear cut; Congress a)can regulate taxes for b)general welfare. As I said, it's been ignored in favor of the commerce clause for nutty historical reasons, but the text is very very clear on this.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who cares about the dead people and thousands of burned houses; the most unfortunate part of this whole thing is that you get to see two guys holding hands. What a disaster this must be for you [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]