Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Clock ruling at the Bellagio (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=531652)

VegasRunner 10-26-2007 03:15 AM

Clock ruling at the Bellagio

I'm in late position on the turn against one villian who started the hand in early position.

The villian checks to me. I bet $50.

As soon as I make the bet, I lower my head so the villian cannot see my eyes because I don't want him to get a read on me.

After 30 seconds of his debating the call, a woman (not one of us) calls for a clock. The villian starts complaining because it seemed awfully fast for someone to call a clock.

I continue to stare down, not wanting the villian to get a read on me.

The floorman comes over, stands behind the dealer. he asks who the clock is on. The dealer makes a motion that I don't see because I'm still staring down like a statue at the felt.

The clock runs out and the floor pushes the pot TO THE VILLIAN.

I scream, "WHOA! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?!?"

The dealer claims that the villian went all in three minutes ago and while I was staring down at the felt trying to prevent the villian from getting a read on me, I was the one who was on the clock.

I had no idea that the action was on me because the villian never put a stack out to signify his all in. The dealer claims he announced it, but 4 other players at the table are as confused as I am because they didn't hear a thing. All but two players (one was the villian) didn't know that the action was on me.

Villian takes the pot after the floor rules that my hand is dead. I'm mad because the Bellagio is loud as hell and I just didn't hear it. How was I suppose to know if he was all in if he doesn't put a stack of chips out to declare his bet?

Should I fight this one further or do I just have to let this one go?

mikech 10-26-2007 03:47 AM

Re: Clock ruling at the Bellagio

[ QUOTE ]
How was I suppose to know if he was all in if he doesn't put a stack of chips out to declare his bet?

[/ QUOTE ]
how would that have helped? you couldn't even see the dealer pointing you out to the floor.

the dealer indicated to the floorman that clock was called on you. i don't see any grounds for you to claim not to know that action was on you.

Photoc 10-26-2007 04:08 AM

Note to self, stop staring at the felt and pay attetion to the game. Players aren't getting that big a read off of you from your eyes and if they are, you're doing something wrong. Wear glasses if you're that worried about it in the future.

SDone 10-26-2007 04:22 AM

Just pay attention to what's going on.

VegasRunner 10-26-2007 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Note to self, stop staring at the felt and pay attetion to the game. Players aren't getting that big a read off of you from your eyes and if they are, you're doing something wrong. Wear glasses if you're that worried about it in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not that I wasn't paying attention.

I was wearing a hat and I was nodding my head enough so I could see the villian's hands (and therefore his action.) It's my standard position when I'm in a hand when someone is debating a call. I try to mimic it exactly whethre I'm bluffing or not as to not give anything away.

Again, if he had put a stack of chips out, I don't think I would have a leg to stand on.

As is, I think I have a pretty legit gripe.

VegasRunner 10-26-2007 04:31 AM

Doesn't the fact that 4 other players at the table were as confused as I was mean anything? It's not like the majority of the table was staring off into space (least of all me.) Myself and 4 other players were under the impression that the action was on the villian.

mikech 10-26-2007 04:44 AM

the other players are irrelevant. there are 5 ppl involved: you, villain, the woman who called clock, the dealer and floor. it seems you were the only one who didn't know where the action was.

PlzHelpMe 10-26-2007 05:09 AM

for christ sake pay attention to the game.

VegasRunner 10-26-2007 05:19 AM

so...absolutely no one is on my side. awesome. you all suck. Up ya butt wid a coconut.

Nah, j/k. Thanks for the input anyway. If I'd called, I'd have been drawing to a one-outer anyway. I'll let it go.

Al_Capone_Junior 10-26-2007 07:26 AM

Verbal declarations made in turn are binding. Even if you don't hear it. Even if it's one of your opponents.

You've been watching too friggin' much wpt on tv. People that feel the need to hide so completely from their opponents that they don't even realize it's them who's on the clock have serious issues and need to get a grip on reality. Why don't you just get a little frame mounted on your shoulders with a little shower curtain on it, this way you can just pull it around yourself anytime you're in a hand.

I have no sympathy here but if I keep going I might be able to spew forth a couple more dry heaves worth of sarcasm.

Al

Sammy430 10-26-2007 07:38 AM

Stick to the internet.

Willy 10-26-2007 09:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so...absolutely no one is on my side. awesome. you all suck. Up ya butt wid a coconut.

Nah, j/k. Thanks for the input anyway. If I'd called, I'd have been drawing to a one-outer anyway. I'll let it go.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL
OP "please give me you advice" [but it better agree with what I have already decided or you can go F**k yourself"]

bav 10-26-2007 09:02 AM

This tale does remind me that one thing I hate about Bellagio floors and a few others is they do NOT do a good job of explaining what is happening when they come over. Someone asks for a clock, the floor walks over and quickly states "you have 60 seconds to act" and then sits there like a stone as the player being clocked asks "what's that mean? What's a clock? What's going on?" and the floor actually refuses to explain and just keeps ticking. "You have 30 seconds" and the player replies "30 seconds for what? WHAT IS HAPPENING?" and finally someone explains it. At which point the floor is counting down 7, 6, 5... and the player is frantic insisting this isn't fair, stop counting, you can't do this, stop it!

The floor has an obligation to explain their procedures to people, and to be sure the player being clocked knows what's going on. Most floor people do this pretty well. Some just assume everybody is a poker pro and figure anybody asking "what's happening" is just angling for more time.

Does seem like there's something wrong that a player could have a clock called on him and not even know it.

At the same time, I'm with these other folks who say OP has been watching WAY too much TV poker.

Al_Capone_Junior 10-26-2007 09:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Stick to the internet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't play on the internet anymore, haven't for years and this is well known. Thus I post in brick and mortar. It's so simple even a regular viewer of the wpt might figure it out after a couple of decades and some coaching.

sightless 10-26-2007 09:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Stick to the internet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't play on the internet anymore, haven't for years and this is well known. Thus I post in brick and mortar. It's so simple even a regular viewer of the wpt might figure it out after a couple of decades and some coaching.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe that was for OP?
and OP what is wrong with your eyes? are you like that guy from James Bond movie or something?

Kurn, son of Mogh 10-26-2007 09:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We're not on your side because you're wrong. It is YOUR job to protect your hand and YOUR job to be aware of the action at the table.

canis582 10-26-2007 09:58 AM

http://bmwchannel.com/bb/images/smilies/vb_Kick.gif

scott1 10-26-2007 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

After 30 seconds of his debating the call, a woman (not one of us) calls for a clock.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who thinks this was actually 30 seconds? He was probably 1/2 way through an album on his ipod.

iron81 10-26-2007 10:58 AM

I'd push the pot to the villain too, but I thought the Bellagio had a rule that all-in players have to put some chips out.

Bulldog 10-26-2007 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf

mosch 10-26-2007 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Who thinks this was actually 30 seconds? He was probably 1/2 way through an album on his ipod.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a clock called on me with little delay at my last Bellagio visit. Of course in my situation it was some dumb short-stacked player who was trying to dodge a blind increase in an MTT.

That said, OP should pay more attention to his surroundings, and quit pretending that 1/2 is a WPT Championship.

SellingtheDrama 10-26-2007 11:32 AM

lol I've seen a player pull that. He bet and immediately called clock.

Best part is that the argument took long enough to get his blind into the next level.

davidlong14 10-26-2007 11:36 AM

1.) Pay attention
2.) Ignorance is no defense
3.) $50 Seems like a relatively cheap price to learn this lesson once & for all.

AngusThermopyle 10-26-2007 01:23 PM

Look at the bright side. At least your opponent was not able to get a read on you.

DeuceKicker 10-26-2007 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so...absolutely no one is on my side.

[/ QUOTE ]I'm on your side... a little bit.

Unless you're the world's greatest actor, the floor should be able to tell that you really didn't realize the clock was for you. Especially if the clock was called quickly, I don't think there's any harm in giving you an extra 30 seconds.

On the other hand, it's pretty inexcusable that there is all this stuff going on around you in a hand you're contesting and you have no clue what's going on.

mrkilla 10-26-2007 02:21 PM

if the other dude can really pick up and eye dilation tells hes not sitting at your 1/2 table bro .

I wont bust your balls like everyone else is about it but , srsly pay att your wrong for not following the action . You are responsible for your own hand, perhaps the dealer should have given you a small declaration that it was you but if you are busy in lala land of now tells i doubt you heard his verbal declaration.

In Bigger games esp NL, no one is going all in and pushing there stack in

pig4bill 10-26-2007 03:40 PM

Villain is a regular floor tipper obv.

jeffnc 10-26-2007 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Verbal declarations made in turn are binding. Even if you don't hear it. Even if it's one of your opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not true. There has to be a reasonable accepted level of volume. Otherwise you could easily just whisper something, then cover your own face, then shoot an angle because no one heard you and wait until the clock times out and scoop the pot.

Aces McGee 10-26-2007 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not true. There has to be a reasonable accepted level of volume. Otherwise you could easily just whisper something, then cover your own face, then shoot an angle because no one heard you and wait until the clock times out and scoop the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't work if literally no one hears you.

-McGee

Taso 10-26-2007 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if the other dude can really pick up and eye dilation tells hes not sitting at your 1/2 table bro .

I wont bust your balls like everyone else is about it but , srsly pay att your wrong for not following the action . You are responsible for your own hand, perhaps the dealer should have given you a small declaration that it was you but if you are busy in lala land of now tells i doubt you heard his verbal declaration.

In Bigger games esp NL, no one is going all in and pushing there stack in

[/ QUOTE ]

The bolded parts put me on life tilt. I'm having a bad day in general, but this definitly made it worse.

mrkilla 10-26-2007 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The bolded parts put me on life tilt. I'm having a bad day in general, but this definitly made it worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

ahh n ur from the city of bro <3 2

srry cuz

Taso 10-26-2007 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ahh n ur from the city of bro <3 2
srry cuz

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhhhh!

PowerRangers 10-26-2007 08:21 PM

If the only person that here's the all-in declaration is the dealer...let's say villain whispers "all in," shouldn't the dealer announce the action? Most tables I play at the dealer announces "bet" or "raise" when a player makes such an action. This would prevent such confusion.

I had one situation in a cheap Vegas tournament during which I thought action was on another player (3 handed action). One player had bet, another folded, but I thought he hadn't folded yet. I sat there playing with my chips for a good 2-3 minutes before I realized action was to me. Nobody said anything, guess they thought it was a tough decision (it was an easy fold). I looked up, realized it was my turn, looked at my cards, and mucked. Nobody was the wiser!

RR 10-26-2007 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most tables I play at the dealer announces "bet" or "raise" when a player makes such an action. This would prevent such confusion.

[/ QUOTE ]

As you go up in limits it will become more likely that the players will tell the dealer to STFU if he tries to announce the action.

Al_Capone_Junior 10-26-2007 11:04 PM

I alway announced bet or raise in all games, even high limit ones. However, if the entire table agreed they did not want the action announced I would oblige.

If any player told me to stfu, or decided to rudely tell me to ignore what is clearly standard procedure, they would have very sore nuts in very short order.

SNOWBALL 10-26-2007 11:12 PM

isn't it the floor's job to make sure that you are aware there is a clock on you?

Al_Capone_Junior 10-27-2007 12:28 AM

Yes, the floor should make it quite clear that you have a clock on you. Bellagio's floors definitely do a poor job of explaining things when they make decisions. I'm not saying all their floors suck, but there is not much of a culture of explaining/clarifying/making sure everyone is happy and comfortable amongst their staff. They really drop the ball when it comes to making new players feel comfortable (floors and dealers alike miserably fail at this at bellagio). Although the floor perhaps didn't make it very clear about the clock, and the dealer didn't announce the all-in very well (or at all?), I still have zero sympathy for op on this one.

SNOWBALL 10-27-2007 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, the floor should make it quite clear that you have a clock on you. Bellagio's floors definitely do a poor job of explaining things when they make decisions. I'm not saying all their floors suck, but there is not much of a culture of explaining/clarifying/making sure everyone is happy and comfortable amongst their staff. They really drop the ball when it comes to making new players feel comfortable (floors and dealers alike miserably fail at this at bellagio). Although the floor perhaps didn't make it very clear about the clock, and the dealer didn't announce the all-in very well (or at all?), I still have zero sympathy for op on this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

zero sympathy????? jesus man. calm down. The dealer, the floor, AND the villain all contributed to this mess.

RR 10-27-2007 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

zero sympathy????? jesus man. calm down. The dealer, the floor, AND the villain all contributed to this mess.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is hard to tell how much the dealer, floor, and villain contributed. The only account we have is from someone that covered his eyes so he couldn't see the dealer or floor.

SNOWBALL 10-27-2007 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is hard to tell how much the dealer, floor, and villain contributed. The only account we have is from someone that covered his eyes so he couldn't see the dealer or floor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, so now you wanna give your own version of this and call OP a liar? WTF? I am just responding based on the info given. Are you privy to a more authoritative account?

I think it's pretty clear from villain's account that he saw everything except didn't look villain or anyone else in the face. No one addressed him at ANY point in the hand, so it's not like he ignored anyone. You can't just kill someone's hand like this. Villain is a POS for allowing this to happen. The woman who called the clock is also a scumsucker.

Are you just in a bad mood or are you actually this sour?