Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   PokerFink's 2007 NFC Rankings (Week 7) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=530555)

PokerFink 10-24-2007 07:10 PM

PokerFink\'s 2007 NFC Rankings (Week 7)

Disclaimer: My rankings are NOT a traditional power rankings. They are projective, meaning we are ranking based on where teams will finish. Rankings are done based on the playoff guidelines, meaning the division winners get the top four seeds. For a full explanation, please see this post. Also, when I list a team's NFL rank, it's based on DVOA unless otherwise noted.

</font>[/b]<font color="blue"> 1. DALLAS (6-1) </font><font color="red"> </font>: Who's been the best rusher so far this year? Adrian Peterson? Ronnie Brown? Westbrook? Addai? All good candidates, but it might just be Marion Barber. Barber is finally getting more carries than the far inferior Julius Jones, and he's having an outstanding season. 5.7ypc, 5 touchdowns, 0 fumbles, an excellent 53% success rate and he leads the league in DPAR. Even if you add in receiving, Barber is still ahead of everyone except the injured Ronnie Brown in total DPAR. <font color="purple"> NEXT: Bye.

</font>
<font color="blue"> 2. GREEN BAY (5-1) </font><font color="red"> </font>: In the early rankings, I wrote a lot about Aaron Kampman and the outstanding Green Bay front seven. While they have been good, they haven't been as good as I expected, ranking 10th in adjusted line yards and 13th in adjusted sack rate. The secondary has surprisingly outplayed the front seven. <font color="purple"> NEXT: @ Denver.

</font>
<font color="blue"> 3. TAMPA BAY (4-3) </font><font color="red"> </font>: Last week we wondered how Tampa Bay ranked so high in offensive DVOA despite a low output of yards and points. Well, part of it is pace, which should be a familiar idea to anyone who follows basketball. The Bucs have only 71 drives, a low total for a team who hasn't had their bye week. They rank 13th in yards per drive and 16th in points per drive, both of which are better than their traditional rankings. The second part of it is the lack of turnovers - Garcia still hasn't thrown a pick all season, although the Bucs do fumble a lot. That second part haunted them this week, as Garcia fumbled at the Detroit 37 yard line and then again at the 1 yard line. <font color="purple"> NEXT: vs. Jacksonville.

</font>
<font color="blue"> 4. SEATTLE (4-3) </font><font color="red"> </font>: Getting rid of Darrell Jackson was supposed to make room for DJ Hackett, but instead he caught one ball before getting hurt in week 1 and has been out since. Instead, it's been a big year for Bobby Engram, who's caught an outstanding 68% of his passes and is 8th among wide recievers in DPAR. <font color="purple"> NEXT: Bye.

</font>
<font color="blue"> 5. NEW YORK (5-2) </font><font color="red"> </font>: Great comment from the FOX broadcasters this week: Brandon Jacobs has the second most rushing yards in NFL history for a man his size. The leader? Daunte Culpepper. Jacobs had a huge game this week, ripping off 5-7 yards seemingly every time he touched the ball for a total of 107 on just 18 carries (5.9ypc). <font color="purple"> NEXT: @ Miami.

</font>
<font color="blue"> 6. WASHINGTON (4-2) </font><font color="red"> </font>: There were two bright spots this week for Washington. One was their free agent acquisition London Fletcher, who had 13 tackles, 2 pass defenses, an interception and a touchdown. The second was that they won, which is remarkable since they were outgained by more than 200 yards. <font color="purple"> NEXT: @ New England.

</font>
<font color="blue"> 7. DETROIT (4-2) </font><font color="red"> *UP 2* </font>: Hi, I'm Mike Martz. Hi, I'm a running game. Nice to meet you running game. Kevin Jones and TJ Duckett combined for 106 yards on 19 carries (5.6ypc) while Calvin Johnson added 32 more yards on his first NFL carry. Sprinkle in some luck (Detroit recovered all three fumbles in the game) and losses by Philly and Arizona, and the Lions roared back into playoff contention. <font color="purple"> NEXT: @ Chicago.

</font>
<font color="blue"> 8. CAROLINA (4-2) </font><font color="red"> *UP 2* </font>: Quite a productive bye week for the Panthers, who moved into first place in the NFC South and might get David Carr back this week. Although it's questionable whether that second one is actually a good thing. <font color="purple"> NEXT: vs. Indianapolis.

</font>
<font color="blue"> 9. ARIZONA (3-4) </font><font color="red"> *DOWN 2* </font>: Kurt Warner returned, and while his final numbers weren't too bad (27/41 - 282 - 2 - 2), he put the Cards in a huge hole early with two interceptions. Both picks were awful throws that went directly to Skins players, and both picks led directly to Washington touchdowns and a 14-0 lead. <font color="purple"> NEXT: Bye.

</font>
<font color="blue"> 10. CHICAGO (3-4) </font><font color="red"> *UP 2* </font>: 7 of 11 completions, 97 yards, 1 minute, 43 seconds, 1 touchdown. And with that drive, Brian Griese ends the Sexy Rexy era in Chicago. Oh, how I'll miss the dragon. <font color="purple"> NEXT: vs. Detroit.

</font>
<font color="blue"> 11. PHILADELPHIA (2-4) </font><font color="red"> *DOWN 3* </font>: They have a great offensive line (when Winston Justice isn't playing). They have a great running back. They have an excellent back-up running back. They have a good-enough defense. So what's the problem? Quarterbacking (erratic) and playcalling (downright stupid). As an Eagles fan, it pains me to say it, but McNabb and Reid (and probably Mornhinweg as well) are holding this team back right now. <font color="purple"> NEXT: @ Minnesota.

</font>
<font color="blue"> 12. MINNESOTA (2-4) </font><font color="red"> *DOWN 1* </font>: To put it bluntly, Tavaris Jackson is not an NFL caliber quarterback. In college he only completed 55% of his passes, and he didn't even go to a D-I school. His quarterback rating this year is below 50. So is his completion percentage. His DPAR is significantly negative and ahead of only Trent Dilfer, Rex Grossman and Josh McCown. And it's a shame, because with a solid defense and Adrian Peterson, the Vikings could be good. <font color="purple"> NEXT: vs. Philadelphia.

</font>
<font color="blue"> 13. NEW ORLEANS (2-4) </font><font color="red"> *UP 1* </font>: Who Dat That Runs For a Touchdown? It's Pierre Thomas! Ok, seriously, who the [censored] is Pierre Thomas? <font color="purple"> NEXT: @ San Francisco.

</font>
<font color="blue"> 14. SAN FRANCISCO (2-4) </font><font color="red"> *DOWN 1* </font>: The Niners gained over 200 yards this week for - get this - just the second time all season (the other was in their week 3 loss to Pittsburgh). Even the anemic Bills offense has accomplished this four times, and they even had a game with over 300 yards. NFL average is about 330 yards per game, a number the Niners haven't gotten anywhere close to all year. <font color="purple"> NEXT: vs. New Orleans.

</font>
<font color="blue"> 15. ATLANTA (1-6) </font><font color="red"> </font>: Atlanta is already in full tanking mode, releasing veteran defensive tackle Grady Jackson this week. Jackson was the best player on their defensive line, and perhaps the best player on their entire team. When coach Bobby Petrino said, "It had nothing to do with anything but football," cornerback DeAngelo Hall responded, "They can probably cut me too... they need to cut all 53 of us." Hall might be an overrated punk, but he's right - his management is tanking the season and he knows it. <font color="purple"> NEXT: Bye.

</font>
<font color="blue"> 16. ST. LOUIS (0-7) </font><font color="red"> </font>: It took me a while, but I came up with something positive for the Rams. Punter Donnie Jones averaged 52.3 yards on his six punts this week, and has averaged 50.5 yards for the season, which ranks second in the NFL behind everyone's favorite roided punter Todd Sauerbrun. <font color="purple">[b] NEXT: vs. Cleveland.

PokerFink 10-24-2007 07:12 PM

Re: PokerFink\'s NFC Rankings (Week 7)

Poll Time

69sofine 10-24-2007 07:16 PM

cj's 2nd carry actually

mmbt0ne 10-24-2007 07:20 PM

Grady Jackson was let go because he refused to practice during the week and wouldn't follow the scheme. He got beat for being out of position as often as he made a big play. And he sued the team in the offseason. Someone needed to be made an example since docking DHall $100k didn't do it.

Franchise 60 10-24-2007 07:21 PM

Pretty spot on stuff, good job. There isn't that much room for interpretation in the rankings imo, maybe except for the bottom half.

Out of curiosity how would you rank the top 5 regardless of division winners?

Mine would go:
1. Dallas
2. NYG
3. GB
4. Wash
5. TB

stormstarter28 10-24-2007 07:24 PM

Why is SF a choice for worst team? Is that a joke?

lastchance 10-24-2007 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
1) MOV.
2) SOS.

PokerFink 10-24-2007 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's nothing funny about it. You can make a very good statistical argument that they're the worst team in the league.

PokerFink 10-24-2007 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Out of curiosity how would you rank the top 5 regardless of division winners?

[/ QUOTE ]

God that's tough. Right now, I'd put it:

1. Dallas
2. New York
3. Green Bay
4. Tampa Bay
5. Washington

Dallas is clearly #1 no matter how you slice it, but the other four are all really close. It's really more like Dallas, and then I think New York, and then a 3-way tie.

New York is playing great, but they had that slow start so they're last in DVOA. The other three are all very close in DVOA. Tampa is best in DVOA (excluding Dallas) but they've had an easy schedule and are last in Sagarin. Packers are best in Sagarin (again exc. Dallas), the others are really close and are actually 9-10-11. It's a clusterfuck.

Semtex 10-24-2007 07:44 PM

Giants take the division due to easier schedule, including games against Miami, Buffalo and New England backups. Never count on this team totally falling apart though. Dallas is a better team.

Lol at whoever thinks Carolina takes that division with that schedule.

Also, you still think the Saints are going to end up the 4th worst team in the NFC? You think they'll end up behind Carolina, because the Panthers are getting QB maestro David Carr back? They have an easier schedule than the Vikings and are a better, more rounded team. I'm not sure if they are better than the Eagles but they have an easier schedule for sure. It seems to me if you keep moving them up one spot week after week as they are beating the likes of the 49ers and the Rams while the other teams are losing you really aren't projecting anything at all.

PokerFink 10-24-2007 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Grady Jackson was let go because he refused to practice during the week and wouldn't follow the scheme. He got beat for being out of position as often as he made a big play. And he sued the team in the offseason. Someone needed to be made an example since docking DHall $100k didn't do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cut for not following the scheme? He plays defensive tackle. If a defensive end rushes upfield with umpunity (like, say, Freeney) you can abuse it with the right plays. If a defensive tackle is getting great upfield push, it's a good thing, not a bad thing. Unless he's doing ridiculous stuff like stunting when he's not supposed to, how is he out of position?

kyro 10-24-2007 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, you still think the Saints are going to end up the 4th worst team in the NFC? You think they'll end up behind Carolina, because the Panthers are getting QB maestro David Carr back?

[/ QUOTE ]

I"m guessing he thinks the Saints will finish behind Carolina because the Panthers have a 2 game lead on them.

lastchance 10-24-2007 07:48 PM

Carolina is 2 games up. That's the big reason.

They're not better than the Eagles.

They're not better than the Vikings either.

hoyasnaxa 10-24-2007 07:49 PM

I would move Seattle and Arizona way down.

Just kidding everyone. I agree with this list completely.

The Armchair 10-24-2007 07:49 PM

I think Detroit makes the playoffs and AZ wins the West.

Semtex 10-24-2007 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, you still think the Saints are going to end up the 4th worst team in the NFC? You think they'll end up behind Carolina, because the Panthers are getting QB maestro David Carr back?

[/ QUOTE ]

I"m guessing he thinks the Saints will finish behind Carolina because the Panthers have a 2 game lead on them.

[/ QUOTE ]
The hardest game the Saints have left is home against Jacksonville, the next hardest is either at Houston, at Carolina, or at Chicago.

Carolina has Indy, Dallas and Seattle at home and home, and Tennessee, Jacksonville, Green Bay and Tampa on the road. Lol at a 2 game lead meaning anything.

PokerFink 10-24-2007 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, you still think the Saints are going to end up the 4th worst team in the NFC?

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, so far, they have been the 4th worst team in the NFC. Why are they going to improve?

[ QUOTE ]
You think they'll end up behind Carolina, because the Panthers are getting QB maestro David Carr back?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they'll end up behind Carolina because Carolina is 4-2 right now and the Saints are 2-4. And because Carolina is better.

[ QUOTE ]
They have an easier schedule than the Vikings and are a better, more rounded team. I'm not sure if they are better than the Eagles but they have an easier schedule for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

No they aren't. Minnesota is 15th in DVOA and 16th in Sagarin. New Orleans is 26th and 23rd. And they're definitely not better than the Eagles (13th and 13th).

[ QUOTE ]
It seems to me if you keep moving them up one spot week after week as they are beating the likes of the 49ers and the Rams while the other teams are losing you really aren't projecting anything at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

They haven't even played the 49ers or Rams [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img].

Anyway, they flip-flopped back and forth a little with Atlanta, then they beat them, so now they're definitely ahead of Atlanta. And it's become inreasingly apparent that they're better than San Fran, so they jumped them this week as well. It's pretty hard to make an argument that they're any better than where they are.

Semtex 10-24-2007 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They haven't even played the 49ers or Rams [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img].

Anyway, they flip-flopped back and forth a little with Atlanta. And it's become inreasingly apparent that they're better than San Fran, so they jumped them this week as well. It's pretty hard to make an argument that they're any better than where they are.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is what I'm saying. There is no thought to the future in your rankings. They haven't played 9ers or Rams yet, but they will, and they should win easily. Neither Carolina, nor the Eagles, nor the Vikings have these kinds of luxuries left in their schedule, while the Saints have a few.

From what I understand your rankings are supposed to be projective, showing where the teams will end up. There is nothing projective that I have seen. You aren't factoring in strengths of schedules at all, you are merely rehashing Sagarin and other performance based power rankings. Carolina would have to be way better than the Saints to maintain a two game lead given the disparity between the teams they have to play vs who the Saints have to play. I don't think they are that much better. To "project" the Panthers as behind the Saints when they are actually behind instead of when they were two games ahead is pretty weak in my book.

PokerFink 10-24-2007 08:14 PM

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/playoffodds.php

MEAN WINS

CAR: 8.3
DET: 8.0
ARI: 7.8
Minny: 7.3
Philly: 7.1
Chicago: 6.7
NO: 6.5

MY RECORD PREDICTIONS

CAR: 8-8
ARI: 8-8
DET: 7-9
CHI: 7-9
PHI: 6-10
MIN: 6-10
NO: 6-10

I mean, seriously, wtf, it is predictive and they're right where they should be.

Nonfiction 10-24-2007 08:17 PM

Fink please to be not making us wait so long for these rankings, my f5 key is almost broken.

Also, very good rankings. Pretty much shows perfectly the horrible state of the NFC currently.

hoyasnaxa 10-24-2007 08:23 PM

I think the Giants are a real team to watch now. That defensive line is unstoppable. In the playoffs that line could make any QB have an awful game, so I could see them doing something.

Unfortunately Eli is their QB.

Semtex 10-24-2007 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/playoffodds.php

MEAN WINS

CAR: 8.3
DET: 8.0
ARI: 7.8
Minny: 7.3
Philly: 7.1
Chicago: 6.7
NO: 6.5

MY RECORD PREDICTIONS

CAR: 8-8
ARI: 8-8
DET: 7-9
CHI: 7-9
PHI: 6-10
MIN: 6-10
NO: 6-10

I mean, seriously, wtf, it is predictive and they're right where they should be.

[/ QUOTE ]
man honestly put away the stats for two seconds. 6 games is not a great sample to predict anything. if you took just their last two games those stats would paint a drastically different picture. minus stats, from what you have seen of Carolina and NO, and what you know of their remaining schedules, do you really think the Saints won't at least tie them? [censored] there is probably a better than 50/50 chance that they will be tied in 3 weeks, cause NO has to play SF, JAX, STL, while Carolina has to play Indy, Tenn and ATL

CardSharpCook 10-24-2007 08:39 PM

So Philly is discounted not because you don't think they are better than Det,Chi,Ari,Car, but because they'll likely finish worse? Basically, your power rankings at this point of the season list teams in order of W/L? Despite Chicago's win last week, I'd still rather face any of those teams ranked 7-10 than Philly.

Semtex 10-24-2007 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Basically, your power rankings at this point of the season list teams in order of W/L?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the point I was trying to make.

CardSharpCook 10-24-2007 08:49 PM

Sem,

I look at NO and Car's schedules and see about 4 wins for each of them. As for the next three weeks, I see NO as 2-1, and Car as 1-2. Do you think Car is going to lose a home game vs. Atl? This weekend's game in SF doesn't have to go well for the Saints either. Then they play Jax at home which should be a loss. I can't see them being tied in 3 weeks. The 50/50 I see is whether the two teams maintain their current gap or NO gains a game.

Franchise 60 10-24-2007 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the Giants are a real team to watch now. That defensive line is unstoppable. In the playoffs that line could make any QB have an awful game, so I could see them doing something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eli has played much much better this season. He still turns the ball over too much obviously, but a bunch of those have been off dropped/deflected balls.

Regardless, he is the 3rd or 4th best QB in the NFC this season, I know that isn't saying a ton, but he has def. improved if you have watched all the games.

Billy Bibbit 10-24-2007 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
man honestly put away the stats for two seconds. 6 games is not a great sample to predict anything. if you took just their last two games those stats would paint a drastically different picture. minus stats, from what you have seen of Carolina and NO, and what you know of their remaining schedules, do you really think the Saints won't at least tie them? [censored] there is probably a better than 50/50 chance that they will be tied in 3 weeks, cause NO has to play SF, JAX, STL, while Carolina has to play Indy, Tenn and ATL

[/ QUOTE ]

Better than 50/50? Really? There's a better than 50/50 chance that NO beats SF AND NO beats STL AND Carolina loses to Indy AND Carolina loses to Tenn AND either NO beats Jax or Carolina loses to Atlanta? Maybe you should get the stats back out again.

Semtex 10-24-2007 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sem,

I look at NO and Car's schedules and see about 4 wins for each of them. As for the next three weeks, I see NO as 2-1, and Car as 1-2. Do you think Car is going to lose a home game vs. Atl? This weekend's game in SF doesn't have to go well for the Saints either. Then they play Jax at home which should be a loss. I can't see them being tied in 3 weeks. The 50/50 I see is whether the two teams maintain their current gap or NO gains a game.

[/ QUOTE ]
i realized my mistake right after i posted that. i was only accounting for a 1 game lead.

EDIT i give the saints 5-6 wins and carolina 2-3 depending on whether the saints can win in carolina.

Spellmen 10-24-2007 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's nothing funny about it. You can make a very good statistical argument that they're the worst team in the league.

[/ QUOTE ]

This depends on how you'd define worse. I don't think SF is the worst team by any measure, but I can certainly see the argument for it. I would judge it somewhat by talent and future. The SF offense is abysmal, but the defense has been pretty good. They've got some pieces on offense, whereas Miami is just a complete disaster minus a decent Oline now that Ronnie Brown is gone.

I'm obviously biased since I'm a SF fan. I'm curious what you think about the Niners going forward Fink. I don't get to see them a lot since I'm stuck with D&amp;E in State College, and haven't been able to catch any non televised games on certain web outlets, but their Oline seems like such a disaster. To be honest, I thought this would be a strong point coming into this season, but it appears that Larry Allen has completely fallen off. I know you mentioned him before, but what do you think of Jennings? I'm really hoping Staley develops, because they're pretty [censored] giving up a top 10 pick to NE, and are probably getting back something in the 26+ range from Dallas. I'm also pretty skeptical that Smith has what it takes to run the team. I see him developing into a pretty average NFL starter, but don't really see anything more than that. I'd love to hear otherwise, but am pretty sure that's accurate.

This season really sucks for me, in past 49er down years I at least took some joy in following the Eagles as a sort of bandwagoner, but all I look forward to now is more Testaverde starts [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Apologies for the really rambly post

Macdaddy Warsaw 10-24-2007 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Um...Eli isn't at least a competent QB now? He's definitely not making anywhere near as many stupid mistakes as he used to...

Semtex 10-24-2007 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Um...Eli isn't at least a competent QB now? He's definitely not making anywhere near as many stupid mistakes as he used to...

[/ QUOTE ]
variance lol

capone0 10-24-2007 09:49 PM

Eli was pretty good last year until Toomer got hurt.

Triumph36 10-24-2007 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
variance lol

[/ QUOTE ]

no, no quite.

his completion percentage is up. he is a young quarterback, after all - sometimes they do improve!

amazing really, when you think about it

eli's not going to be great or anything but last year isn't his peak

hoyasnaxa 10-24-2007 10:14 PM

eli still blows obv

Triumph36 10-24-2007 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
eli still blows obv

[/ QUOTE ]

obv

do you call in to sports talk radio to give your opinions or just listen to it to have them handed to you?

xorbie 10-24-2007 10:46 PM

Eli seems to me to be the most underrated QB in the NFL.

hoyasnaxa 10-24-2007 10:46 PM

haha, ive watched him play, he still kills you on the plays where he absolutely cannot make a mistake. hes not putting up good numbers either. whats your argument, that they are winning? yes he hasnt completely blown the games, but that doesnt make him good.

Franchise 60 10-24-2007 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
haha, ive watched him play, he still kills you on the plays where he absolutely cannot make a mistake. hes not putting up good numbers either. whats your argument, that they are winning? yes he hasnt completely blown the games, but that doesnt make him good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually his picks havn't been killing us, and he his ALOT more accurate than he has been in prior seasons. He has a lot of picks, but he also has the same amount as Carson Palmer and Tony Romo. Hes also 4th in the league in TD's, and played well in our two losses.

If you "watch" all the games, its easy to see he looks a lot more comfortable out there, and is making a lot more of his throws. In the past he'd have a ton of just complete misses on passes, but this year he has been on point except for the couple mistakes he makes a game.

There is no doubt he has improved, and he is one of the more underrated QB's in the game because so many people still [censored] on him because they think its the funny thing to do. You hear more "lol eli" jokes than you do with other QB's.

Not to mention hes still only in his third full year starting.

Franchise 60 10-24-2007 11:07 PM

Carson Palmer: 62.9 % 1717 yds 13td 9 int
Eli Manning: 60.2% 1525 yrds 13 tds 9 int

That isn't THAT far off from the 3rd best QB in the leagues numbers.

And in Peyton Mannings 4th season he has 26 tds and 23 int't. In his 5th season he had 27 tds and 19 ints. I would be very surprised if Eli didn't finish with more than 26 tds and less than 23 int's.

Now I'm not saying Eli is as good as his brother, he isn't. But he hasn't been afforded the leeway that other young QB's have been given when it comes to interceptions and making mistakes.

This guy threw for 50 td's and had two playoff trips in his first two seasons starting, and his improving a lot, and he still continues to get hated on.

PokerFink 10-24-2007 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm curious what you think about the Niners going forward Fink.

[/ QUOTE ]

The main problem I have with San Fran that their playcalling is predictable and way too passive. I don't know if it's Mike Nolan or the offensive coordinator, but they don't even try to have a vertical passing game. And I'm not talking bombs, they won't even throw a fifteen yard crossing pattern. Every pass is short over the middle or into the flat.

And when they get third and long, which is often, they don't even try to get the first down. They just dump it off, gain four yards and punt. Try a gadget play, try maxprotect, try something!

As for Alex Smith, I think you will be lucky if he turns into even an average starting QB.

So, yeah, going foward I'd say they're pretty [censored]. Maybe the Chargers will fire Norv and they can bring him back to be the OC and help Smith. But they need a ton of help on offense and they don't have the picks to get it. They need help on the line, they need a lot of help at reciever, and even if they get that, their QB is still Smith.