Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Full Ring (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Full Ring 101 Questions - N00Bs ask here (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=530468)

diebitter 10-24-2007 05:23 PM

Full Ring 101 Questions - N00Bs ask here

okay, ripping off the 'get your N00b out' thread in microstakes NL and giving it a new name to look vaguely original, here we go.

Got a question you think is too noobish to ask?

Afraid your post will get locked because it's stupid?

Think you've got a frequently asked question that isn't in the FAQ?

Then post your noob questions - as silly as you think they might be - in this thread.

This thread is reserved for ON TOPIC questions only. This is not "Ask FR Regs Anything."

All regulars are invited to answer, but respectfully and appropriately. Save your asshat for OOT or bbv4life or something.

If regs don't answer any one question, I ask the FR mods to step up and take a stab at whatever it is.

Okay, GO!

bottomset 10-24-2007 05:30 PM

Re: Full Ring 101 Questions - N00Bs ask here

[ QUOTE ]
All regulars are invited to answer, but respectfully and appropriately. Save your asshat for OOT or bbv4life or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

cound me out then

MrBump 10-24-2007 05:41 PM

OK, Noobie question from me ( I have no shame!)

Multi-tabling - I am a winning player at $10NL and $25NL and feel comfortable playing one or two tables, and am trying to get to 4 tabling, so as to play more hands per hour (obv)

I have the kit for it - a Samsung 204B (1600 x 1200) screen so can have up to 4 tables with no overlap, but my results have been pretty meh, to say the least. I can keep up with the action, but I'm not sure where I'm supposed to be focusing my attention IYSWIM, and have trouble filtering out unecessary info.

Is this standard at first or should this be easy ? I know so many posters play 8-12 screens with little trouble. I'd be happy playing 4 tables....

Any tips plz ?!!

TIA

Cry Me A River 10-24-2007 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this standard at first or should this be easy ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Standard. It's all just practice. Consider adding tables the same as moving up. It's going to take at least as long to get comfortable as it would if you started playing $50NL. And you can't automatically expect to pwn right away.

Once you get up around six or eight, it gets a lot less difficult to add tables but while you're still playing one or two for most people it takes some practice.

You also might want to give stacking tables a try:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...age=0&vc=1

Effen 10-24-2007 05:52 PM

Standard, after a few thousand hands you will acclimate. Action moves slowly enough that 4 and probably up to 6 should be absolutely no problem with enough practice.

m bozeman 10-24-2007 05:56 PM

Explain to me an easy way to get a hand history, and then actually post it in a thread.

Thanks.

pattay 10-24-2007 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Explain to me an easy way to get a hand history, and then actually post it in a thread.

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you play at stars, click the top left corner of the table the hand was on where it says game and under that previous with ahnd numbers following each, find your hand, copy and paste

if you wanna convert it so it looks pretty theres links in the FAQ

King Spew 10-24-2007 06:01 PM

Do you have PT?
What site do you play on?

m bozeman 10-24-2007 06:05 PM

Yes, pokertracker, pokerstars. I seem to have a hard time getting the hand history onto two plus two. Thats the main question.

QTip 10-24-2007 06:07 PM

http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php

Be sure to change the format in the drop down box to 2+2

Split Suit 10-24-2007 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, pokertracker, pokerstars. I seem to have a hard time getting the hand history onto two plus two. Thats the main question.

[/ QUOTE ]

find the hand in Pokertracker (ring stats page)
click on the hand number, and the hand text will pop up in a window within Pokertracker
copy this text
go to www.legopoker.com/hh
paste text in the area
click "covert hand(s)"
copy that text
paste into 2p2
cut off results, or any other info that wud skew results
good to go

m bozeman 10-24-2007 06:12 PM

Thanks alot, i'll give it a try.

Cry Me A River 10-24-2007 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To get a hand history from Stars, click on the hand history numbers in the upper left hand corner:

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/2...istory1lq9.jpg

This will cause this window to pop-up:

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/8...istory2qq1.jpg

You can highlight, cut and paste the hand history like you would text from a text file.

Cry Me A River 10-24-2007 06:19 PM

BTW - I prefer the Legopoker hand history converter because it defaults to converting for 2+2:

http://www.legopoker.com/hh/index.php

Every once in a while you'll see a hand posted that's a screwed up. That's because they forget to set the output for 2+2. With Legopoker's you don't have to worry about that.

Even moreso, in the past the FTR converter used to at least stay set for 2+2 once you put it there. Now it resets every time you converter a hand and you have to remember each time to set it back. Which is a big PITA.

chip-star 10-24-2007 06:21 PM

Attainable winrates from $25-$200nl 12 tabling, and what how would your vpip/prf change as you move up?

Thx

m bozeman 10-24-2007 06:22 PM

Thanks, CMAR.

SayGN 10-24-2007 06:36 PM

Yes, I'd also like an opinion on attainable winrates, especially for 25NL and 50NL. Is 8 or 9 ptbb/100 out of the question?

Split Suit 10-24-2007 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Attainable winrates from $25-$200nl 12 tabling, and what how would your vpip/prf change as you move up?

Thx

[/ QUOTE ]

at 50nl (where i put i the bulk of my hands 12tabling), 5PTbb/100 is very attainable for a good player.

i run at 12/7/4 (attmpt2steal around 22%, go2SD around 20.5%).

when i play 100nl, i loosen up naturally for some odd reason (16/8.7/4).

hope that helps a lil

MrBump 10-24-2007 06:43 PM

Thanks CMAR and Effen for the help - I appreciate it

Chargers In 07 10-24-2007 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Thx

[/ QUOTE ]My wr after 70k hands at the $50 is just over 6 and I think that it could easily be around 9 if not for playing my c or d game sometimes. So I'd say 10 is attainable, maybe even up to 12 but obv you'd have to play very good and never tilt or have an off day.

At the $25 I think 10 is very doable, >12 is def. achievable.

I'm not sure about the vpip/pfr question. It's nearly identical for the 25 and 50.

Split Suit 10-24-2007 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thx

[/ QUOTE ]My wr after 70k hands at the $50 is just over 6 and I think that it could easily be around 9 if not for playing my c or d game sometimes. So I'd say 10 is attainable, maybe even up to 12 but obv you'd have to play very good and never tilt or have an off day.

At the $25 I think 10 is very doable, >12 is def. achievable.

I'm not sure about the vpip/pfr question. It's nearly identical for the 25 and 50.

[/ QUOTE ]

ptbb/100 or bb/100?

Chargers In 07 10-24-2007 06:55 PM

ptbb ldo.

Split Suit 10-24-2007 07:05 PM

u really think 10-12 is gonna b long run attainable? im thinkin that is wayy high. 7-8 are probably the ceiling for 12tablers.

Johnes Benjamin 10-24-2007 07:05 PM

so you are saying you run at 12bb/100 playing like 13/9???
I don't know if that will be sustained, but good job. I kind of suck I guess.

Chargers In 07 10-24-2007 07:08 PM

Maybe 12 is high but i dont think 10 is. I didnt think making 9 would mean 1700 more than i've made and I don't think I've spewed that much.

MAxx 10-24-2007 07:20 PM

One thing I am having a little trouble getting used to in NL is adjusting to calculating implied odds, whereas it seemed to be very easy in limit.

It's probably a multi-pronged issue:

1) Doing the caculation quickly

2) Estimating how much I will likely get paid off if I hit. I realize this is still player and stacksize dependant, but perhaps it just comes with experience.

3) Maybe it would help to have a few basic scenarios for preflop situtions, but it is more of an issue with the postflop on draws

General guidance or any specific suggestions would be greatly appreciated

ElectricWaffles 10-24-2007 07:34 PM

I've seen a few posts where people are using Aggression Factor when assesing what a 'donkbet' means (She has a high aggression factor so a donkbet doesn't mean much, for example)

That's the incorrect stat to be looking at right? Isn't BetFlop% a better stat to be looking at when assesing donkbets?

It seems obvious to me, but i've seen lots of people drawing inferences from Agg. Factor. Am I missing something there by taking the aggression factor stat too literally (ie. How often somebody raises&bets versus how often they just call)?

I think thats n00bish enough to go in this thread.

ledders07 10-24-2007 07:35 PM

why is the chat thread called "purple goose"?

Split Suit 10-24-2007 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've seen a few posts where people are using Aggression Factor when assesing what a 'donkbet' means (She has a high aggression factor so a donkbet doesn't mean much, for example)

That's the incorrect stat to be looking at right? Isn't BetFlop% a better stat to be looking at when assesing donkbets?

It seems obvious to me, but i've seen lots of people drawing inferences from Agg. Factor. Am I missing something there by taking the aggression factor stat too literally (ie. How often somebody raises&bets versus how often they just call)?

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont use this stat to infer much about thier donk bets. generally donk bets from TAGs mean they hit a set and are tryying to pressure u into raising (very +EV play in multiway pots when u have ppl to act after u). and LAGs just do it

most ppl over-use the AF #. that number doesnt have much meaning because it doesnt mean anything until u get to a big sample size (400+hands)

m bozeman 10-24-2007 07:56 PM

I tried the legopoker converter. After I pasted the hand there, and hit "convert hand", it disappeared and it said "no hand histories detected". What did I do wrong?

Mike Kelley 10-24-2007 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont use this stat to infer much about thier donk bets. generally donk bets from TAGs mean they hit a set and are tryying to pressure u into raising (very +EV play in multiway pots when u have ppl to act after u). and LAGs just do it

most ppl over-use the AF #. that number doesnt have much meaning because it doesnt mean anything until u get to a big sample size (400+hands)

[/ QUOTE ]

Agression Factor doesn't take folding into account. So if I folded every hand that I missed the flop and never called but always bet or raised when I hit the flop my agression factor would be infinity. I've seen people infer that the higher the agression factor the higher % chance that the person is bluffing, that's not true.

People seem to refuse to learn this and even when I have linked them to the information, they have written out responses like I didn't check the link but you are wrong, lol.

Agression factor used in unison with Fold TO CB% and CB% is a useful stat.

LearningCurve 10-24-2007 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why is the chat thread called "purple goose"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoever originates the thread each month creates the name. Several months ago MT2R started the "White Swan." He cryptically left it up to us to decide what he meant by it. The following month someone started the "Black Swan" and then the "Gray Swan" was formed for September. This month Rider apparently decided to tweak it a bit more, and hence, the "Purple Goose" was born.

Cry Me A River 10-24-2007 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I tried the legopoker converter. After I pasted the hand there, and hit "convert hand", it disappeared and it said "no hand histories detected". What did I do wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you didn't post the whole hand history? Try another one, or maybe post whatever you posted here?

It was Stars, right? The converter doesn't support all sites.

m bozeman 10-24-2007 09:03 PM

The first time I tried, I realized i didn't register for an account yet. I registered, and then tried it, and it still said the same thing. Then, I tried copying and pasting the hand history straight to the forums here, and it works. However, it leaves all the players names in there. I don't know how to get it to say mp mp1, mp2, co, btn, and so on. Also, i don't know how to get it to say hero and villian.

And, yes, it is Stars.

jem86 10-24-2007 09:09 PM

can anyone explain to me what the stats mean i think it has to do with players agressiveness factor or win loss ratio and what not... for instance 11/7 or 33/18/7 (if the numbers can be anything) thanks?

QTip 10-24-2007 09:10 PM

It does that automatically. I've had lego do funky things pretty often, which is why I started using the other.

CalledDownLight 10-24-2007 09:12 PM

bozeman, I use the link below. Change the format in the drop down bow to 2+2 forums (3rd from the top). Paste the hh in the input box using copy/paste (the whole hand history from the game number through the summary (make sure you don't have summary only box checked on the Stars hh screen). If you want to show results then check that, same thing with if you want important stacks marked. Then hit convert hand. Select output will highlight the new hh in the box at the right. Copy that and paste it directly into a reply. That should work. If it doesn't then feel free to pm me a raw hh and I'll see if it works when I try it.

edit: link

m bozeman 10-24-2007 09:12 PM

In the 11/7 example, the player voluntarily enters a pot 11% of the time, and 7% of those times he enters with a raise. In the other example, in the 33/18/7, the 7 is his total aggression factor. This includes his agression preflop, flop, turn, and river.

Split Suit 10-24-2007 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
can anyone explain to me what the stats mean i think it has to do with players agressiveness factor or win loss ratio and what not... for instance 11/7 or 33/18/7 (if the numbers can be anything) thanks?

[/ QUOTE ]

if two numbers are given (17/11), they mean vpip/pfr

if three numbers are given (17/11/3), they mean vpip/pfr/aggro factor

CalledDownLight 10-24-2007 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the 11/7 example, the player voluntarily enters a pot 11% of the time, and 7% of those times he enters with a raise. In the other example, in the 33/18/7, the 7 is his total aggression factor. This includes his agression preflop, flop, turn, and river.

[/ QUOTE ]

aggression factor is measured as (bet+raise)/call