Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   BLOGPOLL (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=530362)

Dids 10-24-2007 03:24 PM

BLOGPOLL

Am I the only person who gets really giddy of this post each week?

http://mgoblog.blogspot.com/2007/10/...eek-eight.html

If you are not reading

mgoblog
everydayshouldbesaturday
sundaymorningqb

Your life is less awesome.

Franchise 60 10-24-2007 03:28 PM

Re: BLOGPOLL

I read EDSBS and SMQB, but not mgoblog.

Is mgoblog heavily Michigan based?

lippy 10-24-2007 03:29 PM

I'm a huge Kansas basketball fan. Can I actually start rooting for their football team too? Probably not.

Dids 10-24-2007 03:59 PM

mgoblog is a michigan blog, but the guy who writes it is smart as hell and there's some good non mich content. The mich stuff is what "k" in your google reader is for.

ThaSaltCracka 10-24-2007 04:03 PM

I like Arseblog:
http://www.arseblog.com/WP/index.php

Great wrap up of my team and its funny as hell. Deadspin and TheOffSideRules are the only other sports blogs I go to often.

NozeCandy 10-24-2007 04:46 PM

I am a Michigan fan, but Mgoblog is an extremely well-written and well-known blog. He runs the blogpoll and laughs at all the people who do stupid things in them. He reviews and charts every single play that was relevant to the outcome in every Michigan game. A ton of blogs reference his work and outright copy his ideas for their own blogs.

Other blogs I read:
EDSBS
SundayMorningQB
BlueGraySky (really well-written ND blog)
RunUpTheScore (PSU blog)
MZone
MaizenBrew
Basically any blog about Michigan or by a team Michigan plays

and I occasionally just click down the side of EDSBS and read some random ones

MyTurn2Raise 10-24-2007 05:07 PM

I like this college football blog
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

damaniac 10-24-2007 05:10 PM

EDSBS, MGoBlog, and SMB are the holy trilogy of college football blogs, IMO. EDSBS is hilarious but a little short on analysis, but MGOBLOG and SMB make up for it. Brian (MGOBLOG) put together a database the past two years where you can see the NCAA average for 3rd down conversions from a given distance and see how your team compares to it, offensively and defensively, for example, and also reviews every Michigan non-garbage time play.

There are some damned good blogs out there. The best really put mainstream media to shame.

Dids 10-24-2007 05:13 PM

SMQ is insane in terms of volume. Also you've gotta love a guy who pours that much effort into the game while his team (Southern Miss) just keeps sucking goat dick.

EDSBS is one of the best commedy blogs out there, and it's not a commedy blog.

Brian from mgoblog also posts on the AOL Fanhouse, which is mostly horrible (rule: if any post there is titled with a question, skip, it will suck), but he's got a few gems.

BobJoeJim 10-24-2007 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Shameless [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
I like that blog too, though, I have it bookmarked [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Franchise 60 10-24-2007 05:21 PM

Alright I'll def check it out on a reg. basis, the Blog Poll is very good stuff. Thanks for the heads up Dids.

damaniac 10-24-2007 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Brian from mgoblog also posts on the AOL Fanhouse, which is mostly horrible (rule: if any post there is titled with a question, skip, it will suck), but he's got a few gems.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing with the Fanhouse is he gets paid by the post, so you'd expect him to go with quantity over quality. Also, the other blog is his first priority, so he devotes most of his quality stuff to that. The Fanhouse never mentions Michigan on its own, for example, so the area he know the most about and is more passionate about is completely ignored there.

I also forgot, he had two great posts on graduation rates from July or August, when that whole Harbaugh thing blew up. Very thoughtful with a lot of research and citations to economic studies. Not saying it is foolproof but when that debate occurs, all anyone ever says is "our graduation rate > your graduation rate ZOMG we win!" Nice to see a detailed analysis of an area that never gets much attention.

PITTM 10-24-2007 05:46 PM

REPUBLIKOFMANCUNIA BLEEDS RED

Dids 10-24-2007 05:59 PM

To be clear, I don't thik Brian's fanhouse stuff is bad. I think the Fanhouse as a whole is pretty horrible and employees a lot of [censored] bloggers. (Michael David Smith I am looking at you).

They also employ MGD, who [censored] rules.

Pudge714 10-24-2007 06:14 PM

Blogs I have on my RSS
Baseball Prospectus Unfiltered
Fire Joe Morgan
Results Disoriented
Baseball Delusions
Vegas Watch

Free Darko
True Hoop
Gilbert Arenas

Kissing Suzy Kolber
Random Vikings and Jays Blogs

Deadspin

Dids,
I tried EDSBS and didn't really like it and figured any of the really good stuff would be linked on deadspin. Should I reconsider?

Non Blogs which I suscribe to and are still really [censored] good.
Hardball Times
Baseball Prospectus (subscription needed)
Football Outsiders
Basketball Prospectus.

MyTurn2Raise 10-24-2007 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Shameless [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
I like that blog too, though, I have it bookmarked [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

yep, very shameless

just blasted Les Miles

Dids 10-24-2007 06:29 PM

Pudge,

Yes, although if you don't care about SEC football, maybe not so much. I'm personally just kinda e-gay for the guy's writing.

Free Darko and True Hoop are musts for basketball fans. I think TrueHoop is about the best sports blog ever.

With Leather does Deadspin better than Deadspin mostly.

MyTurn2Raise 10-24-2007 06:40 PM

don't know how anyone could go without kempom blog for NCAAB
the midmajority thing is ok

PITTM 10-24-2007 06:57 PM

True Hoop>>>>Free Darko imo.

fwiw GOAL.com and tribalfootball are the best non team oriented soccer ones i have found.

Also if people are interested, Newsnow is probably the best news aggregator and what I normally read every morning. Its pretty much just an RSS feed of stories from all papers.

Pudge714 10-24-2007 07:31 PM

Dids,
Funny you say that because I subscribed to both With Leather and Deadspin and though Deadspin was better and dropped With Leather. Maybe because I'm afraid of change. Free Darko is really hit or miss for me sometimes I love it and sometimes I feel like yelling THIS IS BASKETBALL IT ISN'T A MICROCOSM OF LIFE. FWIW for that same reason I dislike certain Freedarko posts I love The Wire blog by the same writers.

Dids 10-24-2007 09:47 PM

Deadspin is better for pure info, but WL/KSK is better for funny. I just subscribe to everything and skip a ton.

Agree that Shoals Wire blog is [censored] excellent. Free Darko doesn't seem so much like they take basketball too serious as much as they just have a lot of spare time and weed.