Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge: Discussion+Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Battling Procrastination (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=529102)

EnigmaCanada 10-23-2007 01:22 AM

Battling Procrastination

Procrastination: I want to fight it!
I spend too much time goofing off reading and posting on forums. If it's not this one, its some other forum. If its not forums its video games. If those don't work, I'll watch t.v. or movies.

I am terrible at facing procrastination. I have to believe other forum junkies face this same problem. I always put things off to the last minute, and never seem to get things done unless a deadline forces me to do so. The problem is, alot of things that need to be done don't have deadlines, and to me its just not the same trying to create an imaginary one for myself. I constantly push off doing things that I should be doing; things that will have a positive effect on my life.

Do you guys have any tips or ideas for battling this procrastination?

Blarg 10-23-2007 01:26 AM

Re: Battling Procrastination

I've gotten this many times. The only thing that has ever worked for me is to get more goals or take the ones I have more seriously. Theorizing about why not wasting my time is good just leads to nothing for me. I'm kind of obsessive and function well under pressure and can feel scattered without it. The cure for a lot of my ills has always been to get obsessed about something positive.

Kimbell175113 10-23-2007 02:01 AM

I've started just unplugging my ethernet cable for, say, an hour at a time, every once in a while. I'm almost forced to start working (unless I want to get up and interact with humans or the outdoors, which is even worse).

KilgoreTrout 10-25-2007 02:33 PM

Oh [censored] it. I'll just reply later.

scpi10 10-25-2007 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

beat me to it [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

barncat 10-25-2007 08:36 PM

lol

ROADHEAD 10-25-2007 09:55 PM

Procrastination is like masturbation, in the end you only end up screwing yourself!

Enrique 10-25-2007 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've gotten this many times. The only thing that has ever worked for me is to get more goals or take the ones I have more seriously. Theorizing about why not wasting my time is good just leads to nothing for me. I'm kind of obsessive and function well under pressure and can feel scattered without it. The cure for a lot of my ills has always been to get obsessed about something positive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do something similar to Blarg. I just give myself tons of things to do. If I have tons of things to do, I do more stuff (even if I only do a third of my goals). Like join lots of clubs, get movie passes, join book clubs, etc.

katyseagull 10-26-2007 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Theorizing about why not wasting my time is good just leads to nothing for me. I'm kind of obsessive and function well under pressure and can feel scattered without it. The cure for a lot of my ills has always been to get obsessed about something positive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sort of the opposite. I don't function well under pressure and feel horribly scattered when I have pressure heaped on me.

Enigma I wish I could help but I can't. I've gotten really bad at procrastinating. I think I need a support group! Even accomplishing one goal a day would be awesome.

disjunction 10-26-2007 12:25 AM

Three things that I find help:

(1) Try to get one little easy thing done. Sometimes the hardest part is starting the days work, once you do that, you will find yourself following up.

(2) At the end of the day, don't finish up, that is, don't stop at the natural break point. It's hard to start the day off by thinking, you want the first thing you do tomorrow to be the easy, natural progression of what you're doing today. For instance, if you are writing a document, you may want to leave off in mid-

(3) Talk to other people about your task. For some reason talking about something I'm working on always makes me want to work on it more.

katyseagull 10-26-2007 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

(3) Talk to other people about your task. For some reason talking about something I'm working on always makes me want to work on it more.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true for me too. I procrastinate about stuff like cleaning and paying bills. I need someone to yell at me or at least coax me to get off the computer and address some of the more mundane chores, especially paperwork that is accumulating. Even if I accomplish just one goal a day. A support group or life coach or something would be cool. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

disjunction 10-26-2007 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true for me too. I procrastinate about stuff like cleaning and paying bills. I need someone to yell at me or at least coax me to get off the computer and address some of the more mundane chores, especially paperwork that is accumulating. Even if I accomplish just one goal a day. A support group or life coach or something would be cool. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

(4) Go to random office functions, eat lots of cake. This will give you the energy boost you need to power you through the rest of the day!

Blarg 10-26-2007 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Three things that I find help:

(1) Try to get one little easy thing done. Sometimes the hardest part is starting the days work, once you do that, you will find yourself following up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very very true. Starting is the very hardest thing, by far. Every tiny bit of momentum you get going makes things much easier. It's the getting the first momentum that can be boggling.

[ QUOTE ]
(2) At the end of the day, don't finish up, that is, don't stop at the natural break point. It's hard to start the day off by thinking, you want the first thing you do tomorrow to be the easy, natural progression of what you're doing today. For instance, if you are writing a document, you may want to leave off in mid-

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an extremely good trick. I remember some great writer suggesting it, and it's brilliant. This one folds perfectly into the first one, too, and is about substantially the same thing.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes this kills a task for me and makes it very hard to stay interested in it. I kind of need things to come to a boil and get enthused about them on my own. If I spill the beans, I start to worry about being judged even if I think I'm doing great, and can get discouraged or even fatalistic. On the other hand, once I'm really thoroughly engaged, I can't be stopped and even the tiniest bit of encouragement zaps me like a lightning bolt.

disjunction 10-26-2007 01:30 AM

Yeah I'm dumb so I often find myself using (1) as my fallback when I forget to do (2). Most of my tasks involve writing some sort of computer code, so I may do something trivial and unnecessary, like just run the code for no reason, or look at the results from yesterday, just to get myself in that mode.

On (3), I guess your way fits into the old motto "write the first draft with the door closed, write the second draft with the door open". That works too. And I get the feeling your personality type needs that door closed for the first draft. Maybe it's not even me talking about the work, but more hearing others talk about their work. I'm like the only person who likes the concept of meetings because I work harder for the next few hours.

RJT 10-26-2007 01:45 AM

Have you tried making a list of things to do?

I find that simply writing all the things I need to get done helps in three ways.

1) It organizes my thoughts.
2) I get the worry out of my head (somewhat) and onto a piece of paper.
3) I feel like I am getting somewhere (and I am) as I scratch off the things I have finished.

I guess four ways really. 4) I accomplish what I needed to do.

p.s. The list never ends, though.

Tom Ames 10-26-2007 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to post this a few days ago.

R*R 10-27-2007 04:37 AM

I am going to start battling my procrastination as of right.... ahh nevermind.

Oski 10-27-2007 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I always find myself in the same boat. I let all sorts of little things (and sometimes big things) accumulate then all of a sudden it feels like I have a gun to my head.

However, I've grown to recognize that on some level I LIKE HAVING THE GUN TO MY HEAD. When I am under pressure my work (attorney) is much better (maybe not on a technical level, but on an intellectual level) and I really feel great as a finish tasks.

About once a week I will just get out of bed and just charge to my computer before I can think of anything else to do. Sometimes it will be as early as 4:00 a.m. (Coffee machine not set to go off until 5:30.) Once I get started, its almost like being manic; there is nothing like doing three days of work before noon. (I helps that I work from home.)

Anyhow, I do recognize that this method is very flawed. As the junk accumulates, it seems to creep into my mind and then I become a virtual prisoner to the junk pile. For example, if there is an accumulation, I might cancel a walk or a trip to the gym on the guise that "I have work to do." Unfortunately, unless the work includes critical deadlines, I usually end up playing four hours of internet poker and getting absolutely nothing done. Thus the cycle continues.

Yes. I know what I do is not healthy and that I would be better off working "normal" hours. But, I guess I am not normal in that respect.

I suppose I am no longer an amateur crastinator. I am, in fact, a procrastinator.

Blarg 10-27-2007 02:54 PM

That all sounds eerily familiar. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] What's really bizarre and perverse is that I hate drama in real life, but I regularly create artificial drama for myself anyway by putting things off that I was perfectly capable of doing earlier. I've grown to accept that there's some part of me that must like that pressure and drama, too, and sets me up for it. Probably for the same reason others like it in their daily lives and interpersonal relationships so much; it reaffirms my position at the center of an exciting story. Not a bad result for the investment of some mere cussedness and laziness, I guess. But it isn't a pretty way to get there.

Enrique 10-27-2007 07:38 PM

I am in the same boat. I am getting a little worried as now it seems like deadlines that would create pressure for me to do something before are not working anymore. I wonder if this pressure thing stops working because the same thing that created pressure once will not create the same pressure the next time (because the success of the first time, made you realize you don't need to worry about it the next time). I guess a couple of failures could bring the pressure back to normal levels of motivation.

stormstarter28 10-29-2007 01:54 AM

I would suggest doing what you need to do and stop being lazy. Maybe that's too easy, though.

Blarg 10-29-2007 02:41 AM

It's all about the psychodrama, bro, and some other weird needs being met. Nothing is easy, if you let yourself be a dick about it. Obviously, a shortage of common sense isn't the problem here. It's having common sense and acting like an idiot anyway.

Enrique 10-29-2007 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would suggest doing what you need to do and stop being lazy. Maybe that's too easy, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there anything that one actually "needs" doing? What is your idea of calling someone lazy? Not doing anything or not doing what he thinks should be done?
Usually my idea of lazy involves someone who doesn't want to do anything if it requires any effort.
Deciding to do exercise or read instead of doing work doesn't seem to be something to describe someone as lazy.
I didn't grow up in the American environment where work is the all important thing, so maybe I just have different views of what constitutes laziness and what constitutes procrastination.

stormstarter28 10-29-2007 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there anything that one actually "needs" doing? What is your idea of calling someone lazy? Not doing anything or not doing what he thinks should be done?
Usually my idea of lazy involves someone who doesn't want to do anything if it requires any effort.
Deciding to do exercise or read instead of doing work doesn't seem to be something to describe someone as lazy.
I didn't grow up in the American environment where work is the all important thing, so maybe I just have different views of what constitutes laziness and what constitutes procrastination.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok. You could nitpick my choice of words, or you could take a second and try to understand what I mean. But maybe you're just too lazy for that [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img].

Oski 10-29-2007 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok. You could nitpick my choice of words, or you could take a second and try to understand what I mean. But maybe you're just too lazy for that [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure that you understand that there is a significant difference between being lazy and procrastinating. At the end of the day, if the early bird and the procrastinator both finish their projects by the deadline, what is the difference?

The problem presented is that even though procrastinators are able to finish thier projects, etc., they are still a bit troubled by the methodology they choose. Even though the obvious "solution" is to finish projects as they first appear, procrastinators just cannot seem to operate in that fashion.

In my experience, when I was working in firms, etc., I never took a day off when I had a bunch of deadlines swirling in the air and I was always relied upon to "be the rock" when the office was going to hell and people were needed for overtime. However, if I knew there were only a few minor things on my plate, there would be a good chance that I would phone in sick.

I suppose that I, along with many other procrastinators, don't really enjoy thinking about how or why we do things as we do. The only time it really becomes much of an issue for me is when I am going through a slow period (procrastinating) and am contemplating getting a few things out of the way. Ineveitably, however, I just let things slide and when it reaches critical mass, I go to work and get it all done (without really stressing over the fact that I could have done ALL of the projects ad hoc over the previous week or so rather than in five-solid hours).

Oski 10-29-2007 04:15 PM

Thank goodnes this is in TLDR ... I have something else to add:

I guess the thinking goes (for me) is that "If I can do all of this work in 5 straight hours, why sit around the office during the three days or so that it piles up? This is a winning philosophy.

HOWEVER, (and thus the problem) this is only in theory. If I was really enjoying the three-day accumulation and doing other positive things in my life, it would be a non-qualified winner. However, there are times when the "ramp-up" period is being used to mull over the work and the impending deadlines where 1) I am not enjoying myself and become a servant to the mythical pile of work; and 2) I don't do anyting productive with my time (yes, this would be a lazy time).

It is during these episodes that I wish that I was able to just do things 9 to 5 and thus leave my "free time" truely free.

Orlando Salazar 10-29-2007 04:20 PM

do one small thing b4 u do something for pleasure.
running/yoga/pullups/pushups/situps.
sleep better/eat oatmeal/green tea
Lastly, set some priorities on a white board in order of importance.

Blarg 10-29-2007 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to do this, and it served me extremely well both academically and physically. I lack the discipline now, though, and my intellectual and physical performance and abilities reflect it.

Orlando Salazar 10-29-2007 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to do this, and it served me extremely well both academically and physically. I lack the discipline now, though, and my intellectual and physical performance and abilities reflect it.

[/ QUOTE ]

do one pushup b4 ur next post

stormstarter28 10-29-2007 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure that you understand that there is a significant difference between being lazy and procrastinating.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I completely understand that. I'm saying he should have understood what I meant when I said "lazy", and so should you.

Oski 10-30-2007 03:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure that you understand that there is a significant difference between being lazy and procrastinating.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I completely understand that. I'm saying he should have understood what I meant when I said "lazy", and so should you.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are the one with your head in your ass, why do you think I would know how it smells?

katyseagull 10-30-2007 08:24 AM

Do me a favor Oski, try not to use this line ever again. You sound a little defensive. Speaking as a procrastinator, I don't take offense when someone calls me lazy.

I can put in 11 eleven hours at the office, or clean my place up all weekend, and still not address the personal paperwork that needs to be addressed, don't ask me why. I have a close friend who's the same way. When it comes to physical labor he can work harder than anyone. But when it comes to paying his bills he is such a procrastinator.

Oski 10-30-2007 11:55 AM

I don't mind what anyone calls me. I do mind when this guy goes to great lengths to point out that I should know what he means when he says a specific word, but means something else. I find it rude and irritating and I responded in kind.

I apologize if you are offended by my response to the poster.

Blarg 10-30-2007 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do me a favor Oski, try not to use this line ever again. You sound a little defensive. Speaking as a procrastinator, I don't take offense when someone calls me lazy.

I can put in 11 eleven hours at the office, or clean my place up all weekend, and still not address the personal paperwork that needs to be addressed, don't ask me why. I have a close friend who's the same way. When it comes to physical labor he can work harder than anyone. But when it comes to paying his bills he is such a procrastinator.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm this way with bills regularly. It's why I try to automate as much bill paying as possible, to take into account my weakness in that area. When you've been scary poor before, for any length of time, paying the wrong bill at the wrong time means being put out of doors or running out of food, power, whatever. Because of that background, I can be extremely hesitant to just get a bill out of the way, as if it goes against my instincts of self-preservation. It's a mental tick that I'll probably have until the day I die, and just have to try to manage.

Enrique 10-31-2007 12:45 AM

I am glad I wasn't the only one offended by his unhelpful remarks.

I wanted to point out that saying "Go do what you need" is an unhelpful response.
Here a couple of situations which I find similar:
-Responding "Just kick the ball so that the goalie can't reach it" to the question "How do I score a goal on a penalty kick?"
-Responding "By solving the integral" to the question "How do I solve this integral?"
-Responding "By running into the endzone without being tackled" to the question "How would I go about to score a touchdown in X situation?"

What I am trying to say (if it isn't clear by now). It is that the thread (to the extent of my knowledge) is about ideas to be able to get rid of procrastination. The answer of that guy that said "By doing what you need to do" is obviously true, but completely unhelpful and in a way insulting. I hope it was meant as a joke and Oski and I just got excited for nothing, but if it wasn't a joke it was a ridiculous post that offered no insight or help.