Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MOD DISCUSSION (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Why did my friend get banned for this? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=528994)

leatherass 10-22-2007 10:38 PM

Why did my friend get banned for this?

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showth...ue#Post12615619

My friend NYplayer got banned for (I guess) posting in wrong forum. But this seems a little harsh as he asked a legitimate question and was unaware that there is a new travel forum. He has alos been a 2+2er for 4 years and has always been a very solid poster. Can someone help me with this? Pardon me if this is not proper procedure, but I am very new here and am not sure how this stuff works. Welcome all and thanks in advance for the help.

Mike Haven 10-22-2007 11:25 PM

Re: Why did my friend get banned for this?

Welcome, leatherass.

If you look in his Profile, (click on his name; click on Edit this user), you'll see the mods' Notes section, that gives the reason.

durron597 10-22-2007 11:33 PM

did leatherass post this here or did you move it here from mod forum mike?

Mike Haven 10-22-2007 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

If this is the mod forum he posted it here.

durron597 10-22-2007 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i meant did you move it from ATF, i can't type

yes, i saw that leatherass had mod forum access before i posted the first reply

Dynasty 10-22-2007 11:47 PM

Banning somebody for two days just for making that post is simply stupid modding.

Someobdy needs to apply some great paint to leatherass.

Mike Haven 10-22-2007 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i meant did you move it from ATF, i can't type

yes, i saw that leatherass had mod forum access before i posted the first reply

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah.

No, he posted here.

I don't want to put words into his mouth, but I'd guess he was asking mods why a mod would ban that particular guy for that particular post.

Jim Kuhn 10-23-2007 12:00 AM

That is one of the worst bans in the history of modding. That poster has been posting for more than four years without even a warning in his notes. That also seemed like a well written post requesting OPINIONS - not google links. What is the reasoning behind this ban? On the surface it seems absolutely horrible, there has to be more behind it!

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

durron597 10-23-2007 12:05 AM

anyway, sorry about the sidetrack

i agree with jim

nation 10-23-2007 12:49 AM

NT,

if you made this ban, that is just absolutely awful. this is how you turn off new or low post count posters from contributing. how hard would it have been to just move it to the travel forum? christ i'm on tilt from this ban.

nation 10-23-2007 12:50 AM

TWO [censored] DAYS????? ARE YOU SERIOUS? AHAYETOPJIAEHEPIHETPOHAETPIHAETAETETAETAETAE

leatherass 10-23-2007 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That is one of the worst bans in the history of modding. That poster has been posting for more than four years without even a warning in his notes. That also seemed like a well written post requesting OPINIONS - not google links. What is the reasoning behind this ban? On the surface it seems absolutely horrible, there has to be more behind it!

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I promise you there is nothing more behind it. My friend is an upstanding gentlemen and took time to call me because he simply couldn't believe he was banned. He visits 2+2 several times a day and is bummed out about it. Anyway thanks for the help and if it somehow possible can he please be reinstated?

leatherass 10-23-2007 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Banning somebody for two days just for making that post is simply stupid modding.

Someobdy needs to apply some great paint to leatherass.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but what does the last sentence mean? I've been trying to figure it out for 5 minutes...lol [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

NT! 10-23-2007 01:26 AM

did you guys see the big sticky in all caps that warns people of multi-day bans for this crap? do you know how many of these posts i have to delete every day? apparently everybody on this site thinks OOT is the place you go when you have a dumb, lazy question and don't feel like going to google, travelocity, time out ny, expedia, yahoo, wikipedia, or any of the gazillion other websites on the interwebs to get an answer.

of course if i had moved this to the travel forum someone would show up (probably tuq) and complain that nobody will asnwer it there (which they won't) and i'm being unfair by not letting people use OOT for whatever inane crap pops into their head.

lol at jim kuhn saying word one to anybody about a bad ban. own up to your own ridiculous mistakes before you go criticizing anyone else. just like your last ban, you probably didn't even know that this is covered in the rules.

dynasty you can go get [censored] too, we all know how great a mod of OOT you turned out to be. OOT posters support this policy and anyone who doesn't like it can post somewhere else.

nation 10-23-2007 01:57 AM

what is the big goddamn problem if people come to oot instead of google or expedia or whatever?? THAT IS TRAFFIC

maybe you should consider changing the rules, because bans for stuff like this is absolutely ridiculous.

EMc 10-23-2007 01:57 AM

NT,

Dude downstairs pissing you off again?

nation 10-23-2007 01:58 AM

alright i'm overreacting i just ran kk into aa. i'm not actually that mad. but my point remains, just the attitude doesnt.

*TT* 10-23-2007 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
did you guys see the big sticky in all caps that warns people of multi-day bans for this crap? do you know how many of these posts i have to delete every day? apparently everybody on this site thinks OOT is the place you go when you have a dumb, lazy question and don't feel like going to google, travelocity, time out ny, expedia, yahoo, wikipedia, or any of the gazillion other websites on the interwebs to get an answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

NT! my man - OOT is not the only forum that gets 10+ dumb posts a day like that, B&M gets it too (not as many of course, but we get it). Some times I jokingly call the B&M forum poker for people with training wheels, its the "real poker" forum for guys who are afraid to learn they don't know diddly about poker strategy. We don't ban anyone over dumb or mis-placed threads unless the person is a multi-time previously warned offender (I admit we ban for under-age ID posts, but thats such a blatant infringement and its usually just for a day). We usually just move the post to the right forum and send him a PM... perhaps you could try the same strategy if the post has zero OOT history to avoid turning them off?

NT! 10-23-2007 02:28 AM

TT,

perhaps you could do some more to bring this discussion back to things we tried back in 2005? how many PMs do you think i would send in a day if i tried to hold the hand of every lazy, bad poster in OOT? if you want to get into inane PM arguments with a dozen people a day about why their post isn't allowed, feel free. i'll send you my password.

new forum software will allow us to suspend OOT OP privileges which is a far superior solution, in the meantime, i have no more patience for this crap

leatherass 10-23-2007 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

of course if i had moved this to the travel forum someone would show up (probably tuq) and complain that nobody will asnwer it there (which they won't) and i'm being unfair by not letting people use OOT for whatever inane crap pops into their head.

lol at jim kuhn saying word one to anybody about a bad ban. own up to your own ridiculous mistakes before you go criticizing anyone else. just like your last ban, you probably didn't even know that this is covered in the rules.

dynasty you can go get [censored] too, we all know how great a mod of OOT you turned out to be. OOT posters support this policy and anyone who doesn't like it can post somewhere else.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sure can imagine that dealing with all of the BS posts must be frustrating. But would you possibly considering letting NYplayer slide on this one and get his acct. priveldges back? Thanks for the consideration.

Jim Kuhn 10-23-2007 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The big sticky in caps that says:

'IF YOU DON'T USUALLY POST HERE, DON'T'?

Is that how you welcome new users to www.twoplustwo.com? Is that sticky some kind of joke or something? If so, I must be missing the humor. What was actually wrong with the post in question? It was very well worded and could not have been answered via a google search.

It would have been MUCH easier to move that thread and check the 'leave a pointer box' with a message saying these types of posts should go to the travel forum. This would also help other users and alert them about the existence of the travel forum. How much time did it take to ban this user vs moving and linking with a pointer. It would have been much less of your time. I repeat this was a HORRIBLE BAN that could have easily been avoided. The poster in question had absolutely no associated notes in more than four years. This IS the type of ban that tends to give twoplustwo a bad name and drives away customers. This ban should be reversed asap along with an apology to the user.

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u

nation 10-23-2007 02:41 AM

NT,

the argument your using just doesn't wash here. yeah it's a lot of work to be a mod. if you can't handle it all, add more mods.

also, i didn't know that sticky said "if you don't usually post here, don't."

i think some of the mods here are losing sight of the overall goal. you have to ban problem users, not ones who don't necessarily fit into or understand the community yet.

Jim Kuhn 10-23-2007 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NT,

'Ridiculous mistakes'? I have made very many mistakes in my life and don't have problems admitting those mistakes. However, I still stand behind my one day suspension for the problematic user that was already banned multiple times for profanity utilizing 'sucka h sucka my dick y'all' for his location. If reds state that is ok anyone is welcome to change his location back.

You really should try to treat posters and fellow mods with more respect. I have no problem with the way you treat me but other mods deserve more respect. I know you don't care much for me but that does not bother me at all. I have utmost respect for 99% of the mods but you 'are the other 1%'.

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u

DeathDonkey 10-23-2007 03:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Welcome, leatherass.

If you look in his Profile, (click on his name; click on Edit this user), you'll see the mods' Notes section, that gives the reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry for the hijack but I don't have this power. Leatherass and I mod the new Coaching/Training forums - are there different levels of mod access or am I really dumb? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Leatherass, can you do what Mike Haven suggested?

-DeathDonkey

Leader 10-23-2007 04:22 AM

Sure you didn't miss it? Right next to send a PM ect. If not, that's probably something you should talk about with the reds.

leatherass 10-23-2007 05:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Welcome, leatherass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry for the hijack but I don't have this power. Leatherass and I mod the new Coaching/Training forums - are there different levels of mod access or am I really dumb? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Leatherass, can you do what Mike Haven suggested?

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

no

chesspain 10-23-2007 06:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The big sticky in caps that says:

Is that how you welcome new users to www.twoplustwo.com?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea why Mat seems to interpret NT!'s tendency towards angry whining as being suggestive of maturity and good judgement.

durron597 10-23-2007 08:26 AM

NT!,

What you seem to be missing here is that this post wasn't "tell me exciting places to go in Puerto Rico", it was "suggest to me a place to travel to".

If the rules exist to bind us instead of serve us, we get bans like this one; a 4 year poster who's done nothing but post reasonably well in those 4 years gets banned for a post that's at worst on the fringe of the googletard rule. NYplayer was looking for other posters personal experiences of various vacation destinations. Yes, theoretically he could have used google but also perhaps he was looking to generate discussion on various different places to go to decide between them; something that is not nearly as easily googled as "recommend a hotel in Puerto Rico".

This ban is absolutely awful.

[ QUOTE ]

NT,

Dude downstairs pissing you off again?

[/ QUOTE ]

durron597 10-23-2007 09:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously, wtf???

hra146 10-23-2007 09:49 AM

I have no opinion on how NT should handle OOT, but why are people getting upset _now_?

Its been like that forever and NT has banned countless of other people for very simliar posts. Its his policy, its his forum and this discussion isnt new.

If we wanna bring it up once more I would say calm down everyone and try to take an objective view.

*TT* 10-23-2007 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have no opinion on how NT should handle OOT, but why are people getting upset _now_?

[/ QUOTE ]

personally I am not upset, I am sugesting a new solution - nothing more. But we already know that Ryan isn't happy with the current ban-friendly environment, its obviously bad for business. NT! was right - this isnt '05, thats precisely why banning users without a history of problems has to stop now, before the new software is installed.

*TT* 10-23-2007 10:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sure you didn't miss it? Right next to send a PM ect. If not, that's probably something you should talk about with the reds.

[/ QUOTE ]

he can't, the sponsored coaching forum mods dont have the ability to edit users like we do. I only know this because I was at the house of another sponsored coaching forum mod's house this past weekend looking over his shoulder when I noticed that.

4_2_it 10-23-2007 10:25 AM

NT!,

It is much quicker to move a post and leave a pointer then it is to ban someone. You wouldn't need to PM anyone because it would be obvious why the thread was moved.

I'm not saying that you need to move every non-OOT thread (as some stuff just deserves to be deleted), but moving stuff that belongs in Travel, POG, Student Life or Video Games to the correct forums helps everyone.

Gildwulf 10-23-2007 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously, wtf???

[/ QUOTE ]

lol NT you are too much

*TT* 10-23-2007 10:32 AM

now the discussion has moved to ATF. Strange timing.

4_2_it 10-23-2007 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

TT,

I just obtained (from an anonymous source) this rendering of the mod who tipped the masses off.

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/mgifs/Mole_bw.GIF

nation 10-23-2007 10:57 AM

BAN SNIPER

*TT* 10-23-2007 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

TT,

I just obtained (from an anonymous source) this rendering of the mod who tipped the masses off.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, nice. Its possible thats its purely coincidental since the sticky went up 10 days ago, actually I'm surprised there wasnt an ATF thread earlier.

NT! 10-23-2007 11:23 AM

leatherass,

i went ahead and overturned it. thanks for your patient & reasonable approach.

nation 10-23-2007 11:33 AM

maybe you should take that patient and reasonable approach by just moving threads instead of being banhappy. seriously man, it's just easier to move instead of ban. if you need help recruit some ooters or something.