Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   No parachute skydiving prop bet? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=527595)

Cap_Of_Water 10-21-2007 03:57 AM

No parachute skydiving prop bet?

I remember someone mentioning high numbers for a prop bet with the stipulations of skydiving without a parachute but being able to hold on to a second skydiver who does have a chute. not tied into the person with a chute, just being able to physically hold on to them....thoughts?

rothko 10-21-2007 03:59 AM

Re: No parachute skydiving prop bet?

http://njmg.typepad.com/photos/uncat...oint_break.jpg

badatmath 10-21-2007 03:59 AM

I would only take the bet if I was going to kill myself anyway.

2p2J 10-21-2007 04:00 AM

Thoughts = Complete stupidity. I don't think you'll ever see this actually happin.

xSCWx 10-21-2007 04:05 AM

I saw a video where a guy did this holding onto a parachute strap back in the day. It was probably fake or something because I don't think its possible to hold on when it comes out.

xSCWx 10-21-2007 04:12 AM

A pug skydiving:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s2o9BpLTdQ

prodonkey 10-21-2007 04:56 AM

I'm sure you could hold on pretty easily if you just ran your arms through the straps.

Chaos_ult 10-21-2007 04:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure you could break both of your arms pretty easily if you just ran your arms through the straps.

[/ QUOTE ]

prodonkey 10-21-2007 05:08 AM

if that was the case even using the full harness is going to leave deep bruises every time you used a parachute, and it doesn't. You're going from something around 120 mph at terminal velocity to around 15 mph after deployment, but it's not instantaneous.

xSCWx 10-21-2007 05:12 AM

In the video I saw the guy was hanging using his hands. He didn't run his arms through the straps.

Someone find it!!

redleg319 10-21-2007 05:15 AM

I am in an Airborne unit in the Army and while this could be done, you would have to be a complete idiot to try it. The problem would be the weight of the jumpers. Most parachutes can safely lower 350 lbs. And safely means it won't kill you but the landing will hurt like hell.

prodonkey 10-21-2007 05:17 AM

might be hard with just your hands.. but if you just wrapped your arms and legs around someone and have any kind of strength at all, you are going to be able to hang on. Parachutes don't just snap open. I have been skydiving a few times and I don't think it is as abrupt as most people imagine, I know I was a little surprised my first time.

GSykes 10-21-2007 06:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
http://njmg.typepad.com/photos/uncat...oint_break.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

SinkRox 10-21-2007 06:33 AM

Ive seen a video of this. Its absolutly sick, the guy just jumps off his friends shoulders about 6ft off the ground.

Its called a MrBill. If you run a search at http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ there's 5 mrbill videos, including an attempt that went wrong! You have to register to see the vids, worth it tho.

shootaa 10-21-2007 06:49 AM

yeah, its probably not that hard to hold on... its like going from 120 to 20 in a couple of seconds... probably doable; but yeah, definitely a multi-million dollar deal imo at very very least (not that i'd ever do it)

shootaa 10-21-2007 06:49 AM

and btw, im insta-getting point break

Cap_Of_Water 10-21-2007 07:00 AM

hmm, ok, so its close enough to generate some interst. i have one friend who is somewhat sure that this is doable and supposedly would be instantly up for it for anything hitting the 6 figure range... surely a handful of people could put some sort of monetary value and an offer along with stipulations together??

Victor 10-21-2007 07:04 AM

travis pastrano did this recently.

wems 10-21-2007 07:07 AM

u guyz r fuked up in teh haed

prodonkey 10-21-2007 07:17 AM

i'll do it for way less than 6 figures

GSykes 10-21-2007 07:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i'll do it for way less than 6 figures

[/ QUOTE ]

plz do

GinaSD 10-21-2007 07:30 AM

if you're going to do a crazy bet like this, I hope you're considering force and acceleration. Holding on after a 7 second freefall is a whole different animal than a 4 second freefall. Most static-line jumps vary between 3-6 seconds.

I_am_smrt 10-21-2007 07:36 AM

dead ppl don't pay their prop bets

Peleus 10-21-2007 07:37 AM

Yeah you gotta admit that if you loose you won't have to worry about payment to much.

prodonkey 10-21-2007 07:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if you're going to do a crazy bet like this, I hope you're considering force and acceleration. Holding on after a 7 second freefall is a whole different animal than a 4 second freefall. Most static-line jumps vary between 3-6 seconds.

[/ QUOTE ]

u reach terminal velocity in 12 seconds.

GinaSD 10-21-2007 07:53 AM

terminal vel. in 12 sec's? No way. HALO jumpers can have incredibly long free falls that start from high enough in the atmosphere to require supplemental O2.

Syberduh 10-21-2007 07:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
dead ppl don't pay their prop bets

[/ QUOTE ]

Money in escrow beforehand ldo. And terminal velocity just means the maximum speed you can reach in freefall due to air resistance.

prodonkey 10-21-2007 08:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
terminal vel. in 12 sec's? No way. HALO jumpers can have incredibly long free falls that start from high enough in the atmosphere to require supplemental O2.

[/ QUOTE ]

look up the meaning, it doesn't mean u die.. jesus

GSykes 10-21-2007 08:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

HALO is a video game, not real life.

Get a life

goofyballer 10-21-2007 08:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hmm, ok, so its close enough to generate some interst. i have one friend who is somewhat sure that this is doable and supposedly would be instantly up for it for anything hitting the 6 figure range... surely a handful of people could put some sort of monetary value and an offer along with stipulations together??

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, you're a huge degen, and think about the two outcomes of this bet:

1. You lose a ton of money, or
2. Someone dies.

prodonkey 10-21-2007 08:26 AM

I don't think someone would have to die.. i think the person attempting should wear a chute too.. but if they use it, they lose the bet.

VPIP100 10-21-2007 09:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think someone would have to die.. i think the person attempting should wear a chute too.. but if they use it, they lose the bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why did you have to ruin it for everyone?

prodonkey 10-21-2007 09:36 AM

goofy made me write a letter about my feelings to my conscience

hra146 10-21-2007 09:48 AM

lol, Ill do it.

LOL_MODS 10-21-2007 09:52 AM

this is not only possible, but its been done plenty of times from varying altitudes.

when i was in college my buddies and i went for our skydiving certification (pre-poker boom LDO). in order to complete the certification there was a checklist of jumps. the hardest included a night jump (0 visability), a water jump (land in deep water), and varying altitude parachute deployments (from 6k-2k).

while i feel very comfortable skydiving and wouldnt hesitiate to jump out of almost any plane with a parachute, there isnt a snowballs chance in hell that i'd ever do it WITHOUT a parachute, and i have about 150 jumps on my resume.

having said that, i would def take action on the jumpers end of it, as long as he were an experienced skydiver.

Gullanian 10-21-2007 09:54 AM

How are you going to find a pilot willing to let you jump with no chute

prodonkey 10-21-2007 10:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How are you going to find a pilot willing to let you jump with no chute

[/ QUOTE ]

Blow up the plane LDO

hra146 10-21-2007 10:06 AM

being experienced takes all the fun out of it. Jumping your very first time without a chute,... sick story.

100k and you give me a time and a date.

Gullanian 10-21-2007 10:08 AM

Are you allowed to jump out the plane in an intimate position with the guy with the parachute initially, or do you have to jump out then find him mid air and cling on?

hra146 10-21-2007 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you allowed to jump out the plane in an intimate position with the guy with the parachute initially, or do you have to jump out then find him mid air and cling on?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that is whats meant.

To really jump out of a plane with nothing and then meet somebody with a chute.
Weeee, thats gotta be the sickest adrenaline rush ever.

Cmon, 100k... takers?