Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   What is the single loudest moment in a sports stadium, ever? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=527491)

Riverman 10-20-2007 11:43 PM

What is the single loudest moment in a sports stadium, ever?

I have no idea what the answer is...I'm assuming it has to have happened in an arena?

dkgojackets 10-20-2007 11:45 PM

Re: What is the single loudest moment in a sports stadium, ever?

probably an implosion

pokergrader 10-20-2007 11:46 PM

probably an explosion

Dynasty 10-20-2007 11:47 PM

The 1980 Olympic medal round hockey game between the U.S. and U.S.S.R. had an understandably insane crowd through most of the game.

Jack of Arcades 10-20-2007 11:53 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthquake_Game

Jay Riall 10-20-2007 11:56 PM

This. Was. Awesome.

Riverman 10-21-2007 12:16 AM

After thinking about this some more, I'm thinking it has to be either Chicago Stadium or the Boston Garden.

youtalkfunny 10-21-2007 12:20 AM

Not counting demolition of the arena by dynamite...

It was definitely in a dome. I'm leaning towards the NFL crowds in Minnesota or Seattle, who would be so loud that somebody needed to invent the "silent count".

humdinger 10-21-2007 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
After thinking about this some more, I'm thinking it has to be either Chicago Stadium or the Boston Garden.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't those arenas have a much smaller capacity than larger domes used for football and baseball? I know the kingdome was deafening when the seahawks played there, and i assume the metrodome and astrodome had their moments...as well as places like the rca dome...

Not sure, just thinking that the number of vocal chords has to matter somewhat.

hd

Jay Riall 10-21-2007 12:25 AM

Actually, its prob in the commentary box whenever Adrain PPPPPPPPPPPPETERSON!!!1!!1111!!!1! scores a TD

KUJustin 10-21-2007 12:27 AM

I've only been in domes for basketball games, which only fill up about half, and are extreeeemely quiet. Even for the national championship.

I sort of think a smaller building with fewer people might be louder, but again I have no experience in a full dome. I do know that Allen Fieldhouse has definitely gone past the pain threshold at certain times (overtime vs Georgia Tech a couple of years ago, for instance).

KUJustin 10-21-2007 12:30 AM

RBC Center apparently makes a claim of having the record at 134 dB.

[ QUOTE ]
According to The Hockey News, an unofficial reading of 134 decibels was measured during Game 7 of the 2006 Stanley Cup Finals against the Edmonton Oilers. It is the loudest reading ever at an American sporting event. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RBC_Center

[/ QUOTE ]

Some quick research says the pain threshold is usually defined at 120-130, but that level can be painful for some or awesome for others. If that's true I'd say Allen Fieldhouse is probably sitting around that 130 mark at it's loudest.

illini43 10-21-2007 12:39 AM

Wrigley Field in 2003 after Kerry Wood hit a game tying home-run in Game 7 of the NLCS - too bad it didn't help them win the game [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I was young when they demolished old Chicago Stadium but my parents tell me it got REALLY loud in there.

Bedreviter 10-21-2007 12:45 AM

Liverpool supporters earned some small consolation for their Carling Cup defeat after setting a new record for the world’s loudest fans.

Cardiff Council officials measured the noise levels at both ends of the ground for the final and the Merseysiders roared ahead with a maximum reading of 130.7 decibels, four decibels higher than Chelsea and two higher than the current world record for the 'Loudest Stadium Roar' held by the Denver Broncos (128.74 decibels, set in October 2000).

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/archi...50228-1354.htm

g-bebe 10-21-2007 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that's a sweet bit of trivia

youtalkfunny 10-21-2007 02:06 AM

If you're not smart (like me), and think that an "Earthquake Game" has something to do with the 1989 World Series (like I did), click the link and learn something (like I did).

Jack of Arcades 10-21-2007 02:12 AM

Cliffs Notes: Auburn @ LSU in 1988. Auburn is up 6-0 and it's late in the 4th. 1 minute left, 4th down for the Tigers. Tommy Hodson completes a pass to Eddie Fuller for a touchdown. The crowd reaction (probably 80,000 fans jumping up and down) registers on the LSU Seisomgraph.

bernie 10-21-2007 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
probably an implosion

[/ QUOTE ]
kingdome

Felt like an earthquake from about 5 mi away. I woke up to everything shaking.

b

nutshot2 10-21-2007 03:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're not smart (like me), and think that an "Earthquake Game" has something to do with the 1989 World Series (like I did), click the link and learn something (like I did).

[/ QUOTE ]

mblax10 10-21-2007 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Chicago Stadium

[/ QUOTE ]
1991 NHL All-Star game. Wayne Messmer sings the national anthem a few days after the Gulf War started. The place goes crazy.

iron81 10-21-2007 04:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Chicago Stadium

[/ QUOTE ]
1991 NHL All-Star game. Wayne Messmer sings the national anthem a few days after the Gulf War started. The place goes crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it was at Chicago Stadium, but not that one. During the 30's, there was a riot taking place in the stands, so the organist pressed all of the keys and instantly ended the riot. The thing was so loud that windows broke.

Uglyowl 10-21-2007 07:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Chicago Stadium

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Chilling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvpxVE_kQXg

IrishHand 10-21-2007 07:31 AM

Amerocentricity is a beautiful thing.

Loudest sports fans? Soccer fans.
Biggest sports stadiums? Soccer stadiums.

You do the math.

ZeTurd 10-21-2007 10:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Amerocentricity is a beautiful thing.

Loudest sports fans? Soccer fans.
Biggest sports stadiums? Soccer stadiums.

You do the math.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Ims_aerial.jpg

Indianapolis Motor Speedway - With a permanent seating capacity for more than 257,000 people [1] and infield seating that raises capacity to an approximate 400,000, it is the largest and highest-capacity sporting facility in history [2] (by comparison, the world's largest soccer stadium seats 150,000 spectators).

I have to imagine that it can get pretty loud in there...

sightless 10-21-2007 10:13 AM

but its not a stadium ):

mastin1 10-21-2007 10:57 AM

Well I wasn't there for the earthquake game, but I know from personal experience that Death Valley (LSU) gets so obnoxiously loud that you can't think at times.

*Was at 2003 LSU Georgia, Mauch threw last second touchdown to win
*Was at LSU Florida this year. 92,910 people when ape **** at the same time on last touchdown, loudest point of the game was the announcement that USC had lost to Stanford. CBS said it was 115 decibels, I swear it was louder.
*Was at LSU National Championship game in 03'... Couldn't hear my dad yelling at me after Vincent broke the opening run.

MyTurn2Raise 10-21-2007 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've only been in domes for basketball games, which only fill up about half, and are extreeeemely quiet. Even for the national championship.

I sort of think a smaller building with fewer people might be louder, but again I have no experience in a full dome. I do know that Allen Fieldhouse has definitely gone past the pain threshold at certain times (overtime vs Georgia Tech a couple of years ago, for instance).

[/ QUOTE ]

domes for football are much different than domes for basketball games

acoustics change alot

dome basketball games are pretty meh

dome football games are ridiculously loud...louder than anywhere else I've gone

bernie 10-21-2007 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
*Was at LSU Florida this year. loudest point of the game was the announcement that USC had lost to Stanford. CBS said it was 115 decibels, I swear it was louder.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the many things I love about college sports.

You just don't get that during a regular season NFL game.

b

ajmargarine 10-21-2007 04:12 PM

Metrodome during either of the Twins World Series runs.

Butcho22 10-21-2007 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that's a sweet bit of trivia

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, good to know that if you have a seismograph ~1,000 ft from a football game the needle will start jumping.

I highly doubt this is uncommon and it's funny some fanboy went and made a wiki about it.

HitShappens 10-21-2007 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's too bad they tore down the Old Barn in Chicago. Seeing a Blackhawks game there was the loudest thing I have ever heard. The second loudest was the game where Jordan hit six or seven three;s in a row against Portland I think. THAT crowd was insane. [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

ADLinden 10-21-2007 05:39 PM

I was at the OSU-Mich. game last year, was quite loud there.

Riverman 10-21-2007 05:41 PM

I just thought of tOSU/Iowa in '85. Spielman wins the game with a stop on 4th and 1, Keith Jackson says on the air that he fears for his safety because the press box is shaking.

BigSoonerFan 10-21-2007 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This. Was. Awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

That much excitement for beating Greece? :-)

Bedreviter 10-21-2007 06:16 PM

Considering how many freekicks in great position Beckham had wasted in that game, and the fact that that freekick-goal helped put them in the 2002 WC there was great relief and exitement after that goal.

MyTurn2Raise 10-21-2007 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just thought of tOSU/Iowa in '85. Spielman wins the game with a stop on 4th and 1, Keith Jackson says on the air that he fears for his safety because the press box is shaking.

[/ QUOTE ]

that is kind of common sitting in press boxes and balconies for upper decked college football stadiums

i've had the weird shaking/floating sensation at Camp Randall, Ohio Stadium, and of course Memorial Stadium (though not near often enough)