Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Prof. Dumbledore is Gay (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=526998)

Dynasty 10-20-2007 03:50 AM

Prof. Dumbledore is Gay

MSNBC story: JK Rowling says wizard Dumbledore is gay

To date, this is the only character in the Harry Potter universe who has been outed.

I can only assume Rowling waited until after the 7th book was published to reveal this to avoid controversey which could impact sales.

xxThe_Lebowskixx 10-20-2007 04:06 AM

Re: Prof. Dumbledore is Gay

eeeew

tedfurlong 10-20-2007 04:09 AM

Well now I'm definitely not gonna read her movies! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

btmagnetw 10-20-2007 04:13 AM

someone tell me how i'm supposed to react to this.

Eurotrash 10-20-2007 04:14 AM

no wonder Snape killed that [censored].

Rootabager 10-20-2007 04:14 AM

dumbledore is not gay. He loves snatch.

cobrakai111 10-20-2007 04:18 AM

My money was on Professor Flitwick being the gay one.

ESKiMO-SiCKNE5S 10-20-2007 04:58 AM

insert jokes about harry potter and his wand here

Kimbell175113 10-20-2007 05:05 AM

The yahoo story has a better quote:

"Oh, my god," Rowling concluded with a laugh, "the fan fiction."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071020/...s_harry_potter

TheOneWizard 10-20-2007 06:38 AM

Ten bucks says this will get far more press than the AP scandal.

Also WTF!

Das Budrick 10-20-2007 07:35 AM

lollllll wtf

NoMeansYes_ 10-20-2007 08:27 AM

She is so rich she can make anyone gay

Keepitsimple 10-20-2007 08:46 AM

lol

cwsiggy 10-20-2007 08:58 AM

Now if Christopher Tolkien outed Frodo and Sam - that would be news.

dersl 10-20-2007 09:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Now if Christopher Tolkien outed Frodo and Sam - that would be news.

[/ QUOTE ]

mmd

livin_a_lie 10-20-2007 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The yahoo story has a better quote:

"Oh, my god," Rowling concluded with a laugh, "the fan fiction."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071020/...s_harry_potter

[/ QUOTE ]

Another good quote,

[ QUOTE ]
Also, any male over the age of 15 who read these books is at least a little gay, Rowling said.

[/ QUOTE ]

KneeCo 10-20-2007 11:40 AM

The two articles give a very different version of the statement:
msnbc: "always thought Dumbledore was gay,"
Yahoo: "Dumbledore is gay,"

The former at least appreciates that she doesn't own her characters post-publication and she's no more than another in a sea of critics after the book hits shelves, the latter is a silly statement that doesn't really appreciate what being a storyteller is all about.

I think the discrepancy is msnbc's fault though, they seem to have just cut out "I always thought" for the beginning of the quote.

bobman0330 10-20-2007 12:00 PM

Intentional fallacy! Although it does kinda make sense from the text.

octopi 10-20-2007 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The two articles give a very different version of the statement:
msnbc: "always thought Dumbledore was gay,"
Yahoo: "Dumbledore is gay,"

The former at least appreciates that she doesn't own her characters post-publication and she's no more than another in a sea of critics after the book hits shelves, the latter is a silly statement that doesn't really appreciate what being a storyteller is all about.

I think the discrepancy is msnbc's fault though, they seem to have just cut out "I always thought" for the beginning of the quote.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, the stories are published by two different news agencies. The MSNBC version is via Reuters and the Yahoo one from AP. The news sites just publish fed stories from the agencies. Depending on what your news preferences are, this might make a lot of sense, considering editors and writers.

KRANTZ 10-20-2007 01:41 PM

i was actually lucky enough to win the random lottery and attend the event last night.

at first, she said "well, i've always thought dumbledore was gay." so it seemed open to interpretation more than anything else. but later, when elaborating, Jo seemed to become more confident and talked about how Dumbledore's great love was for Grindelwald - someone equal in intellect and someone he became as obsessed over as Bellatrix was with Voldemort.

then, amidst a sea of laughing and gasping, she said "if i only knew this would have made you all so happy, i would have let it out years ago! oh, the fan fiction now!"

so i think he is definitely definitively gay :-/

Duke 10-20-2007 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i was actually lucky enough to win the random lottery and attend the event last night.

at first, she said "well, i've always thought dumbledore was gay." so it seemed open to interpretation more than anything else. but later, when elaborating, Jo seemed to become more confident and talked about how Dumbledore's great love was for Grindelwald - someone equal in intellect and someone he became as obsessed over as Bellatrix was with Voldemort.

then, amidst a sea of laughing and gasping, she said "if i only knew this would have made you all so happy, i would have let it out years ago! oh, the fan fiction now!"

so i think he is definitely definitively gay :-/

[/ QUOTE ]

Mark that day in your history books. It's the first time someone came out of someone else's closet.

danjohncochane 10-20-2007 01:51 PM

LMAO

ChipWrecked 10-20-2007 01:51 PM

Wow. That was seriously uncalled for. Rowling might as well let the slash writers start applying for copyrights and publish the stuff.

While I must be one of the partially gays since I have read all the books, I never speculated on Dumbledore's sexuality. So I guess I'm partially straight or have a partial life or something.

[censored] up.

SackUp 10-20-2007 02:28 PM

WTF?

I guess after you have a billion dollars you can eff with people however you wish.

Franchise 60 10-20-2007 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
Also, any male over the age of 15 who read these books is at least a little gay, Rowling said.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

ImsaKidd 10-20-2007 04:51 PM

I wonder how the extremist Christian groups will react to this?

AE6 10-20-2007 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
most of them think the series is devilspawn anyway, so i dont imagine this will change much

React1oN 10-20-2007 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
most of them think the series is devilspawn anyway, so i dont imagine this will change much

[/ QUOTE ]

burningyen 10-20-2007 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My money was on Professor Flitwick being the gay one.

[/ QUOTE ]
The whole Hogwarts faculty (outside of Snape and Hagrid) is gay, obv.

Mr_Moore 10-20-2007 07:30 PM

Hold on a second. Just because Dumbledore liked the guy because they were intellectually on the same level does not necessarily mean that he wanted to [censored] him.

solids 10-20-2007 07:33 PM

I guess that's why Harry didn't want to keep Dumbledore's wand...

guids 10-20-2007 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hold on a second. Just because Dumbledore liked the guy because they were intellectually on the same level does not necessarily mean that he wanted to [censored] him.

[/ QUOTE ]

if the writer...of a fictional book...geared for little kids....says a character is gay, he/she is gay. I guess if the character disputes it in the next book, Ill have to think differently, but keep me posted, I may be wrong.

Case Closed 10-20-2007 09:36 PM

This is so very random and pretty much not needed. I don't see the point of coming out with this or saying that any person over the age of 15 is partially gay for reading her book. It's not insulting...but it's really just uncalled for to retrocaticly mess with beloved characters.

I feel like its the south park where they stopped the directors from messing with their films. Dumbldore no longer belongs to her, he belongs to everyone who read and enjoyed the books. She messed with his character makeup in a way that was not needed at all.

Kimbell175113 10-20-2007 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is so very random and pretty much not needed. I don't see the point of coming out with this or saying that any person over the age of 15 is partially gay for reading her book. It's not insulting...but it's really just uncalled for to retrocaticly mess with beloved characters.

I feel like its the south park where they stopped the directors from messing with their films. Dumbldore no longer belongs to her, he belongs to everyone who read and enjoyed the books. She messed with his character makeup in a way that was not needed at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, she just clarified. It would be like if there were a character whose last name was never mentioned in the text, and Rowling made one up and gave it to him/her. Dumbledore didn't go from straight to gay, he went to unknown sexuality to known sexuality.

Constable 10-20-2007 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a sad, sad man.

4 High 10-20-2007 10:03 PM

I find nothing wrong with this. It doesn't affect anything at really except make it more plausible as to why Dumbeldore was close with Grindelwald.

KneeCo 10-20-2007 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dumbledore didn't go from straight to gay, he went to unknown sexuality to unknown sexuality but gay in the current opinion of JKR is gay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who thinks there is now a correct, matter of fact answer to the question of "Is the character of DD in the HP books gay or straight?" doesn't understand anything about storytelling.

Kimbell175113 10-20-2007 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dumbledore didn't go from straight to gay, he went to unknown sexuality to unknown sexuality but gay in the current opinion of JKR is gay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who thinks there is now a correct, matter of fact answer to the question of "Is the character of DD in the HP books gay or straight?" doesn't understand anything about storytelling.

[/ QUOTE ]
The movies are still going, and according to the articles, this is affecting them (Rowling had to make a script change to avoid a heterosexual aspect with DD). I do get what you're saying, though.

edit: I think Ridley Scott is totally wrong about whether Harrison Ford is a replicant in Blade Runner, so I see where you're coming from. But Scott's assertion doesn't make sense with his film and is worth resisting because it messes with themes, whereas this fits perfectly and is much less important.

Case Closed 10-20-2007 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No, she just clarified. It would be like if there were a character whose last name was never mentioned in the text, and Rowling made one up and gave it to him/her. Dumbledore didn't go from straight to gay, he went to unknown sexuality to known sexuality.

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess I could see it like that. I just think it is very random and almost pointless to do this at this point. I don't know why this would help the series out as a whole. It just seems like she is throwing that out there so that she can stir up some forced controversy.

Case Closed 10-20-2007 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a sad, sad man.

[/ QUOTE ]
While this is a very true statement I don't think it's true because of this post.