Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Health and Fitness (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Bodybuilder vs Weightlifter (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=526866)

shemp 10-19-2007 09:32 PM

Bodybuilder vs Weightlifter

http://www.gurelozgur.com/images/Jay..._Sampiyonu.jpghttp://www.pyrros.gr/demo/images/photo/photo_5_6.jpg

These two guys are both around 5'8. One was an elite athlete, winning the most prestigious prize of his sport, the other an elite beauty contestant, winning the most prestigious prize of his field. The athlete competes in a weight class. They are both shown celebrating triumphant moments (not posing or competing). One of these guys is incredibly strong-- the other could suck a bowling ball through a garden hose.

My poll question isn't meant to have wide ranging programming implications. I'm merely curious how this forum breaks down as far as which body type is closer to ideal.

Personally, I think competetive bodybuilders are ridiculous, and I'm interested in how many prefer that aesthetic-- unfortunately, I don't have the means to truly investigate that question. But I thought I'd toss this poll out there.

SNOWBALL 10-19-2007 09:36 PM

Re: Bodybuilder vs Weightlifter

I thought this was gonna be about them fighting. The correct answer is the 14 year old girl in my judo school would kill both of them, but she'd have a harder time with the Greek.

thirddan 10-19-2007 09:38 PM

i see what you are going for, but i dont really think that picking an extreme example of an aesthetic lifter is what most people go for...most people that train for completely aesthetic goals would rather look like a mens health model than mrO...

that said, i would rather be dimas...and i doubt you get a single vote for cutler because the dude is ridiculously hyoooge...

istewart 10-19-2007 09:49 PM

If you give Dimas a tan and a carb-up he'd look just as big LDO.

shemp 10-19-2007 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i see what you are going for, but i dont really think that picking an extreme example of an aesthetic lifter is what most people go for...most people that train for completely aesthetic goals would rather look like a mens health model than mrO...

that said, i would rather be dimas...and i doubt you get a single vote for cutler because the dude is ridiculously hyoooge...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I'm going for anything other than satisfying my curiosity of how many poll respondents express a preference for the body builder aesthetic. I don't think they'll be many, but I'm open to be surprised.

shemp 10-19-2007 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you give Dimas a tan and a carb-up he'd look just as big LDO.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could make him look ripped, but the cork-smoker still has 50 pounds on him a the same height.

istewart 10-19-2007 10:09 PM

Was a joke :/

Answered Dimas.

Efourdee 10-19-2007 10:12 PM

How bout Frank Zane, I'd say he has a much more aesthetic body then cutler.

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/magazine03/zane.jpg

I'd take Frank Zane's body image over Pyros.

Has Cutler won Mr. Olympia?

oneeyejak 10-19-2007 10:13 PM

Only a tiny percentage of people would ever want to look as big and freaky as the heavyweights in the bodybuilding world.

By using an extreme example like you have, you are obviously going to get the results that you seek. I highly doubt you will find anyone here who wants to be as massive as Jay Cutler.

Here are some natural bodybuilders who would probably make the comparison of your poll a little less biased and a little more relevant.

http://www.burnthefat.com/img/tom_venuto.jpg

http://www.jon-harris.net/gfx/jon1.jpg

http://directory.muscledistrict.com/...0x150/1970.jpg

http://www.losefatandgainmuscle.com/...foreafter2.jpg

http://www.illpumpyouup.com/images/jonpolk.gif

shemp 10-19-2007 10:15 PM

Jay Cutler has apparently won the last two years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Olympia

(I'd like the record to show that I had to look this up, btw)

XXXNoahXXX 10-19-2007 10:17 PM

the greek dude's package looks bigger.

shemp 10-19-2007 10:17 PM

oneeyejak,

What are the results that I seek? I've stated my aim twice, but you are apparently too smart for that.

I've loaded the dice somehow to achieve some end? What?

edit: Btw, did you have a bunch of links to dudes at the ready?

Efourdee 10-19-2007 10:24 PM

Shemp, what do you think about frank zane's body vs. pyros. We are just going off looks right?

shemp 10-19-2007 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Shemp, what do you think about frank zane's body vs. pyros. We are just going off looks right?

[/ QUOTE ]

They are both handsome, well proportioned and developed fellas. At some point, I refuse to choose.

Efourdee 10-19-2007 10:32 PM

I think Frank Zane would win the poll. Cutler is a freak.

I always thought he looked better then Coleman though. Has Coleman stopped competing?

oneeyejak 10-19-2007 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya think?

Whats this?

[ QUOTE ]
One was an elite athlete, winning the most prestigious prize of his sport, the other an elite beauty contestant, winning the most prestigious prize of his field.

[/ QUOTE ]

and this?
[ QUOTE ]
One of these guys is incredibly strong-- the other could suck a bowling ball through a garden hose.

[/ QUOTE ]

And by the way, not just one of these guys is "incredibly strong". Do a litte research about Cutler and see what kind of weight he moves around.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good one. I almost choked on my beer.

shemp 10-19-2007 10:34 PM

Here's a different weight lifter.

http://www.strengthtech.com/photos/w.../alex/alex.jpg

Like I said, I'm not trying to suggest programming implications or draw any sort of far reaching conclusions. Clearly, there is a minority that prefers the Cutler look-- I'd like to get a fix on it (out of curiosity). Unfortunately, I don't have the means to accurately identify the size of that minority, so I toss this poll on the pile.

thirddan 10-19-2007 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ef,

the older school bb's looked human though...dudes like cutler and coleman look like caricatures of what muscle heads look like, freakish...

i think it would be a tough choice between someone like zane vs dimas...i think zane has a "better" body, but dimas can snatch like 400lbs, thats [censored] insane...

Efourdee 10-19-2007 10:35 PM

Oh and you should have posted Shane Hammon as the cutler comparison.

http://msnbcmedia2.msn.com/j/msnbc/C...2p.hmedium.jpg

thirddan 10-19-2007 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Frank Zane would win the poll. Cutler is a freak.

I always thought he looked better then Coleman though. Has Coleman stopped competing?

[/ QUOTE ]

i think coleman came in 3rd this year...and i think he also announced that it was his last year going for mr0...

SmileyEH 10-19-2007 10:37 PM

Shane Hammon couldn't make a Bulgarian national weightlifting team, even though he is one of the best american lifters of all time.

Efourdee 10-19-2007 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ef,

the older school bb's looked human though...dudes like cutler and coleman look like caricatures of what muscle heads look like, freakish...

i think it would be a tough choice between someone like zane vs dimas...i think zane has a "better" body, but dimas can snatch like 400lbs, thats [censored] insane...

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

I respect both "sports". Jay Cutler's physique impresses me, even though I would never wish it on myself.

shemp 10-19-2007 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya think?

Whats this?

[ QUOTE ]
One was an elite athlete, winning the most prestigious prize of his sport, the other an elite beauty contestant, winning the most prestigious prize of his field.

[/ QUOTE ]

and this?
[ QUOTE ]
One of these guys is incredibly strong-- the other could suck a bowling ball through a garden hose.

[/ QUOTE ]

And by the way, not just one of these guys is "incredibly strong". Do a litte research about Cutler and see what kind of weight he moves around.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good one. I almost choked on my beer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the competitive body builder looks foolish. I stated that in my initial post. I have no interest in researching Jay Cutler, but I'll (probably) read what you write about him.

Are you going to tell my what my agenda is? You're accusing me of something. Tell me what it is, please.

Efourdee 10-19-2007 10:41 PM

He thinks your secretly in love with Cutler and looking for approval from others via a poll.

oneeyejak 10-19-2007 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I think competetive bodybuilders are ridiculous

[/ QUOTE ]

As someone who used to compete, personally, I think your comparison is ridiculous.

Why the extremes?

Every picture that I posted is of a competitive bodybuilder.

shemp 10-19-2007 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I think competetive bodybuilders are ridiculous

[/ QUOTE ]

As someone who used to compete, personally, I think your comparison is ridiculous.

Why the extremes?

Every picture that I posted is of a competitive bodybuilder.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was under the impression that Mr Olympia was the most prestigious event. I don't pretend to know anything about body building. In fact, I started by googling Mr Universe and somehow got to Mr Olympia.

How is my comparison ridiculous given my stated goals? You are also invited to tell me what my real/secret goals are too.

oneeyejak 10-19-2007 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but I'll (probably) read what you write about him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally think he's a freak. But I admire the insane intensity and dedication that has propelled him to the top of his sport.

But, since you did say "one of these guys is incredibly strong", here is a link to a video of Cutler training. I'm sure you know that each plate is 45 pounds. I'll let you count them.

Cutler Training

SmileyEH 10-19-2007 11:35 PM

Yeah that 315 deadlift sure blew my mind.

shemp 10-19-2007 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally think he's a freak. But I admire the insane intensity and dedication that has propelled him to the top of his sport.

But, since you did say "one of these guys is incredibly strong", here is a link to a video of Cutler training. I'm sure you know that each plate is 45 pounds. I'll let you count them.

Cutler Training

[/ QUOTE ]

I made it about 30 seconds. You're going to half to tell me what his impressive feats of strength were. As far as the squat like thing in the smith machine-- does it make you think he can front squat 4 plates?

Is that what I was left to count?

You should just state things directly. I'm still hoping you'll provide an answer to whatever you take as my agenda or whatever it is that I'm doing that is unfair.

I'm not going to argue it, you can call whatever you like a sport, but I find bodybuilding as sport amusing. Presumably the Miss USA isn't sport and I'm an ass for putting them in the same category?

shemp 10-19-2007 11:50 PM

HAAHAHAHA

I just started watching again. I think you wanted me to look at the leg press of many plates just after 30 seconds.

Funny that I bailed just before.

I have no idea what to make of leg press. Not a movement I do or know anything about other than that it is good for quad development.

Efourdee 10-19-2007 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cutler Training

[/ QUOTE ]

I made it about 30 seconds. You're going to half to tell me what his impressive feats of strength were. As far as the squat like thing in the smith machine-- does it make you think he can front squat 4 plates?

Is that what I was left to count?

You should just state things directly. I'm still hoping you'll provide an answer to whatever you take as my agenda or whatever it is that I'm doing that is unfair.

I'm not going to argue it, you can call whatever you like a sport, but I find bodybuilding as sport amusing. Presumably the Miss USA isn't sport and I'm an ass for putting them in the same category?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think he sensed the humor in your post. He's been attacked in almost every post he has made and you went and attacked bodybuilding again.

Efourdee 10-19-2007 11:51 PM

The shot of his back right after the 315 deadlift is pretty sick.

shemp 10-19-2007 11:57 PM

Yeah. I'm beginning to see the disconnect here.

I'm not into BB, and I'll occasionally take a shot for self amusement -- but I'm not trying convince anyone of my view. I'm not invested. I don't care. To each his own. And if I thought I could help an aspiring BBer achieve his goals in this forum, I'd say what I could.

I would like to know how many people think the current Mr O looked cool, and I don't have the means to find out-- I don't think a lot of folks, but clearly some. The present poll is merely my way of expressing my interest in this unanswerable question.

oneeyejak 10-19-2007 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Try this one big shooter. Oh ya, I highly doubt he's doing singals. He's repping that.

Cutler

shemp 10-20-2007 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Try this one big shooter. Oh ya, I highly doubt he's doing singals. He's repping that.

Cutler

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying that pull is off the floor?

btw, I can do dead reps at 315 too (weighing 170), should I buy a thong?

oneeyejak 10-20-2007 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying it is, it is. And if you have to ask a question like that, it shows your absolute ignorance in the area of bodybuilding.

Why don't you stick to poker. I imagine you have a little better understanding of that subject.

oneeyejak 10-20-2007 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
btw, I can do dead reps at 315 too (weighing 170), should I buy a thong?

[/ QUOTE ]

You probably should. You don't want anyone to see your pantyline when you're wearing your skirt.

shemp 10-20-2007 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying it is, it is. And if you have to ask a question like that, it shows your absolute ignorance in the area of bodybuilding.

Why don't you stick to poker. I imagine you have a little better understanding of that subject.

[/ QUOTE ]

It appears to me that either the vid doesn't start at the beginning of the lift, or the lift isn't off the floor.

oneeyejak 10-20-2007 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It appears to me that either the vid doesn't start at the beginning of the lift, or the lift isn't off the floor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually its pretty damn obvious that the vid doesn't start at the beginning of the lift.

shemp 10-20-2007 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually its pretty damn obvious that the vid doesn't start at the beginning of the lift.

[/ QUOTE ]

So then how do you know it is off the floor?