Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   New name for the forum - voting thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=525417)

El Diablo 10-17-2007 10:38 PM

New name for the forum - voting thread

'How bout just changing it to the letters EDF that don't mean anything'

That's probably the winner. But I want to at least consider a few options. So, a poll! This is not really to pick a winner, moreso to exclude choices from consideration.

LyinKing 10-17-2007 11:39 PM

Re: New name for the forum - voting thread

Just people know where this is coming from:

An agora was a public space and an essential part of an ancient Greek polis or city-state. An agora acted as a marketplace and a forum to the citizens of the polis. Agora also means a place of assembly in any Ancient Greek state. It is sometimes used in modern language to refer to a crossroads, either metaphorically (the point or concept which links, or is the crossroads of multiple related concepts), or literally, a point at which many physical roads or paths meet.

ItalianFX 10-17-2007 11:54 PM

I'd rather have EDF than any of those other options. The Smoking Room would be a far second, but manageable.

I think those names are too sophisticated.

jono 10-18-2007 12:28 AM

write in vote for: Other Better Topics

or: OOT4AP (OOT for advanced posters)

traz 10-18-2007 12:51 AM

Those three in the middle are too obscure imo. If you're going to change the name, it should conjure up an instant visual image.

WhoIam 10-18-2007 01:05 AM

Write in vote for unchanged--ED just makes me think of erectile dysfunction.

Dominic 10-18-2007 01:09 AM

wow, those are some horrible names...do they have any special significance that I'm missing?

10-18-2007 01:17 AM

Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Mermade 10-18-2007 01:37 AM

Again, does the current name really need fixing? I think EDF is a strong favorite simply because it evokes the current forum name. Really then, what is the point?

Zeno 10-18-2007 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're going to change the name, it should conjure up an instant visual image.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good idea. El D's may work. If conjures up the image of a somewhat shady but friendly bar or gathering place with just enough sinister and sophisticated atmosphere to have a outlaw tone to it. Something like an old-time, first-class speakeasy or jazz club, and you had to know the password or past the scrutiny of the doorman to get in. Perhaps view the name as a classy neon sign and someone could come up with a stylish logo and font etc. Something to ponder on anyway.

-Zeno

Dan. 10-18-2007 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather have EDF than any of those other options. The Smoking Room would be a far second, but manageable.

I think those names are too sophisticated.

[/ QUOTE ]

sledghammer 10-18-2007 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you're going to change the name, it should conjure up an instant visual image.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good idea. El D's may work. If conjures up the image of a somewhat shady but friendly bar or gathering place with just enough sinister and sophisticated atmosphere to have a outlaw tone to it. Something like an old-time, first-class speakeasy or jazz club, and you had to know the password or past the scrutiny of the doorman to get in. Perhaps view the name as a classy neon sign and someone could come up with a stylish logo and font etc. Something to ponder on anyway.

-Zeno

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked "Rick's Cafe" but I don't think it really needs changing.

Zeno 10-18-2007 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wow, those are some horrible names...do they have any special significance that I'm missing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Chautauqua

Lyceum

Not horrible IMO - quizzical or perhaps somewhat quixotic, and only one is rather obscure.

-Zeno

AEKDBet 10-18-2007 01:58 AM

Why not pick something random+funny, and change it whenever something else better strikes the mind.
duh yo. picking one is like getting married. (lol 'chair, i mean everyone else but you obv)

Event Duality 10-18-2007 04:03 AM

I still think it should be The Aristocrats. offTopic was spot on.

Soulman 10-18-2007 05:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

pete fabrizio 10-18-2007 07:16 AM

those choices are all awful, but EDF is by far the lesser evil.

inferno 10-18-2007 07:21 AM

I think the choice is already made

XXXNoahXXX 10-18-2007 07:28 AM

El D,

If you are changing the name just so that its not "your" forum, I will be glad to take the reigns.

One vote for Noah's Nifty Knowledge Nook.

ChipWrecked 10-18-2007 08:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Chautauqua

-Zeno

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I thought somebody was trying to slip their hometown in New York in there.

jeffnc 10-18-2007 10:26 AM

The Verizon Classic Diablo Online Discussion Group, brought to you by L'Oreal - Because You're Worth It.

cianosheehan 10-18-2007 11:32 AM

Did you purposely arrange the words by number of characters, to look like steps?

z28dreams 10-18-2007 11:50 AM

Calling it 'Lyceum', 'Agora', or 'Chautauqua' are terrible forums names for reasons already given.

Consider new users who will miss it entirely, existing users who won't be able to find it, etc.

If you're looking to evoke an image while still getting your name out of it, maybe do something like "El D's Elite Forum", or "El D's A-forum"

El Diablo 10-18-2007 12:40 PM

inferno,

It's easy to change names, so please don't hold back w/ any genius ideas.

PITTM 10-18-2007 01:42 PM

el d,

please confirm that changing the name away from "el diablo's general discussion" isn't a precursor to the departure of our masked friend.

BretWeir 10-18-2007 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-Zeno

[/ QUOTE ]

The Speakeasy? This fits the image and I like it better than the current choices.

I still prefer unchanged or EDF, though.

2/325Falcon 10-18-2007 06:55 PM

Gentlemen's Club from Wiki. No, they aren't strip joints. Maybe one of the names will work. Cosmos Club? Bohemian Club?

Aloysius 10-18-2007 06:58 PM

EDF Stays
Ban all the other names

-Al

ElliotR 10-18-2007 10:49 PM

EDF is the best of the bunch but even better would be:

EDF Discussion Forum

kutuz_off 10-18-2007 10:58 PM

Elitist Defense Force

ike 10-19-2007 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is excellent imo

El Diablo 10-19-2007 03:14 AM

ike,

Your mom was excellent imo

TheJubilantMale 10-19-2007 07:01 AM

Fancy OOT

MagicNinja 10-19-2007 07:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is excellent imo

[/ QUOTE ]

Phil153 10-19-2007 10:10 AM

They all suck except for EDF, which only has marginal suck.

Some other ideas which suck less:

Mongo's Barnyard
The Senate
El Diablo's General Discussion
WASP Forum
2+2 BellTower
Elite Discussion Forum
Skull and Bones

Actually Gentleman's Club suggested above works quite well IMO, plus it will draw the ire of other forums, which is good for traffic.

Zeno 10-19-2007 10:39 AM

I suggest: The Salon [See here: Gathering ]

[ QUOTE ]
A salon is a gathering of people under the roof of an inspiring hostess or host, partly to amuse one another and partly to refine their taste and increase their knowledge through conversation and readings, often consciously following Horace's definition of the aims of poetry, "to please and educate" (aut delectare aut prodesse est). The term is commonly associated with French literary and philosophical gatherings of the 17th century and 18th century, though the practice continues today in many cities around the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since the name is associated with France and of French derivation this has the additional potential to annoy almost everyone and put the peons of 2+2 in their place.

-Zeno

suzzer99 10-19-2007 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Chautauqua

-Zeno

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I thought somebody was trying to slip their hometown in New York in there.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're all a bunch of Philistines.

Look it up.

ItalianFX 10-19-2007 11:42 AM

I had a good name that I thought of last night, but of course, sleeping through the night made me forget about it.

I just thought of another one:

The War Room

Fuzz 10-19-2007 12:38 PM

Leather Apron Club
Benjamin Franklin initially gained acclaim through his organization of the Junto (or the Leather Apron Club), a small group of young men who engaged in business and debated morality, politics, and philosophy. Through his work with the club, Ben Franklin is credited with initiating a paid city watch, volunteer fire department, subscription library (Library Company of Philadelphia), and the American Philosophical Society, which promoted scientific and intellectual dialogue and, to this day, is one of the nation's premiere scholarly associations.

7ontheline 10-19-2007 07:27 PM

You stopped lurking and THIS is your first post?