Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Best Player a site has given a sponsorship deal to (thus far) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=524793)

Gobias Ind. 10-17-2007 04:59 AM

Best Player a site has given a sponsorship deal to (thus far)

With all the recent Pokerstars Buzz surrounding DN, I'm gonna have to go with the obvious and say it's him. He's a good name for a site. He's vocal. He's a master of karate and friendship for everyone.

Can a case be made for anyone else?

Was Stars too late cashing in on Moneymaker? No one player in particular on FTP really stands out besides Ivey. I'm sure we'll see the "Mark Seif: Absolute" jokes as well. Clearly he's "night man" to DN's "day man". OK, I'm tired and my roomate got that damn song stuck in my head and this thread was a dumb idea but I'm gonna let the mods delete it before i abort it

Veecee 10-17-2007 05:05 AM

Re: Best Player a site has given a sponsorship deal to (thus far)

I'd probably say DN too, but Hellmuth is close.

VPIP100 10-17-2007 05:24 AM

John Juanda on FTP, LDO

10-17-2007 05:28 AM

Gus would be a good choice as well.

Definitely no coincidence that the big games on Full Tilt almost exploded when he was signed.

Creating a buzz and seemingly attracting lots of new people.

I don't remember exactly how many people on avr played on FT 18 or so months ago but I do remember the number increasing significantly after the big games had been going for a while.

Of course the situation with Party and US customers played in a lot here too. Probably more but he has definitely impacted the big games and the high stakes poker world a whole lot.

nhWPjstUnLKy 10-17-2007 05:32 AM

Ray Rahme

kemystery 10-17-2007 05:36 AM

Matt Hughes

OnlinePro 10-17-2007 05:54 AM

quiet lion... no contest

Bavid Denyamine 10-17-2007 05:55 AM

stevepa wins the PCA, gets like a lifetime deal with pstars apparently, daut wins PCA and gets...?

edit: obv no disrespect meant to either, just saying steve got the best of it imo

Tooorero86 10-17-2007 06:21 AM

def Gus

Franchise 60 10-17-2007 06:50 AM

I strongly approve of any thread with references to "Its Always Sunny in Philadelpha."

effinA 10-17-2007 07:41 AM

champion of the sun....day mannn...

hahaaa
L
O
L

fourkingbs 10-17-2007 07:54 AM

rofl @ 2p2rs

how many ppl have some idea what they are talking about?

west_eh 10-17-2007 09:52 AM

Bruce Buffer
/thread

RichGangi 10-17-2007 09:56 AM

BarryG.
/thread

dying2win 10-17-2007 10:04 AM

mandy b
/thread

zen_rounder 10-17-2007 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
def Gus

[/ QUOTE ]gus playing plo / 08 provides great viewing entertainment [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

october sky 10-17-2007 11:00 AM

Gus and David B are great for Full Tilt because they are constantly online playing.

RobBizzle 10-17-2007 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
mandy b
/thread

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is this?

Dan. 10-17-2007 12:03 PM

Wil Wheaton

timex 10-17-2007 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
stevepa wins the PCA, gets like a lifetime deal with pstars apparently, daut wins PCA and gets...?

edit: obv no disrespect meant to either, just saying steve got the best of it imo

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, Daut got the best of it

Steve gets a deal that is worth MUCH less than the ability to play on other sites for a player of his caliber.

beanie 10-17-2007 12:15 PM

Ivey is very close to Daniel. On the open market he would command similar dollars. Ivey also is good looking and plays super high and it is chronicled that he is a big winner. Believe it or not there are not that many television pros you can say that about.

I would say Ivey is at least close to on par with Daniel.

All of that said, Phil Hellmuth is the king of all kings. You can be guaranteed that the first conversation Daniel's agent had after the Stars deal broke was with UB. Hellmuth is a beast in terms of hits.

Bulletproof Monk 10-17-2007 12:28 PM

hellmuth/duke no contest.

WJL 10-17-2007 12:39 PM

Daniel makes better television, but Ivey is the best cash-game player, no doubt.

For Hold 'em tournaments, hard to argue with Hellmuth.

Scansion 10-17-2007 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Daniel makes better television, but Ivey is the best cash-game player, no doubt.

For Hold 'em tournaments, hard to argue with Hellmuth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much sums it up.

bronx bomber 10-17-2007 12:54 PM

If Mark Seif truly has access to the superuser account, he wins hands down.

Gobias Ind. 10-17-2007 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought of this too. Does/did Hellmuth drum up a lot of business for UB? He is definitely is a recognizable face. Is his publicity; bad publicity, or is there no such thing in terms of the op?

teddyFBI 10-17-2007 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought of this too. Does/did Hellmuth drum up a lot of business for UB? He is definitely is a recognizable face. Is his publicity; bad publicity, or is there no such thing in terms of the op?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hellmuth is the only thing giving UB even an ounce of credibility as a reputable online poker site. And even then, they're barely hanging in there.

MissT74 10-17-2007 02:10 PM

No contest. Chris Moneymaker.

Let's face it, there is no way poker would be where it is today, or was last year and in 2006, if Chris had not won.

I don't personally care for the guy, but it was the best sponsorship deal to ever be given out.

Now, if you're talking about the best sponsorship financial deal that a player got, there's no way for us to know. They don't make it public.

I'm assuming you're talking about the best sponsorship deal made by a site in terms of publicity.

T

Bonified 10-17-2007 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I deliberately avoided UB because at one point it seemed like they were going out of their way to sponsor all the most obnoxious professionals they could find. But I am very probably in the minority of people who would actually cut their nose off to spite their face like that :-)

shaniac 10-17-2007 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can be guaranteed that the first conversation Daniel's agent had after the Stars deal broke was with UB. Hellmuth is a beast in terms of hits.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this mean?

TomHimself 10-17-2007 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, Daut got the best of it

Steve gets a deal that is worth MUCH less than the ability to play on other sites for a player of his caliber.

[/ QUOTE ]im sure steve plays on other sites, no?

Lee Ezell 10-17-2007 04:02 PM

I think for the person new to the game, it has to be DN. He is going to do so much to promote anything he is associated with, he is totally non-offensive to the average person, and he has an everyman appearance.

But for the person looking to get serious about poker, the FTP team has to be the greatest attraction.

FWIW, I actually tend to choose where I lose my $ on different criteria. I played exclusively @ Stars for two years while they sponsored the Aston Martin's in ALMS and Le Mans racing to reward them for supporting motorsports. I now tend to play at FTP more because of their involvement with PAD and massive $ they are spending on promoting poker here in the states.

RodeoBlue 10-17-2007 04:05 PM

Mike Sexton =)

Gobias Ind. 10-17-2007 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No contest. Chris Moneymaker.

Let's face it, there is no way poker would be where it is today, or was last year and in 2006, if Chris had not won.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did anyone sign Chris right away after he won it? I dont remember if he was on Party commercials after his Main Event or not. I do know Stars didn't sign him until after Joe Hachem's win.

grdred944 10-17-2007 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ivey is very close to Daniel. On the open market he would have command ed similar dollars about two years ago. Ivey also is good looking and plays super high and it is chronicled that he is a big winner. Believe it or not there are not that many television pros you can say that about.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[ QUOTE ]
All of that said, Phil Hellmuth is the king of all kings. You can be guaranteed that the first conversation Daniel's agent had after the Stars deal broke was with UB. Hellmuth is a beast in terms of hits.

[/ QUOTE ]

As much as some of us can't stand the guy you have to tip your hat to his marketing genius.

Greg (FossilMan) 10-17-2007 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did anyone sign Chris right away after he won it? I dont remember if he was on Party commercials after his Main Event or not. I do know Stars didn't sign him until after Joe Hachem's win.

[/ QUOTE ]

What?

Chris was representing PS and doing commercials for them way before I won the ME. In fact, I am pretty sure that when ESPN ran the original broadcasts of the 2003 ME, PS was running commercials featuring Chris. I could be wrong about that, and the PS-Moneymaker commercials might not have hit the air until the reruns were going, but those commercials definitely ran prior to the 2004 ME.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

foldmasta 10-17-2007 05:22 PM

FTP, Mike Matusow. Not even close

JJT 10-17-2007 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wil Wheaton

[/ QUOTE ]
Isn't he dead?

beanie 10-17-2007 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You can be guaranteed that the first conversation Daniel's agent had after the Stars deal broke was with UB. Hellmuth is a beast in terms of hits.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is market economics. Daniel raised the bar and Phil will benefit from that.

EwokNinja 10-17-2007 06:26 PM

You guys are all wrong. I'm shocked that I, a 4 post no talent a$$ clown, was the first person to identify the hands down best internet poker sponsorship deal of all. So disappointed in everyone.

By far, Full Tilt cashed in huge with its forward thinking and groundbreaking strategy of signing David Chiu so he could 2-table $2/4 7-Card Stud and occassionally play No Limit Hold'em with at most, 50bb per table at any one time. I mean seriously, it's no contest.