Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   How many people would you give up your net worth for? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=523974)

THAY3R 10-16-2007 02:48 AM

How many people would you give up your net worth for?

Pretend someone kidnapped someone close to you, and the only way he would survive would be for you to transfer all of your assets over to the kidnapper. In this scenario assume this is the only way for said person to live.

How many people would you do this for?

FWIW I am pretty selfish and well off, and I found it surprising how many people I think I would do this for.

edfurlong 10-16-2007 02:52 AM

Re: How many people would you give up your net worth for?

I wanted to say just my parents, but then I kept thinking of other people and the number started getting pretty large. I'll probably cut off all contact with everyone I know just in case.

ASPoker8 10-16-2007 02:52 AM

20+ [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

KneeCo 10-16-2007 02:54 AM

I don't have money worth taking a pizza hostage over, but if I did and the hypothetical scenario emerged where I had to pay all m money in ransom (and there was no possibility of someone else paying, paying not working in saving the person, saving occurring by other means, or consideration of not-paying ransoms as a deterrent type stuff) I can't imagine I could live with myself if I didn't pay the ransom even for a stranger let alone someone I know; or maybe Im not understanding you.

Hollywade 10-16-2007 03:08 AM

Zero. They would understand.

smartalecc5 10-16-2007 03:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Zero. They would understand.

[/ QUOTE ]
I hope you don't expect to be bailed out of anything you selfish bastard

PhilBeans 10-16-2007 03:33 AM

I"d give my 100$ to just about anyone.

hoyasnaxa 10-16-2007 03:40 AM

I would do this for anyone, except people that I actually think are bad for society (Bush, Osama). Apparently money is that important.

NNNNOOOOONAN 10-16-2007 03:43 AM

depends on how long it would take me to make it back.

for example, if im worth 100k, i could more easily give it up for a single person if i knew that i could just get a stake from someone and grind my 100k back in like 4 months.
if i had a minimum wage job, but got lucky with some random stock investments, to make 100k, i would probably not give it up for anyone outside of my very close blood relation.

Benholio 10-16-2007 03:46 AM

Can I give them my credit card debt?

Xibalba 10-16-2007 03:54 AM

I'd weigh the benefits of saving X person vs. the benefits of letting them go, and choose accordingly.
Talented friend might be saved, while old relative who happens to include me in his will might not. Make it EV+.

DCJ311 10-16-2007 04:22 AM

totally relative to the value of the person. society leads us to believe people are more valuable than they really are. all men are created equal, but we do not all die equal.

tarheeljks 10-16-2007 04:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
totally relative to the value of the person. society leads us to believe people are more valuable than they really are. all men are created equal, but we do not all die equal.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I'd weigh the benefits of saving X person vs. the benefits of letting them go, and choose accordingly.
Talented friend might be saved, while old relative who happens to include me in his will might not. Make it EV+.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are both soulless bastards. i'd say saving the life of someone you care about is always +ev

edit: imo

kevin017 10-16-2007 05:29 AM

would my decision and the outcome it caused be public knowledge? I still think anyone being honest is probably going to say 20+ unless you're an absolute hermit, but the situation being public would make it skyrocket even more.

XXXNoahXXX 10-16-2007 05:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can I give them my school debt?

[/ QUOTE ]

Xibalba 10-16-2007 06:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

you are both soulless bastards. i'd say saving the life of someone you care about is always +ev

[/ QUOTE ]

Note that in my own "calculation", I'd "quantify" emotional factors. So, I'd probably go busto to save my dog while my neighbours would be pretty much screwed.

edit: I don't object that much to the soulless bastard characterization, though.

DCJ311 10-16-2007 06:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

edit: imo

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why don't you donate all your money to starving families in East St. Louis, or Ethiopia, etc ? Surely no one there dies due to a lack of income.

Edit: misread the part where you wrote "people you care about." This changes things obviously since those people have an inherent higher value [to me].

PokerAmateur4 10-16-2007 06:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I"d give my 100$ to just about anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]Strangers and stuff? How many times?

wtfsvi 10-16-2007 07:53 AM

The just about anyone answers seem pretty hypocritical. You could probably save several lives with your net worth already, so why don't you?

A quick count put me at 6-10. It's certainly not lower than 8, but it's hard to say. Like someone said, if other people would know about this, I would go higher. The 8 are the people I think I would save without the added bonus of becoming a "hero" (and the deterrent of beign an anti-hero).

Keepitsimple 10-16-2007 08:09 AM

I would probably pay for everyone I like and know. I couldnt live with myself otherwise.. :/

SEABEAST 10-16-2007 08:39 AM

100% chance of them surviving vs 100% chance they die?

20+

Would be a lot less if the outcomes were unknown

pnazari 10-16-2007 08:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Can I give them my debt?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

DBSpecial 10-16-2007 09:18 AM

Anyone, because my net worth is negative. No problem giving my debt away.

Los Feliz Slim 10-16-2007 10:24 AM

OP is pretty clearly trying to figure out which poster's family members to kidnap. Nice try, you Yankeee bastard.

traz 10-16-2007 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm one of them amirite adam

ASPoker8 10-16-2007 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm one of them amirite adam

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, you are #22

After running a LifeEV analysis I concluded that it is optimal for me to only save 21

tough luck mang [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

nsdjoe 10-16-2007 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
(and the deterrent of beign an anti-hero).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you mean "villain". Anti-hero doesn't really work in this scenario.

KneeCo 10-16-2007 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

A quick count put me at 6-10. It's certainly not lower than 8,

[/ QUOTE ]

This made me laugh a lot.

10-16-2007 12:05 PM

Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

fiskebent 10-16-2007 12:14 PM

I think I'd actively have to hate someone not to do this.

Jim14Qc 10-16-2007 12:20 PM

20+, but that's only because I'm 18 and my only net worth is in my poker accoutns and ~5k in savings.

SackUp 10-16-2007 12:22 PM

20+ easy.

Arito 10-16-2007 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I'd actively have to hate someone not to do this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. I'll do this for everyone I like or love and probably every person those people like or love as well.

The question becomes a lot more difficult if you not only lose everything you have, but go in to deep debt as well.

My net worth isn't much though, like $8k.

wtfsvi 10-16-2007 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(and the deterrent of beign an anti-hero).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you mean "villain". Anti-hero doesn't really work in this scenario.

[/ QUOTE ] Right. Anti-hero has positive connotations in Norwegian too, so I should have sensed it. Villain it is.

KneeCo:
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A quick count put me at 6-10. It's certainly not lower than 8,

[/ QUOTE ]

This made me laugh a lot.

[/ QUOTE ] huh? You realize I'm refering to 6-10 as one of the options in the poll? Just because it looks funny out of context? I guess you are easilly amused [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

stinkypete 10-16-2007 12:58 PM

the median net worth around here is probably pretty damn close to zero, so the question sucks.

daryn 10-16-2007 01:10 PM

right, the question should be, let's say your net worth is $100k.. would you do it, and for how many people?

mak15 10-16-2007 01:18 PM

i have some money and i'd give it up for just about anyone i know and think is a decent person. i may even do it for relative or even complete strangers, i dunno.

oscark 10-16-2007 01:50 PM

Looking at this from a different angle...I live in a place where being kidnapped is far from likely, but more probable than almost anywhere else in the world. So I have given it some thought. Lets say I was kidnapped and the ransom was $1,000,000 or I would be killed. I don't have any rich relatives who would pony up. To raise a million would mean leaving a lot of people very close to me in awful financial situations.

I honestly don't think I could live with myself knowing family members and friends would struggle financially for years. Sure my mind would likely change if I was in the actual situation, but I think I would prefer death.

I guess my situation is unique though in that I choose to live where I do. No one else other than myself should have to bear responsibilty for risk I willingly assume.

Oscar

prohornblower 10-16-2007 02:30 PM

One person, wife. Of course I'd expect her to disperse it amongst kids, if any.

NicksDad1970 10-16-2007 03:02 PM

I would be doing a disservice to someone by giving them my net worth.

People I'd take a bullet for? Prob 50