Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   PokerFink's 2007 NFC Rankings (Week 6) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=523915)

PokerFink 10-16-2007 12:58 AM

PokerFink\'s 2007 NFC Rankings (Week 6)

Disclaimer: My rankings are NOT a traditional power rankings. They are projective, meaning we are ranking based on where teams will finish. Rankings are done based on the playoff guidelines, meaning the division winners get the top four seeds. For a full explanation, please see this post. Also, when I list a team's NFL rank, it's based on DVOA unless otherwise noted.

</font>[/b]<font color="blue"> 1. DALLAS (5-1) </font><font color="red"> </font>: This wasn't about the AFC's superiority over the NFC. This was about New England's superiority over everyone. And they're taking no prisoners - with two minutes left and a big lead they're in shotgun, and with 25 seconds left they're pounding away and running up the score. For whatever reason, be it spy gate or something else, the Patriots are out to obliterate the rest of the NFL this year. <font color="purple"> NEXT: vs. Minnesota.

</font>
<font color="blue"> 2. GREEN BAY (5-1) </font><font color="red"> </font>: So much for karmic retribution - Green Bay recovered a ridiculous 6 of 8 fumbles this week, including a 3rd quarter fumble-six by Charles Woodson which proved to be the game winning score. Meanwhile, do you think Favre is mad at James Jones for those two fumbles last week? He only looked Jones' way twice after the fumbles last week, and then didn't throw him a single pass this week. <font color="purple"> NEXT: Bye.

</font>
<font color="blue"> 3. TAMPA BAY (4-2) </font><font color="red"> *UP 1* </font>: Up against the NFL's #1 pass defense and with no running game to help out, Jeff Garcia did a helluva job, completing 21 of 30 for 274 yards and a score. The defense did the rest, getting three turnovers to secure a big win over - get this - a tough AFC opponent. Go NFC! <font color="purple"> NEXT: @ Detroit.

</font>
<font color="blue"> 4. SEATTLE (3-3) </font><font color="red"> *DOWN 1* </font>: Having complained about Andy Reid's clock and game management over the past eight seasons, I finally have an answer for why he's a game theory idiot: he is a disciple of the master idiot, Mike Holmgren. <font color="purple"> NEXT: vs. St. Louis.

</font>
<font color="blue"> 5. NEW YORK (4-2) </font><font color="red"> *UP 2* </font>: The Giants continued their remarkable turnaround, which shows no signs of slowing down with bottom feeders San Francisco and Miami coming up. The G-Men then get a week off before what could be a huge first place showdown with Dallas. <font color="purple"> NEXT: vs. San Francisco.

</font>
<font color="blue"> 6. WASHINGTON (3-2) </font><font color="red"> </font>: For the second straight week, the Washington defense shut down a powerful passing attack, this time holding Favre to just 188 yards while sacking him twice and recording two interceptions. After coughing up the game turning fumble, Santana Moss took himself out of the game, later explaining, "Something wasn't feeling right with me, and why go out there and keep another guy from helping us win?" <font color="purple"> NEXT: vs. Arizona.

</font>
<font color="blue"> 7. ARIZONA (3-3) </font><font color="red"> *DOWN 2* </font>: With Leinart on injured reserve and Warner sitting on the bench with a hurt elbow, the Cards had to turn to Tim Rattay (12/24 - 159 - 0 - 3). A career backup, Rattay has had some nice games at times, leading some people to wonder why he doesn't get a legit chance to start. This wasn't one of them. The current word is that Warner will only miss a week, but Arizona could be in trouble if he misses significant time. <font color="purple"> NEXT: @ Washington.

</font>
<font color="blue"> 8. PHILADELPHIA (2-3) </font><font color="red"> *UP 1* </font>: Westbrook and Tra Thomas returned, and so did the Eagles offense to the tune of 413 yards. But while Philly moved the ball consistently between the 20's, they stalled out repeatedly in the red zone, leading to four field goal attempts. The solution? Stick to the run, which the Birds all but abandon near the endzone. And a quick kudos to Sean Considine, who was everywhere in the first half and seemed like the only person interested in tackling Thomas Jones. <font color="purple"> NEXT: vs. Chicago.

</font>
<font color="blue"> 9. DETROIT (3-2) </font><font color="red"> *DOWN 1* </font>: With the highly paid Shaun Rogers and Cory Redding in the middle of their defensive line, Detroit should be good against runs up the middle, right? Wrong. They rank 29th in adjusted line yards up the middle. <font color="purple"> NEXT: vs. Tampa Bay.

</font>
<font color="blue"> 10. CAROLINA (4-2) </font><font color="red"> </font>: With the easy part of their schedule over, the Panthers have a week off to sit and enjoy their first place 4-2 record. It ain't gonna last. The rest of their schedule includes Indy, Tennessee, Jacksonville, Green Bay, Dallas and Tampa. <font color="purple"> NEXT: Bye.

</font>
<font color="blue"> 11. MINNESOTA (2-3) </font><font color="red"> *UP 1* </font>: Adrian Peterson: 21 touches, 233 yards, 3 touchdowns. Ladies and gentleman, your 2007 offensive rookie of the year. <font color="purple"> NEXT: @ Dallas.

</font>
<font color="blue"> 12. CHICAGO (2-4) </font><font color="red"> *DOWN 1* </font>: You know that offensive "strategy" of throwing the ball to Hester fifty yards behind the line of scrimmage and letting him "return" it? Well, the Bears came up with an even better idea. Throw the ball fifty yards in front of the line of scrimmage, and let Hester go and catch it. Apparently, that works too. <font color="purple"> NEXT: @ Philadelphia.

</font>
<font color="blue"> 13. SAN FRANCISCO (2-3) </font><font color="red"> </font>: There's been a lot of talk about the decline of Larry Allen and the subsequent effect on the running game. Well how about some props for LT Jonas Jennings? Last year, the Niners ranked 2nd in adjusted line yards off left tackle. This year they rank 9th, which is pretty good when you consider they rank dead last in total ALY. Unfortunately, Jennings is now out indefinitely for personal reasons. <font color="purple"> NEXT: @ New York Giants.

</font>
<font color="blue"> 14. NEW ORLEANS (1-4) </font><font color="red"> *UP 1* </font>: See Reggie run left. See Reggie run right. See Reggie run through a big hole up the middle. See Reggie catch the ball. The Saints force fed Bush the ball early and often, and it worked to the tune of 25 touches for 141 yards. And a shout out to David Patten of all people, who turned back the clock to 2001 in grabbing 8 balls for 113 yards. <font color="purple"> NEXT: vs. Atlanta.

</font>
<font color="blue"> 15. ATLANTA (1-5) </font><font color="red"> *DOWN 1* </font>: His one excellent interception aside, DeAngelo Hall got worked all game by Amani Toomer, who caught 7 balls for 89 yards and a score. I only counted one Toomer catch where Hall was not in "coverage", although "coverage" to Hall means "stand around covering nobody while watching the quarterback's eyes." Hall was also repeatedly blocked out of the play by Toomer on outside runs. And why is Bobby Petrino punting late in the game? You're down 14 points, at least give an effort to come back and win the game. <font color="purple"> NEXT: @ New Orleans.

</font>
<font color="blue"> 16. ST. LOUIS (0-6) </font><font color="red"> </font>: Gus Frerotte's numbers, adjusted for sacks: 19 of 40, 197 yards (4.9ypa), 0 touchdowns, 5 interceptions, 1 fumble. It's no wonder that Marc Bulger is dying to get back into the lineup, broken ribs be damned. <font color="purple">[b] NEXT: @ Seattle.

hoyasnaxa 10-16-2007 01:01 AM

Re: PokerFink\'s 2007 NFC Rankings (Week 6)

First.

I think seattle and Arizona are too high.

PokerFink 10-16-2007 01:02 AM

Some different polls for this week.

PokerFink 10-16-2007 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They can't both be too high. Someone has to be 4th.

Spellmen 10-16-2007 01:08 AM

I agree with your comments about Jennings. He missed a few games near the beginning of last season and the running game just wasn't the same without him. Really surprised just how badly Larry Allen seems to have fallen off. Obviously it was bound to happen, but he was pretty good last year and just seems to be terrible this year

lastchance 10-16-2007 01:09 AM

Seattle isn't too high. You are a moran.

Spellmen 10-16-2007 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does this have to happen every week? Read the disclaimer. Someone from the NFC West MUST be 4th. Aside from that, where he has Arizona ranked seems fine. They have a better chance of making the playoffs than the Eagles and other teams because they have a much, much better chance at winning their division, or getting a wildcard spot. Arizona is tied with Seattle for the lead, meanwhile teams like Philly are farther behind, and have to pass much better divisional opponents like Dallas

bottomset 10-16-2007 01:13 AM

I hope Brady has a 16/44 155 1/4 game vs Miami

I think it is impossible, but I can pray

g-bebe 10-16-2007 01:16 AM

that's a pretty low ranking for a 4-2 team (in Carolina), but then again they relaly haven't looked impressive

I would have put NYG @ 4, and then made a coinflip between WAS and SEA for 5/6, but that's just me.

good rankings!

Jack of Arcades 10-16-2007 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have put NYG @ 4, and then made a coinflip between WAS and SEA for 5/6, but that's just me.

[/ QUOTE ]

fgsafsddsg

hoyasnaxa 10-16-2007 01:20 AM

I forgot kids, lets all relax. Seattle stays then obv.

Billy Bibbit 10-16-2007 01:22 AM

If I knew for a fact that Kurt Warner would be back after the bye week then I'd easily put Arizona at #4 ahead of Seattle but I just have a feeling Warner might be out for a lot longer than that. So I'm fine with Seattle at #4 even though they look terrible.

DVOA thinks Minnesota is underrated and I'm inclined to agree with them. They are a better team than Carolina and Detroit, but I'm not sure if it's by a wide enough margin to overcome being 1.5 games back.

Also I think MEbenhoe should just start tempbanning people who come in here and argue that a Wild Card team should be #4.

PokerFink 10-16-2007 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
DVOA thinks Minnesota is underrated and I'm inclined to agree with them. They are a better team than Carolina and Detroit, but I'm not sure if it's by a wide enough margin to overcome being 1.5 games back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Minny is the one team who's DVOA, for me atleast, really stands out as wacky. Admittedly, I've only seen one of their games this year (against Detroit) and they looked particularly bad that week. The Minny-Chicago game should be on NFL replay this week, so I'll watch that.

I agree that they're better than Carolina and Detroit, but like you said, not by enough to bump them up the rankings. The obvious parallel here is Philly, and the Eagles have better numbers.

Philly: +3.6 points per game, +59.4 yards per game, 12th in sagarin
Minny: +2.2 points per game, -15.2 yards per game, 17th in sagarin

capone0 10-16-2007 01:39 AM

Philly's 1 big win skews their stats heavily. They are +35 in 1 game and -18 in the rest of the games.

PokerFink 10-16-2007 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Philly's 1 big win skews their stats heavily. They are +35 in 1 game and -18 in the rest of the games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes of course. But in terms of predictive power, whether it's DVOA or Sagarin or whatever, that doesn't matter.

Needle77 10-16-2007 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
After coughing up the game turning fumble, Santana Moss took himself out of the game, later explaining, "Something wasn't feeling right with me, and why go out there and keep another guy from helping us win?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, for their stud reciever this is something I don't want to hear. You are trying to tell me that you have no interest in your profession at the height of it no matter? Playing against a top team in the conference and watching two division rivals surge you can't get up for your job? That made me mad after reading that and I apologize for the rant, especially considering this is the first time I've seen it and don't know the whole story.

Fink I like the rankings this week. My gripe is I would have dropped Arizona to #9. But I'm sure that will work itself out when they go into Washington.

As for the polls, I like inside rushers and Peterson can do that. Jaguars, LDO, and Miami in the miracle upset.

dlk9s 10-16-2007 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Meanwhile, do you think Favre is mad at James Jones for those two fumbles last week? He only looked Jones' way twice after the fumbles last week, and then didn't throw him a single pass this week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jones was the intended recipient of three passes. One was on the first INT when Jones got wide open down the left sideline, but did not do a very good job at playing defense when Taylor came in from the safety position on a ball that hung up too long.

Jones did catch a TD from Favre in the game, but it was called back on a ridiculous holding call.

But yeah, 3 passes out of 37 isn't too good.

It was a weird game. The Packers had no business winning it. Guess it makes up for last week, when the Bears had no business winning that one. Better to be lucky than good sometimes.

dlk9s 10-16-2007 02:08 AM

Upon looking at these rankings more closely, I must say they look pretty reasonable to me. Good job.

PokerFink 10-16-2007 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Jones was the intended recipient of three passes....

[/ QUOTE ]

On further review, I'm an idiot. I used the yahoo play-by-play data, which I just realized doesn't include pass targets for incompletes. Thanks for the correction.

Nez477 10-16-2007 02:16 AM

Fink-

At first glance I really tried to come up with a scenario without 3 teams from the East making the playoffs

But I seriously cannot. I mean, good god the 3-6 matchup this year could be Tampa Bay-New York Giants.... wtf?

Great job on the rankings, I agree with all of them except I'd bump Minny up to the nine hole

Good work

Semtex 10-16-2007 02:44 AM

Saints have to be much higher. Have you seen their remaining schedule? Atlanta twice, Arizona, 49ers, Rams. The best team they play from here on out is probably the Jags.

Semtex 10-16-2007 03:10 AM

I think everyone is going to say Adrian Peterson has a better future than Bush given his monster performance yesterday (though Bush's performance was no slouch).
The thing with Bush is he's been so much quicker than everyone since high school he's been made into a space runner, thats all he's ever practiced, and it worked because at USC and NO they've had another guy to do the heavy work (Lendale and Deuce). Now that he is forced to become the main back he will have to develop this part of his game, the so called 'in between the tackles' aspect. So while it might seem right now he has little future, if any, because he hasn't shown any promise in that aspect of the game, just give it time to develop. The guy has an unbelievable gift I can't really see that given enough time to work he can't become a multiple time pro bowler.

If Reggie is always going to be used like he is with a Deuce he is going to be splitting a lot of carries, so Peterson probably ends up having the better career numbers wise. But Bush already has a trip to the NFC championship game under his belt in his rookie year while he saw significant playing time. He also shined in the game even though they lost. How long before Peterson will be able to claim such an accolade?

lastchance 10-16-2007 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Saints have to be much higher. Have you seen their remaining schedule? Atlanta twice, Arizona, 49ers, Rams. The best team they play from here on out is probably the Jags.

[/ QUOTE ]
1-4. They have to go 9-2. And no matter what happened on Sunday (let's just plz forget about this), NO is not a good team, they're probably not average.

Semtex 10-16-2007 03:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
1-4. They have to go 9-2. And no matter what happened on Sunday (let's just plz forget about this), NO is not a good team, they're probably not average.

[/ QUOTE ]
Tampa is going to take the division. Their schedule from here on out is basically identical to the Saints so there is no way the Saints make up the ground. But Carolina's remaining schedule is so brutal I could see the Saints passing them especially if they get some momentum going. That would put them in the middle of the pack, not down at the bottom. I also think NO is a slightly better team than Carolina, but it won't help they decided to mail in the first quarter of the season.

PokerFink 10-16-2007 03:29 AM

Semtex,

Before we jump them over SF, CAR, DET, MIN or CHI, I'd like to see a little more proof that the Saints are anything more than very bad.

Semtex 10-16-2007 03:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Semtex,

Before we jump them over SF, CAR, DET, MIN or CHI, I'd like to see a little more proof that the Saints are anything more than very bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
Haha given. And they play them all basically so we'll see. To be honest i have not seen any of those teams play like NO did at Seattle yesterday. Fluke maybe but remember Seattle dominated TB though they have been in somewhat of a funk lately. I also have not gotten to see any Detroit games yet so I don't know whats up with them but given the scores/highlights they have zero D.

vixticator 10-16-2007 03:59 AM

I [censored] hate how Seattle wins their divison by default every year. How hurt is Kurt Warner? Too bad for the Cards if he is out long. Rattay was useless. The 49ers need Frank Gore to get things going I don't care if he's facing 12 man fronts. Pass game does not exist but it didn't last year either.

Also, Carolina has no chance. Tampa is a stone cold lock to win the division now.

Bork 10-16-2007 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Having complained about Andy Reid's clock and game management over the past eight seasons, I finally have an answer for why he's a game theory idiot: he is a disciple of the master idiot, Mike Holmgren.

[/ QUOTE ]
Can somebody explain to me why it is idiotic game theory wise for Holmgren to go for it on fourth and long with approx 2 mins left down 10. I didn't watch the game. I only caught parts of it on the radio and am not sure of the exact situation. Still it seems to me since Brown is such a great kicker from long distance and their lack of timeouts (limits their options after the onside kick) make it seem like it at least wasn't that bad to go for the TD since they are in the redzone. People in the papers and on the radio (and on this board) seem to be going nuts over it, and I just haven't heard WHY it was dumb. Just omgz kick a fieldgoal to 'survive' lol... Is there a real explanation?

PokerFink 10-16-2007 04:32 AM

Bork,

Option 1: Kick the field goal, which is chip shot (97%), recover the onsides kick (10%) and score a TD. Cosidering the field position you get off an onsides kick, we'll give scoring the TD a 20% chance.

Option 2: Go for the touchdown (20%), recover the onsides kick (10%), get into field goal range (75%) and kick it (75%). The percentages obviously vary based on how long the fild goal is going to be, but it's probably going to be over 40 yards and maybe 50+.

Option 1: (.97)(.10)(.20) = 1.94%

Option 2: (.2)(.1)(.75)(.75) = 1.125%

But it's not just the 4th and 9 call. The whole playcalling late on that drive was abysmal. Running plays? Short passes? Ye gods. Everything should be into the endzone at that point. If you score, great, if not kick the figgie.

Bork 10-16-2007 04:40 AM

Meh, I would hope (and believe though I don't know what their stats were or how to calculate it) that they can get the TD on that fourth down play or the next couple (was it fourth and goal?) more than 20%. Had to work and missed the game though, so I'm mostly just blowing smoke. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

I did catch his press conference after the game and his press conference the next day. On the next day when asked about that call he said something like he didn't like the way they looked trying to recover the first onside kick... Yeah he obviously is kinda dumb about that stuff. Yo Mike you gotta kick try the onside kick if you score the TD ya know.

Nonfiction 10-16-2007 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I [censored] hate how Seattle wins their divison by default every year. How hurt is Kurt Warner? Too bad for the Cards if he is out long. Rattay was useless. The 49ers need Frank Gore to get things going I don't care if he's facing 12 man fronts. Pass game does not exist but it didn't last year either.

Also, Carolina has no chance. Tampa is a stone cold lock to win the division now.

[/ QUOTE ]
Seattle is just always the least-bad team, its totally retarded. Put any team from the East in that division and they easily win.

Needle77 10-16-2007 11:02 AM

Tampa Bay traded for Michael Bennett. I doubt that pushes them above the Pack but I figure it's worth noting.

capone0 10-16-2007 11:06 AM

NFC as a whole is nothing special e/c the East.

North is weak. GB is decent but I really haven't seen anything special from them and they could be 6-0 if not for a horribly played 2nd half vs Chicago.

South is decent but nothing special. Carolina is 4-2 but they've won ugly and have lost their starting QB for the year. TB has won some good games and have been suprising. Atlanta is terrible and NO has totally underperformed.

West did rep the SB 2 years ago and did win 1 playoff game last year albeit luckily against Dallas.

Seattle is getting old. Their best player, Walter Jones will be retiring soon. Their "star" rb is on the wrong side of 30. Their receivers keep getting hurt year after year.

49ers are young but are old at some skill positions which seem to be slowing them down this year. Larry Allen has been bad which makes the running game terrible. Alex Smith's progression seems to have slowed a little this year without Norv. The D has been good, especially if they weren't on the field so damn much b/c of an incompetant O.

Arizona looked like it was starting to turn it around. They really have a solid D. Just their QBs keep getting hurt. Their running game which was pathetic last year is starting to turn it around. I think you can thank the coach for that.

The Rams. What can we say about them. Some people picked them to be good but they've been really, really bad. Losing Pace is killer for the whole O. When he got hurt the team has basically gone in reverse. Doesn't help that Bulger got hurt and their D is terrible.

Right now it's anyone's division other than the Rams. All 3 teams near the top can potentially win if they can get their act together. Of the 3, this may sound homerish but the 9ers have the easiest lane to improve and that's to fix the O and get the running game going. Seattle needs to get healthy quickly and get a running game going if it's possible. I'm worried about Zona now. Rattay needs Bolding back and needs to atleast play decently for the team to succeed. It's going to be tough losing Warner and Leinart though.

The Rams, I honestly don't know how to fix them this year. Maybe have a regeneration booth for Pace and Jackson and Bulger.

Sluss 10-16-2007 11:20 AM

I think your pretty spot on Fink.

I might flip Carolina &amp; Detroit and with Warner looking like he may be out for a while Arizona is going to be in trouble. But you didn't know that when you did these.

My random thoughts on the NFC.

You had to expect Dallas to get killed. They have flaws, New England has none. I also think NE would have not been throwing at the end of the game if they had a running back.

Green Bay scares me. Brett Favre is starting to make mistakes and they still have no running game, but with their defense you have to put them as the second best team in the NFC.

WTF with the Giants? The Redskins hand them a game and all of a sudden they have all of the confidence in the world and Eli Manning can't miss a bee flying twenty yards away?

Looks like the Redskins are going to be off and on with their offense. I was wondering why Santana Moss left that game (no sound on that TV). I thought he was injured and really that quote sounds even worse than him being injured.

The Eagles baffle me. They always seem to just go away from whatever is working.

Who knows what Bears defense shows up. The one that never misses a tackle or the one who can't tackle their grandmothers. I'll be at that Bears Eagles game this week. I was really hoping to see two better teams.

ClarkNasty 10-16-2007 11:25 AM

1. Dallas
2. Washington
3. Tampa
4. Giants
5. Iggles
6. Packers
7. 9ers
8. Panthers
9. Vikings
10. Bears
11. Seahags
12. Cardinals
13. Lions
14. Saints
15. Falcons
16. Rams

niss 10-16-2007 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
5. Iggles

[/ QUOTE ]

LOLZA

Spellmen 10-16-2007 11:42 AM

Eli has been surprisingly good all year. He was a little off week 2 (or 3?) but he did have that shoulder injury. The Giants D is responsible for the turnaround. They looked like on of the worst D's I've seen in the past couple years through 2 games, and then get healthy and start playing really good

capone0 10-16-2007 11:44 AM

He was good until Toomer got hurt last year. Then the team took a nose dive.

Franchise 60 10-16-2007 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2. Washington

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
5. Iggles

[/ QUOTE ]

?

dmisfh1 10-16-2007 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Dallas
2. Washington
3. Tampa
4. Giants
5. Iggles
6. Packers
7. 9ers
8. Panthers
9. Vikings
10. Bears
11. Seahags