Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Fire Mike Holmgren (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=523082)

RickAstleyFan 10-14-2007 11:26 PM

Fire Mike Holmgren

Seriously, his time has come and gone.

Tonight was the final nail in the casket.

Even Dennis Erickson had a better record as Hawks coach.

Fire him.

MacGuyV 10-14-2007 11:26 PM

Re: Fire Mike Holmgren

Been saying he's way overrated for years.

Jack of Arcades 10-14-2007 11:27 PM

He apparently got super lucky in 05.

sublime 10-14-2007 11:28 PM

the second half coaching decisions there had to be the worst string ever made.

RickAstleyFan 10-14-2007 11:30 PM

Tonight's game literally has me on tilt.

He actually changed his mind on whether or not to go for it down 18 points in the fourth quarter on 4th down with three yards to go.

He sent out the punting team, then changed his mind when the crowd booed him, (as they should have)

But his back and forth decision making cost us another timeout, which could have come in handly late in the game.

Then, after the timeout he ran some sort of draw thing to the fullback, which got them two yards.

Then on fourth down, he doesn't kick the field goal, which obviously they needed, (11 points down)game over.

His playcalling was something a first year flag football coach would use.

I'm sick.

RickAstleyFan 10-14-2007 11:34 PM

And the Seahawks Defense had one fumble recovery, no special team returns over 10 yards, no interceptions, and when they did force a key fumble, with five seahawks around the ball, no one bothered to hit the deck and cover it.

That allowed to Saints to score one of their four first half touchdowns... the SAINTS!!!

dmisfh1 10-14-2007 11:35 PM

umm, is this holmgren guy retarded?

a draw play on 3rd and long followed by a 4th and 9... they need 11 points and they go for it on 4th and 9 instead of taking the chip shot and trying to get the ball back? lol?

RickAstleyFan 10-14-2007 11:37 PM

Holmgren has got to have secret pictures of Paul Allen bangin' Bill Gates' wife or something.

No way he should have started this season as coach.

jogsxyz 10-14-2007 11:38 PM

Take it easy on him. Holmgren was O.J.'s quarterback in junior college.

leehrat 10-14-2007 11:38 PM

to be fair, it's not like he has much in the way of personnel to work with besides walter jones. that obv doesn't excuse the play-calling

Kneel B4 Zod 10-14-2007 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
to be fair, it's not like he has much in the way of personnel to work with besides walter jones. that obv doesn't excuse the play-calling

[/ QUOTE ]

isn't he in charge of personnel?

Kneel B4 Zod 10-14-2007 11:44 PM

I try not to overreact to these things, but that play calling at the end smacks of someone who has completely lost it.

RickAstleyFan 10-14-2007 11:45 PM

He chose to let Steve Hutchinson walk, then used about the same amount of money to sign Nate Burleson off teh Vikings.

Then overpaid for Deion Branch, then we keep Seneca Wallace as our backup qb, instead of letting him play wide receiver.

Let's not even discuss the signing of Chad Brown, drafting Jeramy Stevens in the first round and all the other ridiculous moves he's made.

Bork 10-15-2007 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Then, after the timeout he ran some sort of draw thing to the fullback, which got them two yards.

[/ QUOTE ]

He didn't call that play. He called a pass and Matt audibled to the run with Weaver.

Holmgren is a very good coach. He won a superbowl with the Pack, and was unlucky not to win one in 05'. He has an extremely good career win %. It's not his fault the Seahawks are playing poorly.

Oh and he also didn't choose to let Hutchison walk. Lol that is so so so far from what happened.

A) He hasn't been the GM for years.
B) The Vikes had contract 'poison pill' shenanigans that made it essentially impossible for the Seahawks to match.

ArcticKnight 10-15-2007 12:02 AM

How many time outs did Seattle have left and how much time was on the clock? I am NOT defending Holgrem, but was just wondering if he felt he didn't have time to get a TD drive in after recovering an onside kick.

That said, it seems strange not to get the 3 points on the board right away.

RickAstleyFan 10-15-2007 12:06 AM

There would have been very close to 1:30 left had he kicked the field goal. And no timeouts.

But if you get the ball on an onside, you only have to go half way down the field.

bernie 10-15-2007 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
B) The Vikes had contract 'poison pill' shenanigans that made it essentially impossible for the Seahawks to match.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't have been an issue if the Hawks franchised Hutch as they should have.

b

bernie 10-15-2007 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He chose to let Steve Hutchinson walk, then used about the same amount of money to sign Nate Burleson off teh Vikings.

Then overpaid for Deion Branch, then we keep Seneca Wallace as our backup qb, instead of letting him play wide receiver.

Let's not even discuss the signing of Chad Brown, drafting Jeramy Stevens in the first round and all the other ridiculous moves he's made.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holmgren isn't the GM.

b

Dids 10-15-2007 12:42 AM

I will promise you that Matt audibled to a few of those draws.

Matt made some very, very bad decisions in this game, and he wasn't helped by idiots like Nate Burleson.

The person at fault here is John Marshall, who got no pass rush out of his D and let a bad team work him.

Mike is not in charge of personnel and was NOT the person who didn't franchise Hutch. That happened without his knowledge (and it was a fine move don't overpay for one of the most replaceable positions on the field).

sublime 10-15-2007 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Holmgren is a very good coach.

[/ QUOTE ]

did you watch todays game?

Dids 10-15-2007 12:44 AM

Anybody who pretends to be a Hawks fan and doesn't know that we've had a new GM for like 3 years is not allowed to comment.

Dids 10-15-2007 12:49 AM

IMO,

Mike is probably one of the top 5 coaches in the game. As an offensive play caller he's probably one of the best 2 or 3.

I used to think that Matt Hasselbeck was a top 5ish QB. Now I don't think so in the least. He can't throw deep at all and has demonstrated horrible decision making in terms of his audibles and forcing the ball into bad spots. He's regressed a lot from 2005 and it's very frustrating.

Specifically he's got a bad habit of audibling into running plays when he shouldn't.

bernie 10-15-2007 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
IMike is not in charge of personnel and was NOT the person who didn't franchise Hutch. That happened without his knowledge (and it was a fine move don't overpay for one of the most replaceable positions on the field).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it's shown just how great a move that was since he's left. Apparently he wasn't that replaceable.

b

Dids 10-15-2007 12:53 AM

bernie,

If Pork Chop stays healthy, nobody notices or complains. The biggest problems we've had the past 1.5 or whatever years aren't in the OL and locking up more cap to overpay for him wouldn't have helped them in the least.

bernie 10-15-2007 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He's regressed a lot from 2005 and it's very frustrating.

[/ QUOTE ]

So has the running game. Especially with our worthless excuse of an MVP that can't catch a ball or pass block. So valuable he's not even in the game in many key situations. God, even Weaver looks more valuable than he does now.

Not to mention our pass protection absolutely sucked most of the game.

Easily still a top 5 QB.

b

bernie 10-15-2007 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
bernie,

If Pork Chop stays healthy, nobody notices or complains. The biggest problems we've had the past 1.5 or whatever years aren't in the OL and locking up more cap to overpay for him wouldn't have helped them in the least.

[/ QUOTE ]

What team have you been watching? It's definitely the OL when it comes to our offensive problems. You notice our running isn't nearly as good. Our pass blocking just sucks. For his level of talent at that position, it isn't overpaying. To say it wouldn't have helped in the least is just a ridiculous statement.

Pork chop had a history of being injured before we let Hutch go. That isn't someone I'd call dependable. He wasn't going to stay healthy. He's the Jay Buhner of the Hawks.

The cap room would've been made up in other ways.

b

Dids 10-15-2007 01:08 AM

bernie,

You're wrong, and you've been wrong for the 2 years we've been having this argument. I should know better than trying to talk with 2p2's living example of a KJR caller.

ArcticKnight 10-15-2007 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There would have been very close to 1:30 left had he kicked the field goal. And no timeouts.

But if you get the ball on an onside, you only have to go half way down the field.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really...I thought you had to circle the field twice on horseback, and then pole-vault through the uprights.

PS. Sorry Rick...couldn't resist

dmisfh1 10-15-2007 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mike is probably one of the top 5 coaches in the game. As an offensive play caller he's probably one of the best 2 or 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

4th and 9 with about 1:45 to go in the 4th quarter down by 11. You go for it or take the short FG?

Triumph36 10-15-2007 01:51 AM

the mistake was locking up shaun alexander for a ton of money - his decline is completely expected, offensive line troubles or not.

lastchance 10-15-2007 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Seriously?

MrWookie 10-15-2007 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I will promise you that Matt audibled to a few of those draws.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if this is the case, I think this would reduce my anger at Holmgren considerably. I know his record and I know his history of greatness, but I was left befuddled about many of those decisions. Still, the mismanagement of the clock both this week and last, and not going for the FG are all on Holmgren. We definitely need to be looking for a new backup QB. We would be a lot better off if Wallace was fulltime WR, given the injuries we've sustained, and if Hasselbeck keeps sucking it up, we'll need someone new.

selurah 10-15-2007 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the second half coaching decisions there had to be the worst string ever made.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in agreement with this. I was just sitting there thinking, "What the hell is this guy doing?"

Jeff W 10-15-2007 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Seriously?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's grossly inaccurate.

Franchise 60 10-15-2007 04:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Those were poison pill contracts, they might have said the same number when the contract was singed, but most of that 40 something million given to Burleson wasn't guarenteed/he had no realistic chance of making.

The deal was structured like that so that Minnesota couldn't match the offer without giving burleson 40 something million guarenteed, which is the same thing Minny did with Hutchenson (except Hutchenson saw far more of the contract than Burleson did).

So saying they made the same money is wayyyy off base.

PokerFink 10-15-2007 04:46 AM

I'm happy that we've finally found someone that is worse at clock management and game theory than Andy Reid.

RickAstleyFan 10-15-2007 05:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Seriously?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's grossly inaccurate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh really???

Erickson's four seasons.

8-8
7-9
8-8
8-8
Total, 31-33

Holmgren
9-7
6-10
9-7
7-9
Total, 31-33

They had the same record, sorry. The same.

Jeff W 10-15-2007 05:49 AM

Ya rly. Welcome to 2007. Holmgren is 44-26 with 4 playoff appearances since 2002.

Jack of Arcades 10-15-2007 05:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Holmgren
9-7
6-10
9-7
7-9
10-6
9-7
13-3
9-7
3-3

Total, 75-59

[/ QUOTE ]

Billy Bibbit 10-15-2007 06:46 AM

Some people greatly overestimate the level of success that one can realistically expect to achieve in the NFL.