Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   What should my Wii setup be? casual gamer (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=522844)

StevieG 10-14-2007 04:00 PM

What should my Wii setup be? casual gamer

Please straighten me out on what Wii equipment I would be looking at purchasing.

I have searched this forum and done a Google search. The Wii FAQs tend to be on various features of the Wii, and a lot of the posts here tend to be about which games to get.

I am considering getting a Wii to play socially. I understand the Wii Play game comes with some extra controller piece, and that's a good thing, but really I am rather ignorant about the Wii.

So what am I looking to buy in order to have as many people as possible stand around and play tennis, etc.? What components will I need?

What is the best way for me to assemble that list (things like buying Wii Play and other tips helpful)?

housenuts 10-14-2007 04:26 PM

Re: What should my Wii setup be? casual gamer

if you want to make friends with wii you will need

1 nintendo wii
4 wii remotes
wii sports (comes with the wii)
wii play
wario ware smooth moves
rayman ravin' rabbids
super monkey ball
mario party
guitar hero 3 when it comes out
rock band when it comes out
super smash bros. brawl when it comes out

AA battery recharger with rechargeable batteries

you'll make friends in no time buddy

housenuts 10-14-2007 04:27 PM

you could also buy 4 classic controllers and download some of the virtual console games like mario kart 64.

JaredL 10-14-2007 04:33 PM

I disagree strongly on Super Monkey Ball.

Also, 4 nunchuks (1 comes with the system) would be a plus. I have 2 and so far it's only been a problem a couple times when it would have been fun to play four player on Raving Rabbids but most games don't require the chuk.

StevieG 10-14-2007 06:06 PM

Thanks for the replies so far.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, 4 nunchuks (1 comes with the system) would be a plus. I have 2 and so far it's only been a problem a couple times when it would have been fun to play four player on Raving Rabbids but most games don't require the chuk.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly the kind of stuff I need to know.

Is there any way to get the nunchuk other than buying them? Is there a package that includes nunchuk, maybe with console?

Also, will I need HDMI cables, or does the Wii come with them?

Bill 1337 10-14-2007 06:22 PM

I thought Rock Band was PS3/360 only?

Sooga 10-14-2007 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the replies so far.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly the kind of stuff I need to know.

Is there any way to get the nunchuk other than buying them? Is there a package that includes nunchuk, maybe with console?

Also, will I need HDMI cables, or does the Wii come with them?

[/ QUOTE ]

AFAIK, there is no such thing as a Wii HDMI cable. The one that comes with it is a cheapo RCA one that sucks. There are Wii component cables that you can buy that makes the picture a bit better.

TomCollins 10-14-2007 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree strongly on Super Monkey Ball.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get Super Monkey Ball. I loved the first one for GC, 2nd one meh, this one is awful.

Thalum 10-14-2007 07:11 PM

Yes, you should be buying a set of Component cables.

Also remember that Wii Play comes with a Wiimote, as does the system itself, so you only need to purchase 2 additional remotes.

JaredL 10-14-2007 09:38 PM

To be clear, buying an extra nunchuk is a must for boxing which is part of wii sports. The game itself is underwhelming but it is one of the most fun to play with friends, especially those who have never played wii before I think you have to buy them alone. I've never seen anything that includes an extra other than a few bundled wiis.

For component cables, I have the 4-in-1 that works with the wii, xbox 360 and the PS2 and 3. It works just fine and is significantly cheaper than the official component cable.

StevieG 10-14-2007 09:50 PM

Thanks, guys.

OK, so here is my shopping list:

Wii
Wii Play game title (with additional remote)
2 additional remotes
3 additional nunchuks
set of component cables (they do not come with the Wii)

Aside from additional titles, am I missing anything?

g-bebe 10-14-2007 09:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, guys.

Wii
2 additional remotes
3 additional nunchuks

[/ QUOTE ]

add some domes to that list

chicks dig the wii

KLJ 10-15-2007 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, guys.

Wii
2 additional remotes
3 additional nunchuks

[/ QUOTE ]

you won't get a whole lot of use from the extra two nunchucks so I'd wait on those.

4 remotes + 2 nunchucks is a must though. you can get a good set of component cables from monoprice.com (they're cheap and just as good as the licensed stuff)

regarding games, that's a whole other discussion depending on what you're looking for.

StevieG 10-15-2007 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

you won't get a whole lot of use from the extra two nunchucks so I'd wait on those.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised - do none of the Wii Sports game allow 4 players at once and simultaneously use the nunchuk?

Is there any such game currently?

Again, thanks, guys, this is all very helpful.

JaredL 10-15-2007 02:55 AM

Rayman has some games that are simultaneous and require the chuk. AFAIR they are all dancing games where you drop your arms to the beat of the song.

The only game on sports that uses the nunchuk is boxing. Naturally that's 1 on 1. The other games are baseball, bowling, tennis and golf which are sports where you either play one handed (bowling, tennis, pitching in baseball) or both hands do the same thing (batting in baseball, golf).

Of the obvious games you would get Rayman I discussed above, Mario Party has no use for the nunchuk, nor does wariowares.

edit: Meant 1-on-1 for boxing, fixed.

KLJ 10-15-2007 03:56 AM

2 on 2 boxing?!?!?

mario strikers charged uses 4 nunchucks (for 4 players), which is what i got my extras for.

JaredL 10-15-2007 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2 on 2 boxing?!?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

d'oh!

mahgeetah 10-15-2007 12:13 PM

you'll probably want to buy some wii points so you can download stuff from the virtual console... and you'll need a classic controller or two if you're interested in those games

StevieG 10-15-2007 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you'll probably want to buy some wii points so you can download stuff from the virtual console... and you'll need a classic controller or two if you're interested in those games

[/ QUOTE ]

I was about to ask what that was, then I found this thread:

Wii Virtual Console updates

bazooka87 10-17-2007 11:39 PM

Need nunchucks for Mario Strikers, which is the game getting the most play for me

JaredL 10-18-2007 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Need nunchucks for Mario Strikers, which is the game getting the most play for me

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. I lent out my Wii to a friend because I need to get a lot of work done in the next few weeks.

The problem is that Mario Strikers isn't such a social game, especially among women. There is a fairly steep learning curve and people playing for the first time tend to have no clue what the hell is going on. More than any other game by Nintendo it is more geared toward people that play a lot of games instead of beginners.

I would definitely recommend it as I love it, but it doesn't really fit into what the OP described.

housenuts 10-19-2007 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

mario strikers charged uses 4 nunchucks (for 4 players), which is what i got my extras for.

[/ QUOTE ]

truth. and also true to the post above me. i still think you may as well dish out an extra $40 for 2 more chuks.

don't forget about a rechargeable battery setup too. it's annoying if you don't have batteries around. there are some after market charging stations but i don't know how well they work. i wish nintendo just released their own.

also you'll probably want to buy an additional guitar when guitar hero 3 comes out for multiplayer.

StevieG 10-29-2007 11:29 AM

Thanks again for all the assistance.

One last question.

A Google search told me that the Wii has console memory for game saves and so an SD card was not necessary.

True, or should I get a 1GB card?

astroglide 10-29-2007 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A Google search told me that the Wii has console memory for game saves and so an SD card was not necessary.

True, or should I get a 1GB card?

[/ QUOTE ]

i say yes. a 1GB card runs $8.29 at newegg.

i think it's nice to have backups of your save games incase your system breaks, and i've really enjoyed using my own mp3 soundtrack (mastodon's leviathan and blood mountain albums) for excite truck. i don't know what other games support that feature, but i'm sure there are some. if you freak out on the virtual console you'll probably run out of internal space on the wii, too.

kevkev60614 11-07-2007 05:21 PM

I pretty often operate under the "if I'm eventually going to buy it, might as well buy it now" mentality. So from the suggestions in this thread, I'd prolly buy:

Wii (w/1 controller & 1 chuk) - $250
Wii Sports - Free
Cheapo RCA cable - Free
Battery charger and batteries - Already got 'em
Wii play (w/1 controller) - $50
Wii controller * 2 - $80
Wii chuk * 3 - $60
Classic controller * 4 - $80
Memory card - $10

Total - $530

And this is before tax, any Wii points for NES games, and any real Wii games.

Yikes! Somebody tell me that it's worth it, quick!

If any of these prices are wildly off, lemme know. Also, where's the best place to buy a Wii? Are any places offering package deals?

astroglide 11-07-2007 05:42 PM

<font color="blue">Cheapo RCA cable - Free</font>

i strongly suggest replacing this with a component cable set if your tv/receiver has the inputs. a gamespot mouseover comparison shows some differences.

<font color="blue">Classic controller * 4 - $80</font>

even if you're playing enough four-player simultaneous to justify immediate wiimote/nunchuck purchases, it's hard for me to imagine ever wanting four classic controllers. so far they only appear to be used by virtual console games. are any of those even four-player?

<font color="blue">Memory card - $10</font>

if you're smoking 'em while you've got 'em, i'd go bigger than 1GB on the SD card. 2GB is a running a straight $16, 4GB $48 after rebate.

kevkev60614 11-07-2007 06:19 PM

Astroglide,

You kick ass. I'm really glad you posted that first link.

Housenuts said up here that you'd use four controllers for some N64 games. But I just looked into it and the only (current) N64 games you need four controllers for are Star Fox and Mario Kart 64, so I can skip it.

Here's where you can see which games are currently downloadable on the Wii.

How much extra memory is needed? Have you guys run out of space?

Also, I just noticed that Walmart is offering a package deal with the Wii, a second controller, a second chuk, Wii Sports, Donkey Kong: Barrel Blast, component cables and a choice of four additional games (one of which would prolly be Wii Play) for $580. Options are available. Maybe this'd be my best value.

EDIT: I just priced it out and that isn't a great value.

astroglide 11-07-2007 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How much extra memory is needed? Have you guys run out of space?

[/ QUOTE ]

"it depends", and no.

it looks like 2GB is the sweet spot price-wise. i'd go with that just to delay hitting a storage wall.

StevieG 11-26-2007 02:02 PM

Thanks for all the help, guys.

I wound up going with this setup:

Wii Console
Wii Play for extra remote
1 extra nunchuk
2 more Remotes (for the total of four)
2 recharge stations by Psyclone
1 component cable by Mad Catz
1 GB SD card

Unfortunately the local Target did not have all of that, and so I am waiting on two of the remotes, a recharge station, and the component cable from Amazon.

The Wii Play game is not all that great, though I have grown fond of Find Mii, the bull ride, the tanks, and the shooting game - especially against a friend. Find Mii especially seems to be a really neat idea, and good for smiles. Made more so now that family has been over and we have started populating some Miis.

Since the Wii Play is effectively a $10 game when you consider the remote, it's probably still worth it.

I am regretting only having the one extra nunchuk, though, and will probably step up to the full complement of four soon.

rubbrband 11-26-2007 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am regretting only having the one extra nunchuk, though, and will probably step up to the full complement of four soon.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are there any games that use more than 2 besides the rafting game?

StevieG 11-26-2007 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have a lot of games as yet, so I don't know.

Some Rayman Raving Rabbids mini-games would seem to require the nunchuk for each player in multi-player mode.

StevieG 11-26-2007 04:42 PM

Also, long trip report:

<font color="#5ca5c9">Wii == huge hit with family</font>

Long Story short:

People liked playing sports, making their own Mii. Grandfather got addicted to golf. Even the Wii picture channel impressed.

Long story long:

With help from this thread, I had a Wii setup for Thanksgiving, held for the first time at my house.

So a dozen people were around, of all ages, really.

My mother, her husband Bill, and my grandfather arrived on Wednesday, and so they were the first ones to get a crack at it.

When I first played Wii Sports, I though my grandfather would like the golf. He's 86 but still very active. He's known for breaking any piece of electronics, from answering machines to DVD players, but I thought the natural swing motion would make the game inviting.

Did it ever. My grandfather played the game with Bill for around two hours Wednesday afternoon!

After dinner, the family played some analog pinochle, and I thought everyone was going to bed after a few games. Nope. "Let's play nine holes," my grandfather said.

"Steve, this game is beautiful."

Bill and I also played a game of tennis.

Then I showed them the Weather and News functions, and he was impressed again. "I forgot the Flyers were playing tonight" as we found and read the sports article on their 6-3 win.

On Thanksgiving, my teenage cousins had a blast making Miis for themselves and other family members. We had a pretty full gallery by the end of the day.

We played some Raving Rabbids mini games, but the Wii Sports Tennis, Baseball, and Boxing ruled the day. Grandfather played more golf.

Then my uncle wanted to look at photos, so I suggested the Wii, having not tried that yet. The Phot channel was great! No beeping between pictures, just let the slideshow run. Then we found the puzzle option for photos and had fun with that.

The Wii really delivered, especially for people I've never really seen play video games before.

JaredL 11-26-2007 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have a lot of games as yet, so I don't know.

Some Rayman Raving Rabbids mini-games would seem to require the nunchuk for each player in multi-player mode.

[/ QUOTE ]

The dancing games do. I'm pretty sure that's it. If you don't have enough nunchuks then you play them sequentially. Otherwise it's split screen.