Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Home Poker (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Home Game This Saturday...advice (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=521760)

THEE_LIONN 10-12-2007 08:40 PM

Home Game This Saturday...advice

I'm going to a home game this Saturday. We'll be playing 50NL with about 15 ppl coming. My live bankroll is limited and was wondering what's a good amount I could get away with bringing? It will be from 3pm-early morning next day, so lots of playing time. All the players are rather weak and I'd say 1-2 players are going to be tough.
Also what's a standard interest rate on money borrowed?

TrvChBoy 10-13-2007 12:07 AM

Re: Home Game This Saturday...advice

What do you mean by 50NL? What are the blinds?

allbad 10-13-2007 12:13 AM

what are the blind levels? I'm assuming probably 1/2 which means $50 is terribly short stacked. You're going to see a lot of gambling, so either you're calling coin flips or folding for the entire night. 1st situation you should probably take 200 and if you bust out it's just not your night. 2nd situation well, you'll probably last all night on one buyin wishing for some damned aces.

I don't see anyone bothering with charging interest on anything around $200. You should be able to get someone who trusts you to loan you the money interest free. Or better yet just have them stake you if you don't have the means/desire to pay it back.

THEE_LIONN 10-13-2007 01:28 AM

50NL as in .25/.50 blinds and no one shortstacks

Taso 10-13-2007 02:32 AM

Generally 50nl is .25/.50, 100nl is .50/1.00 and 200nl is 1/2.

I would advise bringing 4 buy ins with you, so $200.

As for interest, charging interest on a friendly loan at a home game is really lame.

Rottersod 10-14-2007 03:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to a home game this Saturday. We'll be playing 50NL with about 15 ppl coming. My live bankroll is limited and was wondering what's a good amount I could get away with bringing? It will be from 3pm-early morning next day, so lots of playing time. All the players are rather weak and I'd say 1-2 players are going to be tough.
Also what's a standard interest rate on money borrowed?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder why you wrote that 15 ppl are coming? It's a cash game so you aren't going to play against 14 others.

And if you need to borrow money to play .25/.50 you shouldn't play.

Lottery Larry 10-14-2007 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I wonder why you wrote that 15 ppl are coming? It's a cash game so you aren't going to play against 14 others.

[/ QUOTE ]

To indicate the amount of money potentially in play, perhaps?

Rottersod 10-14-2007 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get that? They're not playing 15 to one table. Sounds like 2 tables and it's a cash game and not a tourney so the players should not be moving around until late when people start leaving.

psandman 10-15-2007 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get that? They're not playing 15 to one table. Sounds like 2 tables and it's a cash game and not a tourney so the players should not be moving around until late when people start leaving.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps its one table, and the 15 people aren't all playing at the same time. So one guy busts out and they have more players to add to the game (meantime unless a guy leaves early as a winner more money gets added to the table)

pfapfap 10-15-2007 09:56 AM

Oh, cripes, who cares, it was one detail from someone not comfortable in this world, so probably not giving exactly the information you deem valid. Relax, dudes. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

springsteen87 10-15-2007 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, cripes, who cares, it was one detail from someone not comfortable in this world, so probably not giving exactly the information you deem valid. Relax, dudes. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, bring 4 buy-ins, if a friend charges you interest then i feel bad for you.

THEE_LIONN 10-16-2007 12:11 AM

ahahah i love how u say not comfortable in this world. As if im socially awkward or new to poker.
And i said 15 ppl to show how the game wont end after two ppl busts, ne ways I went to it with no money but ended up +50 but spent most the time inside with food/girls/laptop

pfapfap 10-16-2007 01:55 AM

I meant the world of this forum. Also new-ish to the world, as you still type as if you're texting. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Zetack 10-16-2007 10:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ahahah i love how u say not comfortable in this world. As if im socially awkward or new to poker.
And i said 15 ppl to show how the game wont end after two ppl busts, ne ways I went to it with no money but ended up +50 but spent most the time inside with food/girls/laptop

[/ QUOTE ]

You went to a poker game with no money, presumably with the intent to borrow money to play? On top of that you didn't play very much, apparently quit when up after not much play, and just ate the food, talked to chicks and played on the computer? Man I don't know you at all but my first impression is that you are a giant douche.

jeffnc 10-16-2007 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously not. Also obviously he won't be playing against 9 others, nor 2 others. Precisely it will be against 6 or 7 others. The number of seats does affect the type of cards you play, the variance, and the number of buy ins you might need.

jeffnc 10-16-2007 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You went to a poker game with no money, presumably with the intent to borrow money to play? On top of that you didn't play very much, apparently quit when up after not much play, and just ate the food, talked to chicks and played on the computer? Man I don't know you at all but my first impression is that you are a giant douche.

[/ QUOTE ]

Translation: you do things other than poker that I don't know how to do, like talk to girls, enjoy food and enjoy games other than poker. Therefore, I'll call you a douche to help me feel better about my insecurities.

2+2, where the douchebags always come out of the woodwork.

Zetack 10-18-2007 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Translation: you do things other than poker that I don't know how to do, like talk to girls, enjoy food and enjoy games other than poker. Therefore, I'll call you a douche to help me feel better about my insecurities.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, maybe I should simplify - you went to play in a poker game and brought no money ... you strike me as a big douche.

Notice that this is my first impression of you. Perhaps you are really a great guy. But if you showed up to my game and, and abused my hospitality in such a fashion, you would't get a second opportunity to show me that.

Also, FYI, your translation skills suck.

--Zetack

Lottery Larry 10-18-2007 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When you post like this (various replies in this thread, which you started btw), that's not an unreasonable assumption for us to make.

Take it partially as a shot across your bow, to improve your future posts. Details are important, don't assume people will read between the lines in your manner, don't expect to get off scot-free for making things difficult.

Lottery Larry 10-18-2007 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Originally, I thought it was highlighting:

- potential length of the game night
- potential stacks as the game consolidated over time
- (something else I can't remember)

... but it involved me reading in a LOT to what he actually said.

Lottery Larry 10-18-2007 01:21 PM

Z- you're mixing up replies and subjects a bit, I think?

Lottery Larry 10-18-2007 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeff, I don't know how to read your commment. At first I thought it was a satirical pointing out of assumption-making... but the last comment seemed OTT.

While Zetack inferred and reached a bit, I think that was within accceptable assumption-range, given the OP's various replies.

jeffnc 10-19-2007 09:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, maybe I should simplify - you went to play in a poker game and brought no money ... you strike me as a big douche.

Notice that this is my first impression of you. Perhaps you are really a great guy. But if you showed up to my game and, and abused my hospitality in such a fashion, you would't get a second opportunity to show me that.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, MY skills suck? You don't even know who you're responding to, do you? LOL

jeffnc 10-19-2007 09:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
On top of that you didn't play very much, apparently quit when up after not much play, and just ate the food, talked to chicks and played on the computer? Man I don't know you at all but my first impression is that you are a giant douche.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeff, I don't know how to read your commment. At first I thought it was a satirical pointing out of assumption-making... but the last comment seemed OTT.

While Zetack inferred and reached a bit, I think that was within accceptable assumption-range, given the OP's various replies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is he to tell someone how much poker to play, what food to eat, and how many girls to talk to? And then call him a "douche" for doing so? It's apparent who the "douche" was in that exchange.

Zetack 10-19-2007 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, MY skills suck? You don't even know who you're responding to, do you? LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, apparently not. Which is why I don't go around making silly translations...too much possibility of egg on the face. Nevertheless, I think my points stand, even if directed at the wrong parties.

As to your futher point to LL:

[ QUOTE ]
Who is he to tell someone how much poker to play, what food to eat, and how many girls to talk to? And then call him a "douche" for doing so? It's apparent who the "douche" was in that exchange.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget his wanking at the computer (ok I inferred the wanking part).

I don't care how much of any of that he does ordinarily. But if I host a game and provide food and beverages, and some guy I don't know shows up, say's hey, "can I play...um, and can I borrow money cause I ain't got money?" And then hits and runs except that instead of actually running he sits out and eats my food, and plays on my computer, and uses the whole thing as a social oportunity with the eye candy...

Well, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, but I would file that guy away in the big douche folder, and might mention to the friend that brought him that he might want to leave him at home next time.

If you find that kinda thing ok, I'm not going to get worked up about it. Quite frankly, if he shows up with cash in his pocket, gets up $50 bucks and says, hey I just feel off my game tonight, or whatever, I'm ok with the other stuff. But it still stumps me that you can show up at a game with no money unless you hold somebody's marker that's coming. Particularly when you're new to the game.

But lets not make a bigger deal out of this than it is, just one more douche walking around imo, he is legion.

--Zetack

Edit -- looking at his post, I inferred from the not knowing how much to bring that he was new to the game, but he doesn't actually say so. Perhaps he's a regular, with good credit at the game. That wouldn't be so bad, although I'm still not wild about people playing on credit.